VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

RedRocket9908

Textbook pen on Garnarcho. Udogie has both arms around him and drags him back. Was it even checked by VAR?
Probably but VAR is often scared to go against the on-field decision, there is no way the offside was checked on Spurs 2nd goal though as the game resumed far too quickly for that to have happened.

The problem with VAR isnt the system itself its how its being used, PGMOL need to get rid of this clear and obvious error nonsence and a stop the so the VAR official just applys the laws of the game to the scenario and if he feels the decision is wrong he advises the on-field ref to review it on the pitchside monitor thus making the on-field ref the only person who can change the original decision.

Last edited:

BarcaSpurs

Probably but VAR is often scared to go against the on-field decision, there is no way the offside was checked on Spurs 2nd goal though as the game resumed far too quickly for that to have happened.
What on earth offside are you talking about? I can't see anything even close to being offside.

Flying high

"He's got 2 arms around, that's a penalty all day. Easy one."

But not sometimes. Today's was as clear an occasion as you'd like to see where the ref should have been sent to the screen. It's much more of a foul than Hojlund on Rhodri. Or the Bruno tickle against Barca last year ffs. And plenty more.

Scrap VAR now. It's not helping, but it's massively hurting the game.

KjaAnd

"He's got 2 arms around, that's a penalty all day. Easy one."

But not sometimes. Today's was as clear an occasion as you'd like to see where the ref should have been sent to the screen. It's much more of a foul than Hojlund on Rhodri. Or the Bruno tickle against Barca last year ffs. And plenty more.

Scrap VAR now. It's not helping, but it's massively hurting the game.
It's insane, is it not?

And yes, I agree. VAR hasn't minimized the amount of errors (or the perceived amount of errors, anyway), but it's disrupting games and taking away the exaltation around goals. Scrap it.

GazTheLegend

Although our team has been pretty bad - and they have been bad - these endless decisions against us aren't helping Manchester United football club at all are they. We've been on the end of some absolutely -shocking- decisions. That Dalot double-dissent sending off, the City penalty, the handball vs spurs, the pull on Garnacho today, the pull on Hojlund at Arsenal are all just subjectively awful, awful calls. Like fair enough now once or twice we've gotten away with them, but looking back that Onana call wasn't anywhere near as flagrant as some of the ones we've been done for.

Dansk

Although our team has been pretty bad - and they have been bad - these endless decisions against us aren't helping Manchester United football club at all are they. We've been on the end of some absolutely -shocking- decisions. That Dalot double-dissent sending off, the City penalty, the handball vs spurs, the pull on Garnacho today, the pull on Hojlund at Arsenal are all just subjectively awful, awful calls. Like fair enough now once or twice we've gotten away with them, but looking back that Onana call wasn't anywhere near as flagrant as some of the ones we've been done for.
I've never seen anything like it. Very nearly every game this season, at least one of four things happen, and often more than one:

- Denied an utter stonewall penalty that's practically always given for other teams
- Opponents are wrongly awarded a penalty that's never given against other teams
- An opponent should have been sent off for an obvious red card offense, but wasn't
- A United player gets sent off for something that nobody else ever gets sent off for

It's legitimately almost every game. Meanwhile, the reverse barely ever happens. We're not given these decisions in our favour anywhere remotely close to as often as they're given against us. It's such a consistent trend, and in many cases, they're decisions that anyone who isn't utterly insane or deluded by ABU hatred can see are wrong.

It's basically impossible to get sent off against United anymore, and it feels like players have realized this and are using it to their advantage. In the last few years, we've been down a man in more than twice as many games as the opposite. In at least half the cases, our red cards were for things other teams do every week and never get sent off for. Every single week without exception, we see one or more incidents for which a United player has been sent off in recent times but another team's player isn't. Every week, time and time again. There was more than one example of that just today.

