g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
There is no point blaming players for diving anymore. It's the referees and the governing body's fault now. They are the reason it is as bad as it is now.

Zero risk, massive reward and it is rewarded so frequently. Nothing to lose. Go for it.

Oranges038

There is no point blaming players for diving anymore. It's the referees and the governing body's fault now. They are the reason it is as bad as it is now.

Zero risk, massive reward and it is rewarded so frequently. Nothing to lose. Go for it.
I was talking to someone about this and players willl continue to chance their arm, because if the referee gives it, VAR won't overturn it or in most cases it won't be deemwd a clear and obvious error.

Or if the referee doesn't give and VAR doesn't give it, they probably won't be booked for diving either.

It's a situation that rewards cheating.

VivaRonaldo85

Jota took a heavy touch around the keeper, felt his ankle brush the keepers shoulder (I think shoulder), realised the ball couldn’t be tapped in as it had run too far so dived to the ground. It’s as clear as day if you watch the footage. What’s the point of VAR if how it operates in the PL results in this still being a penalty?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Jota took a heavy touch around the keeper, felt his ankle brush the keepers shoulder (I think shoulder), realised the ball couldn’t be tapped in as it had run too far so dived to the ground. It’s as clear as day if you watch the footage. What’s the point of VAR if how it operates in the PL results in this still being a penalty?
Exactly.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Yet another bunch of shite decisions backed up by an even worse VAR. I could live with the former if it wasn't for the latter. Given you have the power how can you not drag the ref to the screen for the Jota one? Fecking ridiculous.

CoopersDream

I think the Diaz one was quite clearly a penalty on replay, but Jota one shouldn't be a penalty. The same issue as always with the VAR, what does clear and obvious even mean?

RedRocket9908

What puzzled me most about the 2nd penalty was why Anthony Taylor awarded it straight away when he was a long wsy from the incident so couldnt have had a clear enough view to give it.

HappyCamper

Supports
Liverpool
They’ve got a few contenders to be fair. Yes Jota dived, but at least there was contact … none on this one

https://x.com/PhilHowarth/status/1741939836007645539?s=20
That one is "clear" from other angles. There is plenty contact at least.

Both penalties today can be given but my guess is that VAR wouldn't have intervened if Taylor didn't give a penalty to Jota, and I would have agreed, even though he is "clipped". The bar for penalties should definitely be raised and whether a player falls to the ground or not shouldn't be a deciding factor, which it clearly is.
It would never have been given if Jota stayed up, and I'm sure he could have if his life depended on it...

Regarding the Diaz-spot everyone in here would be shouting for a pen if it was a United-shirt in the mix, but somehow magically it's not much of a pen today. Tribalism and bias are powerful drugs for the brain.
Pen? Diaz' impressive falling-technique didn't hurt Liverpools chances in getting it but I would still guess It's clearer than 50-60% of the pens given this season, and I like to believe that I would argue it was a correct call by Taylor, regardless if it was given to Newcastle or Liverpool.

The real problem here is that overexaggerating have become a needed tool for players and it is unbelievable frustrating to watch.
You simply don't get rewarded for trying to stay up. Ever. While falling to the ground pretending to be sniped from 8 angles, after being slightly pushed by a hobbit with no arms, has a massive upline and no real downline.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

That one is "clear" from other angles. There is plenty contact at least.

Both penalties today can be given but my guess is that VAR wouldn't have intervened if Taylor didn't give a penalty to Jota, and I would have agreed, even though he is "clipped". The bar for penalties should definitely be raised and whether a player falls to the ground or not shouldn't be a deciding factor, which it clearly is.
It would never have been given if Jota stayed up, and I'm sure he could have if his life depended on it...

Regarding the Diaz-spot everyone in here would be shouting for a pen if it was a United-shirt in the mix, but somehow magically it's not much of a pen today. Tribalism and bias are powerful drugs for the brain.
Pen? Diaz' impressive falling-technique didn't hurt Liverpools chances in getting it but I would still guess It's clearer than 50-60% of the pens given this season, and I like to believe that I would argue it was a correct call by Taylor, regardless if it was given to Newcastle or Liverpool.

The real problem here is that overexaggerating have become a needed tool for players and it is unbelievable frustrating to watch.
You simply don't get rewarded for trying to stay up. Ever. While falling to the ground pretending to be sniped from 8 angles, after being slightly pushed by a hobbit with no arms, has a massive upline and no real downline.
Every contact is not a foul or penalty. Every illusion of contact is definitely not penalty.

You won. You were better than Newcastle. By miles. Nothing to argue about. But to explain or justify ghost penalties you got is a big no. There is no chance that any of them were penalties. I would love to hear that explanation from referees and then applied on every game that contact in the box is penalty. Once again, we are seeing special rules being given certain games. Some gets those for them and some teams gets them against them. We know which teams gets what.

