VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Wouldn't it be helpful to rewrite the rules to make them more understandable - taking out the subjective element might help. For example, if the ball hits the hand or the hand hits the ball doesn't matter. Intent doesn't matter. I know there would be outrage initially but eventually everyone would understand and it would be clearer all round.
Then players will try to smash balls into defenders hands. The game will be gone 100%

HTG

Supports
Bayern
VAR is a great invention. The problem is that many fans are whiny little kids who can’t accept human error or grey areas wherein there’s no clear right decision.

cafecillos

Yeah they did. This fan did. In fact I’d say a silent majority did. There was an extremely vocal minority who were never happy, of course. Goes without saying that the introduction of VAR hasn’t shut them up. Despite the fact that, ironically, it was largely introduced to appease them. All it’s done is shifted their narrative from incompetence to corruption.
:lol:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The only way VAR can be acceptable is if they accept handball has to be deliberate and offside is automated. The ridiculous changing of the rule and slowing the footage down to try and give a handball is just mental. I’m yet to see a decision given where somebody’s hand was in a genuinely unnatural position.

The inability to celebrate a goal as you know they will spend 6 minutes deciding whether it’s offside or not is genuinely making it a far worse sport. Something has to be done.

Dan_F

VAR is a great invention. The problem is that many fans are whiny little kids who can’t accept human error or grey areas wherein there’s no clear right decision.
If we’re accepting human error then just get rid of it? I completely agree that football has grey areas that will never be solved, so what’s the point, just let the game flow and have some excitement back.

Offside is the only part that works and it’s probably the most annoying one when it comes to blocking celebrations. Do a coaches challenge where they can challenge one or two decisions per game.

redcucumber

What did we have before VAR? There was way less issues and discourse about decisions before they brought in this half baked tech.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The main perk of VAR has been offside decisions. If you are bringing in semi-auto offside (which is far superior anyway), then you are leaving VAR to be exclusively to micro analyze potential red cards and pens. It's just not needed, and it's giving micro analysis on subjective decisions while watching them in slow motion. Should absolutely be scrapped once semi auto offside is introduced.

Malons

The bar has to be clear and obvious and not the video ref saying "i might have given it, let's slow down the footage and watch it twenty-five times and pause game for several minutes whilst we decide" cannot possibly meet the threshold. If it turns out after the game had actually when you draw lines his elbow was just offside of the 60/40 opinion by the morning after was that it should have been a penalty - so fecking what?

I'd also want the acronym VAR scrapped in hope it'll stop people referring to "technology" like it's an automated, artifical intelligence computer system and instead just call it what it is - video ref.

The Hilton

What did we have before VAR? There was way less issues and discourse about decisions before they brought in this half baked tech.
This isn't remotely true though, there are tons of refereeing errors that are talked about to this day.

You refer to the tech as "half baked", when the tech is fine - unfortunately it's the people using it who are a better match for your description and they'll still be around making a right mess of things, but with the only layer of accountability taken away.

Malons

This isn't remotely true though, there are tons of refereeing errors that are talked about to this day.

You refer to the tech as "half baked", when the tech is fine - unfortunately it's the people using it who are a better match for your description and they'll still be around making a right mess of things, but with the only layer of accountability taken away.
Name one offside not given as tight the Garnacho's disallowed goal vs Arsenal that still has people talking about it to this day. You can't. It doesn't exist.

cafecillos

The idea there were fewer controversies and/or fans were more accepting of refereeing mistakes before VAR is utterly ludicrous. There are plenty of other very valid arguments against VAR without resorting to that absolute nonsense.

Malons

The idea there were fewer controversies and/or fans were more accepting of refereeing mistakes before VAR is utterly ludicrous. There are plenty of other very valid arguments against VAR without resorting to that absolute nonsense.

It isn't though. Before VAR absolutely nobody drew lines on the screen where two players looked roughly in line. VAR has literally invented that controversy.

