Vaporwave music

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone listen to it? I've been listening to a lot of vaporwave the past few months. It's defined by WikiPedia as follows:

Vaporwave is a music genre and art style that emerged in the early 2010s. It is often characterized by a nostalgic fascination with retro cultural aesthetics, commercial artifacts, and technology, as well as a critical or parodic preoccupation with consumer capitalism, popular culture, '80s yuppie culture, and new-age tropes.[2][3]

Vaporwave grew out of styles such as seapunk, witch house, and chillwave, as well as related internet communities. Musically, it is often characterized by its heavy use of samples from late '70s, '80s, '90s and early 2000s popular music as well as lounge, smooth jazz or Muzak.[4] Samples are often pitched, layered or altered in classic chopped and screwed style.[4][5]
Example of Vaporwave:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I randomly came across an album a few weeks ago which I guess qualifies as this. There are a couple of tracks on it that I thought were really nice

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So basically plagiarising every other genre of music?
A lot of it is just synthesised soundscapes. I find synth sounds really relaxing personally.
Not something I'd throw on at a party but I find stuff like this nice to listen to with headphones every now and then.

Nickosaur

Hmm. Not sure what I think.

edit - relaxing. I find it relaxing.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Moonred

Don't think so, someone in the comment section there said it's Future Bass.
Well someone in the comment also called it Vaporwave/chillwave and it has similarities with the wiki description. Fair enough if it isn't, cant be too arsed about genres anymore.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Well someone in the comment also called it Vaporwave/chillwave and it has similarities with the wiki description. Fair enough if it isn't, cant be too arsed about genres anymore.
It has some Vaporwave-elements I reckon but Vaporwave as I know it usually doesn't have that kind of drums. Doesn't really matter anyway if you like the music, there are 473282 genres nowadays.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Anyone listen to it? I've been listening to a lot of vaporwave the past few months. It's defined by WikiPedia as follows:

Example of Vaporwave:
Can't really say this is something new. Its basically repackaged ambient music from 20ish years ago.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
This is like when I heard that hoverboards had finally become a reality, only to find that it didn't hover and was barely even a board. Trundleplank would've been more apt. Same goes for this music, it's not vapour and there are no waves. Randombient would've been better. And that's already been done.