Anfield is a hard place to come. Fans are loud and can be "intimidating". If referee can't follow simple football rules then they should not be refereeing those games.

What we need is transparency. I have been talking about that for years because we don't know what is being said in VAR room or between referees. We should have cam and mics on referees but that seems never to happen. Why? Why is it hard to let fans know what is being said during games? Is there something to hide? The only thing you get now is people assuming this and that which they have right to do because what we are seeing time after time if not acceptable.

Looking at yesterday, will we see some kind of statement from Newcastle side? As Liverpool did after Tottenham game. Will we see talk about undermining integrity? Are we going to see media outrage for weeks? Are we going to see apologies from referees and PGMOL? We know the answer.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Jota goes down once his clipped foot actually touches the ground. From the shots behind, you can see that foot lands awkwardly.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Jota goes down once his clipped foot actually touches the ground. From the shots behind, you can see that foot lands awkwardly.
Nah he goes down after his left foot takes an additonal step

It's a very clear, very obvious dive.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Nah he goes down after his left foot takes an additonal step

It's a very clear, very obvious dive.
You can clearly see his clipped foot doesn't make contact with the ground between the clip and him going down. I mean, it's there plain as day.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You can clearly see his clipped foot doesn't make contact with the ground between the clip and him going down. I mean, it's there plain as day.
His right foot? It lands on the floor pretty much instantly after the clip? He then takes another step, then goes down?

Gliggs

I was talking to someone about this and players willl continue to chance their arm, because if the referee gives it, VAR won't overturn it or in most cases it won't be deemwd a clear and obvious error.

Or if the referee doesn't give and VAR doesn't give it, they probably won't be booked for diving either.

It's a situation that rewards cheating.
Unless it’s Martial then the penalty doesn’t get given by the onfield referee and the player gets booked for diving.

Good job that one did get overturned!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Oh Christ you’re not actually defending the indefensible are you?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His right foot? It lands on the floor pretty much instantly after the clip? He then takes another step, then goes down?
It’s his left foot that’s clipped. And he does that thing where he feels the contact then refuses to put any weight on the foot that the keeper touched to make it look as though he was tripped up. It’s a textbook dive but looks more obvious than usual because he had gone so far past the keeper when his diving instinct kicked in.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Go ahead.
So it was a dive, which as you said have happened for years. You’re in the VAR thread, which is fairly new and everyone was very excited that finally dives would be spotted and punished accordingly yet here we are.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Not to worry, I am not defending Israel's policies in this thread.
Agreed, but you’re actually trying to gaslight people into thinking that tiny touch on his foot was enough for his legs to collapse two steps later?

mctrials23

It was an awful dive for the second penalty and yes, if that was a United player we wouldn't be hearing the end of it for the next 2 weeks. The world would be imploding and discussing how the rules need to change. As it is....basically radio silence.

Hammondo

So it was a dive, which as you said have happened for years. You’re in the VAR thread, which is fairly new and everyone was very excited that finally dives would be spotted and punished accordingly yet here we are.
So football has not been ruined then, its basically as it always was.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
It was an awful dive for the second penalty and yes, if that was a United player we wouldn't be hearing the end of it for the next 2 weeks. The world would be imploding and discussing how the rules need to change. As it is....basically radio silence.
Because really a penalty that does not impact the the final outcome should not be the talking point in one of the most one-sided games in PL history that somehow ended up 4-2.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
So football has not been ruined then, its basically as it always was.
Aside from the game stopping for 3 minutes and the added infuriation of it no longer being a single referee being duped from a single viewing from 30 yards at full speed and instead multiple officials not being duped but actively protecting the on field referee’s decision despite having multiple angles, zoom and slow replay to make the correct decision?

Sure everything is as it always was.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
this clip shows how his foot is thrown off balance and lands after being clipped

Hammondo

Aside from the game stopping for 3 minutes and the added infuriation of it no longer being a single referee being duped from a single viewing from 30 yards at full speed and instead multiple officials not being duped but actively protecting the on field referee’s decision despite having multiple angles, zoom and slow replay to make the correct decision?

Sure everything is as it always was.
Yea, I didn't say it was good, just not ruined.

OldSchoolManc

I think the goalkeeper should be investigated to see if he had some sort of muscle cramping poison in his gloves that he administered by touching Jota’s sock.
It’s obvious that Jota’s leg muscles stop working after the poison has taken hold.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Again looking beyond VAR & Liverpool but what we are seeing now is a culmination of where things have been going for the last 2 decades in football. Considering that teams are always looking for the slightest edges to win I find it hard to believe that this stuff isn’t being coached into the players on the training ground itself.
Every PL game I watch these days has players constantly throwing themselves to the ground on every opportunity to get a penalty. The number of times you see attackers putting their foot in a place to get touched & go down is not natural and is obviously something that they are intentionally doing. I hate the refs but I feel for them sometimes because it’s an impossible job