"Lads I've zoomed in and drawn a virtual line I think runs parallel to the pitch and here's a screenshot that proves the top of his head is overhanging one of the pixels - we was robbed!" was literally never a thing. Not a single forum poster, pub goer, or radio phone in show caller after a game was "outraged" the lineman couldn't see a players eyebrow overhang and didn't put his flag up.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just as well nobody claimed that. A lot of fans constantly moaned about referees before VAR. A lot of fans constantly moan about referees after VAR. Nothing has changed there. One thing VAR has definitely not done is reduced the numbers of fans who are upset about referee’s decisions.

Some fans accepted that referees were human before VAR. For these fans it’s a little harder to accept human error when the whole experience of watching football has been fundamentally altered by a technology that was sold to us with promises of removing human error from refereeing. Promises that were always going to be impossible to keep.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I don't particularly like VAR but am confident that if it were to go, fans will be begging to have it back as soon as a clear decision that VAR routinely overturns goes against their team.

A challenge system might work as a compromise but there'd have to be restrictions on what can and can't be appealed.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't particularly like VAR but am confident that if it were to go, fans will be begging to have it back as soon as a clear decision that VAR routinely overturns goes against their team.

A challenge system might work as a compromise but there'd have to be restrictions on what can and can't be appealed.
Just limit the challenges. Teams will try to use them when they genuinely feel robbed.

Malons

Just limit the challenges. Teams will try to use them when they genuinely feel robbed.
Challenges won't work. It'll be used tactically. The odds of an outrageous decision against you every game is low. Teams will use it to break up play, take momentum out of the game and run down the clock.

1-0 up, 89th minute, 3 challenges remaining. It'd be fecking horrendous and destroy the game even more.

M16Red

Its mind blowing that a species that sent people to the moon 60 years ago, can't find a AI system that draws a line and execute a simple yes or no instruction. Its 2024.
We do the stats for the NFL (I know nothing about NFL or care), but the technology in that system was around before AI. The main problem here is that fouls/handballs are subjective.

You could do off sides easily and we could probably do better than the current line drawing - with incorporating ball impact (pass triggers), in the NFL we can go as deep as ball rotations or even shoulder angles on pass received.

El Zoido

Challenges won't work. It'll be used tactically. The odds of an outrageous decision against you every game is low. Teams will use it to break up play, take momentum out of the game and run down the clock.

1-0 up, 89th minute, 3 challenges remaining. It'd be fecking horrendous and destroy the game even more.
Then only allow one challenge during injury time, and issue punishment for those deemed frivolous.

Players (goalkeepers) are getting booked more often for time wasting now, and we’re having longer injury time periods to account for time wasting during the game, so it wouldn’t be fair to say the authorities don’t care about unsportsmanlike tactics to gain an advantage - they do. At the very least, I think a challenge system is worth a try.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
it’s literally true though, I watch a lot of hull city, we conceded a while ago to a goal that was clearly offside when you saw replays.

everyone just said “ah it’s easier on a screen than live” and got on with it, it was barely mentioned on my he forums and we moved on, same with fouls etc it’s easy to accept mistakes happen in real time? Didn’t see it wrong angle etc.

It’s completely different to stopping the game for 3 minutes and then drawing lines wrong or being 1mm offside which is easily manipulated depending when you count the ball as leaving the foot.

Human error is acceptable, having 28 camera angles slowed down and still getting it wrong is enraging and spoils the sport

cafecillos

it’s literally true though, I watch a lot of hull city, we conceded a while ago to a goal that was clearly offside when you saw replays.

everyone just said “ah it’s easier on a screen than live” and got on with it, it was barely mentioned on my he forums and we moved on, same with fouls etc it’s easy to accept mistakes happen in real time? Didn’t see it wrong angle etc.

It’s completely different to stopping the game for 3 minutes and then drawing lines wrong or being 1mm offside which is easily manipulated depending when you count the ball as leaving the foot.

Human error is acceptable, having 28 camera angles slowed down and still getting it wrong is enraging and spoils the sport
It's "literally" true because you have 1 (one) example from "a while ago" of non-outraged fans (that you know of)?

