US Men's National Team Discussion

sport2793

:lol: :lol: they had to literally freeze their opposition to death to get the 3 points. Still, am happy and while I would rather that GB gets sacked, I don't want to miss out on another WC either.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The clueless announcers are lapping up playing in single digit temps was our home field advantage.
*shakes head*

bosskeano

A really strong performance from teh US....The cold bothered everyone but you could clearly see the cold had a big impact on the Hondurans. They just struggled.

LDT, Weah and Pepi were really damn good. Weah and Pepi should be automatic starters with Pulisic on the front line. Weston and Tyler is a great midfield pairing but it'll be interesting to see what happens when Gio is available but he's a proven quality player.

We beat Panama in Orlando in March and that should wrap up qualification for the World Cup unless Mexico drops the ball tonight and gives away 3 points.

bosskeano

Mexico gets an 80th minute penalty to win 1-0 over Panama in Azteca

Gives the US a 4 point gap going into the final matches...won't be easy though with games at Mexico and Costa Rica with Panama at home in between the two road matches.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Embarrassing. I thought for a minute Honduras was not going to come out for the second half. I wouldn’t have blamed them.

bosskeano

Embarrassing. I thought for a minute Honduras was not going to come out for the second half. I wouldn’t have blamed them.

while it somewhat goes against the idea of sporting fair play....Greg made a very valid point regarding the elements and how they are used to advantages in CONCACAF. There is no whining from people when having to play in the altitude in Azteca or going to jamaica or T&T and playing a pitch that is the minimum standard size allowed by FIFA and is a giant pothole or going to central america and playing in 90 degree heat with 100% humidity.

Each country is vastly different with their climates and they all use them to their advantage which is what's so unique about this Region. You don't get the uniqueness really in any other Region in the world for qualifications.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
We did not need to subject our players to extreme conditions to beat Honduras.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
while it somewhat goes against the idea of sporting fair play....Greg made a very valid point regarding the elements and how they are used to advantages in CONCACAF. There is no whining from people when having to play in the altitude in Azteca or going to jamaica or T&T and playing a pitch that is the minimum standard size allowed by FIFA and is a giant pothole or going to central america and playing in 90 degree heat with 100% humidity.

Each country is vastly different with their climates and they all use them to their advantage which is what's so unique about this Region. You don't get the uniqueness really in any other Region in the world for qualifications.
Except Mexico has ALWAYS played at Azteca and likely always will. T&T only has a handful, at most, of FIFA qualified fields since the country is so small. Similar for Panama and many of the Caribbean nations. They are not seeking out adverse conditions, they just use what is the natural advantage of their environment. The absurdity of last night is that the Federation sought out those conditions on purpose, and in doing so, placed both teams and also the fans in physical danger. I also sent the message that the Federation does not trust the team to beat Honduras without resorting to gamesmanship. Maybe this is what happens when your federation is run by ex-players who played on teams that needed advantages because they lacked talent.

bosskeano

Except Mexico has ALWAYS played at Azteca and likely always will. T&T only has a handful, at most, of FIFA qualified fields since the country is so small. Similar for Panama and many of the Caribbean nations. They are not seeking out adverse conditions, they just use what is the natural advantage of their environment. The absurdity of last night is that the Federation sought out those conditions on purpose, and in doing so, placed both teams and also the fans in physical danger. I also sent the message that the Federation does not trust the team to beat Honduras without resorting to gamesmanship. Maybe this is what happens when your federation is run by ex-players who played on teams that needed advantages because they lacked talent.
Mexico could play elsewhere, T&T and the other countries COULD make their pitches a decent size and quality however they choose to stay as is and use it as an advantage for them. I don't blame them and i don't blame the US for use colder weather against these teams.

However....what they did last night was outside the scope of what should have happened. You want to play in colder weather, there are places across the country where that could be done more safely.

Crazy though that there wasn't this much outrage when Canada played the US on that terrible plastic pitch in 20 degree weather with a wind chill in the teens.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Mexico could play elsewhere, T&T and the other countries COULD make their pitches a decent size and quality however they choose to stay as is and use it as an advantage for them. I don't blame them and i don't blame the US for use colder weather against these teams.

However....what they did last night was outside the scope of what should have happened. You want to play in colder weather, there are places across the country where that could be done more safely.

Crazy though that there wasn't this much outrage when Canada played the US on that terrible plastic pitch in 20 degree weather with a wind chill in the teens.
Living in WI I can tell you there is a MASSIVE difference between what happened last night and the conditions in Hamilton. Two nights ago is was 19 with 10 mph wind. I was able to take the dogs on a walk with a winter coat and fleece lined jeans. Uncomfortable but manageable. This morning it was 4 with 10 mph winds, just a little better than Minny last night. It was fecking miserable even geared up with a balaclava, double layered coat and thermal pants. I took off my cloves for 3 minutes to pick up the dogs crap and my fingers were frozen for the remainder of the walk even with gloves back on.

I have played football in Alabama Summers and Wisconsin (early) winters. There is absolutely no comparison between heat/humidity and cold. As long as I stayed hydrated I was able to make it through 3 game weekends during Summer Fest. Up here? The real danger is halftime/gametime and play stoppages. Your body feels warm from running but your temp crashes and you can turn bad real fast. The blatant lack of concern for player safety should be a sackable offense for everyone involved in the decision.

DannyDee

Canada doesn't really offer many alternatives. The only option that wouldn't have the potential for that is indoors in Vancouver. Hamilton is one of the furthest south parts of Canada, and probably the furthest south one that has a somewhat suitable stadium.

