VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

hmchan

Incorrect. VAR isn’t allowed to go back and give a foul or yellow card. A red card can be changed to a yellow by VAR. They can only change something to a foul if it leads to a goal or penalty. I posted the rules earlier.
Incorrect. The rules only indicate the situations where VAR could be triggered. Once it's triggered, any outcome is possible.

Google "VAR for a yellow card: is it allowed?" and look at Bolivia's Saucedo as an example.

arnie_ni

Incorrect. The rules only indicate the situations where VAR could be triggered. Once it's triggered, any outcome is possible.
Im fairly certain they can't give a foul and a yellow card if no foul was given initially.

hmchan

Chief123

Google "VAR for a yellow card: is it allowed?" and look at Bolivia's Saucedo as an example.
You said VAR can give a foul. They can’t unless it’s one of the 4 specific circumstances which the hair pull incident wasn’t. As VAR didn’t deem it a red card incident, they couldn’t call for a foul. VAR were not allowed to call back the hair pull for a foul as it didn’t lead to a penalty or a goal and they did not feel it was a red card incident.

Last edited:

Chief123

I'm not sure if this example satisfies you. Point is, the four situations are only the thresholds for triggering VAR, and any outcome is possible after review (not red or nothing). This rule is universal and applies to all leagues.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/premie...ar-man-utd-burnley/1jic7crgz63ve159wd72wjlh71
This is what you need to look at.

What incidents does the VAR check?
VAR will be used only for “clear and obvious errors” or “serious missed incidents” in four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity.

What incidents does the VAR not check?
The VAR will not review incidents outside of the four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity.

It will not review, for example, fouls or handballs in the middle of the pitch when there is no goal or penalty decision.

It will not review the decision to award a corner instead of a goal-kick, even if the corner produces a goal.

This is because the VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that led to the goal, and the starting point is limited to the immediate phase, in this instance the corner being taken.
Source: https://www.premierleague.com/news/1293321

Last edited:

hmchan

You said VAR can give a foul. They can’t. Yellow card yes if they deem it’s not worthy of a red card. But any outcome is not possible. VAR were not allowed to call back the hair pull for a foul as it didn’t lead to a penalty or a goal. They could only call the foul if it led to a goal.
The example above shows VAR called for a foul on Shaw (which was missed initially), although the VAR was triggered by a DOGSO on the other end of the pitch. Anyway, it's not red or nothing which you have been misleading people into, not even close.

Regarding the Cucurella incident, VAR had been triggered already because a red card incident was suspected. Whether a goal had been scored was irrelevant. If Dean and Taylor felt there was a misconduct, they could give a red or a yellow to Romero, or simply an indirect free kick to Chelsea.

hmchan

This is what you need to look at.

What incidents does the VAR check?
VAR will be used only for “clear and obvious errors” or “serious missed incidents” in four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity.

What incidents does the VAR not check?
The VAR will not review incidents outside of the four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity.

It will not review, for example, fouls or handballs in the middle of the pitch when there is no goal or penalty decision.

It will not review the decision to award a corner instead of a goal-kick, even if the corner produces a goal.

This is because the VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that led to the goal, and the starting point is limited to the immediate phase, in this instance the corner being taken.

So no not every outcome is possible from a VAR check.

Source: https://www.premierleague.com/news/1293321
In case you don't know, VAR has been used already to check the Cucurella incident, very likely based on a suspected direct red-card incident. Hence there was a delay in taking the 2nd corner. Do you have a clue on what you're talking?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The Sky report says this:
"Unlike rugby, football laws do not specifically mention hair-pulling. The officials must decide whether the extent of the hair pulling is forceful enough to be considered violent conduct, if it is not then it would probably be considered unsporting behaviour and result in a yellow card".

So the pull on Cucarella was forceful enough to floor him but not forceful enough to be considered violent conduct, I genuinely don't understand where the line is, it couldn't have been any more forceful.

To me, a cheeky pull to put someone off would be "unsporting behaviour". A yank strong enough to floor someone is the definition of violent.

I just wish the refs would explain their decisions.

Lyng

The Sky report says this:
"Unlike rugby, football laws do not specifically mention hair-pulling. The officials must decide whether the extent of the hair pulling is forceful enough to be considered violent conduct, if it is not then it would probably be considered unsporting behaviour and result in a yellow card".

