US Men's National Team Discussion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The current hope for US football is in foreign born US nationals, or players relocating very young. The youth system here is very, very poor. It’s mainly a pay to play system that favours upper middle class families who don’t take sport as seriously as a career. It can be a pathway to a college scholarship, but any player going through the admittedly resource rich college system, will be too old to make a significant impact as a professional when they finally emerge.

The MLS is very poor in terms of quality, and most of the games are on artificial surfaces. Soccer has blown up here as a recreational and youth sport, but again it’s a business not a true development pathway to professional sports. The youth clubs of most professional teams are shite. The local Hispanic teams in our neighbourhood routinely thrash the Chicago Fire A teams at every youth level. And these kids are just playing for fun.

The US has some good and interesting young talents coming through. Still way less than most major nations, but they are all getting their development abroad. That’s the common denominator in their success to date.
Some of the academies are decent. Dallas in particular, but you are right in that their best talents need to move abroad. If MLS wasn’t so delusional and accepted that they were a feeder league then I think it could work out. Players like Sargeant wouldn’t sit a year after running down their academy contract while waiting to be eligible in the EU. They could play that year, or 2, and then be sold on for a reasonable fee.

The pay to play system is an abomination. Enough said.

United in sin

From a southerners perspective... Soccer is still well down the totem pole in American sport.

Take for instance the high school sports season... Soccer is a spring sport. So is track and baseball. Football coaches are going to push their skill players to do track and baseball is a traditional pastime that most Americans know and understand.

There’s also a serious negative stereotype issue across America that soccer is “communist football” and “for sissies”.

Finally there’s a coaching problem. Most traditional American sports have plenty of people ready and willing to coach. Soccer still doesn’t yet. A lot of the youth coaches and even high school coaches aren’t really knowledgeable about the sport, which leads to poor development at the most crucial ages to produce a “golden generation”.
Those that parrot this ideas like Anne Coulter are firmly in the minority now. You just have to look at Atlanta united and Orlando's average attendances in pre covid times. Soccer has swiftly become interwoven into Atlanta's culture these days, even pulling in support from conservative suburban towns like Kennesaw and Gainseville

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Some of the academies are decent. Dallas in particular, but you are right in that their best talents need to move abroad. If MLS wasn’t so delusional and accepted that they were a feeder league then I think it could work out. Players like Sargeant wouldn’t sit a year after running down their academy contract while waiting to be eligible in the EU. They could play that year, or 2, and then be sold on for a reasonable fee.

Yep. I’ve been running a huge indoor soccer center for the last 12 years. And while the pay to play system has gotten me well paid, it is indeed an abomination.

Are you a fellow Atlanta United fan?

Anyways, agree on Bello. I saw less of Atlanta this year after we moved from Birmingham, but I have always been a fan.

Quick aside, talked with a member of the local USL team who knows a ton about US Soccer. When I asked him about Carlton he just should his head and said “what a fecking waste”.

Anyways, based on what I saw from Miazga today I want to see Richards fast tracked as Brooks partner. Brooks looked so comfortable building from the back against Wales. Imagine what he could do if he was not having to carry Miazga or Long or Zimmerman!
Yep. Born and raised in ATL, season ticket holder since 2017. Still think Bello has a way to go in terms of his final delivery and positioning but his dribbling and technique is already among the best in our left back pool imo.

I agree about Richards being paired with Brooks, both are so comfortable on the ball. Miazga, Long, Zimmerman and Ream all have one glaring weakness or another in their game that makes me distrust them.

Another Atlanta boy, Miles Robinson, also suffered playing in a horribly coached and constructed team this year. He looked like the best CB in MLS and a surefire call-up last year. One of the few defenders in our pool with 'rolls-royce' potential. Already had all the physical tools coming out of college and his passing and reading of the game took a huge step forward under de Boer. Unfortunately, that reading was a lot more inconsistent this year. Really think he should be a callup come the WC as well (obviously I'm biased), but it's up to him to show what he's capable of for the next season and a half. Playing in a competent team would help that, but he's probably fallen behind the aforementioned group in Berhalter's eyes this year.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yep. Born and raised in ATL, season ticket holder since 2017. Still think Bello has a way to go in terms of his final delivery and positioning but his dribbling and technique is already among the best in our left back pool imo.

I agree about Richards being paired with Brooks, both are so comfortable on the ball. Miazga, Long, Zimmerman and Ream all have one glaring weakness or another in their game that makes me distrust them.

