VAR and Refs | General Discussion

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Handball has to be intentional to be penalised. Looks like his body would have blocked the ball, even if he didn't have arms, need see better replay. He pulls his arm in, not towards the ball. If his arms fully inside his body, shouldn't be given, no advantage can possibly have been gained. Even if on the goal line.
:lol: Please don't stop posting. Keep it up.

Eddy_JukeZ

Handball has to be intentional to be penalised. Looks like his body would have blocked the ball, even if he didn't have arms, need see better replay. He pulls his arm in, not towards the ball. If his arms fully inside his body, shouldn't be given, no advantage can possibly have been gained. Even if on the goal line.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Disgraceful attempt at wumming I hope from you. If you're serious, time to watch a different sport.

Crimson King

Yeah ok.

Crimson King

It’s the VAR paradox and it’s the biggest issue in the game at the moment.

A. Referee’s are too willing to leave incidents to VAR.
B. VAR is too cautious in overruling the original decision of not giving a foul.

It’s why the Casemiro red leaves a particularly bad taste in the mouth because neither A not B was adhered to like they always are.
Yeah that's what frustrated me the most with that. Regardless of whether you think it's actually a red or not, it completely went against the trend refs had set so far this season.

Felt like a right kick in the nuts.

Doracle

Those two incidents in the Leverkusen win over Bayern are brilliant examples of VAR being used properly. Hilarious the ref booked the same player twice for diving before overturning both decisions and awarding penalties.

caid

I don't completely hate Kavanagh, which is a nice change. (im probably forgetting a dozen previous matches that i did).
I imagine fulham do but looking back at it at a later point I wouldn't begrudge him if i was a supporter. Referee's take far more shit than they should tolerate and i think today's reaction to it should be standard really.
Silva wont say a word to him again after today, He thought he was taking a gamble on maybe being told to shut up or possibly a yellow he can use to act victimised about. Nope. Wont be doing that again. Repeat it against the next manager who gives him shit and every other manager will get the message and any non braindead player will too.
Separate from the big talking point he had a pretty consistent level of force allowed in tackling and made good choices with booking professional and cynical fouls fairly early. Thought he kept a good handle on the match basically. Maybe a bit harsh with cards (probably a bit harsh by the end) but its not like he made a secret of it.
Willian and Mitrovic he had no choice with. Theres nothing to talk about for him with that. It'd be weird if he didn't make the calls he did.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
And because VAR failed in its primary purpose. Yet again.
VAR is easily the main reason United won the match. On-field ref didn't give it, and that meant no goal, no red, and no second red.

e - Just watched the Bayern highlights...VAR even more decisive there. From 2 yellows for diving to 2 penalties, and probably the correct decision made after review in both cases. I think people underestimate how much referees don't see!

stevoc

Pen, red and all the following decisions correct too. A rare win for the officials in what's been a poor season
Indeed, in almost every game (not just United games) I've watched this season the officials have been woeful. The standard of Refs in England really is in the shitter.

nainaisson

Now the Premier League has to introduce mind-reading technology to detect whether the player consciously intended to touch the ball with his hand, as if VAR wasn't enough of a headache.

Bert_

:lol: He punched the ball away ffs. It doesn't matter if he tucked his arms in before he did it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
VAR is easily the main reason United won the match. On-field ref didn't give it, and that meant no goal, no red, and no second red.

e - Just watched the Bayern highlights...VAR even more decisive there. From 2 yellows for diving to 2 penalties, and probably the correct decision made after review in both cases. I think people underestimate how much referees don't see!
Don’t see or don’t call because they know VAR will review?

devil99

Willian was trying to stop with his body initially. But at the last moment when he was not able to do so, he used his hands. It was reflex more than intentional. But penalty nevertheless.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Willian was trying to stop with his body initially. But at the last moment when he was not able to do so, he used his hands. It was reflex more than intentional. But penalty nevertheless.
Reflex is intentional

Cassidy

In biology, a reflex, or reflex action, is an involuntary, unplanned sequence or action and nearly instantaneous response to a stimulus
We’re talking about the rules of football not biology.
The idea of non intentional in football is not to cover reflex. Its to cover the hand being in a natural position and not being able to get out of the way.

devil99

We’re talking about the rules of football not biology.
The idea of non intentional in football is not to cover reflex. Its to cover the hand being in a natural position and not being able to get out of the way.
I know it was a penalty. But I hope people stop using intentional/ non-intentional to describe penalty decisions. 99% of time people would not intentionally stop the ball with hands, but do it as a reflex and has to be awarded penalty if a player deemed to have a chance to not do it.

Giggsyking

:lol:

Even the scousers couldn't defend the handball. Yet you have posters here from rival teams getting access to a united forum to write nonsense like this.

Edwards6

This must be the 1st time someone has got sent off for handball on the goal line and its seen as controversial or lucky for the attacking team :houllier:

Cassidy

I know it was a penalty. But I hope people stop using intentional/ non-intentional to describe penalty decisions. 99% of time people would not intentionally stop the ball with hands, but do it as a reflex and has to be awarded penalty if a player deemed to have a chance to not do it.
Why would you hope people stop using terminology described in the rule book? Maybe you should just apply context

Also there are plenty of times handballs are intentional and nothing to do with reflex.

