Using the term "Man Utd"...And all the nonsense that goes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
And you use the term 'Man Utd' at these "matches" you go to? :nervous:
No one at matches really gives a shit...More people say "come on reds" than "come on United" in the Stretty and Scoreboard anyway. Which you rarely see on these boards because the internet isn't made up at large by the same type of people who go to matches.

Which is another reason why this rumour has built up I think. The kind of person who would use the phrase "Go Go Man Utd!" is the kind of person that would buy into this hook line and sinker....it's a thing to feel proud about knowing, it makes you think you're in an elite (ish) club of people who know this serious thing linked to our history...It makes you a better fan in your head. Hence why it's often used as a sort of one upmanship.

It's sole purpose seems to be to tell other fans off for saying it.

Cletus

Slack jawed yokels can have good taste in football
MUTV used to have a program called "Watch This If You Love Man Utd", but the critics could say this program changed name for the reasons stated.

Most foreign countries I am aware of refer to us informally as "Manchester", "Man Utd" or "M.U." and Shitty as "City". Could be that globally they see only one team in Manchester :p

jon_mufc

MUTV used to have a program called "Watch This If You Love Man Utd", but the critics could say this program changed name for the reasons stated.

Most foreign countries I am aware of refer to us informally as "Manchester", "Man Utd" or "M.U." and Shitty as "City". Could be that globally they see only one team in Manchester :p
Haha yeah whenever I go abroad and end up talking about football, they always refer to us as Manchester. Pretty awesome I think :D

Spoony

The People's President
It's not used as much in Manchester. In fact I only heard the term in my late teens. . . mainly because during my childhood, everyone I knew called us 'Man United', 'United' or simply 'Reds'. To be fair, it sounds shit, I mean do City fans refer to their club as 'Man Cee'? Course not. It sounds gay but if someone wants to call us Manyoo then that's their prerogative. I love people referring to us as just 'Manchester'. It's well cool.

jon_mufc

What about Reds?

Liverpool are usually called Reds, but sometimes journalists refer to us as Reds, which I find weird.

We are the Red Devils, aren't we?
Red Devils sounds too gimmicky in my opinion, a bit disney-ish haha. feck Liverpool, if you shout come on Reds at our matches it's pretty obvious who you're rooting for!

Vitro

Man Utd is still wrong. Plastic fans use it. That's a fact.

Ask Sheffied United fans if they like being called 'Sheff U'.
:lol::lol::lol: To be fair this is complete bullshit. Plastic fans aren't defined by the word they choose to call their club by.

barney89

No one at matches really gives a shit...More people say "come on reds" than "come on United" in the Stretty and Scoreboard anyway. Which you rarely see on these boards because the internet isn't made up at large by the same type of people who go to matches.

Which is another reason why this rumour has built up I think. The kind of person who would use the phrase "Go Go Man Utd!" is the kind of person that would buy into this hook line and sinker....it's a thing to feel proud about knowing, it makes you think you're in an elite (ish) club of people who know this serious thing linked to our history...It makes you a better fan in your head. Hence why it's often used as a sort of one upmanship.

I have to agree with this. The amount of people who seem to wound up when the term is used is ridiculous. I don't particularly like the name 'Man Utd', but if someone uses it I'm not going to get in an argument about it and tell them what they should be saying. I haven't heard it being used as an insult, and any newbies saying 'Man Utd' probably have no idea about certain peoples interpretation of it. I'm sure many of the posters who get annoyed with the use of this term are, as you are saying Mockney, trying to look like a better supporter.

LJ_Red

Well it's often come on United where I am, or as you say, come on reds, but I'll tell you that once some cockney/southerner shouted "come on Man Utd," and the guy infront of him turned around and just looked at him and went, "what the feck?." :eek:

Mockney

If someone shouted "come on Red Devils" he'd probably have reacted the same way...it's just a bit of a crap phrase. It's nothing, or certainly shouldn't be something born out of it being an insult. Even if it was, I hate the whole idea of fans telling other fans how to be fans anyway...Even if some gimp in a 3 piece suit was saying "jolly good red fellows lets give them a right good bumming" I'd just laugh and leave him be.

Mockney

No it isn't correct, I know of a few old geezer fans who call us Man Utd who've likely been going to Old Trafford before any of us were born...just because you think it's uncool is no reason to foist your assumed superiority onto other fans....it's ridiculous. Yes it's a crap term, but it's not your problem to tell people what to call us and certainly not yours to tell them they don't "deserve" to be taken seriously...

The fact that a match going fan of 30 years was called a shit supporter for saying Man Utd is exactly why I finally started this thread....So internet warriors would feck off with their who is and isn't a serious fan bollocks based on the names they like.

Big Ron used to call us Man Utd whilst he managed us for fecks sake....It's not a great term but there are far more things that make you plastic above saying U..it's an incredibly petty hang up based on nothing.

Mockney

No we're not. We're just trying to create peace love and harmony amongst our fan base.

Now lets all have a big hug and sing United Road on the acoustic

An Irish Red

No it isn't correct, I know of a few old geezer fans who call us Man Utd who've likely been going to Old Trafford before any of us were born...just because you think it's uncool is no reason to foist your assumed superiority onto other fans....it's ridiculous. Yes it's a crap term, but it's not your problem to tell people what to call us and certainly not yours to tell them they don't "deserve" to be taken seriously...

