VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I thought the ref let a lot go today which led to a good game.

Bruno, MacAllister and Gomez all could have gone but he kept them on. I thought he had a good game - didn’t give any soft free kicks for players falling over with no contact, exactly as it should be.
He gave a soft foul for Salah for exactly that, 5 seconds after he waved Garnacho on after being dragged down.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ref was awful, ridiculously bad. Thought VAR may have said this was worth a look too… studs, dangerous.

I think Dixon said they both got there about the same time :nono:

Worse than MacAllister hitting someone in the chest, collapsing and getting the FK

The more I watch it the more baffling it gets :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ref was awful, ridiculously bad. Thought VAR may have said this was worth a look too… studs, dangerous.

Worse than MacAllister hitting someone in the chest, collapsing and getting the FK

That’s outrageous. The idea that someone could watch a replay and not send him off genuinely beggars belief. Disgusting.

redshaw

What about that "foul" called on Mac Allister in extra time, compare to what Bruno got bundled over for and it's play on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That’s outrageous. The idea that someone could watch a replay and not send him off genuinely beggars belief. Disgusting.
It's because they've both got flying studs and their feet meet. If Wan Bissaka was standing and matey stormed in like that it'd have been no debate.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It's because they've both got flying studs and their feet meet. If Wan Bissaka was standing and matey stormed in like that it'd have been no debate.
Wan Bissaka has his eyes on the ball and lifts his foot to control it. He’s not even aware of Gomez and has no momentum whatsoever whereas Gomez comes flying in both feet off the floor with zero control. It’s quite frankly bollocks to suggest it was a six of one challenge.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wan Bissaka has his eyes on the ball and lifts his foot to control it. He’s not even aware of Gomez and has no momentum whatsoever whereas Gomez comes flying in both feet off the floor with zero control. It’s quite frankly bollocks to suggest it was a six of one challenge.
The debate is whether it's a red. I'm perfectly fine with a yellow, just don't see any more in it.

The McAllister stud to Maguire chest not even getting looked at, and him getting the free kick baffles me more.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
From 105:00 to 121:53 (since Amad scored on 120:07) I timed every single game stoppage (throw-in, foul, goal-kick, yellow, corner, injury etc) because I'm a bit drunk and/or neurodivergent.

That amounted to 07:27 seconds. Just over a minute for Rashford's goal, almost 2 minutes for Amad's and almost a minute for their ginger's timewasting and subsequent yellow being the major stoppages.

So technically, he was was right to add on five except it isn't consistent because think of all the fouls, throw-ins, corners, injuries etc in 45 minutes halves, no way they all get added on. So it was definitely drama-infused injury time.

Fitchett

It will be ignored because of the late drama, but the ref was an absolute disgrace. The latest corrupt official who favoured Liverpool on numerous occasions. Full credit to United for overcoming such a massive handicap.

I dont see that as a red. Both boots at the same height and angle at the same time.

The one i dont get and havent seen up close to be fair is what looked like a clear foul on Bruno in the run up to their second goal.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The fact that there was just as much injury time in one second half of extra time, then both the first and second half of the actual full 90 minutes - the first of which had a few VAR checks, and the second which had loads of subs, was absolutely mental. there was literally one sub and one goal + a bit of timewasting from their keeper. How did that equal nearly 4 minutes?!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The studs/feet are irrelevant as they never place either player in any danger. The issue here is Gomez fecking launching himself at AWB and smashing his hip into his head. Which is the definition of reckless/dangerous.

It’s another example of this batshit idea the football authorities (and, evidently, some fans) have that a brain injury really isn’t that big a deal but god forbid a footballer ever gets studs to his shin.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Has anyone ever witnessed a home team being so shafted by refereeing decisions that benefited the away team so much in English football before?

And these Scouse pricks have the audacity and complete lack of self-awareness to think they were hard done by?

Their victim complex is unrivalled in world sports.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Has anyone ever witnessed a home team being so shafted by refereeing decisions that benefited the away team so much in English football before?

And these Scouse pricks have the audacity and complete lack of self-awareness to think they were hard done by?