So the pull on Cucarella was forceful enough to floor him but not forceful enough to be considered violent conduct, I genuinely don't understand where the line is, it couldn't have been any more forceful.

To me, a cheeky pull to put someone off would be "unsporting behaviour". A yank strong enough to floor someone is the definition of violent.

I just wish the refs would explain their decisions.
He should obviously have seen red for violent conduct. If I was a Chelsea fan I would feel robbed.

Chief123

Regarding the Cucurella incident, VAR had been triggered already because a red card incident was suspected. Whether a goal had been scored was irrelevant. If Dean and Taylor felt there was a misconduct, they could give a red or a yellow to Romero, or simply an indirect free kick to Chelsea.
You’re still not getting it. You made the point VAR reviewed that incident and could have given a yellow, red or foul. That’s not true. They couldn’t call it back and say it was a foul. The only time they could call it a foul is if they scored or it led to a penalty. As they didn’t, they can’t call it a foul. That’s the point.

The fact that it should have been a red and wasn’t is a different discussion.

Chief123

In case you don't know, VAR has been used already to check the Cucurella incident, very likely based on a suspected direct red-card incident. Hence there was a delay in taking the 2nd corner. Do you have a clue on what you're talking?
I could ask you the same question after I’ve shown you the law. Your nonsense of they can review it and call it a yellow, red or foul is a load of shite.

hmchan

You’re still not getting it. You made the point VAR reviewed that incident and could have given a yellow, red or foul. That’s not true. They couldn’t call it back and say it was a foul. The only time they could call it a foul is if they scored or it led to a penalty. As they didn’t, they can’t call it a foul. That’s the point.

The fact that it should have been a red and wasn’t is a different discussion.
I could ask you the same question after I’ve shown you the law. Your nonsense of they can review it and call it a yellow, red or foul is a load of shite.
You're still not getting it. If they couldn't call it back, why would they pause the 2nd corner, review and look into the incident at all? The law you cited shows when VAR can be USED, and it has been USED already. Your reading comprehension is a load of shite.

Chief123

You're still not getting it. If they couldn't call it back, why would they pause the 2nd corner, review and look into the incident at all? The law you cited shows when VAR can be USED, and it has been USED already. Your reading comprehension is a load of shite.
They are stopping the incident because they are checking for a “red card incident”. You either get it or you don’t. Your understanding comprehension is….never mind.

Chief123

Instead of coming across like a tool, you should maybe read the explanation of the review for that particular incident then question your own comprehension. Here I’ll help you:

“VAR review: Let's start with the VAR protocol itself. The VAR cannot advise that a referee has missed a general free-kick offence in open play that doesn't lead directly to a goal or penalty. If the referee misses a foul in the lead-up to a corner, the VAR cannot tell the referee to cancel that set piece. If the team then scores from that corner, the goal cannot be disallowed. The only way the VAR can get involved in this situation is if they feel there has been a red-card offence.

Hair pulling is rare, and isn't specifically covered within the Laws of the Game so comes under either violent conduct or unsporting behaviour, depending on the specifics, though the mere act isn't an automatic dismissal. But when off the ball and with force it would be considered by most referees to be a red card.
The bold part is exactly what you need to fill the gap in your education. VAR can not “cancel the corner and call a foul” like you suggested. Next time I’d spend a bit of time understanding the facts before coming across as condescending.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/eng...charlison-offsideleicester-penalty-overturned

hmchan

They are stopping the incident because they are checking for a “red card incident”. You either get it or you don’t. Your understanding comprehension is….never mind.
Finally you are talking sense, at least you now agree the threshold was passed and VAR was USED. Now let's move on to the next part. The Saucedo incident, which triggered VAR for a suspected red card incident (no goal or penalty involved), finally resulted in a yellow card. In a very similar situation, which law you think has prevented referee from giving Romero a yellow card? Another example, VAR looked into Brady's DOGSO as a suspected red card incident (also no goal or penalty involved), later called a foul on Shaw for the buildup. So why referee couldn't give a foul after VAR review?