But, the Latin American countries have fanbases that do things that would get you arrested in North America like setting up outside a teams hotel and holding an all night street party setting off fireworks. So, I don't have much sympathy.

bosskeano

Canada doesn't really offer many alternatives. The only option that wouldn't have the potential for that is indoors in Vancouver. Hamilton is one of the furthest south parts of Canada, and probably the furthest south one that has a somewhat suitable stadium.

But, the Latin American countries have fanbases that do things that would get you arrested in North America like setting up outside a teams hotel and holding an all night street party setting off fireworks. So, I don't have much sympathy.
and throwing warm piss on you as you come out of the tunnels

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Awesome. So either I have to subscribe to another service (HBO, which I won't do) or we get to see Turner try and cover soccer again. Anyone who dealt with the absolute abomination that was Champions League/Europa on Turner knows this can only end poorly. I guess I will be searching for streams in 2023 and beyond. Well done US Soccer you absolute bag of flaccid dicks.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Berhalter is going for it. From a pragmatic point of view it’s the wrong call as this game is not nearly as important as the next. From a fan perspective I love it.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It took me a minute to find it. Mexico vs USA at AZTECA is on a streaming network Paramount +…. That is fecked up!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
CONCACAF refs :lol:

that’s was not a foul, and even so he should have played advantage

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
With the caveat that the US might still lose I can confidently say this is the least worrying Mexico side in my memory. Just not scared by them.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
First half thoughts:

1. ref has been good? What is this madness?
2. US should be up at least 1-0. I think the last WCQ cycle broke Pulisic for the US, he is just not the same player.
3. Mexico just looks lost
4. I am talking to myself as apparently no other US poster gives a feck.

edit: @Zaphod2319 gives a feck.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Steffen is a bit scary trying to pass it forward. It might be safer for him to hoof it forward.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
We might lose 5-0, but I have never been less afraid of playing in the Azteca
That’s somewhat ironic coming from an Atlanta United fan and considering Martino has played great responsibility into Mexico’s lack of attacking threat.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
First half thoughts:

2. US should be up at least 1-0. I think the last WCQ cycle broke Pulisic for the US, he is just not the same player.
Pulisic has been killing it for Chelsea lately. That was a weak effort at goal, but he is currently in form.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
First half thoughts:

4. I am talking to myself as apparently no other US poster gives a feck.

edit: @Zaphod2319 gives a feck.
1. Yes, he’s been excellent
2. Really? He has been your best player and wouldn’t be surprised if he scored.
3. Yup, probably Herrera has been the best.
4. Oh yeah, definitely

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
That’s somewhat ironic coming from an Atlanta United fan and considering Martino has played great responsibility into Mexico’s lack of attacking threat.
not ironic really. His Atlanta teams were amazing to watch and I would have loved him as US coach. What is going on with him and this Mexico team? Is it a lack of talent? Lozano is the only player who worries me.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
1. Yes, he’s been excellent
2. Really? He has been your best player and wouldn’t be surprised if he scored.
3. Yup, probably Herrera has been the best.
4. Oh yeah, definitely
he has been very poor this cycle. Chelsea Pulisic finished that. I think he is pressing too hard for the US.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
not ironic really. His Atlanta teams were amazing to watch and I would have loved him as US coach. What is going on with him and this Mexico team? Is it a lack of talent? Lozano is the only player who worries me.
Lozano has been very inconsistent with Mexico and Napoli. Has struggled with injuries and backlash from Napolitalean media. I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves Italy for next transfer window.

As for Martino, he has gone from best to worst, at least in regards to results. I have never seen him able to find structure with his players. I don’t see Mexico dominating a formation, he changes so much between players and formations (4-4-2 or 3-4-3) that I don’t think he has fond any style. These CONCACAF playoffs bursted the results bubble once facing USA and Canada in their countries. Obviously, I think he will be able to get Mexico into the WC but I don’t have high expectations.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Lozano has been very inconsistent with Mexico and Napoli. Has struggled with injuries and backlash from Napolitalean media. I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves Italy for next transfer window.

As for Martino, he has gone from best to worst, at least in regards to results. I have never seen him able to find structure with his players. I don’t see Mexico dominating a formation, he changes so much between players and formations (4-4-2 or 3-4-3) that I don’t think he has fond any style. These CONCACAF playoffs bursted the results bubble once facing USA and Canada in their countries. Obviously, I think he will be able to get Mexico into the WC but I don’t have high expectations.
Is it Martino or is there a talent gap for Mexico? As a US fan I love the rivalry and love Mexico being good. I can not remember a less intimidating Mexico side. Especially in the midfield. Even without McKennie the US is comfortably dominating the midfield. Just a weird game.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Is it Martino or is there a talent gap for Mexico? As a US fan I love the rivalry and love Mexico being good. I can not remember a less intimidating Mexico side. Especially in the midfield. Even without McKennie the US is comfortably dominating the midfield. Just a weird game.
Huge lack of talent in Mexico right now. Just look at their line up, and if you’ve watched them play in the last year or so, you’ll see how little quality they have. The US, for the first time in a long time, maybe ever, have more players playing for top clubs in good leagues, and more up and coming talent.

That said, both teams look pretty short of quality tbh. This game has looked decidedly 2nd tier. Reyna coming on now and he has some genuine quality to compliment Adams, and Pulisic. So maybe the US can go up a gear. Musah is a tidy player too.