Unpopular opinion: Ronaldo will be a huge miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Tbh I started to see and feel this. The caf laughed at the Chelsea fans warning us about Jose so I'd listen to you Juve fans.

Ronnie surely is a fantastic goal scorer but truth is aside from the goals he offers very little to the general play. I'd say he even has a negative effect on how the team currently work especially in the building phase and pressing.

And regarding how Greenwood has been behaving recently I'm really worry about the team's harmony as well. It's never a good thing for the team's harmony to give a certain player a privilege compare to his teammates. On one hand I understand Ronnie has earned that privilege because he scores goals and his status, his history. But on other hand I also understand why Greenwood may think if he scores too he could be given that same privilege. Or Rashford when he comes back, or someone else.

Imo Ole must solve this asap before things would escalate. Of course many here who worship Ronnie won't like what I say but I have to say what I really think.
That's generally true but this particular Juve fan is a bit of a nutter.

Strelok

That's generally true but this particular Juve fan is a bit of a nutter.
I didn't read his posting history so no idea. But a month or so ago I've read on reddit Juve fans didn't really rate Ronnie despite all the goals he scored for them. I feel a bit weird at first reading that but now I probably start to see why.

He'sRaldo

I don’t thin he should start at 9 tbh. We’d be better with Cavani there and Ronaldo floating in off the left. It’d create space for him to attack.
Yeah I agree.

Cavani should be the focal point with Ronaldo floating around doing damage. He's never really fit in well as a sole no 9.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only question anyone needs to ask, is do we have a better option up front.

And we don't. It's obvious.

edcunited1878

Starting Cavani and Ronaldo denies United of a proven forward coming off the bench. As talented as Greenwood is, he's no where near the level of forward play like Cavani and Ronaldo.

Ronaldo shouldn't start every match and either him or Cavani must start as a CF, but very rarely, if ever do they start together.

FerociousCorgis

Yeah I agree.

Cavani should be the focal point with Ronaldo floating around doing damage. He's never really fit in well as a sole no 9.
problem is the floating role is what bruno does essentially. So maybe this would work if you want to give bruno a rest that day.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Would try all three of Cavani, Ronaldo and Bruno with Cavani playing upfront. After all, we would get Cavani work-rate and better link up ability, while Ronaldo has a history of thriving in such a partnership.

Whether it is a free role behind Cavani pushing Bruno a bit deeper or ideally moving Ronaldo more to the wing at the expense of Sancho/Greenwood we should test it.

Last edited:

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus
Tbh I started to see and feel this. The caf laughed at the Chelsea fans warning us about Jose so I'd listen to you Juve fans.

Ronnie surely is a fantastic goal scorer but truth is aside from the goals he offers very little to the general play. I'd say he even has a negative effect on how the team currently work especially in the building phase and pressing.

And regarding how Greenwood has been behaving recently I'm really worry about the team's harmony as well. It's never a good thing for the team's harmony to give a certain player a privilege compare to his teammates. On one hand I understand Ronnie has earned that privilege because he scores goals and his status, his history. But on other hand I also understand why Greenwood may think if he scores too he could be given that same privilege. Or Rashford when he comes back, or someone else.

Imo Ole must solve this asap before things would escalate. Of course many here who worship Ronnie won't like what I say but I have to say what I really think.
True.

Some fans are just blind because of the love the have for one WC player.

What Manchester United need is (my only Opinion) a Manager who motivates them, tells them to play as a team, not individually. Look at Allegri, he likes teamwork. A lot of people believe that he is a defensive, but that is not true. He is a balanced Manager. He uses what he has. He is like Mo Farah, start the race from the last and finish it first.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I love that Ole's ability as a manager is somehow the responsibility of Ronaldo in this thread :lol:

5 goals in 5 games, long may it continue.

LARulz

If Greenwood and Rashford can't understand why Ronaldo gets treated potentially differently then they are idiots

432JuanMata

The thread title let down the op as saying unpopular opinion means you fully believe it would happen. Should of went with Bold Prediction instead.
Also never doubt Cristiano Ronaldo for christ sake

ti vu

I love that Ole's ability as a manager is somehow the responsibility of Ronaldo in this thread :lol:

5 goals in 5 games, long may it continue.
:lol:

I felt as if I have been in a coma the past 3 years where we play free flowing attacking football, and scoring for fun. Now Ronaldo gonna upset that team, going by what some people talking.

If anything, they're making early excuses for when we fail make our season relevant again (challenge, good run in CL, or finally win some silverware).

Last edited:

432JuanMata

:lol:

I felt as if I have been in a coma the past 3 years where we play free flowing attacking football, and scoring for fun. Now Ronaldo gonna upset that team, going by what some people talking.

