g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

Anustart89

Because the rules as to what VAR can intervene with and can't are stupid. It should be everything or nothing + again, we shouldn't be blaming players for poor refereeing decisions and cheating from the opposition.
But since the guidelines say that VAR checks every goal then surely it’d be within their scope to check a goal that comes from breaking the rules? If a goal is scored from kick-off and a player was past the half-way line as the kick-off was taken then the goal would be chalked off. If a player hits the post from a free kick and then touches the ball before anyone else VAR would disallow the goal. He’s cheated the opposing team and he’s moved the ball, and the spray indicating where the ball needs to be, and scored a goal. I don’t see how the rules would prohibit them from intervening.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
But since the guidelines say that VAR checks every goal then surely it’d be within their scope to check a goal that comes from breaking the rules? If a goal is scored from kick-off and a player was past the half-way line as the kick-off was taken then the goal would be chalked off. If a player hits the post from a free kick and then touches the ball before anyone else VAR would disallow the goal. He’s cheated the opposing team and he’s moved the ball, and the spray indicating where the ball needs to be, and scored a goal. I don’t see how the rules would prohibit them from intervening.
I'm just going off what was said in the video where VAR were apparently unable to intervene.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Stretching his (non-existant) credibility by thinking thats a penalty on first glance.

It's never a penalty in a million years - I'd have it down as one of the worst, if not the worst, pen decisions of the season.
Agreed. It's just 3 players who've gone up for the ball and none of them have got it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Kicked PSV out of the cup. Psv hugely shafted by the VAR though. Like, historically bad.

Withnail

Dermot Gallagher's view of Ivan Toney's goal

Get off the fence! What is the point of Gallagher? :lol:

The ref didn't see it as he had his back to it so he didn't make any decision for it to be final.

He also says Forest could move across but they've already lined up the wall and the keepers gone over to cover to the other post when he moves the ball. If it's not against the rules it should be.

Last edited:

RedRocket9908

That VAR review that gave Egypt a penalty was ridiculous, the defender isnt even looking at the attacker he is looking at the ball.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What do they mean by this? The fans will hear them deliberate at the time or some farcical nonsense where they interview the ref after the game?
After the game? Don’t be ridiculous. It will be a very heavily moderated weekly or monthly show where they are given preparation for each question and agree the answers with PGMOL reps.

Withnail

After the game? Don’t be ridiculous. It will be a very heavily moderated weekly or monthly show where they are given preparation for each question and agree the answers with PGMOL reps.
Well that was slightly tongue I cheek. I knew by the it was worded that they weren't going to allow to hear us to hear their deliberation in real time. Anything else is pointless and Howard Webb is having a laugh by claiming that anything they dream up other than that brings football in line with rugby.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Did that (not by his side) hand prevent the goal?
Doesn't matter if it does or doesn't. It's just funny that the initial reason was because his arms were by his side when they're clearly not.

It's also annoying that we (like United) always seem to be on the wrong side of subjectivity when it comes to VAR.

Last edited:

cyberman

Did that (not by his side) hand prevent the goal?
Exact opposite funnily enough. The ball is coming back out and it accidentally hits his arm which sends it towards the goal.
I can see why it’s not given.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Just watched the highlights. They got this one perfectly right for me and it's a perfect use of VAR considering the context of the situation.

1- The ball never crossed the line fully after it hit his arm so it wasn't a goal
2- The ball deflected off the woodwork awkwardly and the lad had no way of knowing where it was going so the handball was completely accidentally
3- His arms weren't in an unnatural position and didn't move towards the ball to impact it (which let's be fair, would have been madness)
4- Had Robinson been on the moon, Fulham had two players in front of your nearest player and would have in high likelihood cleared it

You've had some shocking decisions go against you this season admittedly but I can't see this as one of them

RedRocket9908

Dermot Gallagher explains how the new in-game VAR explanations from the match officials at stadiums would help provide clarity for fans

cyberman

Dermot Gallagher explains how the new in-game VAR explanations from the match officials at stadiums would help provide clarity for fans

They’ll just use generic statements and not explain why A is opposite of B.
We all know why they give decisions, it’s why they’re so inconsistent from the rest is what we want to know

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Liverpool as a club and their sock puppets in the media have been talking about Tierney. He was terrified to give that decision.

Gee Male

That was a bit of a mad one. If he wasn't fouling him, then what was he doing?