Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

The Bloody-Nine

Apart from the goal he was awesome today. Even after the goal, he was taking control on crosses and nullifying the City attack.

Nowhere near as bad as some are trying to make out
Apart from the calamitous, inept blunder that cost us a goal and put us under immense pressure, he was awesome.

van Nistelrooy

Made an excellent save earlier in the second half. Conceding that goal though was an absolute shocker (again)!

Can't be trusted to be our goalkeeper.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Last time (probably not) that I'll say it. Every save comes off the wrong part of his hand, these errors will always happen because they're fundamental flaws in his technique.

GazTheLegend

Guardiola would love to have him in his team I think. He's made more saves than any other goalie. In a fully functioning team he'd be great but clearly his blunder today was less than ideal.

Kept us possession a lot!

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
There was a cross late on that he punched out when it was an easy catch, even the commentators questioned why not catch it with all the space to do so. This was a few minutes before the goal if memory serves.

I wonder if he has confidence issues during matches. There are times he looks amazing in goal and other times you're like how the feck did he learn to play this position. He truly reminds me of Barthez but nowhere near the Frenchman's level at peak comparison.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Was brilliant then had to leave one squeak by him

Abraxas

Such a frustrating keeper. Not really a descriptor you want of a goalkeeper. Steady Eddie, consistent, these things would be better. Not somebody that combines great moments which shite that cost you goals.

mav_9me

Seems like we both agree he needs to be replaced.
Yes. I think it's highly unlikely but I'd go for a steady 7/10 basics keeper, preferably age on his side, and maybe look for courage to come for the ball. I'd even take a stopgap while we look for a starter.

Oscar Bonavena

I like the guy. I think most United fans instinctively like the guy. This is the problem with Andre. He could be having a 8 or 9 out of 10 performance like he was having today, but the next mistake is always around the corner.

If we decide to keep him on as our long term gk, we're gonna have to reconcile ourselves to that fact.

Judas

Open to offers
Can't believe during the actual bloody final this thread was bumped with shite :lol:

Should have saved their goal, shame once again its a performance with so much positive but with what could have been a very costly error.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I’ve criticised him a lot this season but it is unquestionable that his form in the last 3 or 4 months has been considerably better.

he still scares the shit out of me and always has a bad mistake in him. But just like the manager I want to give him another chance next season.

Yakuza_devils

It's not only the mistake. It was the magnitude of the situation. If City's grow in confidence and score another goal to equalise, mostly likely we will lose the match as we have been defending entire 2nd half. That conceded goal could cause us the FA Cup. He already knocked us out of CL. We were lucky this time.

SAF was nervous too as he was keep watching his watch haha

Kostov

It was another feck up of great magnitude in a time we were comfortable and leading with 2 goals. It brought our opponents back in the game and we were lucky City didn’t equalise. He did the same in the CL we weren’t lucky there. This club needs a better GK, Onana isn’t good enough.

RedDevil@84

Average keeper. Always seems one step away from trying something silly and making an unwanted mess. His hitting the ball out is just kick and inshallah. Sell if we have the money.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Looking forward to seeing if playing with a consistent pair of CBs makes a positive difference. Difficult first year for him but has at least shown signs if improvement.

Litch

I think its a concentration thing and whether thats something that he can change, time will tell. Def never played at this level of intensity and scrutiny before.

Everything is a trade off in football and there are better keepers but without the mentality. The one thing he does have is elite mentality and self belief. Watch any interview, its without question.

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

It was another feck up of great magnitude in a time we were comfortable and leading with 2 goals. It brought our opponents back in the game and we were lucky City didn’t equalise. He did the same in the CL we weren’t lucky there. This club needs a better GK, Onana isn’t good enough.
I've read - and obviously this isn't necessarily a good sign in any way shape or form - that Onana made more saves than any other keeper in the entire premier league. Like this isn't necessarily a sign of greatness for Onana in and of itself but he's been busy this year that's for sure. He's had to make more saves than Luton Towns keeper.

I feel certain that with a better back line he'd be fine. I imagine that Onana is the sort of goalkeeper Pep Guardiola LOVES - we just did things the wrong way round and got the football playing goalkeeper before we got any players that could play football in front of him.

Kostov

I've read - and obviously this isn't necessarily a good sign in any way shape or form - that Onana made more saves than any other keeper in the entire premier league. Like this isn't necessarily a sign of greatness for Onana in and of itself but he's been busy this year that's for sure. He's had to make more saves than Luton Towns keeper.