Ibi Dreams

We do the stats for the NFL (I know nothing about NFL or care), but the technology in that system was around before AI. The main problem here is that fouls/handballs are subjective.
For me the main problem with handball isn't necessarily refs, it's just that they've changed and complicated the rule. It was easier and understandable when handball was a "deliberate" use of the hand. Now that it's not that you get all these ridiculous discussions about arms in a natural position, using your arms for balance/to jump etc etc

Of course it's still subjective, but in general I think it's a lot more simple to judge if you just look for intent

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
For me the main problem with handball isn't necessarily refs, it's just that they've changed and complicated the rule. It was easier and understandable when handball was a "deliberate" use of the hand. Now that it's not that you get all these ridiculous discussions about arms in a natural position, using your arms for balance/to jump etc etc

Of course it's still subjective, but in general I think it's a lot more simple to judge if you just look for intent
All the overthinking is a direct consequence of VAR. When you were just relying on a referee’s decision in the moment you didn’t need all these additional complications. The ref could just decide whether they believed the handball was intentional or not. Which is an intuitive decision that makes most sense in real time. Do you, an experienced referee, believe the player deliberately played the ball with his hand? That’s been a decision we’ve happily allowed them to make for decades. All the extreme slo mo bollockology goes completely against the spirit of the way handball has always been refereed.

Shinjch

The easiest complication to fix is getting rid of the "clear and obvious" stuff. It just adds further second guessing to a situation that doesn't need it. If it looks like it should have been a mistake on a decision in the box, or a red card, then give it on review, don't worry about guessing if it reaches some mythical barrier of being clear and obvious.

ROFLUTION

The easiest complication to fix is getting rid of the "clear and obvious" stuff. It just adds further second guessing to a situation that doesn't need it. If it looks like it should have been a mistake on a decision in the box, or a red card, then give it on review, don't worry about guessing if it reaches some mythical barrier of being clear and obvious.
Clear and obvious pens ruins so many games.

Scrapping that and leaving it entirely to the VAR booth would make way more sense.

(If the VAR room is transparent and has to announce why a pen is given - else we just have moved corruption/UAE refs from a field and into a VAR booth)

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Disagree. At least from my personal pov the discussions just changed. Instead of having a small discussion after almost every single game, we now have less, but bigger discussions.
And we had more issues, I think. At least in my perception, we have less mistakes overall.

saivet

Disagree. At least from my personal pov the discussions just changed. Instead of having a small discussion after almost every single game, we now have less, but bigger discussions.
And we had more issues, I think. At least in my perception, we have less mistakes overall.
Agree with this. Even though we have less mistakes, there are higher expectations and less of a willingness to accept mistakes, given someone else has reviewed it. It can amplify frustration, which is where some of the issue lies. I do think if we go back to no VAR, this will then become obvious and people will be even more upset when there are blatantly wrong decisions. What VAR has done is more or less eradicate the howlers but it's created a grey area which leads to inconsistency in officiating (that inconsistency existed before too!).

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'll be honest I think the suggestion of a challenge system is a bit stupid. It feels like people are perhaps clutching at straws for ways to make VAR fit football, but as with the current iteration, challenges also wouldn't particularly fit in with the way the game is played. Better to just scrap it and accept I was right all along :)

sugar_kane

Just make offsides automated, no VAR and if it's a penalty make it easier to overturn the ref's decision. If he's wrong, he's wrong.

Also change the handball rule to only punish the worst cases of rule breaking, it's mental to basically award a goal for something so innocuous.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
One of the first things I would change with VAR is a question of verbiage. I would not say VAR is there to correct clear mistakes, but rather to add context, different POVs/angles etc.. When you phrase it as a mistake you limit what the VAR will send up for review pretty drastically. That was I am sure part of the idea behind it, but many colleagues do not like to put their other fellow colleagues under fire.

It would be better to apply a sort of legal application based on % certainty (reasonable doubt)when it comes to VAR deciding to ask for an on field review by the ref. Too many times the ref did not really see it wrong from his point of view. He saw the incident but he is just missing something from that incident . Could be obstructed, could have missed a player dragging his feet for example... anything.

The fact is refs cannot see everything and the game has gotten faster and more complex over time so it needs sometimes an extra set of eyes (with technology)on it.

