VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Jev

You can blame referee and still think we played poorly.

Some people might think he did right denying us clear chance to score because of injury to goalkeeper. However, to not give red card is shocking stuff.
No, that’s not a question of what you “think”. That is the rule.

Jev

That might be rule but it have been used in few other ways. Specially against us and DeGea.
The two situations were not remotely similar, and are you suggesting because one referee once may have made a mistake, we should now keep repeating that mistake forever? Because that is moronic.

90 + 5min

The two situations were not remotely similar, and are you suggesting because one referee once may have made a mistake, we should now keep repeating that mistake forever? Because that is moronic.
Rules are there to be followed. However, we have been on wrong side in many occasions where same rules were looked at in different way. We can't have one rule for ManUtd and one rule for others.

eire-red

On top of my head Curtis Jones and another Liverpool player, Rashford a couple of weeks ago, Romero vs Chelsea
I don't think Schar's tackle was comparable with those, but it was clearly reckless and a yellow.

He had already taken Bruno down on the halfway line, so should have been walking either way.

Rockets Redglare

Saudi FC won today. Where is it EPL referees are flying out to midweek for £30k paydays tax-free to officiate 5-a-side games?
We’ve had some shit decisions recently but the ref was absolutely fine today, if anything he let the game flow and was in charge throughout.

We lost because we’re shite so stop trying to insinuate there’s this huge conspiracy against us, it’s embarrassing.

Jev

Rules are there to be followed. However, we have been on wrong side in many occasions where same rules were looked at in different way. We can't have one rule for ManUtd and one rule for others.
We don’t. The situations are not similar. The goal against us was allowed because it happened instantly after DDG had come down injured, and the ref hadn’t spotted it. If DDG had been lying for as long as Pope did, the ref would have blown his whistle. It’s beyond desperate to focus on this situation, which undeniably was handled correctly by the ref, after a game like this.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
This is, of course, biased nonsense as I’m sure you’ll be the first to accept. The refereeing is consistently inconsistent, look at how Wolves have been treated this season with three apologies already from PGMOL. Last season we had five, the most in Premier League history.

There’s no conspiracy against Manchester United any more than there was against us last season, or Wolves this season.

Even more bafflingly, the referee gave the absolute correct decision in line with the Laws of the Game.

Maybe save the conspiracy stuff until you’ve been genuinely wronged a number of games in a row, not just because you lost and got completely outplayed and need a scapegoat.

90 + 5min

We don’t. The situations are not similar. The goal against us was allowed because it happened instantly after DDG had come down injured, and the ref hadn’t spotted it. If DDG had been lying for as long as Pope did, the ref would have blown his whistle. It’s beyond desperate to focus on this situation, which undeniably was handled correctly by the ref, after a game like this.
It didn't happened instantly. Ball was cleared and I would say it took at least 10 seconds from injury which is lot for referee to notice that. Specially when he had good view. And if he didn't you got VAR who said it was fine. Despite being a rule as you said.

This is, of course, biased nonsense as I’m sure you’ll be the first to accept. The refereeing is consistently inconsistent, look at how Wolves have been treated this season with three apologies already from PGMOL. Last season we had five, the most in Premier League history.

There’s no conspiracy against Manchester United any more than there was against us last season, or Wolves this season.

Even more bafflingly, the referee gave the absolute correct decision in line with the Laws of the Game.

Maybe save the conspiracy stuff until you’ve been genuinely wronged a number of games in a row, not just because you lost and got completely outplayed and need a scapegoat.
Lets see.
Game against Arsenal. Garnacho gets a clear goal disallowed and Arsenal score moments later when there was clear obstruction on Evans.
Game against Tottenham. When it was 0-0, Tottenham defender played like goalkeeper.
Game against ManCIty. A ghost penalty for situations that happen every game and at pretty much every corner.
Game against Crystal Palace. C P scores a goal almost in same way as Evans got his rules out against Burnley for a "player in offside position". We should had penalty but nothing given.

That is 4 games with big impact from referees and VAR. Games we could have won if those decisions were not made in that moment..

I'm not blaming referees for lost game today. We were poor. But once again, we are getting decisions against us. Same decisions that are not watched in same way in other games.

Last edited:

caid

I don't think Schar's tackle was comparable with those, but it was clearly reckless and a yellow.

He had already taken Bruno down on the halfway line, so should have been walking either way.
Thats how i see it. I think it'd be straight red for one of our players too though.

SER19

I criticise refs maybe more than anybody. He was fine tonight. Terrible decision not to book schar, and then another terrible one to play on when schar fouled fernandes, but not exactly game changing and he generally tried to do the same both ways. I wouldnt shudder if i see his name on our game again, and thats about the best compliment i can give an english ref at the minute. I'd return to the days where you generally accept a couple of bad calls in the to and fro of the centre of the pitch, once the ref isnt imposing himself all over the game and making mental game changing calls like weve seen this season.

caid

I criticise refs maybe more than anybody. He was fine tonight. Terrible decision not to book schar, and then another terrible one to play on when schar fouled fernandes, but not exactly game changing and he generally tried to do the same both ways. I wouldnt shudder if i see his name on our game again, and thats about the best compliment i can give an english ref at the minute. I'd return to the days where you generally accept a couple of bad calls in the to and fro of the centre of the pitch, once the ref isnt imposing himself all over the game and making mental game changing calls like weve seen this season.
I'd agree with that as well to be honest. I might be more grumpy in a closer match but thought he was generally good.