Another Atlanta boy, Miles Robinson, also suffered playing in a horribly coached and constructed team this year. He looked like the best CB in MLS and a surefire call-up last year. One of the few defenders in our pool with 'rolls-royce' potential. Already had all the physical tools coming out of college and his passing and reading of the game took a huge step forward under de Boer. Unfortunately, that reading was a lot more inconsistent this year. Really think he should be a callup come the WC as well (obviously I'm biased), but it's up to him to show what he's capable of for the next season and a half. Playing in a competent team would help that, but he's probably fallen behind the aforementioned group in Berhalter's eyes this year.
Agreed, I really like Robinson and he should be at the top of the MLS CB pecking order. Got to a couple of games when we were still in B'Ham and loved the atmosphere. For a while it looked like Atlanta was going to join Dallas and Red Bull with producing good academy prospects, but it seems like Bello and Robinson are going to be it for a while. Still can't believe Carlton didn't pan out. Watching him at the U20 world cup he looked like a sure thing.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So back to todays game. Am I being completely USA goggled right now, or is Musah as good as I think he is. The midfield 3 of Adams, Musah and McKennie has been a revelation to watch.

forevrared

I mean... Musah's only 17 and not cap tied, and it was only Wales and Panama, but it's hard not to get excited about that midfield 3. McKennie should be our captain, and the sooner he is, the better.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I mean... Musah's only 17 and not cap tied, and it was only Wales and Panama, but it's hard not to get excited about that midfield 3. McKennie should be our captain, and the sooner he is, the better.
Agreed, but he needs to cut out the uhm..... overly aggressive tackling. That should have been a straight red, even in a friendly. Besides that though he is the captain on the field. Constantly directing others, works harder than anyone. Love his game and you can tell that just a few months under Pirlo has unlocked something.

One of those three (almost definitely Musah) loses out when Pulisic comes in, as Reyna looks a surefire starter if he keeps playing big minutes for Dortmund. Didn't think he was great today but you'd assume Berhalter goes to a 4231 or 433 when everyone's fit with one of Pulisic/Reyna central and one out on the left. Haven't seen Musah for Valencia but apparently he's been playing on the right for them? Definitely one of the weaker positions in the pool so he could find a place there, might be Gregg's best shot of convincing him to get cap-tied. I quite liked Tyler Boyd there last summer at the Gold Cup but he's dropped off at club level it seems. Llanez is also a good right-sided talent, and of course Morris who's had a great few seasons can play there too.

@WI_Red On Carleton, he just doesn't have the mentality, unfortunately. That combined with how hard it is for #10s with no physicality to make it at the professional level has been his downfall. My friend played in the ATL academy with him and he just seemed to think he'd made it already, which is a shame because he seemed like a really good kid when he was getting media coverage in his teens. So many incidents with him since signing his contract: getting suspended right before MLS Cup for partying, frequenting Buckhead bars (still underage mind you), apparently forgetting his passport before an away trip. The kid's still young and I have nothing against him, but listening to his interviews recently he seems remorseful but more for not getting opportunities than thinking he was at fault for anything. Looks like he was decent in USL this year, but he looked above USL level at 16 so not a huge development. His vision and technique are still incredibly good in the context of US talents. Very unlikely he ever gets capped with how things are going but if he buckles down he'll end up a solid MLS player.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
One of those three (almost definitely Musah) loses out when Pulisic comes in, as Reyna looks a surefire starter if he keeps playing big minutes for Dortmund. Didn't think he was great today but you'd assume Berhalter goes to a 4231 or 433 when everyone's fit with one of Pulisic/Reyna central and one out on the left. Haven't seen Musah for Valencia but apparently he's been playing on the right for them? Definitely one of the weaker positions in the pool so he could find a place there, might be Gregg's best shot of convincing him to get cap-tied. I quite liked Tyler Boyd there last summer at the Gold Cup but he's dropped off at club level it seems. Llanez is also a good right-sided talent, and of course Morris who's had a great few seasons can play there too.