Their victim complex is unrivalled in world sports.
Yes, us, regularly.

Oranges038

Yeah still dont see that as dangerous enough to warrant a red. We'd be furious if it was given against us.
It's hilarious coming from a fanbase that still bangs on about that Nani red against Real to think Gomez deserved a red yesterday. Both had high feet going for a bouncing ball, it's a collision, not every bit of physical contact has to be a foul or a card.

Phil

Another word for the ref. Even some of my most ABU wanker friends were getting annoyed with how there were different rules applied for the two teams. Exact same fouls called for Liverpool but not for us.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It's hilarious coming from a fanbase that still bangs on about that Nani red against Real to think Gomez deserved a red yesterday. Both had high feet going for a bouncing ball, it's a collision, not every bit of physical contact has to be a foul or a card.
Completely different. Wan Bissaka was the player making the effort to control of the ball, as was Nani. Gomez had full view of the ball and player and he was making a challenge. A challenge with zero control, both feet off the floor, studs high and clattered the player with his hip with his momentum.

Anustart89

Ignore the boots and focus on the arse smashing into AWB’s head.
Remember when Raul Jimenez was sent off after doing just that and everyone was in agreement that it was a horror tackle. Hmm, I wonder what’s changed.

#protectshinsnotheads seems to be the official hashtag for the PGMOL, like we’ve previously said. But sometimes protect heads anyway. Just not United heads. And not if it involves a spectacular attempt at scoring a goal

Just look at the headline for a tackle with similar force, lead-up and everything with the only difference being the height.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ised-dangerous-Newcastles-Sean-Longstaff.html

Rooney in Paris

Scout
What's hilarious is you equating 2 situations that are nothing alike.

Oranges038

Completely different. Wan Bissaka was the player making the effort to control of the ball, as was Nani. Gomez had full view of the ball and player and he was making a challenge. A challenge with zero control, both feet off the floor, studs high and clattered the player with his hip with his momentum.
Grow up, Nani wasn't a red card and neither is this.

Both players go high, ball is bouncing, both have studs up, but Gomez should go because he had his other foot off the ground and momentum carried him over AWB. It's never a red, barely even a foul, it's a 50/50 as both players play the high ball in a similar manner.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Both players go high, ball is bouncing, both have studs up, but Gomez should go because he had his other foot off the ground and momentum carried him over AWB. It's never a red, barely even a foul, it's a 50/50 as both players play the high ball in a similar manner.
That picture isn’t the evidence of it not being a red you seem to think it is.

Giggsyking

There was a second yellow card and red card on Mac Allister, I just couldnt believe my eyes it was giving a foul on Maguire instead.

The ref was a donkey of the first degree.

Oranges038

That picture isn’t the evidence of it not being a red you seem to think it is.
Both players initially decided to leave the ground and go for a bouncing ball with studs up. AWB just pulls back a bit when he sees Gomez coming, momentum is against him anyway. Gomez falling all over him after the impact doesn't make it a red card offence.

Look at the whole sequence and where their feet actually meet, instead it's just saying his hip hit him in the head, that's a red card. Which is what we complain about VAR doing for challenges, just focusing on one little bit or image without judging the whole action leading up to it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There was a second yellow card and red card on Mac Allister, I just couldnt believe my eyes it was giving a foul on Maguire instead.

Are you crazy? Should have been a straight red to Maguire for attacking MacAllister's studs with his chest! Textbook violent conduct if I've ever seen it

Bangor_Red

Lets not forget Bruno got a yellow for trying to play a free kick quickly a few matches ago. The rules we're reversed for Bruno, he got a yellow instead of the opposition player that got in the way. Today rules are back to normal and Amad gets a yellow.

The dissent I've seen from players and managers since Dalot got two yellows in seconds has been incredible. Just in isolation the Dalot getting two yellows was blatant feckery of the highest order from a slimly bastard. How can the club and others not raise this issue.