The fact that a match going fan of 30 years was called a shit supporter for saying Man Utd is exactly why I finally started this thread....So internet warriors would feck off with their who is and isn't a serious fan bollocks based on the names they like.

Big Ron used to call us Man Utd whilst he managed us for fecks sake....It's not a great term but there are far more things that make you plastic above saying U
Although I dislike the term I agree with your sentiment. To be honest though if I hear someone call the club 'Man Utd' I would generally assume they know very little about the club, it just has a sort of stigma attached to it, but maybe that's just me. It is permanently linked with 'plastic' fans in my mind as I associate it with people who know nothing about football. Saying that I'm not exactly proactive in correcting it or anything like that and logic would dictate that other factors come into play with regards to the plastic debate anyway.

On a side note, does anyone know where that paragraph allegedly explaining why the term was started as an insult came from? it is fairly widespread. As an earlier poster stated it was all over the official United forums. Anyone who ever used the term was villified and that paragraph got quoted over and over again.

Crono

There certainly are a lot of cnuts on the internet voicing their self-important approval and disapproval of every little thing involved in football fandom. I don't like the term 'Man Utd' but I can tolerate it. Unfortunately our foreign fans often call United by the term 'MU' - with the FC cut off, as that's how it is marketed to them. Hardly their fault, but I do think it should be corrected when possible so as to raise the bottom level of the 'lameness' factor.

Mockney

Yeah definitely...just in a helpful welcoming way rather than a "feck off we don't want you in our club" sort of a way. For one thing, it's not specifically 'your' club. (your being, anyone who thinks like that, not you btw...obviously)

Hairdryer

Big Ron used to call us Man Utd whilst he managed us for fecks sake....It's not a great term but there are far more things that make you plastic above saying U..it's an incredibly petty hang up based on nothing.
I think over time opposition fans have used the term Man Utd in a kind of derogatory manner. (For instance, the so called neutrals F365 call us similar sounding Man Yoo which used to rile me up every time I visited their website). It is for that particular reason that some of the 'younger/internet' generation fans usually don't like other United fans using the term.

To me, all fans are equal and should be allowed to call Manchester United with whatever affectionate names they may have, as long as it is not insulting or derogatory. Its quite foolish to see fans chide one another over names for the club,

The fact that 'Man Utd' is a term which is, sadly, more often associated when fans of other clubs talk about us in a not-so-nice manner may put it in the derogatory/insulting category and therefore should be avoided, at least by those who are either not familiar with the term or are not aware of the times when the club promoted itself using the same name (like the times which Mockney highlighted).

markgiggsy11

Okay.... I'm not surprised. In India, there are actually quite a number of "Man Utd fans" who don't even know that there is a team by the name of Manchester City and who think that our main rivals are Chelsea :lol:
Ya these are the same fans who I can bet my life on din't know that Henrik Larsson ever played for United.

These are the same fans who think Stretford End is one end of the bowling pitch at Old Trafford (the cricket stadium).

Ask them who Paul Pogba or Magnus Eikrem are and they won't have heard of them.

Leeds or the War of the Roses doesn't mean jack shit to them. They are here only cause the trophies have been coming in for the past 3 years. Also largely due to Beckham, then Ronaldo and now Rooney. It's annoying then cause they think they are doing the world a favor by supporting the biggest football team in the world. 2-3 seasons without a trophy and they will all feck right off to the team that's winning then.

I for one personally know people who were Arsenal fanboys for sometime, then have turned Chelsea fans and now support United. Although many of them have gone back to supporting Chelsea for obvious reasons. If Newcastle were to win the Premier League this year, you see the loads of them harping about Newcastle's glorious history.

Top top Reds all of em'.

I'm ashamed to say that I am from India just due to this very reason cause then we all very conveniently get tarred with the same brush.

RedOldBoy

What about Reds?

Liverpool are usually called Reds, but sometimes journalists refer to us as Reds, which I find weird.

We are the Red Devils, aren't we?
No we refer to ourselves as the Reds.

"Come on you Reds....." etc,

Yo don't hear "Come on you Red Devil's" or "when the Red Devils go marching in" do you.

Standard #18

The word 'spastic' was also a perfectly innocent term until it was taken over by some morons who still use it today. Context is everything.

pltan

Man Utd is still wrong. Plastic fans use it. That's a fact.

Ask Sheffied United fans if they like being called 'Sheff U'.
In Asia local correspondents use the term Man Utd , and in fact the tv abbreviation for united is Man Utd...so you can keep sitting on your high horse! Personally those kind of fans are much more respectable than your kind.

markgiggsy11

That's because they don't know anything about football.
That's a load of bollocks. There is no need to stereotype or be so darn ignorant.

And what has using the term Man Utd got anything at all to do with football? Just in case you haven't noticed, the OP proves the Man Utd hypothesis wrong anyways.

onechop

Theres quite a few posters on here who are posting really crap, Its quite obvious they dont go to matches, People do shout the following

come on Man Utd
come on the reds ( ive heard that for the past 30yrs at OT,even in the old stretford end)
Everybody has there own saying, so why do people slag them off? As long as you support MUFC whats the problem what you say? I think most of it comes from where you live and the time you were brought up supporting MUFC.

jon_mufc

In Asia local correspondents use the term Man Utd , and in fact the tv abbreviation for united is Man Utd...so you can keep sitting on your high horse! Personally those kind of fans are much more respectable than your kind.
Excuse me, but who are you to be labelling him as not a respectable fan? This is exactly the kind of shit we've been talking about on here

Status
Not open for further replies.