Chief123

Finally you are talking sense, at least you now agree the threshold was passed and VAR was USED. Now let's move on to the next part. The Saucedo incident, which triggered VAR for a suspected red card incident (no goal or penalty involved), finally resulted in a yellow card. In a very similar situation, which law you think has prevented referee from giving Romero a yellow card? Another example, VAR looked into Brady's DOGSO as a suspected red card incident (also no goal or penalty involved), later called a foul on Shaw for the buildup. So why referee couldn't give a foul after VAR review?
Read my latest post. Thank you.

hmchan

Instead of coming across like a tool, you should maybe read the explanation of the review for that particular incident then question your own comprehension. Here I’ll help you:

The bold part is exactly what you need to fill the gap in your education. VAR can not “cancel the corner and call a foul” like you suggested. Next time I’d spend a bit of time understanding the facts before coming across as condescending.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/eng...charlison-offsideleicester-penalty-overturned
Okay we are back to square one...

Chief123

Okay we are back to square one...
You are back to square one because you don’t want to accept you’re wrong. Here I’ll paste it again…

If the referee misses a foul in the lead-up to a corner, the VAR cannot tell the referee to cancel that set piece. If the team then scores from that corner, the goal cannot be disallowed. The only way the VAR can get involved in this situation is if they feel there has been a red-card offence.
Meanwhile you’re still scratching your head wondering why they didn’t call it a foul. Amazing.

hmchan

Read my latest post. Thank you.
Citing from your very own article: The only way the VAR can get involved in this situation is if they feel there has been a red-card offence.
Citing from your very own reply #137: They are stopping the incident because they are checking for a “red card incident”.

Clearly, VAR felt there had been a red-card offence, at least a suspected one, so they paused the game and got involved in the situation by checking the play. Using the terms in the law, VAR was used.

Also in your very own article: Dean could send Taylor to the monitor for a possible red card even if he wasn't absolutely certain Romero should be sent off. If the referee disagrees it's a red, he could still issue a yellow -- though it's highly likely Taylor would have sent Romero off. If Taylor only issued a yellow, at the very least it would have allowed the Romero incident to be dealt with and a free kick awarded to Chelsea, and the corner from which Spurs scored wouldn't have happened.

Still, red or nothing?

Chief123

Citing from your very own article: The only way the VAR can get involved in this situation is if they feel there has been a red-card offence.
Citing from your very own reply #137: They are stopping the incident because they are checking for a “red card incident”.

Clearly, VAR felt there had been a red-card offence, at least a suspected one, so they paused the game and got involved in the situation by checking the play. Using the terms in the law, VAR was used.

Also in your very own article: Dean could send Taylor to the monitor for a possible red card even if he wasn't absolutely certain Romero should be sent off. If the referee disagrees it's a red, he could still issue a yellow -- though it's highly likely Taylor would have sent Romero off.

Still, red or nothing?
Riiight, and that’s not the point you’ve been harping on about. Or do you finally accept they can’t award a foul?

hmchan

Riiight, and that’s not the point you’ve been harping on about. Or do you finally accept they can’t award a foul?
The point I've been harping on about is you have been misleading people into the idea of "red or nothing".

Chief123

The point I've been harping on about is you have been misleading people into the idea of "red or nothing".
Misleading people. Nothing like a classic tangent to back pedal :lol:

You came in with your Hollywood line that it was a misconception everyone had that VAR were unable to give a red, yellow or a foul. But you were the only person in the world to have that understanding.:lol:

Anustart89

Misleading people. Nothing like a classic tangent to back pedal :lol:

You came in with your Hollywood line that it was a misconception everyone had that VAR were unable to give a red, yellow or a foul. But you were the only person in the world to have that understanding.:lol:
VAR doesn’t give anything. It’s always the ref. VAR can, if they feel that the incident could warrant a red card, send the referee to the monitor, at which point every possible outcome is available to the referee. Ie, no change, free kick, free kick and yellow or free kick and red. So yes, if Mike Dean had said “this could be a red card, come have a look”, the referee could’ve gone to the monitor and given a yellow and a foul which would’ve cancelled the corner that Spurs scored from.

