Van Gaal's Academy

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It seems LVG is heading to Manchester, which is an interesting development for the youth setups.

Thank god the Moyesification of the academy didn't get a chance to take hold, but what sort of effect might LVG have on our youth setup if he is indeed appointed?

Personally I'd love it if the First XI, Reserves and Academy team played more like LVG's Holland, they're great to watch.

Or would an emphasis on one-touch passing and possession leave many of our current players behind the curve, having been previously trained in a more robust style of play?

Hopefully someone can tell us something about how LVG has effected the youth teams of previous clubs he's managed.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He'll be a short term appointment(for three years). I doubt he'll have that much control over our U21 teams and Youth academies. Let them continue as it is.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Van Gaal probably would want the u21 and u18's to play in a similar way and focus in the integration of youth players.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Even if he's a short term appointment I think we should pick his brains to evolve the set up and adopt a more continental model to youth development and playing philosophy. The Ajax & psv academies are still praised all over the football world.

Infact even if it's too early for this talk, if he works out, he'd make a great director of football once he loses interest in the grind of day to day management.

khoazany

We already have a continental model of youth development.The main problem remained is the pathway to first team football which is the fault of English system not anything we can do much of.I can see Van Gaal add a few twist plus having the audacity to blood in more youngsters.Van Gaal's relation with Dutch football might help us secure a few foreign loans which is a nice added bonus.

The Red Thinker

It seems LVG is heading to Manchester, which is an interesting development for the youth setups.

Thank god the Moyesification of the academy didn't get a chance to take hold, but what sort of effect might LVG have on our youth setup if he is indeed appointed?

Personally I'd love it if the First XI, Reserves and Academy team played more like LVG's Holland, they're great to watch.

Or would an emphasis on one-touch passing and possession leave many of our current players behind the curve, having been previously trained in a more robust style of play?

Hopefully someone can tell us something about how LVG has effected the youth teams of previous clubs he's managed.
Have you seen Warren Joyce's teams? He's a very forward thinking coach who employs one-touch football, high pressing and even new-age tactics like 'False 9' and evolving diamonds. We already do play the Van Gaal way in the youth set-up.

Hoof the ball

I don't see why he shouldn't have a major influence over the direction of the u-21 and u-19 teams, respectively.

Surely, it's logical to deduce that any short-term appointment, however brief, is going to build the foundations for the person to follow him. There's little point picking a manager who is not fundamentally going to stamp his vision on the long-term future of the club. Even if the tenure is short, one would hope that Van Gaal would be interested in reformation of the youth setup for the long-term development of making the club a self-sustaining presence.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
It would indeed be interesting to know how he influenced the academies at his previous clubs. I tried doing a bit of googling to that end when his name first came up but to little avail. What we do know is that he's not afraid to blood deserving youngsters, which is excellent as I genuinely believe we've got a few kids now who, with the necessary luck, are good enough to make it.