SungSam7

It's mental that only in football do the higher ups basically have to make every look hard.

Very rare in Rugby does the video refs make a mistake, in football, it seems there is an issue every week.

For every var decision we must hear the video referees conversation, the referee must be heard also talking.

Var is not the problem, its the clowns who are running it are. I think it's a good addition but implemented poorly. If anyone thinks Var needs to go, then we will have referees playing by the own rules again.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Name one offside not given as tight the Garnacho's disallowed goal vs Arsenal that still has people talking about it to this day. You can't. It doesn't exist.
Oh yes it is, look up Bobby Stokes, anyway you said in your post decisions, not offsides, and you're dead wrong there as well, pretty much every day someone in the forum brings up the Nani sending off

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

This is true, if you look at sports that have a challenge system it is often used as a tactical thing

Flykicking by B Gunn

Supports
Ipswich
I have a season ticket at Portman Road. It has been a remarkable two seasons. 193 league goals. Just sayin.....

But we have come to notice there has been a problem with the refereeing.

In the Championship we get refs from both the EFL and EPL. However there is a decided difference.
While the former make decisions quickly and stand no bother from anybody, the latter are a bit slow and may not give a decision at all until pushed.

I read that as they, being used to VAR, tend to let it take the strain and rely on it to make big calls.

While we had suspected this for some time for us it was confirmed when we lost to Maidstone in the FA Cup. A cracking game but ruined by appalling refereeing by Prem League ref Anthony Taylor who cost us the game. Firstly when he ignored a blatant shirt pull that actually made on our winger who had the ball but was made to fall on his back. (How many wingers in full flight fall backwards). The ref was very close to the action and could not possibly have missed it. The ball went from there and within 10 seconds was in our net.
Secondly when our defender was brought down heavily in the penalty area and the ref booked him for being fouled !
Useless

I have highlighted this one but over the season it has been a common theme. EPL refs are poor and in my opinion it is all because they are used to relying on VAR.
Scrap it.
Get the excitement back

Malons

Replays should only be looked at in real time too. Slowing down everything so you lose the context of speed and momentum is unfair and makes 99% of tough but ultimately allowed tackles look like borderline red cards if the player being challenged doesn't evaporate into thin air during the physiologically inevitable follow through.

Josh 76

It's mental that only in football do the higher ups basically have to make every look hard.

Very rare in Rugby does the video refs make a mistake, in football, it seems there is an issue every week.

For every var decision we must hear the video referees conversation, the referee must be heard also talking.

Var is not the problem, its the clowns who are running it are. I think it's a good addition but implemented poorly. If anyone thinks Var needs to go, then we will have referees playing by the own rules again.
The thing is. VAR will always be run by someone. That someone will have the final decision. So all that's happening is the game is being refereed in a studio rather than on the pitch.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Rugby isn't a great comparison though is it.
There's tonnes of delays anyway.
There's no concept of handball, and very few offsides let alone major game changing ones.

And the whole game is run in a gentlemanly respect fashion of officials and spectators are more concerned with a spiffing day out and gentle applause than arguing decisions rabidly online all night.

Malons

The thing is. VAR will always be run by someone. That someone will have the final decision. So all that's happening is the game is being refereed in a studio rather than on the pitch.
This is the point people miss. Everyone talks about VAR like it's some NASA-developed artificial intelligence that referees are too stupid to understand and are ruining.

It's a bloke looking at a screen.

"The problem isn't VAR, it's humans" is said as if people don't know that VAR is a human. I'm sure this confidence in this working seems the most strong in those who don't actually know what it is. People genuinely seem to think its technology constrained by humans and if we got humans out the way it'll work better.

How would a human looking at the telly work better without the human looking at the telly? That's why I think there's a reluctance to accept its so flawed, its based on its cheerleaders not really understanding what it is and referring to VAR as if its an operating system. Rename it BLAT (bloke looking at telly) then the number of people demanding the is that we're all too dumb enough to use the 'technological wonder' of 'bloke looking at a telly' correctly, would fall away