g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Keep saying this again and again but how obvious does it have to get before people will stop calling these incidents mistakes and call them for what they are, which is cheating/corruption.

You don't accidentally play advantage then change your mind when the team you're giving an advantage gets through on goal, do you? There is no way to explain that as an honest mistake and even if it is, it's so incompetent the ref should be immediately sacked.

If I made a mistake that bad in my job I would be sacked
The corruption narrative this season has been all about referees taking jollies in gulf states and therefore being biased in favour of clubs like City and Newcastle. Which doesn’t really fit with City being denied a last minute winner. So what’s the conspiracy theory for today?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, I think the ref just had a brainfart. It happens sometimes.
Yeah, it was just a really poor decision. He either didn’t see Grealish or somehow jumped to a conclusion that he was offside without waiting for the incident to play out. Human error. These things happen. And I would have absolutely no problem with an occasional shite call like this if we could go back to a world without VAR.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Just watched it again on motd, he wasn’t clean through on goal at all or one on one with the keeper as I’ve seen it described, he’d already slowed down as he was never getting away from Davies. It was a bad call from the ref but hardly this massive disaster it’s being portrayed as. If anything it would have just give city a free kick 20 yards further up the field as grealish first thought would probably to buy a free kick

SER19

Just watched it again on motd, he wasn’t clean through on goal at all or one on one with the keeper as I’ve seen it described, he’d already slowed down as he was never getting away from Davies. It was a bad call from the ref but hardly this massive disaster it’s being portrayed as. If anything it would have just give city a free kick 20 yards further up the field as grealish first thought would probably to buy a free kick
Bingo. This is where Gary Neville and so on actually really do drive narrative. People are worked up, in stoppage time, and youve neville having a near meltdown before he even gets a replay. Instant knock on effect on social media, spreads like wildfire.

Bottom line is city dont know what to do with a bad call, and if they believe its a bad call then they can swallow it and offset it with some of the worst decisions of the season and many seasons that have gone in their favour. That and the whole widespread cheating and cover up and legal delaying over ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN CHARGES, means I dont have much sympathy.

Seeing city fans complain about the state of football and the way the game is going is like Harold Shipman complaining about the state of the health service.

Cantonagotmehere

I should be irate if City do not get in trouble especialy Haaland for his reaction. If that was United and Bruno, etc...we would be hammered. But, nothing will happen and I just have to expect it.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

They'll relegate this ref to a Championship fixture next GW, then he'll be back reffing the biggest PL game of the weekend a few days later. That'll teach him.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This thread annoys me.

Everyone’s expressing sympathy with Wolves for the decisions that have gone against them this season, yet when they club the majority on this board supposedly supports has potentially game-changing decisions go against them people are falling over themselves to go “we were shit and the ref didn’t cause us to lose that game”.

Nobody’s saying that Wolves should suck it up and be better, instead expressing massive sympathy with them. It’s even more important that the calls that need to go in your favour do so in a fair manner when you’re a team stuck in a rut.

Schär’s first yellow card incident where he gets done on the counter and sticks his leg out at a 90 degree angle from his body only to stop Bruno is such a blatant yellow card that it’s bordering on malpractice not to give it. The second yellow card incident probably doesn’t happen the same way if he’s on a yellow but as they happened, both are clear yellows which allowed their players to be more aggressive than what was reasonable, which obviously played into their hands as a physical side and gave them the edge in the game.

That being said, I thought the ref otherwise had a very good game and set a good consistent level as to what constituted a foul, but those two incidents were potentially game-changing and were necessary for us to get to have a chance to apply pressure earlier. If it had been Wolves against Liverpool nobody would’ve said “well Wolves are shite it’s not the ref’s fault they lost”. Instead, people would’ve pointed to the importance of the lesser team on the day getting fair decisions in making it an even contest and giving the worse team on the day a chance to get a result.
TBH even if he'd been sent off we'd have still lost, we were that bad!

NotThatSoph

I should be irate if City do not get in trouble especialy Haaland for his reaction. If that was United and Bruno, etc...we would be hammered. But, nothing will happen and I just have to expect it.
I remember a lot of complaining about this when United got a fine for ganging up on the ref against Fulham, it happened right before the Mitrovic incident which got him sent off. Lots of talk about how this would only happen to United, etc.

I decided to check. If I remember correctly, 13 or 14 out the 20 clubs had gotten that sort of punishment, including every single one of the bigger clubs except Chelsea. It's just that a small fine isn't very newsworthy, so why would you notice?

Anustart89

TBH even if he'd been sent off we'd have still lost, we were that bad!
Posts like yours are what I refer to when I say that this thread annoys me, so thanks for proving my point.

Regardless of how bad we were, we were just one goal down and put some pressure on them in the final ten minutes. What if we had got twenty minutes of putting pressure on them with a man more. Can you say with absolute certainty that there was no chance we were getting a goal from a set piece or a random penalty or whatever?

The point is that a team that’s playing poorly is even more in need of getting fair calls going for them, and this is something that people seem to think when it’s Wolves, Sheffield United, Luton or what have you, but somehow that goes out the window on a Manchester United forum when it comes to Manchester United because you’re all tripping over yourselves to proclaim that we were never making up a one-goal deficit with one man more for 20 minutes.