Chief123

VAR doesn’t give anything. It’s always the ref. VAR can, if they feel that the incident could warrant a red card, send the referee to the monitor, at which point every possible outcome is available to the referee. Ie, no change, free kick, free kick and yellow or free kick and red. So yes, if Mike Dean had said “this could be a red card, come have a look”, the referee could’ve gone to the monitor and given a yellow and a foul which would’ve cancelled the corner that Spurs scored from.
This has already been discussed and explained in the article I posted. I don’t really want to get involved at length with this again, but it’s worth reading the explanation as there’s clearly a lot of misunderstanding of how VAR is used in the premier league.

In this situation and particular incident it was either a red card or nothing. VAR can not give the foul. And they will not send the referee to the monitor to review the incident as VAR is only looking for an “indisputable red card” as mentioned below. I’ve already cited above as well why VAR isn’t allowed to call it back for a foul. There was no possibility of a yellow card because only the ref could have given a yellow on review of the incident but they are not sending them to review for this type of incident.

It states:

In the Premier League, the VAR is looking for an indisputable red card, so a referee won't be sent to the monitor just for another look. This isn't the case in some other competitions, so the best outcome may be missed, with players not receiving any disciplinary action. With a lower bar, Dean could send Taylor to the monitor for a possible red card even if he wasn't absolutely certain Romero should be sent off. If the referee disagrees it's a red, he could still issue a yellow -- though it's highly likely Taylor would have sent Romero off.”

The whole article is worth a read.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I’ll start with the first equaliser for Tottenham by Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg. This one was relatively straightforward. I can’t go back 44 seconds to look at Rodrigo Bentancur's potential foul on Kai Havertz. It is outside the attacking phase of play – the Tottenham player got a toe to the ball anyway – so that wasn’t a factor in whether Hojbjerg’s goal should stand. The question was whether Richarlison was interfering from an offside position. When Hojbjerg’s shot was struck, Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy had a view of the ball for me. His line of vision wasn’t clearly blocked, so it was onside and 1-1.

As for the second goal by Harry Kane, I asked referee Anthony Taylor to wait while I looked at the incident involving Tottenham’s Cristian Romero and Chelsea’s Marc Cucurella. I could not award a free-kick as VAR, but I could recommend to Taylor that he visit the referee review area to consider a possible red card. In the few seconds I had to study Romero pulling Cucurella’s hair, I didn't deem it a violent act.

I’ve since studied the footage, spoken to other referees and, upon reflection, I should have asked Taylor to visit his pitch-side monitor to take a look for himself. The referee on field always has the final say. It goes to show that no matter how experienced you are, and I’ve spent more than two decades as a Premier League official, you are always learning.

arnie_ni

It's a fecking start admitting it but that means nothing to Chelsea.

How did he deem that not violent conduct ffs? He yanked him to the ground by his hair, you can see his neck pull back! Madness

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Is this scrutiny something that is new or is Dean coming out by himself to state that he fecked up?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
It's quite the funny one that the PGMOL always refuses requests for greater transparency and post match referee interviews so the only time we ever hear from a ref is if they have a paid column in a tabloid. fecking joke.

tomaldinho1

It's a fecking start admitting it but that means nothing to Chelsea.

How did he deem that not violent conduct ffs? He yanked him to the ground by his hair, you can see his neck pull back! Madness
It's just unbelievable to the point I don't believe there's not something fishy going on. I'm not suggesting fixed games but more that VAR are deliberately creating these divisive moments to try and get it scrapped/give refs more power back - there are literally multiple instances of them ignoring the basics of footballing rules every season.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
The fact that he needs to review it again multiple times and speak to other referees tells you that he's either incompetent or more probable just toying with results without fear of repercussions. Keep in mind that this man will be in charge of VAR protocol from next season...

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Non Mail link:

Amazing people defending it. Work for PGMOL or similar? Frankly PGMOL should be getting a knock on the door. Football isn't meant to be like the WWE. If they want it to be admit it and stop allowing betting etc.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is this scrutiny something that is new or is Dean coming out by himself to state that he fecked up?
He’s a paid columnist now, so he’s coming out himself to say he fecked up. Pretty sure he’s also a retired on pitch referee, and a full time VAR ref now.

Anustart89

"A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

Tackling someone at knee height where the ball is nowhere to be seen? No, clearly not endangering the safety at all.