@WI_Red On Carleton, he just doesn't have the mentality, unfortunately. That combined with how hard it is for #10s with no physicality to make it at the professional level has been his downfall. My friend played in the ATL academy with him and he just seemed to think he'd made it already, which is a shame because he seemed like a really good kid when he was getting media coverage in his teens. So many incidents with him since signing his contract: getting suspended right before MLS Cup for partying, frequenting Buckhead bars (still underage mind you), apparently forgetting his passport before an away trip. The kid's still young and I have nothing against him, but listening to his interviews recently he seems remorseful but more for not getting opportunities than thinking he was at fault for anything. Looks like he was decent in USL this year, but he looked above USL level at 16 so not a huge development. His vision and technique are still incredibly good in the context of US talents. Very unlikely he ever gets capped with how things are going but if he buckles down he'll end up a solid MLS player.
What I hope to see when the Glass Prince returns is an alteration of the Wales game. Basically a 433 with a front 3 of CP, GR and whatever striker. The one thing that stuck out in that game was that Gio constantly pinching in from the right gave Dest a bunch of room to get up the flanks to provide the width. Musah and/or Adams covered for Dest really well when he bombed forward. If this was intentional I get the feeling that what we saw in that game was what Berhalter wants, just replace Konrad with CP and Llegett with an actual striker.

The three midfielders owner the center of the park and have two much more skillful attackers would have made that game look way better.

What I hope to see when the Glass Prince returns is an alteration of the Wales game. Basically a 433 with a front 3 of CP, GR and whatever striker. The one thing that stuck out in that game was that Gio constantly pinching in from the right gave Dest a bunch of room to get up the flanks to provide the width. Musah and/or Adams covered for Dest really well when he bombed forward. If this was intentional I get the feeling that what we saw in that game was what Berhalter wants, just replace Konrad with CP and Llegett with an actual striker.

The three midfielders owner the center of the park and have two much more skillful attackers would have made that game look way better.
Reyna coming in from the right would be interesting long term. BvB plays with these sorts of wide attacking midfielders in lieu of wingers so Reyna should get plenty of experience in that sort of role. Agree that having an actual #9 out there would've made us much more positive about the Wales performance, though I was quite happy anyways.

------------------Steffen
Dest-Richards-Brooks-A. Robinson
--------Musah-Adams-McKennie
----------Reyna-------------------Puli
---------------Altidore

That would be a very tasty lineup if everyone keeps developing come the WC. I'm still a big believer in Jozy's talent, he's just made of glass (and not great in pressure moments). Would be very happy to see Gioachinni or Soto develop to a point where they could displace him. I'd hope for that team to at least make the QFs unless they draw a powerhouse in the RO16. What troubles me is that we're in this age where we have so many exciting young talents and yet a lack of experience. The grit of the 2010 and 2014 cycles is gone but we're gonna play much nicer stuff. No idea if 3G is the right man for the job, I'm still angry they passed on Martino for such a stupid reason when he was available. Nevertheless, as positive as I've been about the USMNT for years.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Reyna coming in from the right would be interesting long term. BvB plays with these sorts of wide attacking midfielders in lieu of wingers so Reyna should get plenty of experience in that sort of role. Agree that having an actual #9 out there would've made us much more positive about the Wales performance, though I was quite happy anyways.

---------------Altidore

That would be a very tasty lineup if everyone keeps developing come the WC. I'm still a big believer in Jozy's talent, he's just made of glass (and not great in pressure moments). Would be very happy to see Gioachinni or Soto develop to a point where they could displace him. I'd hope for that team to at least make the QFs unless they draw a powerhouse in the RO16. What troubles me is that we're in this age where we have so many exciting young talents and yet a lack of experience. The grit of the 2010 and 2014 cycles is gone but we're gonna play much nicer stuff. No idea if 3G is the right man for the job, I'm still angry they passed on Martino for such a stupid reason when he was available. Nevertheless, as positive as I've been about the USMNT for years.
The funny thing is that just 2 years ago Tata was not the best fit for the player pool but would now be a fantastic fit. Bielsa would also be great. He would fecking love McKennie. I was not a fan of the GGG hire, but I will give him this; unlike he two predecessors he adapts his lineups and is willing to go away from something that is not working (remember the RB to MF abomination that gave us Lima ball?). He is still not the best fit, but he seems willing to give players a chance. Arena would have rolled out DMB at left back today.

Also, thanks for Carleton info. It tracks right along with what the guy I spoke to up here said.

sport2793

---------------Altidore

I wouldn't go as far as expecting a quarterfinal berth in 22 although they really should at least get into the knockout phase. Now I think if you see Richards break into the Bayern side, McKennie come into his own and be a regular starter at Juventus, Adams progresses at Leipzig etc. then that's where you will start to see the ceiling of the team rise. Also my hope would be for Sargent or Soto to start at striker, they both are already a million miles better than Altidore. In fact Sargent would have featured this time had Werder agreed to release him to the NT.

