VAR and Refs | General Discussion | May 15: Premier League clubs to vote on proposal to scrap VAR from next season

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Have they changed the handball rule? A year or so ago I seem to remember any handball in the build-up of a goal being ruled out, regardless of how severe. Yesterday it looked like the ball slightly nudged Gabriel's elbow just before he scored, and VAR even had a look at a potential handball but the goal obviously stood. I'm in favour of these incredible minor handballs being allowed when not giving an advantage (as it was in this case), but it did make me wonder if I've missed some rule change.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Mendy got away with a mistake yesterday..., it was a goal, essentially.

Less convinced by the Havertz offside. If the vertical line on the defender is moved a pixel or two, he'd be on. Similar to Rashford one.

Ederson mistake goal must be disallowed due to unsporting conduct? Don't see anything else wrong with it.
What? He was damn near yanked down by Barnes. It was a clear foul and correctly ruled out.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What? He was damn near yanked down by Barnes. It was a clear foul and correctly ruled out.
Its nonsense, if Barnes is committing a foul, then logically it's a foul by Cucerella who's doing exactly the same thing in front. Plus probable fouls at every single corner!

Neither is a foul imo. It's not an obvious error either. Goal should stand in my view. That's just what referees allow at corners normally

No doubt they'll be many other incidents with holding at corners that are essentially the same this season that aren't given. Making the call yesterday nonsense.

Anustart89

Have they changed the handball rule? A year or so ago I seem to remember any handball in the build-up of a goal being ruled out, regardless of how severe. Yesterday it looked like the ball slightly nudged Gabriel's elbow just before he scored, and VAR even had a look at a potential handball but the goal obviously stood. I'm in favour of these incredible minor handballs being allowed when not giving an advantage (as it was in this case), but it did make me wonder if I've missed some rule change.
They have changed it so that accidental handball only applies to the scorer as of last season, and not the assister. Missed the elbow on Gabriel, if it did indeed touch his elbow before him scoring the goal then it should've been ruled out.

Anustart89

Its nonsense, if Barnes is committing a foul, then logically it's a foul by Cucerella who's doing exactly the same thing in front. Plus probable fouls at every single corner!

Neither is a foul imo. It's not an obvious error either. Goal should stand in my view. That's just what referees allow at corners normally

No doubt they'll be many other incidents with holding at corners that are essentially the same this season that aren't given. Making the call yesterday nonsense.
The referee gave the foul though, so for the goal to stand VAR has to prove that it's a clear and obvious error to give the foul. Which it wasn't. Therefore correct from VAR not to intervene. Had referee not thought it had been a foul it probably wouldn't have been disallowed either.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Will need to see it back to see what Cucurella was doing but Barnes was doing a lot more than the usual pushing and shoving. Bizarre to say it happens on every corner. He was yanking Mendy by the neck and pushing him down. That’s a foul all day long.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not sure why Nunes got away with the shirt pull in the first half.

Anustart89

Almost got the ball!
Wtf are those cnuts smoking? Like I said last week, reversing Trippier’s red card is going to lead to players taking their chances on tackles like this and one day somebody’s going to get their leg snapped in two and everyone will ask themselves “how can players think that it’s okay to hurt their opponents like this”. The simple answer is that because the referees allow them to do that without facing any consequences for it.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Looks a red card to me. Endangering the safety of an opponent. Not sure what Lee Mason is doing there.

Webb going to have his work cut out.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Almost got the ball!
Sh!te tackle.

They need the rugby union stance when looking at dangerous tackles.

Think it's a red card, check it ticks the boxes (and keep it simple, not vague), then see if any mitigating circumstances. No? Off.

But then, they need decent refs to implement the rules (yeah right) and a banning system that goes well past 3 games for worst offences. 6 and up.

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
I think the Schär tackle looks worse on a picture. Most of the force ended up on Neto's ankle. Could have been a red but can understand only a yellow too. Would love to hear why the shirt pull on Longstaff wasn't a penalty.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Absolutely no logic to that. Into 60% more added time. Shocking. Ref should have to explain this

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Five minutes of added time in a game that didn't even warrant that, but Liverpool still aren't winning yet so let's just play until they score in the 99th minute instead. :lol:

If the exact same game plays out at Old Trafford, the ref adds on 4 minutes and blows up at 93:50.

theatreofdreams777

90+X with X being until Liverpool score.

Klopp always cries about everything but they're without any doubt the team that benefitted most from the refereeing/VAR decisions.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Another 3 points gifted to the dippers.

Without a helping hand by the refs the dippers wouldn't have got 85+ points in any season.

diarm

The end of the game was a disgrace, there is no debate to be had there.

But Newcastle were shafted long before that.

90 + 5min

This was something you see in lower leagues in some non-football country. Really impressive to find those minutes.

It would be nice with some explaination.

MetoTTT

90+X with X being until Liverpool score.

Klopp always cries about everything but they're without any doubt the team that benefitted most from the refereeing/VAR decisions.
I can remember Liverpool fans moaning the same way during SAF's era.
Some suggested SAF infuenced the FA. Some even saw a pro United and anti Liverpool plot. Let's not fall to their level!

AFC NimbleThumb

Until referees have to come out & explain their decisions crap like this will continue to happen. The ref can add 15 minutes for all I care but don’t let him scarper down the tunnel immediately after doing so only to re-emerge at another game this weekend or be quietly demoted to the Championship for a game or two [btw the Championship deserves better].

Make them have to discuss the game as a player or manager would & you’d soon see an end to crap like that. Newcastle we’re under the cosh, the momentum was with the home team so adding on an indiscriminate amount of time only favoured one team.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

You'd think for that you give the attacker the advantage?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That's supposed to be the directive for this season.

Compare that to Rashford's goal last week.
So confusing, for what its worth I thought Rashford was onside, the camera angle from behind you see he is just behind the defender when he starts the run.

cyberman

I think it’s his shoulder offside not his foot

diarm

I think it’s his shoulder offside not his foot
I don't think it is, from the red line they have drawn from Gomez's knee. I certainly don't think you can conclude that it is from that angle, and if you can't conclude for certain, the benefit should be given to the attacker.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't think it is, from the red line they have drawn from Gomez's knee. I certainly don't think you can conclude that it is from that angle, and if you can't conclude for certain, the benefit should be given to the attacker.
The red line is clearly drawn from his shoulder. Which is clearly the furthest forward part of his body.

cyberman

Of course it is, his line is nowhere near his foot so had to be upper body. it’s the angle that makes it look dodgy and this angle is the exact reason why the technology was brought in

cyberman

I see your mistake. The red line isn’t Gomez, it’s the attacker since it’s an offside and the red line is ahead of the blue.

diarm

I see your mistake. The red line isn’t Gomez, it’s the attacker since it’s an offside and the red line is ahead of the blue.
But the red line is not drawn up as far Isak's shoulder. It stops at the knee and Isak's knee is quite clearly not ahead of Gomez.