Utd now just another big club | All "United losing identity" stuff here

bleedred

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ayers-Arsenal-Chelsea-Liverpool-Man-City.html

More homegrown players than City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal (12/25).
Can we close the thread now. Its settled. All this thread has been , is that someone posted stuff from the media and all of caf presenting arguments against it.

But there are no counter arguments from any of the fans, because there isn't one and that's why we haven't heard it all through the last few pages. its just a mere moaning, that's all it is.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Can we close the thread now. Its settled. All this thread has been , is that someone posted stuff from the media and all of caf presenting arguments against it.

But there are no counter arguments from any of the fans, because there isn't one and that's why we haven't heard it all through the last few pages. its just a mere moaning, that's all it is.
All the damn threads were created because Wellbeck was sold. One fecking player who wasn't in the managers plans it happens, but because he's English and been at United since the age of 7 it's United's "identity" down the drain.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
At least it's now all collated into one big thread and I don't have to see this crap all over the forum any longer. E-nuke it, I say!

NoLogo

Someone like Frank De Boer who shares elements of Van Gaal's core philosophy would be the perfect replacement to be fair. If Giggs is found to have requisite traits in 2017 then perfect. If not then a quick rundown of De Boer's resume viz-a-vi the requirements of a United manager would suggest some good pedigree :

Winner ? Yes. Won 4 straight league titles at Ajax since taking over as the manager. Also some high profile victories vs European clubs with stronger teams and bigger budgets - 1-1 and 2-0 vs Milan 2010 that finished 1st in Serie A and had Thiago, Seedorf, Ibrahimovic, Nesta; 2-2 and 3-1 vs City 2012 that finished 2nd in the league and had Aguero, Nasri, Toure, Kompany; 2-1 vs Barcelona 2013 that had Neymar, Iniesta, Pedro, Xavi.

Tactically proficient ? Yes. Can play a lot of different formations to suit his team and has outmaneuvered some very strong teams and managers.

Can he promote youngsters ? Is there a bigger football school than Ajax ? De Boer's current first team is almost entirely filled with Jong Ajax graduates. Every year bigger clubs steal his biggest players - Mido, Suarez, Stekelenberg, van der Wiel, Vertonghen, de Jong, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Blind. But De Boer just fortifies the team with youth players. And each year they get stronger and stronger.

Character ? Very good. Captain at Ajax, Barcelona and the Dutch national team where he also the record appearance holder before Van der Sar. Natural leader.

European experience ? Yes. Has played in the Champion's League in each of his 4 seasons so far and one well considering the players at his disposal.

Can he handle big name players ? This is perhaps the only big grey area. Managing players of Ajax Amsterdam and the likes of Rooney, van Persie, Mata, Falcao, Di Maria is an entirely different proposition. But De Boer is well respected in the game, was Liverpool's first choice before Rodgers, Guardiola wanted to make him assistant at Barcelona instead of Tito and Frank was himself one of the best players in the world. So there's no reason to doubt his ability to get the respect of the current lot.

Long term ability ? He's only 44 and will be 47 when Van Gaal's current contract expires. Could go on to manage United for 10-15-20 years.

Apart from him Guardiola will be out of contract in 2016 and will most likely takes another sabbatical so he might be free in 2017. However Pep won't stick around for more than 3-4 seasons which is a big negative. Klopp is another one who might leave Dortmund. That said I'd rather he stayed there and continue his body of work TBF, adds so much romance to the game. Mauricio Pochettino and Roberto Martinez are good candidates from within the league.
De Boer definitely sounds like a good option who could carry on after van Gaal. I just hope that Woody and our board is able to understand that we need someone who can carry on van Gaals philosophy. Of course he doesn't need to copy him but like you share his core philosophy.

birdy2121

At least it's now all collated into one big thread and I don't have to see this crap all over the forum any longer. E-nuke it, I say!
People have different opinions, get used to it my friend thats what life is all about.
Shame we have so many self righteous people who love to suppress and in your words nuke threads they dont approve of.

Drifter

American
Personally i would have given the 'class of 92' the role of managing Manchester United the second SAF retired. Then after a season of complete failure they could have all been moved on and never mentioned about again.
And if they succeeded .Which all true united fans would hope for .What then?

fallengt

My post from other topic
This is Fergie's 1st team squad when he won the first PL title 93:

Schmeichel
P.Parker
Pallister
S.Bruce
D.Irwin
L.Sharpe
Ince
R.Keane
Andrei Kanchelskis
Hughes ( bought back from Barcelona)
Cantona
Bryan Robson
Ryan Giggs

Do tell me how many "academy product" you spot in that lineup? He did spend big to buy success so what's the big fuss? Oh right, media wasn't full of shite and twitter didn't exist in 90s.