ETH gets a yellow for nothing and we have antics up and down the pitch sideline each week.
The amad first yellow was more of a joke given he blocked them taking a free kick 5 yards into our half when it was actually given 10 yards in their half near the top of the centre circle.
I thought they got a lot of minor fouls and as usual we got very little of the ssme. The drag on garnacho is a regular decision we don't seem to get. Hoijland has been dragged around a fair few times this season as he receives the ball

Offsideagain

Yep, double standards from Klopp. Mac Allister should have been off the pitch. Shocking tackle on Garnacho and generally putting himself about. Imagine if Casemiro had done any of that stuff! . Commentators and pundits would have been screaming for red cards. Booking Amad for trying to get the Scousers to take the free kick from the correct position ten yards away was a joke. That happens every week and nobody gets booked. They kicked the ball away several times which is a bookable offence, but no bookings. Twats.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

WTF? I feel like I’m going mad here. Why is everyone obsessing over the position of their feet when AWB gets smashed in the head?

Oranges038

WTF? I feel like I’m going mad here. Why is everyone obsessing over the position of their feet when AWB gets smashed in the head?
Because that's just looking at one part of the impact and ignoring the full action. You know, what we complain about when the ref gets shown slective screenshots like this.

And this

So if they ignore the whole part leading up to it where both players go high with studs showing and only show Gomez hitting him in the head. Then yeah, it's a red card.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Because that's just looking at one part of the impact and ignoring the full action. You know, what we complain about when the ref gets shown slective screenshots like this.

And this

So if they ignore the whole part leading up to it where both players go high with studs showing and only show Gomez hitting him in the head. Then yeah, it's a red card.
I really couldn’t give a toss about freeze frames from this, or any other incident. My opinion is based on the video footage. Which showed Gomez launching himself towards AWB and smashing his hip into his head. Which is dangerous (much more dangerous than the stud to shin tackle that usually causes outrage) and should be punished by a red card. The position of their feet is irrelevant.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I dont see that as a red. Both boots at the same height and angle at the same time.

The one i dont get and havent seen up close to be fair is what looked like a clear foul on Bruno in the run up to their second goal.
I paraphrased my original post “studs, dangerous” when what I meant was studs up AND dangerous collision as two separate events.

In my view, the studs up thing is close but I did think AWB pulls his boot down last second, Liverpool player doesn’t. I.e. AWB had some thought about the coming impact

The Liverpool player makes no attempt to change his boot position AND no attempt to try and minimize the impact… just flies straight into him at height.

For me, the lack of any thought to make that tackle safer (and that there’s clearly two parts to it) means it’s not a 50/50 or football coming together incident. I don’t expect a ref to see that (it’s too quick), I expect VAR to though

(Bruno one is probably a foul, nothing major and Bruno reaction (and dare I say, his recent well publicized history on similar tackles) probably puts doubt in a refs mind. It’s why I think he shouldn’t be captain. Covid Bruno was an animal, tearing through matches and taking all the hits,, this one seems “woe is me”)

tomaldinho1

This is not how it works. If the challenge (regardless of how the challenge comes about) is violent/dangerous there should be a card. It's not like VAR see you kick someone in the head but say 'he didn't mean it, look his eyes were on the ball'. It would have a bearing on the severity of the ban though, as if you actually deliberately did that they would increase the three match ban.

Conor

I don't really get why so many people are going on about those challenges, neither of them registered whatsoever for me in terms of potential red cards while watching the match. MacAllister was hilarious rolling around after the Maguire one, but certainly don't see how it should have ended up with him being given a yellow.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I don't really get why so many people are going on about those challenges, neither of them registered whatsoever for me in terms of potential red cards while watching the match. MacAllister was hilarious rolling around after the Maguire one, but certainly don't see how it should have ended up with him being given a yellow.
Not a big fan of applying the rules of football on the pitch are you?

90 + 5min

Red card every week. Studs up in stomach/chest. But we got a referee giving freekick to other team? Impressive.

Conor

Not a big fan of applying the rules of football on the pitch are you?
Maguire is completely late to the ball, and it's not like it was studs up into his chest directly, I don't really see how it's anything more than a free for us at worst.