One player that has really flown under the radar recently is Alex Mendez who recently moved to Ajax. That kid always looked class to me. Really when you think about the wealth we have at CAM with the likes of Reyna, Musah, Aaronson, Mendez coming through the youth ranks is fairly impressive considering where the US was 10 years ago. At minimum, I expect a progressive style of football in 22 against the smaller sides with maybe a more reserved style against the top teams.

Last edited:

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Golden generation? We’ve always had decent attackers, but our defenders, and defending overall as a team, have always been a calamity. Has that changed recently at all?

Matab8r

Interesting reading, as an Aussie we are similar in the fact where soccer even though popular with younger kids ( soccer mums) in participation numbers loses its best athletes to cricket, rugby league & union and AFL.

A big change that occured in our early 2000's and with the new A league was that our state leagues looked at the Dutch model ( this occurred around the the Gus Hiddink was our coach )and virtually tried to mirror what it could with limited resources eg small sided teams till teenage years with the emphasis on everyone getting on the ball and alot of experienced coaches ( my local team even had brazilian and Chilean coache's from South America)were higher education in the 5-12 bracket. Iv seen this myself in NSW state leagues and have had my children coached by coaches with real fifa credentials ( too bad the kids had my sporting genes) rather then dads with spare time.

Even though Australia had their golden generation in the 2000's our A league accepts its role as a ' feeder league ' and we have a lot of young talent playing around the European larger leagues. Don't get me wrong ot could still be improved but real football pathways for exist for the talented.

Reading through this thread makesname think USA should adopt a Football countries pathway model from 5 year old to teenager- understand with its unique college sport system it might be more difficult.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Not just the pay for play but also how the courts have blocked amateur/youth clubs from profiting off development of players when they join MLS or move abroad. MLS and USSF both blocked that suit if memory serves.

As for LB, why not Chandler? Think he's played LB at club level in the past. Knowing Berhalter, in typical USSF fashion they'll toss a winger back there that constantly leaves space to be exploited.

@ValenciasDrilledCrosses it's time to move on from Altidore. It's been time for many years.
I'm happy to if another striker steps up at the top level, be it Sargent, Soto or Gioachinni (remember when American soccer was convinced Bobby Wood would be our striker for the next 10 years?). Jozy is amazingly frustrating but one of the few in the pool with a well-rounded skillset.

I wouldn't go as far as expecting a quarterfinal berth in 22 although they really should at least get into the knockout phase. Now I think if you see Richards break into the Bayern side, McKennie come into his own and be a regular starter at Juventus, Adams progresses at Leipzig etc. then that's where you will start to see the ceiling of the team rise. Also my hope would be for Sargent or Soto to start at striker, they both are already a million miles better than Altidore. In fact Sargent would have featured this time had Werder agreed to release him to the NT.

One player that has really flown under the radar recently is Alex Mendez who recently moved to Ajax. That kid always looked class to me. Really when you think about the wealth we have at CAM with the likes of Reyna, Musah, Aaronson, Mendez coming through the youth ranks is fairly impressive considering where the US was 10 years ago. At minimum, I expect a progressive style of football in 22 against the smaller sides with maybe a more reserved style against the top teams.
Of course I'd only hope for a QF if they all develop as they should for the next two years. At present it's a bunch of kids with very little experience at the first-team level.

I like Mendez and Aaronson a lot too. Eredivisie is an ideal league for Americans to go to with their willingness to play youngsters and complete lack of strength beyond the top teams

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Of course I'd only hope for a QF if they all develop as they should for the next two years. At present it's a bunch of kids with very little experience at the first-team level.

I like Mendez and Aaronson a lot too. Eredivisie is an ideal league for Americans to go to with their willingness to play youngsters and complete lack of strength beyond the top teams
I still am pretty confident that Musah is going to pick England, so there is going to be a spot for Mendez and Aaronson to fight for. I haven't seen much of Mendez since the U20 WC, but my word that left foot.......

Sea-Cow

Gioacchini is a 20 yo who played in the second tier of France. Pretty good scoring record. Both goals today were very Chicharito like.

Johnny plays in Brazil. Reminds of a slightly more athletic Carrick without the passing range. He’s only 20, so hopefully it will come.

Mussah though... my word. Only 17. We need to cap tie him ASAP.
Nice thank you

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Super happy for Richards as he was born in the city I called home for 2 decades. How is he progressing at Bayern? Do you see him as a center back or right back?

With the way the team is progressing I am hoping for a deep run (quarter finals??) in '26 when the cup is here in the states.
@WI_Red I copied your post here to not drag the other thread more off topic.