For crying out loud, this is LvG first season, he has different philosophy or whatever you like to call it and we're heading to the new era, some old era players obviously aren't up to boss' standard, in order word, they're just not good enough for United. We were driven under one man's vision for 26 years, it's safe to say Fergie' vision is our indentity but people seem to forget that Sir Alex did exactly the same as Loius in his early days. And as the matter of fact, we wouldn't have gotten into this massive overhaul if Fergie had left us a healthy squad.

I admit there're to many doubtful things after last comical season but LvG 's CV doesn't tell us lies. Kluivert, Xavi, Muller and many more.. he does what he always does. We've sold some of our youth product in this window so what? other teams in PL have full of our "fail" products, do we have to cry them a river everytime we see them play in the different shirts? The only difference here that is now LVG who is doing the selling as opposed to Fergie doing it.

Look on the bright side, Wilson and Blacklett got promoted and for the fact LvG has very high demand that tells us a lot. It's sad to see Welbeck go but seriously, I'm struggling to understand why would we waste of time empathizing for someone who chose to join a rival club instead of cheering for young lads who are born ready to fight for his chance in here, Manchester United ?

BW.k

James Gibson and john henry davies. Like I said before, that is if what I have read is correct of course.
True about John Henry Davies who saved the club from bankruptcy but Gibson is a different example. Most of the players were produced from academies rather than buying. There have been a lot of example of rich owners putting money in earlier times as well so its not as bad as it is made out to be.
However my point was about the people complaining about United spending too much. When in reality its their own money which they earn. So there shouldn't even be a suspicion about it.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Gaalacticos is the new United way!
Well the thing is I find our whole policy this summer to be a bit Galactico because we now have a bunch of big name attacking players and it is going to be really difficult to play all of them. It is going to be near impossible to play our 5 best players (RVP, Rooney, Mata, Di Maria, Falcao) together at the same time.

Raul Madrid

True about John Henry Davies who saved the club from bankruptcy but Gibson is a different example. Most of the players were produced from academies rather than buying. There have been a lot of example of rich owners putting money in earlier times as well so its not as bad as it is made out to be.
However my point was about the people complaining about United spending too much. When in reality its their own money which they earn. So there shouldn't even be a suspicion about it.
Personally I do not mind other clubs spending big money (it would be hypocritical of me to do so, the same way I find it hypocritical of united fans complaining about Chelsea and city and other big spending clubs). Almost every club (especially the big ones) have relied on outside investment at some point in their history. United relied on outside investment to survive, Chelsea and city relied on outside investment to compete. I don't see how either can claim the moral high ground. Unless massive changes are made to the structure of football which allowed for more even competition, I do not see any other way Chelsea or City could compete. If they tried to do the "honourable" thing by signing and promoting youth then once these players begin to develop and show their potential and ability they will be signed up by the bigger clubs (like united) in order to compete for trophies, money and fame.

Oneunited26

Manchester United (12) - Ben Amos, Michael Carrick, Jonny Evans, Darren Fletcher, Phil Jones, Jesse Lingard, Rafael da Silva, Davide Petrucci, Wayne Rooney, Chris Smalling, Marnick Vermijl, Ashley Young.

The scary thing is with that list, it does not even include blackett keane and wilson

bleedred

Manchester United (12) - Ben Amos, Michael Carrick, Jonny Evans, Darren Fletcher, Phil Jones, Jesse Lingard, Rafael da Silva, Davide Petrucci, Wayne Rooney, Chris Smalling, Marnick Vermijl, Ashley Young.

The scary thing is with that list, it does not even include blackett keane and wilson
Shaw...Cos they are all under 21 and need not be registered...

BW.k

Personally I do not mind other clubs spending big money (it would be hypocritical of me to do so, the same way I find it hypocritical of united fans complaining about Chelsea and city and other big spending clubs). Almost every club (especially the big ones) have relied on outside investment at some point in their history. United relied on outside investment to survive, Chelsea and city relied on outside investment to compete. I don't see how either can claim the moral high ground. Unless massive changes are made to the structure of football which allowed for more even competition, I do not see any other way Chelsea or City could compete. If they tried to do the "honourable" thing by signing and promoting youth then once these players begin to develop and show their potential and ability they will be signed up by the bigger clubs (like united) in order to compete for trophies, money and fame.
We all need rich owners to survive. So its hypothetical about spending money even more so if it has been earned by the club itself.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
back in the 90s transfer weren't so worldwide as today, the 3 foreign players quota, no bosman ruling, no agents etc.

