Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
True, but ultimately, its the manager who wants certain players. No one forced the likes of Arnold or anyone else to spend £166m on three players who haven't improved us.
In a badly run club it is… we are were. That won’t wash with Berrada or Ratcliffe…. his Ineos model shows that.

IF they‘re even considering keeping Ten Hag on next season, I can imagine his involvement in new players being a key discussion topic… to the point it’d be a “thanks, bye” if Ten Hag won’t rewrite the terms agreed by Tweedledee, Tweedledum and Tweedledummer.

Litch

Agreed. Even with a new manager, there's no way the club will sanction another #1 keeper after having paid nearly £50m on one last summer. Unless Onana continues on his early season form, I can't see him going anywhere.
I think with signings, how you start dictates fans view thereafter. Doesnt help when you take over a club legend especially how it happened.
I think hes generally been ok in an horrendous season in general. Whilst he might not be good enough, no utd keeper has had a worse defence in front of them....

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In fairness fans have the benefit of hindsight when it comes to opinions on signings.
That's why we hire managers at £9m / year to make the right decisions on behalf of the club. The owners and executives have been notoriously bad, but more should be expected from the managers we hire.

Litch

That's why we hire managers at £9m / year to make the right decisions on behalf of the club. The owners and executives have been notoriously bad, but more should be expected from the managers we hire.
Agree.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think with signings, how you start dictates fans view thereafter. Doesnt help when you take over a club legend especially how it happened.
I think hes generally been ok in an horrendous season in general. Whilst he might not be good enough, no utd keeper has had a worse defence in front of them....
I agree. Expect him to have a better year next season as the team as a whole continue to improve.

mu4c_20le

But Onana, errors in the CL and all, has been observably positive during the league campaign. Considering his first year in a difficult position, he probably deserves another year. Just.

EtH has gone backwards, as did de Gea over a much longer period so the two aren't really the same thing.
I'm resigned to giving him at least another year based on numerous other factors, but I'm still worried about his weaknesses, which were exposed this season. If he was a free signing it would be a different story, but he cost one third of our budget. That money could've been spent elsewhere.

lex talionis

Upgrading the keeper position is not a priority this summer. As bad as Onana was most of the season, he did show flashes of brilliance upon his return from AFCON. Let’s give him another season, but we should keep an eye on emerging talents to bring in and possibly challenge Onana, whose position in the squad is a bit too secure IMO.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
As above essentially.

I'm not sure if he's been mentioned or not but I'd keep an eye on Caoimhin Kelleher next season...assuming he leaves Liverpool this summer. He was superb in Alisson's absence this year.

Last edited:

DavelinaJolie

Bloody hell, I forgot how bad he was.
Whilst that was obviously a lowlight reel, I do remember by the end of the season how it was so clear his level had dropped considerably.

I've said it before, I can understand people thinking Onana was the wrong choice, but the alternative was not keeping De Gea, he needed to be moved on.

Earth Wind and McGuire

Definitely deserves one more season playing with a settled back 4. Thought he had a fairly decent league campaign considering all the crap going on.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Upgrading the keeper position is not a priority this summer[/B]. As bad as Onana was most of the season, he did show flashes of brilliance upon his return from AFCON. Let’s give him another season, but we should keep an eye on emerging talents to bring in and possibly challenge Onana, whose position in the squad is a bit too secure IMO.
It wasn’t last summer either uit that didn’t stop them. Newcastle rumoured to be in for Ramsdale for £15m - we should be in that conversation at that price too!!

Atheist

Hopefully a new manager is atleast willing to rotate and give other goalkeepers a chance, unlike the current guy in charge.

Manncunian

When he single handedly knocked us out of the CL group I think we knew he wasn’t the one.

But congratulations to all who’ve only now come to the realisation.

David De Gea

You just can't have a keeper who is so consistent in their ability to drop a clanger. This myth that he was only bad at the start of the season is just that. He had a brief spell with no clangers then he's back to doing it consistently.

As I've said all along even the saves he made today you see that weird habit of the ball coming off at strange angles; one pops straight up and luckily out for a corner the other angled back the unnatural way and straight in to the danger area (though luckily offside).

Hopefully ETH gets a decent job after us and maybe he'll take him with him again.

Sgreddevil

I don't think he is the one to take us to the top level. You can't keep making errors every now and then at critical moments (failure to keep out savable shots, giving up unnecessary penalties etc)

tothetop96

You just can't have a keeper who is so consistent in their ability to drop a clanger. This myth that he was only bad at the start of the season is just that. He had a brief spell with no clangers then he's back to doing it consistently.

As I've said all along even the saves he made today you see that weird habit of the ball coming off at strange angles; one pops straight up and luckily out for a corner the other angled back the unnatural way and straight in to the danger area (though luckily offside).

Hopefully ETH gets a decent job after us and maybe he'll take him with him again.

Yeah agreed with this. Not only does he let in ridiculous shots it's the way he parries them back into the danger area. De Gea at least, no matter what stage of his career, would always push them out to the side

ScholesyTheWise

I mean, De Gea was very very shaky in the beginning of his time here but everyone and their dog could see the huge upside to him.
What's so promising about Onana?

Redstain

All is forgiven, but at the highest level he's not going to be suitable given his lapses in concentration did have a good game today but let's himself down now and again.

mav_9me

I mean, De Gea was very very shaky in the beginning of his time here but everyone and their dog could see the huge upside to him.
What's so promising about Onana?
That's not the right comparison at all. Ddg was young and upcoming with a ton of potential. So we saw the upside and stuck with him.

Onana is a finished product. More is expected of him. And for me he is a big reason for our backline insecurities. But obviously we have bigger problems.

Stadjer

Onana has the same issue as Maguire has. They can have a good game but still make a (small) mistake that could cost a goal. Not a great trait for a defender or goalkeeper....

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Had a good game but I always fear thar one brainfart.

We cannot have a keeper like that at this level but probably not something we can change this summer