If anything, they're making early excuses for when we fail make our season relevant again (challenge, good run in CL, or finally win some silverware).
Juve fans where saying Ronaldo while scoring for fun was the reason they were poor and when he left some where saying they be better off, good win last night aside they are awful

Sviken

Juve fans where saying Ronaldo while scoring for fun was the reason they were poor and when he left some where saying they be better off, good win last night aside they are awful
Juve were awful against Chelsea. They are awful in the league, as well. Ronaldo isn't stopping them from playing good football, the team is just atrocious. Allegri is also a defensive manager so that doesn't do much to help. Same as us. The only reason we're were we are is because of Ronaldo. The reason we aren't playing good attacking football is because our manager is quite frankly - shit. Not because of Ronaldo. If anyone has ever watched him at Madrid, they'll see that Ronaldo is the same player he always was. Ole is just using him wrong. And still - without him I don't know where we would be. He's the only thing, along with De Gea, still keeping Ole in his job.

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus
Juve were awful against Chelsea. They are awful in the league, as well. Ronaldo isn't stopping them from playing good football, the team is just atrocious. Allegri is also a defensive manager so that doesn't do much to help. Same as us. The only reason we're were we are is because of Ronaldo. The reason we aren't playing good attacking football is because our manager is quite frankly - shit. Not because of Ronaldo. If anyone has ever watched him at Madrid, they'll see that Ronaldo is the same player he always was. Ole is just using him wrong. And still - without him I don't know where we would be. He's the only thing, along with De Gea, still keeping Ole in his job.
You didn’t watch the game did you. That is the only game this season Juve were meant business while Chelsea looked like a team unprepared for the game. We lead the group with six points and could earn another six for next two games.

We Juve fans believe Allegri is the only hope we have that can win us the UCL. Juve is lucky to have him back.

The only Italian team that never disappoints the peninsula.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I think we pretty much have the same problem with Messi at PSG. Will they score important goals? Yes. Do they really make your team a lot better compared to what you had at this position (Di Maria for PSG, Rashford/Cavani/Greenwood for United). Maybe a little but their workrate is pretty low.

Could your team be better without them had you spent the money differently (for exemple by buying a good midfielder). That's the real question. I'm tempted to say yes at least for PSG.

SirScholes

I think we pretty much have the same problem with Messi at PSG. Will they score important goals? Yes. Do they really make your team a lot better compared to what you had at this position (Di Maria for PSG, Rashford/Cavani/Greenwood for United). Maybe a little but their workrate is pretty low.

Could your team be better without them had you spent the money differently (for exemple by buying a good midfielder). That's the real question. I'm tempted to say yes at least for PSG.
I think you’re right to a degree, our problem is you could have whoever you want up top….it won’t change the average centre midfield and average manager.

Ronaldo improves us, he’s scoring almost every game, doing his job same as rvp did. It’s up to Ole to make us a better team.

Strelok

True.

Some fans are just blind because of the love the have for one WC player.

What Manchester United need is (my only Opinion) a Manager who motivates them, tells them to play as a team, not individually. Look at Allegri, he likes teamwork. A lot of people believe that he is a defensive, but that is not true. He is a balanced Manager. He uses what he has. He is like Mo Farah, start the race from the last and finish it first.
That I'd disagree. What we desperately need now simply is a good midfielder.

If Greenwood and Rashford can't understand why Ronaldo gets treated potentially differently then they are idiots
I wouldn't call someone an idiot because they think they can also have the same privilege of a teammate if they're as good as that one. Or don't blindly worship someone the same way you do.

It's like you work with a teammate that has a privilege of doing only what he feel like. Because he's really good at something. While you have to do things you don't like. Is it wrong for you to think if you're as good at that thing as your teammate you'd get to do what you like too? I can't say that's wrong.

Strelok

I'd agree with you. But problem is if we haven't signed him he'd have signed for City and tbh it would be a big big slap to our face. We had basically no choice. And we looked like we planned to finish our window after Varane anyway.

However imo currently we're facing pretty much the same problem when we play the current Martial up top, if you put aside the goals. Especially when a very important part of how we play is our quick, devastating transition. Maybe it's simply because we're missing Rashford. Let's see when he comes back.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yeah I agree.

I'm not sure that works. They will get in each others way as Ronaldo won't be very long on the left

Rajma

It requires a real tactical mind to accommodate him given his low work-rate and lack off hold-up play, and despite Ole’s limitations as a manager I do think it won’t be an easy task to overcome even for better managers out there.

Ibrahimorich

I think it's becoming increasingly obvious that we're a worse TEAM with Ronaldo. Cavani should be starting home games to lead the press from the front. Ronaldo can play games where we expect to be counter attacking.

My Juve mate was glad to be rid of him, which had me worried from the start and now I'm starting to see why.

Honestly think we've shot ourselves in the foot here. Could be another Sanchez situation although obviously not as bad since Ronnie will still score goals and Sanchez was absolute pap. But the high wages and negative impact on the team seem similar.