Football was more of a local youth playing for their local teams. Times have changed

REJE

Starting to piss me off now considering the very statement is a lie. Our team is one of the youngest, we have more home grown players and our academy 'rejects' litter the English divisions. Soul-less is a joke, we ARE the soul of English football.

Oneunited26

Shaw...Cos they are all under 21 and need not be registered...
true

I am not a fan of including the foreign players has registered homegrown players, obvious they would be included technically. Either way, guys like phelan are so out of touch with reality, what he said was just so outdated it is not even funny

Raul Madrid

We all need rich owners to survive. So its hypothetical about spending money even more so if it has been earned by the club itself.
They wouldn't have been able to have earned that money if they didn't exist anymore. Not all clubs can make their own money like united do because they cannot compete commercially with them. Uniteds success came when sky and the likes were beginning and therefore as the champions of England at the time were rewarded the most from it. There was no way others could keep up. Just because Chelsea and city didn't receive their outside help until now does not make it less moral. If they had received the help in the 90s instead then I am sure they would be making plenty of their own money now.

REJE

true

I am not a fan of including the foreign players has registered homegrown players, obvious they would be included technically. Either way, guys like phelan are so out of touch with reality, what he said was just so outdated it is not even funny
So you wouldn't class Rafael as home grown even though he's never played for another professional club?

BW.k

They wouldn't have been able to have earned that money if they didn't exist anymore. Not all clubs can make their own money like united do because they cannot compete commercially with them. Uniteds success came when sky and the likes were beginning and therefore as the champions of England at the time were rewarded the most from it. There was no way others could keep up. Just because Chelsea and city didn't receive their outside help until now does not make it less moral. If they had received the help in the 90s instead then I am sure they would be making plenty of their own money now.
I've never said that what Chelsea and City are doing is undeserving.

REJE

They could've kept up if they had produced the same quality players we did. Putting our success down to 'luck' is far from the truth. Arsenal were as good as us, Blackburn won the league in 95 remaining a top 3 side for years. We were/are better.

Raul Madrid

They could've kept up if they had produced the same quality players we did. Putting our success down to 'luck' is far from the truth. Arsenal were as good as us, Blackburn won the league in 95 remaining a top 3 side for years. We were/are better.
I never put uniteds success down to luck. I am saying that uniteds success came at the time of sky and the likes and they were able to capitalise on it and as a result other teams could not compete commercially. That is why united can make much more of their own money than other teams.

RedRover

So you wouldn't class Rafael as home grown even though he's never played for another professional club?
I wouldn't. He didn't learn how to play the game at United, or even in this country.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Without reading through all these pages, my opinion is:

I'd have liked to keep Welbeck, I think he is a decent/good player, and being local, its always nice to see, but right now, we need to get back into the champions league as soon as we can. Using Falcao over Welbeck right now will bring us closer to that goal.

Football is becoming more like a business, and teams need success. If it means buying players over youth talent, then so be it.
People go on about losing the identity, but really, the class of 92 was a real rare occasion, and since then, how many youth players have come through the ranks and stayed for their entire careers.
Look through our team, and you could only really point to Fletcher right now who has been around from the start (Januzaj to, but he is only young).

REJE

I never put uniteds success down to luck. I am saying that uniteds success came at the time of sky and the likes and they were able to capitalise on it and as a result other teams could not compete commercially. That is why united can make much more of their own money than other teams.
I know you didn't say luck specifically, but the term fits your description that's all. And like I said, other teams had the chance to do as we did, but they didn't produce/purchase players such as the class of 92, Cantona/Keane etc etc, success breeds success, and our success in creating an unstoppable team in the early 90's paved the way for our recent success.

Raul Madrid

I know you didn't say luck specifically, but the term fits your description that's all. And like I said, other teams had the chance to do as we did, but they didn't produce/purchase players such as the class of 92, Cantona/Keane etc etc, success breeds success, and our success in creating an unstoppable team in the early 90's paved the way for our recent success.
I agree with a lot of your of your post but what I mean is that at other times teams were more successful than united but they could not capitalise on it the way united did when they were successful. If Sky and the likes started in the 80s when Liverpool were on top then things would be so different. It would have been them who capitalised on it and they would be the main commercial force in English football and the team that makes more of its own money than other teams the way united did then and do now and it would have been very difficult for others to have caught up in that regard.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Not quite true although the SKY money definitely helped.

We became more successful commercially in the 1980's when Martin Edwards put lots of money (over transfers) to rebuild and develop the stadium into a commercial goldmine. Our revenue has been significant and gave us an edge when he focused on this and filled the ground to capacity.

Increasing the capacity, commercial boxes, development funds, lotteries, Superstore and so on were mainly driven from Edwards and although many people didn't like him as a person he was a good businessman.