CoopersDream

It didn't happened instantly. Ball was cleared and I would say it took at least 10 seconds from injury which is lot for referee to notice that. Specially when he had good view. And if he didn't you got VAR who said it was fine. Despite being a rule as you said.
No, it wasn't any more than 5 seconds. It is not in any way similar to today.

Anustart89

This thread annoys me.

Everyone’s expressing sympathy with Wolves for the decisions that have gone against them this season, yet when they club the majority on this board supposedly supports has potentially game-changing decisions go against them people are falling over themselves to go “we were shit and the ref didn’t cause us to lose that game”.

Nobody’s saying that Wolves should suck it up and be better, instead expressing massive sympathy with them. It’s even more important that the calls that need to go in your favour do so in a fair manner when you’re a team stuck in a rut.

Schär’s first yellow card incident where he gets done on the counter and sticks his leg out at a 90 degree angle from his body only to stop Bruno is such a blatant yellow card that it’s bordering on malpractice not to give it. The second yellow card incident probably doesn’t happen the same way if he’s on a yellow but as they happened, both are clear yellows which allowed their players to be more aggressive than what was reasonable, which obviously played into their hands as a physical side and gave them the edge in the game.

That being said, I thought the ref otherwise had a very good game and set a good consistent level as to what constituted a foul, but those two incidents were potentially game-changing and were necessary for us to get to have a chance to apply pressure earlier. If it had been Wolves against Liverpool nobody would’ve said “well Wolves are shite it’s not the ref’s fault they lost”. Instead, people would’ve pointed to the importance of the lesser team on the day getting fair decisions in making it an even contest and giving the worse team on the day a chance to get a result.

Last edited:

Dr. T

We were shit and I doubt it would have mattered to the result yesterday as we were mauled 1-0, but the standard of officiating this year is just ridiculous. I really detest tactical fouling to break up a team's counterattack (probably because we've been a counterattacking team and also poor at tactical fouling for ages), and it's insulting intelligence that the ref didn't book Schär for his first foul on Fernandes to stop the break. The second foul, studs over the ball and onto the ankle, a clear yellow / borderline red. I mean this was the most obvious two yellow cards = one red you'll see all season. I suppose we should wait for the letters of apology and club statements?

And all this talk about refs letting the game flow. More nonsense. There was another tactical foul in the first half by Joelinton on Garnacho I think, where Joelinton turned around to apologise to the ref for the foul, only to find that the ref had played on.

None of this should disguise how bad we were and how deserved the Newcastle victory was, we weren't 'robbed by the refs', but it's been quite a long time since we've had such a dossier of shit decisions going against us (in PL and CL).

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This thread annoys me.

Everyone’s expressing sympathy with Wolves for the decisions that have gone against them this season, yet when they club the majority on this board supposedly supports has potentially game-changing decisions go against them people are falling over themselves to go “we were shit and the ref didn’t cause us to lose that game”.

Nobody’s saying that Wolves should suck it up and be better, instead expressing massive sympathy with them. It’s even more important that the calls that need to go in your favour do so in a fair manner when you’re a team stuck in a rut.

Schär’s first yellow card incident where he gets done on the counter and sticks his leg out at a 90 degree angle from his body only to stop Bruno is such a blatant yellow card that it’s bordering on malpractice not to give it. The second yellow card incident probably doesn’t happen the same way if he’s on a yellow but as they happened, both are clear yellows which allowed their players to be more aggressive than what was reasonable, which obviously played into their hands as a physical side and gave them the edge in the game.

That being said, I thought the ref otherwise had a very good game and set a good consistent level as to what constituted a foul, but those two incidents were potentially game-changing and were necessary for us to get to have a chance to apply pressure earlier. If it had been Wolves against Liverpool nobody would’ve said “well Wolves are shite it’s not the ref’s fault they lost”. Instead, people would’ve pointed to the importance of the lesser team on the day getting fair decisions in making it an even contest and giving the worse team on the day a chance to get a result.
Indeed. How well a team is playing shouldn't be part of the discussion around these sorts of mistakes. Don't really understand why it's mentioned all the time regarding us.

Anustart89

Another two points gained for Liverpool due to the offside mistake against Spurs. Tsimikas barges straight into the defender from behind as he heads the ball, but no foul is given as TAA scores the winner.

bstb3

Best league in the world... because we also have the most inconsistent refs in the world (inadvertently) dictating the drama?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not a complaint other than for the good of the game (yeah, f*ck City) but how does the ref wave the advantage but once Haaland puts the ball over the top to Grealish he blows the whistle to call it back? And after that, we saw a much weaker foul by Hojlund on Rodri go to review and get called a penalty, but today when the player is actually goal side of the Tottenham defender at the end and he gets pulled down there is no call?

90 + 5min

That was referee misstake but it is not like he was racing alone. He had 3 players beside him.

I look forward TheFa suspending Haaland for his outburst.