Cassidy

This must be the 1st time someone has got sent off for handball on the goal line and its seen as controversial or lucky for the attacking team :houllier:
ABU alive and kicking

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Your argument falls apart the moment you say "has to be intentional" (so yeah, first line). It was clearly an intentional movement. That's the point of the rule. Intentional doesn't mean that the player has to think "y'know what, I might just pick the ball up and see what happens. Why has nobody else thought of this".

glasgow 21

The ole talksport is a cracker this morning calling continuously for Bruno to be banned too for Liverpool incident. Calling out inconsistency , honestly i nearly fell of my seat with laughter.

glasgow 21

Absolute rubbish defence of the situation and i will go no further.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Is it a straight red for a manager if they try to influence the referee in any way whilst they're reviewing the VAR footage? Or is it more likely because of what Silva said exactly?

It's bizarre seeing this still debated on twitter and whatnot, I can't remember a more deliberate goal-denying handball since probably Suarez at the World Cup, and the shove on the referee is clear, but it's being discussed as some harsh injustice. It's irrelevant if Fulham were the better team up to that point. They were, but the game doesn't stop at 70 minutes. They got what they deserved from their implosion. Little bit of sympathy for Willian, what he did was entirely instinctive to stop a certain goal, though the outcome was correct. But Silva and Mitrovic were idiotic.

The ABUs are calling for a Bruno ban for what happened at Anfield, and he'd most likely have got one if the Linesman didn't grab Bruno first, twice. Players can't be physically handling officials, but that goes both ways.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Is it a straight red for a manager if they try to influence the referee in any way whilst they're reviewing the VAR footage? Or is it more likely because of what Silva said exactly?
I’d say it’s the bolded one.

I’m sure they’ve made it very clear to clubs that it’ll lead to a sending off if any backroom staff tries to do that. If they didn’t it’d be chaos every time they go to the screen. Looking at his comments post-match, it seems Silva was very much aware of those rules.

Baneofthegame

It's bizarre seeing this still debated on twitter and whatnot, I can't remember a more deliberate goal-denying handball since probably Suarez at the World Cup, and the shove on the referee is clear, but it's being discussed as some harsh injustice. It's irrelevant if Fulham were the better team up to that point. They were, but the game doesn't stop at 70 minutes. They got what they deserved from their implosion. Little bit of sympathy for Willian, what he did was entirely instinctive to stop a certain goal, though the outcome was correct. But Silva and Mitrovic were idiotic.

The ABUs are calling for a Bruno ban for what happened at Anfield, and he'd most likely have got one if the Linesman didn't grab Bruno first, twice. Players can't be physically handling officials, but that goes both ways.
It's funny how people conveniently forget that the linesman actually initiated the contact with Bruno twice in the first place.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Poor WUM, 2/10

Giggsyking

The ole talksport is a cracker this morning calling continuously for Bruno to be banned too for Liverpool incident. Calling out inconsistency , honestly i nearly fell of my seat with laughter.
Because they are donkeys who hate united. We get a right decision in our way and the reaction is outrageous from media and other fans. The Bruno incident has absolutely nothing in common with Mitrovic's one.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We've all done a Willian before lets be honest... think anyone who's played has done that (or played in a game where someones done it), probably in the exact same sneaky way too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Because they are donkeys who hate united. We get a right decision in our way and the reaction is outrageous from media and other fans. The Bruno incident has absolutely nothing in common with Mitrovic's one.

Dean Sounesswammabe should be kept away from microphones.

Djemba-Djemba

We've all done a Willian before lets be honest... think anyone who's played has done that (or played in a game where someones done it), probably in the exact same sneaky way too.
His red card was the only understandable one. He's done well to get back on the line but the ball is going past him and he's instinctively put his arm out to block it, it's a blatant handball, a blatant pen and a blatant red card but I can see why he did it.

Silva and Mitrovic going insane afterwards is still confusing me now. What on earth were they doing?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His red card was the only understandable one. He's done well to get back on the line but the ball is going past him and he's instinctively put his arm out to block it, it's a blatant handball, a blatant pen and a blatant red card but I can see why he did it.

Silva and Mitrovic going insane afterwards is still confusing me now. What on earth were they doing?
They were furious about VAR not intervening when Fulham had a couple of penalty shouts denied earlier. At least one of which seemed legitimate (the Shaw push)

Good ol’ VAR. Removing all refereeing errors and controversy, exactly as planned.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair to them - RefWatch on Sky (Dermot and the Gang) have done a very good job on showing/explaining the difference between Bruno's shove on the linesman and Mitro yesterday.

Djemba-Djemba

They were furious about VAR not intervening when Fulham had a couple of penalty shouts denied earlier. At least one of which seemed legitimate (the Shaw push)

Good ol’ VAR. Removing all refereeing errors and controversy, exactly as planned.
The Mitrovic one with Martinez was 100% not a penalty, it was an embarrassing dive.

The Shaw push was a better shout but it wasn't like it was some unbelievable travesty it wasn't given, it definitely wasn't enough of an excuse for them to go absolutely mental when Willian was sent off.

I definitely agree with you about VAR though. It's shite. Refs are now not making decisions on the pitch and relying on VAR to correct them.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Every single discussion about Mitrovic on the radio has started with "BUT WHAT ABOUT FERNANDES??"

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
To be fair to them - RefWatch on Sky (Dermot and the Gang) have done a very good job on showing/explaining the difference between Bruno's shove on the linesman and Mitro yesterday.
Was funny seeing the lassie (apologies, I don't know her name) just saying 'I see what you're saying but I want both of them punished' :lol: absolute halfwit.