Liverpool didn't and haven't invested in their stadium to their detriment. Arsenal made a big statement moving to a new ground for the same reason.

Raul Madrid

Not quite true although the SKY money definitely helped.

We became more successful commercially in the 1980's when Martin Edwards put lots of money (over transfers) to rebuild and develop the stadium into a commercial goldmine. Our revenue has been significant and gave us an edge when he focused on this and filled the ground to capacity.

Increasing the capacity, commercial boxes, development funds, lotteries, Superstore and so on were mainly driven from Edwards and although many people didn't like him as a person he was a good businessman.

Liverpool didn't and haven't invested in their stadium to their detriment. Arsenal made a big statement moving to a new ground for the same reason.
That is quite interesting to hear and you make good points. However I feel there was a massive boom in regards to how commercial the game was in the 90s and I am sure you would agree with that. What I said in my earlier post is that if sky and the likes were around in the 80s then it would be Liverpool who most probably would have been the main commercial force in England and would be making a lot their own money the way united did then and do today.

0161_UNITED

Lots do though, their hypocrisy is deep.
Hypocrisy indeed. I have friends who support Chelsea, Arsenal and City. You know what? They are proper fans just like United fans. They know their football, like to have a moan when they lose, talk it up when they win, and enjoy a good bit of banter over a proper pint. I honestly think if someone feels the need to explain why their club is "special", they are a bit lost. Who are some of these people arguing the "specialness" of their club with? Certainly not your mates, in real life. Some imaginary argument, and acting all hard in an Internet forum? If you can't understand why your club is "special", that's a problem with you. Not your club.

Shimo

If we are losing our identity then its been forced on us by not evolving the way we had in the past. As times changed and more money needed to be invested in certain areas, we stuck to a dated philosophy of "no value in the market". While we've not fixed it all - we've at least attempted to in terms of CM, LB, CB and out wide. It will take another window or two before we maybe fully fix all the issues or who knows maybe once we get some confidence, the players that have been under performing or not quite hit the expected heights yet may end up filling those holes many think we didn't quite plug with all our spending this season.

I don't buy we've lost our identity anyway, the club will continue to try and promote youth but, right now our priority is to get back towards the top and challenging for titles, our ability season after season to do that has been probably why in the last 20 odd years, when money has been pumped into other clubs, we've had the luxury of being able to still stick with our "identity". Even after the 04/05 season, there was still a lot going for the team and it didn't need as drastic a change.

It's almost been a sort of perfect storm for us to resort to the transfer window we've had. Very poor season, new coach, loss of key players in the spine of the team with no one taking up the mantle for them, new mega deal which magnifies the need to reach champion's league - we needed to buy and buy quality which we've done.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Well the thing is I find our whole policy this summer to be a bit Galactico because we now have a bunch of big name attacking players and it is going to be really difficult to play all of them. It is going to be near impossible to play our 5 best players (RVP, Rooney, Mata, Di Maria, Falcao) together at the same time.
He he, it's actually a play on Gaalacticos... :lol:

jesperjaap

Maybe lost our identity in terms of formation changing. I would argue we have lost our philosophy for the last 3 years, in that we have been playing slow and un-entertaining football with no exciting play on the flanks and with very little in terms of quality football. Even in first memories from the early 80s we played exciting football regardless of results, had the likes of Steve Coppell, Bryan Robson etc or maybe Im being nostalgic. Friends of mine that are Liverpool fans had there little rave ons about Liverpool under Benitez and I always argued they were voring to watch, Id often turn over, there football was slow and boring and they had very poor width. I feel thats what Ive been watching with ourselves the last few years regardles of us winning the premiership ony two years ago. We have generally bought domestically to improve us be that English or foreign players with promising or starting to establish themselves young European players added. The fact is there are only three really good domestic young English players....we bought one of them. Im not sure if any of the domestic foreign attainable players were that good...maybe Im mising someone? We have bought promising/startin gto establish themselves players in Blind/Herrera and a South AMerican one in Rojo...and this is during a period where we are not in CL and the premiership has two very rich teams.
The only difference I see between this season and previous ones is we have let one of our better homegrown players leave and for the first time since Veron we have splashed out on a world star....well two. From reading about Wellbeck last year in the oress and his interviews since signing for Arsenal, is he really that much of a die hard Manc through and through, as he certainly didnt appear to be happy to be part of the squad through the good and bad to me? Cleverly for example has been slated on here when he made no more of a meal (in fact less) than Welbeck during deadline day.
Year after year the one Utd fans complaint/gripe has been missing out on world class targets....this year we have signed possibly the best two plaeyrs in the world over the last couple of years in there respective positions and now its "we have lost our identity"....utter bollucks