Last year I saw a statistic that showed we had the most VAR decisions against us in all of Europe, the worst ratio of red cards against vs. for in England, the least penalties awarded of all teams that had qualified for the CL the previous season, and several other such statistics detailing how utterly swindled we've been for a very long time. And these aren't ambiguous 50/50 decisions, most of the time. They're stonewallers and cards that are given 99% of the time, just never in our favour, or red cards and penalties against us that are only ever given when it's against us. It's getting ridiculous at this point, and if it was all down to coincidence, it's reaching lottery-winning levels of statistical improbability.

Last edited:

LDUred

It's strange how Neville was so quick to say it wasn't a pen and then didn't backtrack when the slow motion replays came up.

GazTheLegend

Last year I saw a statistic that showed we had the most VAR decisions against us in all of Europe, the worst ratio of red cards against vs. for in England, the least penalties awarded of all teams that had qualified for the CL the previous season, and several other such statistics detailing how utterly swindled we've been for a very long time. And these aren't ambiguous 50/50 decisions, most of the time. They're stonewallers and cards that are given 99% of the time, just never in our favour, or red cards and penalties against us that are only ever given when it's against us. It's getting ridiculous at this point, and if it was all down to coincidence, it's reaching lottery-winning levels of statistical improbability.
I'd be interested in seeing that for myself. I believe it - in the champions league we gave a penalty or a red card away in pretty much every single match didn't we. It's been -weird-. Maybe it's a backlash to the Bruno-penalty season, but players just elbow, pull down and foul our players with impunity, complain to the referees etc while our players and manager have played and spoken like they're walking on eggshells all the time.

RedRocket9908

Ref watch

City v Newcastle late offside that led to Edersons injury

Malo Gusto potential red against Fulham

Lutons controversial equalizer

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
“controversy in the game at st. james’ park, where newcastle players declared a jihad against all other premier league teams, before starting to chop hands off. the referee only deemed it worth of a yellow. what do you think, dermot?”

“well i have to agree with the ref. they used sharp knives, which would have severed the nerve endings very cleanly, minimising the amount of pain felt by the opposition players. it’s a yellow and no more.”

Pughnichi

It’s nonsense this. It shouldn’t be called refWatch but rather JustifyWatch

if Dermot is watching the Gusto one and it’s Casemiro getting sent for a red, he’s in full support of the decision claiming it’s high dangerous challenge

get this shit off the tele.

Pughnichi

“controversy in the game at st. james’ park, where newcastle players declared a jihad against all other premier league teams, before starting to chop hands off. the referee only deemed it worth of a yellow. what do you think, dermot?”

“well i have to agree with the ref. they used sharp knives, which would have severed the nerve endings very cleanly, minimising the amount of pain felt by the opposition players. it’s a yellow and no more.”
Haha…brilliant.

It’s car crash tv this show. We’re now paying ex refs mass amounts of money to be a pundit…a bias pundit that supports his fellow ref at every opportunity.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I didn't think it was a pen in the ground (I thought he just had his hands on his hips) - but looking back at it after, you can see he's actually grabbing him, which makes it a pen - miles more so then whatever Rodri got a pen for against us anyway.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I've seen it thousands of times. Never given as a pen and definitely not when the player falls like he was taken out by a sniper
I mean this is nonsense - you haven't seen it a thousand times "never given as a penalty", there's at least 2 instances against us very recently where it was given for even softer challenges. Say you don't think it's a pen - you're wrong, but that's fine - but saying "never a penalty" is genuinely nonsense.

It was, in fact, a pretty clear cut penalty. It wasn't just arms on him - he was being actively yanked back as he was trying to play the ball. How he goes down is absolutely irrelevent, particularly in the age of VAR.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I've never seen anything like it. Very nearly every game this season, at least one of four things happen, and often more than one:

- Denied an utter stonewall penalty that's practically always given for other teams
- Opponents are wrongly awarded a penalty that's never given against other teams
- An opponent should have been sent off for an obvious red card offense, but wasn't
- A United player gets sent off for something that nobody else ever gets sent off for

It's legitimately almost every game. Meanwhile, the reverse barely ever happens. We're not given these decisions in our favour anywhere remotely close to as often as they're given against us. It's such a consistent trend, and in many cases, they're decisions that anyone who isn't utterly insane or deluded by ABU hatred can see are wrong.