Anustart89

As for the City call you can see him putting his whistle in his mouth, then showing advantage and then as Grealish is through he whistles again.

What I think happened is he just missed the potential advantage so the first time he put the whistle in his mouth he had blown it and already given a foul. Once he saw the situation developing he tried playing advantage hoping nobody noticed the first whistle before realising he couldn’t do that and had to call it back. Remember this all happens in the space of about three seconds and is similar to the Diaz offside where the refs want to call it back and realise they can’t within seconds so they start scrambling.

It’s a brainfart caused by him losing his composure, but what I can’t understand is his handling of the situation after that. He’s basically gone on the offensive barking at the players going “stop, stop!” repeatedly instead of holding his hands up, acknowledging he made a massive mistake and apologised to the players. That would’ve defused the situation much more than him going all “respect my authoritaaaa” after HE’S made a massive blunder.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
He's got that spot on, Grealish was covered fully by 3 spurs defenders and without advantage. The reaction is one of utter shock that a call has gone against city.

Patiently awaiting the Haaland ban.
Wow. Just wow. I can't even...really? Grealish has daylight between him and the keeper but he's "without advantage"?

In a nutshell, you're wrong

Anustart89

Should Liverpool's winner should have been ruled out as Tsimikas clearly fouled the defender?

No because another ref missed giving them a goal five weeks ago and Klopp got mad.

That one mistake against Spurs is going to end up benefitting them massively in the long run.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Should Liverpool's winner should have been ruled out as Tsimikas clearly fouled the defender?

Yeah that's fairly clear cut. He challenges from a position where winning the aerial duel is unlikely. Leads with his body into the defender. Clearly impacts their ability to head the ball out and that directly leads to the goal. If that's anywhere else on the pitch, when it doesn't impact Liverpool at Anfield, then that's a foul. Not a genuine attempt to play the ball and no realistic prospect of winning it. Presumably Klopp will be requesting a replay?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Tim Howard said he didn't think it was a foul because something like "one player wanted it more and the other player had tired legs" or somewhat. Puzzling. Fulham player is clearly in position to head the ball away only to be impeded in the back. If that's a keeper making a play the ref would certainly have whistled.

Cantonagotmehere

I remember a lot of complaining about this when United got a fine for ganging up on the ref against Fulham, it happened right before the Mitrovic incident which got him sent off. Lots of talk about how this would only happen to United, etc.

I decided to check. If I remember correctly, 13 or 14 out the 20 clubs had gotten that sort of punishment, including every single one of the bigger clubs except Chelsea. It's just that a small fine isn't very newsworthy, so why would you notice?
I guess it's a bigger issue in the media when United ,etc.. do it. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

tomaldinho1

Need to see if he actually gets a touch on the ball but it looks a clear foul.
I didn't think the City one was that bad, firstly you don't have to see out an attack that's so far from goal if you're over time but also Grealish isn't very quick and he wasn't away from the Spurs players.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

It's a bad decision but the level of coverage it is getting is a good demonstration of the favourable press which City get in every aspect.

Bad decision? Yes. Worse than any of the recent howlers we've been on the receiving end of with zero press coverage? No chance.

Clear favouritism.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Gallagher says the Schar challenge on Bruno was a yellow card offence because it wasnt high enough for a red

If Bruno’s foot was more planted his ankle would have been broken. This falls into the same territory as the Rashford foul and I think Schar should have been sent off.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Keep saying this again and again but how obvious does it have to get before people will stop calling these incidents mistakes and call them for what they are, which is cheating/corruption.

You don't accidentally play advantage then change your mind when the team you're giving an advantage gets through on goal, do you? There is no way to explain that as an honest mistake and even if it is, it's so incompetent the ref should be immediately sacked.

If I made a mistake that bad in my job I would be sacked
If there was any anti City corruption he wouldn't have even given them advantage in the first place.

erikcred

If Bruno’s foot was more planted his ankle would have been broken. This falls into the same territory as the Rashford foul and I think Schar should have been sent off.
Gallagher is a supreme idiot. His opinion means nothing.

If this was given as a red card he'd be standing there explaining why it's an obvious red.

90 + 5min

Gallagher is a supreme idiot. His opinion means nothing.

If this was given as a red card he'd be standing there explaining why it's an obvious red.
This guy is just there to put more agenda out there. It is never a foul against ManUtd players. It is never red for opponents of ManUtd. Every foul by ManUtd player is red card.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No-one whinging about that Liverpool goal yet?
Matey trips the defender and then has an easy tap in

padr81

Supports
Man City
Shocker from Hooper again for the Pool goal, he blatantly stepped across the runners' line bringing him down and then scores.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Shocker from Hooper again for the Pool goal, he blatantly stepped across the runners' line bringing him down and then scores.
Seemed pretty clear. They must have ridiculously thought it was the defender tripping himself up

90 + 5min

It was so clear that I have no idea how they could miss that with VAR. Or maybe they don't care. It is Liverpool afterall.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What’s the betting that one doesn’t get shown on Ref watch.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The ref was yards away from it in real time too. So him and the var ref are probably the 2 non Liverpool fans in the country who didn't see it as a foul.
Oh well onto our game.