VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
You said it yourself though, the Bournemouth player is actively running to try and push the Wolves player prior to the swing rather than interested in the game itself. I'd probably say it's possible to give the goal and give a red to the Wolves player and a yellow to the Bournemouth one.
I don't disagree, it's a weird one

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I agree with that as well.

I would say though, that one thing the refs do a lot in the NFL (ok, I'm aware it's more stop - start than football) is they do go and look at the screens a lot more on the sidelines. How many times do you see refs do that in the Prem, despite it being available to them?

I just don't get why a decision will be flagged and then then ref himself, 99% of the time, will just stand there waiting for the decision. Go over to the TV screen and at least look at it yourself, then do what you have suggested, which is talk more. But they barely do it.
And, watch it back in real-time, not slow-mo. Actions can always look dubious slowed down to virtual freeze frame, they need to be viewed in context.
I think the NFL is too stop start to implement that in football. It is bad enough with the 2 minute+ ones now. Imo, having the conversation streamed live over the tannoys in the ground and on TV would firstly eliminate any 'Dean' type situations as he would just look like a moron in front of the world and the fans would push for a decision/have a bit more understanding of what is taking so long. This may also require all grounds to have big screens so the can see what is happening in conjuction with the conversation.

Thanks. Old then, but still a damning statement.

This is bad too:

According to a report from the Daily Telegraph’s Jim White in 2013, Halsey opted not to take a severance payment of £50,000 from the PGMOL upon retiring from officiating, instead taking on a position with BT Sport. Per the piece, the sum is only issued if the referees agree to a “gagging order” to prevent them discussing their officiating days when they retire.
Halsey clearly knows something is wrong and wants to be on the right side if anything ends up in court.

The NFL is a very stop start game. That style of refereeing is never going to work in football. We’re already seen the amount of complaints when decisions take a couple of minutes.

My perspective with offsides would be to accept the on pitch decision unless there is a clear and obvious error offside missed. That means space between the two players. I don’t see the point in measuring millimetres to strike a goal off. That has ruined the excitement of football.
I agree the NFL stop start model will not work in football. I feel the conversion option as I mention above is much better as seen in Rugby.

That said, I loath 'clear and obvious' as it means a VAR has to go 'ok, it is the wrong decision, but is it a really wrong decision'? It just adds a next layer of conjecture.

As for 'toe nail' off sides, if we move to space between the two players or 'daylight' we are only going to end up with situations where a defenders shirt is blowing in the wind, so is playing a player onside from the angle of the camera or something equally ridiculous. For me, just use the semi-automated and along with the current VAR system for offside.

It’s does seem curious that nearly all the professional referees support lower league clubs or bottom half Premier League sides. Anyone would think they lied so they didn’t lose the chance to ref big games.
Indeed.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Penalty on Pedro imo, worse one for me was before when the ball hit Walkers hand as he was running with the ball? If that was us you would bet your house on them pulling it back, but from the looks of it they didn't even look at it?

CoopersDream

Penalty on Pedro imo, worse one for me was before when the ball hit Walkers hand as he was running with the ball? If that was us you would bet your house on them pulling it back, but from the looks of it they didn't even look at it?
Agree with the penalty, should have been one. Did it really hit the hand, though? It looked like it originally, but I can't see the touch looking at the replay.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
They can't even be bothered hiding it. A penalty would have changed nothing but nope, nobody is getting anything.

Pughnichi

How on earth is that not a pen. I know the game is done at 4-0 but there’s clear contact. From behind. And no touch on the ball.

YikesSchmeics

That is given as a pen against any other team in the league. Its so obvious that they have leverage on the referees en masses. Absolutely ridiculous how often they get away with it. Michael Olivers behaviour in City games alone is worthy of an inquest.