Not only for the short term either. Will we be able to sign a young, hungry striker to fill the role once both Cavani and Ronaldo are gone when they're both here?

avgp_1

He is the one dragging this team along. He brings urgency to the play, pushing us to score, go for the wins etc. Otherwise like Southampton away earlier this season, where everyone was just strolling around after the equalizer, would be a regular occurrence. There is no plan to the way we play. Atleast with him around others have to try harder.

Yeah his workrate isnt the greatest off the ball but we havent been not winning because of that. Its the incompetence around him and from the management.

UpWithRivers

It requires a real tactical mind to accommodate him given his low work-rate and lack off hold-up play, and despite Ole’s limitations as a manager I do think it won’t be an easy task to overcome even for better managers out there.

Isnt pressing literally running toward a player? If you put me on the pitch its the one thing I could get to the top of the table on. Ok there is an element of fitness but arnt all top players fit? I dont get it. How hard is it for Ronaldo to press.

Rajma

We have more problems than Ronaldo but this is something a new manager will have to solve, we can’t carry him off possession as it stands.

El Jefe

The OP got a lot of shit for this thread but point 2, 3 and 4 have clearly been right based on his last two games for us. Villareal too but he made the winning contribution at the end.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He hit the ground running and scored goals early on. But then so did Dan James.

predator

Youth NITK
I knew what we were getting with ronaldo. I've watched him alot at Juve and expected him to go missing in games when we play bad and knew he would be unstoppable when we are in control and give him adequate service.

Stop with the knee jerk. Let's see what happens regarding the manager. I've lost my patience with Ole after what happened today. We need someone else who actually believes in the players and believes in himself aswell as knowing a thing or two about tactics.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

Those first 10 show me that “pressing” is a lazy ass thing to harp a player on.

“Promising striker he score lots of goals”

“Hmm but….does he press though ??”

That shit means feck all unless you play in a system or style of play which requires that to be done.

News flash…United don’t.

“Dam we tied 0-0 or lost 3-0 but look at that High quality pressing”

Just silly really.

Rajma

Those first 10 show me that “pressing” is a lazy ass thing to harp a player on.

“Promising striker he score lots of goals”

“Hmm but….does he press though ??”

That shit means feck all unless you play in a system or style of play which requires that to be done.

News flash…United don’t.

“Dam we tied 0-0 or lost 3-0 but look at that High quality pressing”

Just silly really.
How did Leicester score their first goal today? Wasn’t that through tireless work of their strikers closing down the defenders and pressing them into mistakes? I’m not saying this will always lead to goals but it will disturb opposition’s build-up play even if by a small margin but at the end of day at the top level these small details do add up.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How did Leicester score their first goal today? Wasn’t that through tireless work of their strikers closing down the defenders and pressing them into mistakes? I’m not saying this will always lead to goals but it will disturb opposition’s build-up play even if by a small margin but at the end of day at the top level these small details do add up.
I hope you’re feeling vindicated. The shit you got over the OP was ridiculous. The idea that a fecking 36 year old prima donna might actually cause more problems than he solves for a manager who is well below the top tier was hardly an outrageous suggestion.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think we already had Cavani who already offered exactly what we will want from Ronaldo. It’s a mixture of sentimentality and marketing opportunism. I don’t think he’s physical or hardworking enough to trouble the better PL defenders. I also don’t think we are creative enough to make pure chances for him over and over. He’s probably going to cancel Bruno out somewhat. We are a scrappy team and I feel like we needed more fighters instead of technical players or world class players on the way down. i hope I’m wrong.

He scores. He was shite tonight though.
This was what I called on my first post in this thread and got absolutely battered for it.

Dve

I hope you’re feeling vindicated. The shit you got over the OP was ridiculous. The idea that a fecking 36 year old prima donna might actually cause more problems than he solves for a manager who is well below the top tier was hardly an outrageous suggestion.
It does mean that the high pressing game we used to see from United is out the door. Cavani pressed 13.73 times per 90 minutes last season, while Ronaldo presses 2.7 times, far less than any player in the PL. This does not worry you even a bit?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It does mean that the high pressing game we used to see from United is out the door. Cavani pressed 13.73 times per 90 minutes last season, while Ronaldo presses 2.7 times, far less than any player in the PL. This does not worry you even a bit?

Of course it worries me. I’m agreeing with the OP. I was delighted when we signed him. It was romantic, nostalgic and exciting. Plus we fecked over City. Perfect. From the very next morning the warm and fuzzy feeling wore off and the logical part of my brain kicked in. He‘s going to cause more problems than he solves and that’s going to be more and more of a headache for the manager (whoever he is) over the duration of Ronaldo’s contract.

Rajma

I still hope that a new manager can find this complex solution which will bring the best out of Ronaldo’s current qualities because I love this club. I’m just surprised so many are wetting their pants at the slightest criticism of an aging player who’s left us after being treated as a “slave” according to him, considered ManUtd as a stepping stone, and was seriously flirting with city until we made a desperate move.

Status
Not open for further replies.