Richards has actually had quite a few appearances this season already, mostly as a sub, but he also got to start a couple of games.
So if you ask how he is progressing, coming into the youth team on loan first, then becoming a consistent starter and performer for the second team winning the 3rd division last season (which is a professional league after all), now being a part of the first team and getting minutes, he's progressing very well.

His impression on me hasn't been amazing or breathtaking, but solid.
He's come in mostly at right back, but Flick started him once even at left back in the Champions League when both Hernandez and Phonzie were injured (keeping in mind that Flick might very well also have put Alaba back at left back, who spent most of the last decade there after all).
He's also come in at CB, and he's been solid each time. His passing maybe sets him a bit below the rest of the team yet, but he's slotted in well, always did a good job, and seems very reliable tactically.
So what's really evident is that Flick trusts him, and trust him in all positions across the back line. Which is great. Accordingly, I don't know where to put him yet. At CB, he still lacks a bit of presence and authority, maybe, and at full back, a bit of dynamism and contribution on the ball.
In any case, whenever he's subbed in, I am happy to see him come on and am not wary of some decline in team quality. Whether he can go on to secure himself a starting spot in the long run at Bayern, it's surely doubtful. But he's a proper part of the team already.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
@WI_Red I copied your post here to not drag the other thread more off topic.

Richards has actually had quite a few appearances this season already, mostly as a sub, but he also got to start a couple of games.
So if you ask how he is progressing, coming into the youth team on loan first, then becoming a consistent starter and performer for the second team winning the 3rd division last season (which is a professional league after all), now being a part of the first team and getting minutes, he's progressing very well.

His impression on me hasn't been amazing or breathtaking, but solid.
He's come in mostly at right back, but Flick started him once even at left back in the Champions League when both Hernandez and Phonzie were injured (keeping in mind that Flick might very well also have put Alaba back at left back, who spent most of the last decade there after all).
He's also come in at CB, and he's been solid each time. His passing maybe sets him a bit below the rest of the team yet, but he's slotted in well, always did a good job, and seems very reliable tactically.
So what's really evident is that Flick trusts him, and trust him in all positions across the back line. Which is great. Accordingly, I don't know where to put him yet. At CB, he still lacks a bit of presence and authority, maybe, and at full back, a bit of dynamism and contribution on the ball.
In any case, whenever he's subbed in, I am happy to see him come on and am not wary of some decline in team quality. Whether he can go on to secure himself a starting spot in the long run at Bayern, it's surely doubtful. But he's a proper part of the team already.
@Hansi Fick, thank you for that. If there is one spot I am worried about going forward for our national team, it’s center back. I absolutely love John Brooks. He is probably the best CB we have ever had (maybe Eddie Pope??), and definitely the best passing CB. Richards and to a lesser extent Mark McKenzie, are our future going forward, so I have high hopes for Richards. Based on your post do you think he would benefit from a move away from Bayern?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
@Hansi Fick, thank you for that. If there is one spot I am worried about going forward for our national team, it’s center back. I absolutely love John Brooks. He is probably the best CB we have ever had (maybe Eddie Pope??), and definitely the best passing CB. Richards and to a lesser extent Mark McKenzie, are our future going forward, so I have high hopes for Richards. Based on your post do you think he would benefit from a move away from Bayern?
Right now, he's surely at the best place he could possibly be. He's part of a very good team, trains and competes with the best, experiences high level games, and gets minutes in them too. And he's playing well.
Then, we have to see. There's a lot of movement possibly impending in our squad at CB, what with our board on course to let both of last seasons starting CBs, Boateng and Alaba, go. Still, the competition with Süle, Lucas, highly rated Nianzou, and Pavard also a candidate for the position, will be high, and if we indeed lose both Boateng and Alaba the club would likely try a move for someone like Upamecano, too.
Then, yeah, at some point Richards might have to go out on loan, or move. But who knows. Flick sure seems to like him.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
@WI_Red having digested a ton of old clips and matches from the 90s over the past year or so, I rate Balboa over Pope. I forgot just how good Balboa was for the NT. I'd like to see how a modern day Balboa type would develop in Europe. I also find DeMerit to be quite underrated by Natty fans, and Klinsmann didn't rate for whatever reason. Another player that likely would have developed better in a proper academy structure versus an obscure college in Chicago and thereafter bouncing around the lower tiers of England. Shocked how not a single MLS club saw him as a player worth developing but perhaps scouts in those days were more locked in on the big colleges and the Pro 40 types.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Right now, he's surely at the best place he could possibly be. He's part of a very good team, trains and competes with the best, experiences high level games, and gets minutes in them too. And he's playing well.
Then, we have to see. There's a lot of movement possibly impending in our squad at CB, what with our board on course to let both of last seasons starting CBs, Boateng and Alaba, go. Still, the competition with Süle, Lucas, highly rated Nianzou, and Pavard also a candidate for the position, will be high, and if we indeed lose both Boateng and Alaba the club would likely try a move for someone like Upamecano, too.
Then, yeah, at some point Richards might have to go out on loan, or move. But who knows. Flick sure seems to like him.
Thank you again for the great feedback on Richards. It is hard to explain how lonely being a football fan in the US was 20 years ago. We are mocked now when we “hype” our young American players, but it comes from only a place of supreme love for this game.