I feel certain that with a better back line he'd be fine. I imagine that Onana is the sort of goalkeeper Pep Guardiola LOVES - we just did things the wrong way round and got the football playing goalkeeper before we got any players that could play football in front of him.
It's a testament of how bad the team has been, shambolic, and he has been a big part of that chaos imo. Not long ago a certain GK was constantly blamed for lack of command of the box or leadership or whatever not, now all the chaos and the nearly 100 goals conceded after the record number of shots conceded are used as an excuse to mask some really poor goalkeeping.

I don't think with a better back line he'd be fine, if anything I think his lack of concentration and proneness to feck ups will be more evident. Why? Well most of this feck ups have actually come up when the team has been playing really good. Saturday was an example, so did the Bayern away match, the Galatasaray fiasco just of the top of my head.

bringbackbebe

Perhaps but it's hard to fathom some of the goals he's let in. Take Doku's goal in the final for example. These things can't be worked on, not for a 28 year old keeper.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Excited to see him play in a better Utd side. Shame about the error, but he was flawless aside from that. Don’t think we get close to winning the game with De Gea in net like last year passing the ball back to city over and over and over again.

Judas

Open to offers
Sort out the attack so we can accept the occasional brain fart. At the moment nearly all our games are on a knife edge, so his mistakes are often costly.

But if we're 5-0 up, one little silly sausage mistake isn't the end of the world! Problem solved. Next.

arnie_ni

Last time (probably not) that I'll say it. Every save comes off the wrong part of his hand, these errors will always happen because they're fundamental flaws in his technique.
He had a good save from walker maybe (down to his right) and it almost fell to halaand who just happened to be offside. He palmed it straight back into the 6 yard box instead of out wide

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Claimed that cross from the corner in injury time I think. DDG wouldntve done that and who knows. His mistake sticks out more though

Longlivekeano

His goalkeeping is not as bad as Taibi. But reminds me of Tim Howard. Seems generally solid but always has 1-2 clangers in him. Keep him as 2nd choice for cup games and buy a much more stable, reliable goalie as 1st choice

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I expected some bad mistakes the first year but even accounting for that he's had more than average. Added to that he has a clear weakness with the low shots. He has to improve in both next season otherwise starting next summer we should always be open to moving on and improving..

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Great points made above. Not bumping thread on day of winning cup, etc. Pity about letting in that goal; took a bit of shine off it and caused stress in added time. He reminds me of people who exude huge confidence and personality but are concealing a tendency towards stage fright. The big games, CL, Bayern, etc, seems to be when he is most likely to fluff his lines.

justsomebloke

I think he has more than earned tentative first choice status with his general performance over the second half of the season. But to cement it, he's got to cut down on the bloopers this coming season. A top GK can get away with 2-3 of those in a season, but not 5-10.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He had a good save from walker maybe (down to his right) and it almost fell to halaand who just happened to be offside. He palmed it straight back into the 6 yard box instead of out wide
Yep, one of my gripes with Onana, he does palm the ball back into the danger area, instead of pushing it wide of the goal.
Played much better after coming back from AFCON, but I always feel there's a mistake just waiting to happen, he doesn't fill me with total confidence.
The first Walker shot was a terrific save though, not for getting to the ball, but what a strong hand/wrist/arm to divert the ball away, yet that may be why he pushes the ball back out, because he's so strong in that area.

Red_Aaron

We've only just brought him in so he'll be first choice at the very least next season - possibly the one after that too - they won't invest another 40-50m in another goalie yet

What we need to do is find a viable 2nd choice - someone with potential who can play early cup rounds or europa with a view to being ready to push for 1st choice the following season. Maybe that's bayindir idk clearly ETH wanted to play Onana in every game so as to help him settle down after a poor start. Maybe we'll see the turk more next year but if not a developing keeper is a must buy for me

Kostov

Excited to see him play in a better Utd side. Shame about the error, but he was flawless aside from that. Don’t think we get close to winning the game with De Gea in net like last year passing the ball back to city over and over and over again.
Yes it was thanks to Onana that Gvardiol and Ortega made a total feck up gifted us a goal and then made Walker to forget to defend. :wenger:

All that in 24% possession of the ball that we enjoyed, yeah Onana definitely contributed to much of that with his 49% pass completion, compared to 49% of DDG last year. :wenger:

Lots of posters on here driving the same narrative, but you take the biscuit easily,.