It's basically impossible to get sent off against United anymore, and it feels like players have realized this and are using it to their advantage. In the last few years, we've been down a man in more than twice as many games as the opposite. In at least half the cases, our red cards were for things other teams do every week and never get sent off for. Every single week without exception, we see one or more incidents for which a United player has been sent off in recent times but another team's player isn't. Every week, time and time again. There was more than one example of that just today.

I think what compounds things is that you now have two sets of eyes that CAN influence decisions. How that makes it worse is that with unconscious bias we actually become even more at risk. You get var stepping in for things they just don’t step in for (Casemiro red x2, Rhodri pen, blocking keepers view from offside position, ball not proven to be out of play for a goal, var overriding onfield decision, Subjective offside etc) then not stopping in when they should in our cases (Arsenal pen, Arsenal second goal, multiple pens, blocking keepers view from offside etc)

So now we are getting screwed by refs and screwed doubly by var.

Oranges038

Ref watch

City v Newcastle late offside that led to Edersons injury

Malo Gusto potential red against Fulham

Lutons controversial equalizer

It's not a clear offside. There were 3 of them offside, how is that not clear?

Malo Gusto "slipped", no he lunged.

I might have known he wouldnt think Garnacho should have had a penalty

He's such a tool.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I mean this is nonsense - you haven't seen it a thousand times "never given as a penalty", there's at least 2 instances against us very recently where it was given for even softer challenges. Say you don't think it's a pen - you're wrong, but that's fine - but saying "never a penalty" is genuinely nonsense.

It was, in fact, a pretty clear cut penalty. It wasn't just arms on him - he was being actively yanked back as he was trying to play the ball. How he goes down is absolutely irrelevent, particularly in the age of VAR.
I never realized I needed to be this literal, switch thousands with "hundreds". I find it funny how you'd assume what I have or haven't watched.
I've been sayin I don't think it's a pen, wtf else should I add ? Pen wasn't given in this game so what makes me exactly wrong ? Former players don't think it's a pen. It's a matter of opinion, I won't say you're wrong, just that I don't agree with you

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I never realized I needed to be this literal, switch thousands with "hundreds". I find it funny how you'd assume what I have or haven't watched.
I've been sayin I don't think it's a pen, wtf else should I add ? Pen wasn't given in this game so what makes me exactly wrong ? Former players don't think it's a pen. It's a matter of opinion, I won't say you're wrong, just that I don't agree with you
You were incredibly hyperbolic in your initial assessment, in a way that made little sense considering recent events.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Like I said, I think I mistook the caf for a court room where every commas matter
Can I ask a question….

because for me without VAR I don’t see that being given…but as we have VAR who can see that there is more than just a hand on a player or a slight tug….he’s literally restraining him and then pulls him back….Do you not think with VAR that absolutely should be given?

kouroux

Can I ask a question….

because for me without VAR I don’t see that being given…but as we have VAR who can see that there is more than just a hand on a player or a slight tug….he’s literally restraining him and then pulls him back….Do you not think with VAR that absolutely should be given?
I would still say no for me tbh but I can understand what you're inferring. It's hard to imagine what a true right VAR would be as we have been too used to crazy inconsistencies.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So if you're trying to run to a ball and I physically hold you from behind and keep you from running to it, you don't think that's a foul??

kouroux

So if you're trying to run to a ball and I physically hold you from behind and keep you from running to it, you don't think that's a foul??
Like I have been saying, a foul anywhere on the pitch outside the penalty box doesn't automatically equals a pen if the same foul is committed inside the box.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Like I have been saying, a foul anywhere on the pitch outside the penalty box doesn't automatically equals a pen if the same foul is committed inside the box.
I understand what you're getting at, and unfortunately that is often true, however, it is also 100000% wrong. A foul is a foul regardless of where it is. And the foul on Garnacho should have been given regardless of where it happened. That was a stonewall penalty. Had he dropped on his first attempt to run I'd say he was looking for it. But the video clearly shows he is literally held in place and doesn't fall until his 2nd attempt to get away...