Richards, as I mentioned earlier, has a special place for me because he was born and raised quite literally minutes away from me. Birmingham was an amazing football (soccer?) place when I was there. I played on an adult team that was 50% Irish / Scottish / Newcastle / Liverpool and 50% redneck. Most of the ex-pats on my team were local coaches. We were all so proud when CR went first to Dallas and then to Bayern. There is a love for this game here that is mocked both here and from abroad, but we don’t care. We may be “stupid yanks”, but we don’t care.

Richards/Pulisic/Reyna/McKenzie/Adams/Dest etc may not be Messi/CR7/Kane/Mueller/etc., but they are ours and we love them.

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
Reading comments in big soccer forum, one can see how overhyped this generation is. Man, some people there thinks they are favourites in the 2026 world cup. Other just think they are serious contenders. Ok, they are promising, but chill.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Reading comments in big soccer forum, one can see how overhyped this generation is. Man, some people there thinks they are favourites in the 2026 world cup. Other just think they are serious contenders. Ok, they are promising, but chill.
This is like reading comments on an anti-vaxxer page and saying you can see how overhyped vaccines are.

Most normal US fans know exactly where we are. We will likely qualify for 22 and hopefully get out of our group (depending on who’s in it) and probably lose the first knockout game. In 26, with the cup in the US, we hopefully get to the quarterfinals.

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
This is like reading comments on an anti-vaxxer page and saying you can see how overhyped vaccines are.

Most normal US fans know exactly where we are. We will likely qualify for 22 and hopefully get out of our group (depending on who’s in it) and probably lose the first knockout game. In 26, with the cup in the US, we hopefully get to the quarterfinals.
How I am supposed to know the opinions of USA fans, other than reading the biggest US soccer forum on the Internet?

It's good to know, however, that they aren't representative of the overall opinion of American fans. I would say that your expectations are very reasonable. Still, it's always difficult to know how very young players may develop.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
How I am supposed to know the opinions of USA fans, other than reading the biggest US soccer forum on the Internet?

It's good to know, however, that they aren't representative of the overall opinion of American fans. I would say that your expectations are very reasonable. Still, it's always difficult to know how very young players may develop.
Oh, that was not at all a criticism of you, only of the hyperbolic nature of the Big Soccer forums. Even those posters know what the reality is, I am guessing they just get excited when good things happen. Just look at this place after the PSG win and then the PSG loss.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
@WI_Red, since we were talking about him here, an update on Chris Richards.

Yesterday, he has gone out on loan to Hoffenheim for the rest of the season, after basically having had no appearances for the first team in the last couple of months.
Hoffenheim's coach since this season of course is Sebastian Hoeneß (Uli's nephew), who was the coach of our second team that won the 3rd division last season with Richards as key player.
Statement on the loan by our DoF:
"Chris is a great talent. He was a top performer in central defence for our reserves in the third division and has gained experience with the first team, even in the Champions League. Together we decided Chris will use the months in Hoffenheim for the next stage of his development. We're sure TSG will get a lot from him."
https://fcbayern.com/en/news/2021/02/richards-loaned-to-hoffenheim

As opposed to Zirkzee, our young Dutch striker who left on loan as well and who has had an option to buy inserted in his loan contract at Parma, there is no option with Richards, as CEO Rummenigge confirmed in a video interview. Rummenigge said that Richards will definitively return in summer as the club thinks he has the 'potential to establish himself as part of the first team squad in the medium term'.
https://sport.sky.de/fussball/artik...rummenigge-zu-zirkzee-richards/12205602/34826

Bottom line, there's a good chance Richards will see some decent Bundesliga minutes in the remainder of the season.