Update on players RedCafe wanted over the summer

Giggsyking

If Sancho was/is hesitated to join Manchester fecking united, then good riddance.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I think the idea now is to get that by utilising Cavani as a stop-gap forward option whilst the likes of Pellestri and Diallo adapt to English life/football. I'd be surprised, personally, if we go hell-for-leather for another RW in January/next summer after shelling nearly £50m on those two lads, whether they're 'young prospects' or not.
I agree. I think the Sancho ship has sailed with them two coming in.

If I had to predict the next big target it would be Haaland which Cavani is the placeholder for.

You can never predict who next summers 'must sign' is though.

ForeverRed1

Like most I wanted sancho last window and was pretty disappointed when it didn’t happen.

looking at our summer, it’s not actually as bad as we first thought, we actually have decent squad depth going on.

we have all these games coming thick and fast and we’re going to come up against injuries and fatigue. We have plenty of formations and teams we can play around with and still win games. This is going to help us massively. Looking at the last few games. We can have a fairly strong squad playing but the fact we can look to the bench and bring on players of the calibre we can, is massive for us and can prove to be the difference.

This is a exciting squad of players we have.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I remember when Wumminator said a few months ago, that we'd be challenging for top 3.
He also said that LVG should not be sacked, when it was plainly obvious that his brand of football was the most boring in Europe and we were being cut open by teams, as soon as they got possession of the ball.

Wumminator, please give us some more predictions.
:smirk:

K Stand Knut

Dortmund not selling Sancho is turning out to be a stupid decision for them.
1) Germany is in lockdown again which means no football and which no spectators for Dortmund, they already quite a bit of loss for the previous season
2) Sancho is looking half the player he was next season plus one year less on his contract.

I could see us signing him in for around 70-80m euros.
football doesn’t appear to have been suspended

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Obvious and easy, he should not be thinking twice to join Manchester united. We want committed players that believe they can lift the club even higher.
But where's this come from? By all accounts he wanted to join over the summer?

Giggsyking

But where's this come from? By all accounts he wanted to join over the summer?
It was reported he was not in a hurry to join, that he is happy to stay one more year in BVB to see how united develop and he would be also open to offers from other clubs not only united. I would love to see a player with his ability play in united, but I dont want players coming here just for the money or are hesitant to join the club.

NWRed

I'm not sure about that. Pellestri is gone into the youth squad and seemingly needs a bit of time there to develop, while Diallo isn't playing for the senior team at Atalanta.

I know players don't really break through in Italy til they are a bit older generally but I don't know if either will be ready to come into the first team this season or even next season.

We still need a proper first team RW. We could still be in for him if (and its a big IF) the price is right.
I know they'll need time (although Sancho isn't the finished article, he might not adapt to the Prem and according to reports he was better in 18-19 than 19-20, and has been poor this season so far), the point is we shouldn't be spending £120m on someone else's discovery, we should be trying to make our own discoveries.

Mindhunter

Yeah. The media were desperate for us to spunk 120 million in the covid climate as it would have generated headlines for Months.

Still would love him at United but that price tag comes with a LOT of ready made problems. Petrelli and Traore have been allowed to go under the radar and are extremely exciting looking players anyway, this was a proper Ferguson esque summer :lol:Even the Cavani signing was the sort of thing Ferguson literally did in 1998 with Sheringham and you should have seen the moaning back then about that signing a year before he won us the treble.
The Cavani signing was good. People are complaining that if we really wanted him then we wouldn't have waited that long but I don't see anything wrong with that. It's a one year deal and is clearly a stop-gap till we bring someone else in next summer.

The problem with the Sancho signing (outside of the ridiculous ask from Dortmund) was he wouldn't have made us instant title challengers either. Our attack would have vastly improved but I don't think it would have been able to compete with Liverpool and Man City for the title this season. And that's what makes it really surprising that people are taking the Sancho signing as an intent of ambition.

It would have been callous by the club to tie in millions of dollars on a player who wouldn't immediately turn us into title challengers especially in a highly unpredictable market. This transfer would have set us back several years and would have probably tied our hands going forward. I am really happy with the way we have approached our signings this summer.

Withnail

I know they'll need time (although Sancho isn't the finished article, he might not adapt to the Prem and according to reports he was better in 18-19 than 19-20, and has been poor this season so far), the point is we shouldn't be spending £120m on someone else's discovery, we should be trying to make our own discoveries.
I don't know what criteria they are using for saying he was better in 18/19 than 19/20 but he had more goals and more assists in less minutes in 19/20 than he did the year before.

I'd be surprised if that transfer saga hadn't unsettled him a touch and it's been a bit of a strange start to the season but he's the real deal by all accounts and if he can do it in the bundesliga at 18/19 he'll adapt to the PL.
We'll have to wait and see how the season pans out before writing him off. He is still only 20 after all.

I know what you mean about making out own discoveries and we seem to be doing that judging by the amount of talent we are bringing in at youth level and hopefully some of them come good.

I still think there is room for a big signing if we're not being held over a barrel. If his price comes down with less time on his contract etc and we can get him for 60 - 80m next summer I think we should still go for it.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think a lot of people wanted Ndombele here at United, tbf he has turned it around at Spurs, looked really good last game I seen him in. Problems were mostly fitness related it seems, really has that x factor and has a good eye for a pass. His defensive contributions have increased as his fitness levels improve. Didnt realise he is only 23, thought he was older for some reason.

Lentwood

Love this thread @Wumminator, I couldn’t be happier with the approach the club has taken since Ole arrived.

Most posters will never appreciate how hard it is to find top players with top attitudes who can maintain elite fitness levels across a 60-game season AND adapt to the club and the culture AND play in a position/style that suits the team AND are available at the right price at the right time AND want to join the club for the right reasons.

Most posters’ experience of a football transfer and building a squad is using the “Filter By” column on Football Manager to find a Brazilian striker with 20 Finishing and 20 Pace available for £1.5m