VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
It wasnt a terrible decision the VAR ref did everything right, it was just that he thought the on-field decision was goal so said check complete when the on-field decision was actually offside so he he should have said goal instead.
That's a bizarre take, surely trying a wind up? actually funny though. Fact the two VAR guys missed the on field offside decision is a huge mistake, everyone looking at the game could see that, the camera cut to it and showed Diaz stopping his celebrations. Missing that was ok? Not a huge failure?

RedRocket9908

You're arguing semantics here.

As an overall piece of officiating, it might be the single worst decision since VAR was introduced.
How? The decision VAR made was correct, the only thing that was wrong was that the VAR official said check complete (because he thought the onfield decision was goal) instead of decision goal

RedRocket9908

That's a bizarre take, surely trying a wind up? actually funny though. Fact the two VAR guys missed the on field offside decision is a huge mistake, everyone looking at the game could see that, the camera cut to it and showed Diaz stopping his celebrations. Missing that was ok? Not a huge failure?
I meant they did everything correct with regards to the way they checked the goal.

MegadrivePerson

How? The decision VAR made was correct, the only thing that was wrong was that the VAR official said check complete (because he thought the onfield decision was goal) instead of decision goal
The decision VAR made wasn't correct! If it was correct they would have overturned the offside!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I genuinely believe Garnacho was onside and Hojlund should have had a penalty in the Arsenal game, but to claim the wrong offside call made against Liverpool isn't a VAR malfunction is strange to say the least.

RedRocket9908

The decision VAR made wasn't correct! If it was correct they would have overturned the offside!
The decision VAR made was correct, the checked the goal and correctly determined it was onside.

They didnt overturn the on-field decision because they thought the on-field decision was goal.

MegadrivePerson

The decision VAR made was correct, the checked the goal and correctly determined it was onside.

They didnt overturn the on-field decision because they thought the on-field decision was goal.
So they incorrectly responded to the on field decision then?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Because you're focusing only on the VAR, which is why I specificied "overall".

The on-field decision was incorrectly "offside" and VAR confirmed that to be correct.

VAR can't have been correct when, by your own acknowledgement, they didn't actually know what they were checking. On its own, that is staggering incompetence.

The fact that neither VAR or the on-field official confirmed what was being checked and what the actual decision was just adds to the incompetence.

This is such a strange hill to die on.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Exhibit #26484929174 of why VAR is shite. One of the most clear penalty decisions you’ll see, yet we still had to wait 2 minutes with everyone stood around for VAR to confirm it.

Swedish_Plumber

Exhibit #26484929174 of why VAR is shite. One of the most clear penalty decisions you’ll see, yet we still had to wait 2 minutes with everyone stood around for VAR to confirm it.
I think they were checking offside rather than whether it was a penalty. Still shite though

Anustart89

Well, looks like they've found a loophole in the handball law, just miss a header and then grab the ball when it's on the ground to prevent a player from going through on a 1v1 :lol:

Swedish_Plumber

Well, looks like they've found a loophole in the handball law, just miss a header and then grab the ball when it's on the ground to prevent a player from going through on a 1v1 :lol:
Honestly they give the harsh ones where there’s no danger and completely accidental and don’t give the ones where the defenders are desperately trying to make up for mistakes. Bizarre.

Least Everton gifted us another :lol:

Anustart89

Honestly they give the harsh ones where there’s no danger and completely accidental and don’t give the ones where the defenders are desperately trying to make up for mistakes. Bizarre.

Least Everton gifted us another :lol:
Reminds me of the time Cedric crawled on all fours and swooped the ball away with his arm from the penalty area and VAR thought that was a completely natural movement.

arnie_ni

This silly law that you can't handle it if youre breaking your fall

Anustart89

This silly law that you can't handle it if youre breaking your fall
Well, breaking your fall is one thing but completely mistiming a diving header that ends up in you preventing a goalscoring opportunity by hugging the ball with both hands should surely be a foul somehow, otherwise players can just dive forwards in the penalty area and if they block the ball with their hands as they fall they can claim they're just breaking their fall.

Anustart89

I always forget about this one. Absolutely ridiculous :lol:
PGMOL: It is a natural movement for a crab and from the video evidence we couldn't say that it was clear and obvious that Cedric is not in fact a crab, therefore it wasn't enough to overturn the on-field call.

arnie_ni

Well, breaking your fall is one thing but completely mistiming a diving header that ends up in you preventing a goalscoring opportunity by hugging the ball with both hands should surely be a foul somehow, otherwise players can just dive forwards in the penalty area and if they block the ball with their hands as they fall they can claim they're just breaking their fall.
That's what I meant though. The rule is legitimate if you're breaking your fall but the refs just blanket it to cover anytime anyone is on the ground.

Eg the one against arsenal a few years ago :lol:

Edit I see someone has posted the video

Edit 2 that fecking stupid rule right there

Anustart89

That's what I meant though. The rule is legitimate if you're breaking your fall but the refs just blanket it to cover anytime anyone is on the ground.

Eg the one against arsenal a few years ago :lol:
Yeah I agree with that.

Swedish_Plumber

PGMOL: It is a natural movement for a crab and from the video evidence we couldn't say that it was clear and obvious that Cedric is not in fact a crab, therefore it wasn't enough to overturn the on-field call.
There’s one there. The excuse from VAR is he needs his arms to support the slide. Absolutely no chance :lol:

Anustart89

Another situation. His fall is already broken. Can you just keep your arm extended behind you for the duration of the slide and block balls?

CoopersDream

Don't know how the rule is written in this regard. I don't think the first should be a penalty but the second one seems ridiculous not to be a penalty.

Swedish_Plumber

Im actually quite surprised that we’ve seen 2 penalties given to us by the referee quickly. Usually they refuse the whistle and let VAR deliberate for 5 mins.

LDUred

If we got away with that against Liverpool Klopp would be barking about it until the end of time.

Arsenal, City, Liverpool all get penalties there.

arnie_ni

You can be offside when your feet are on the halfway line and you're leaning over it, then?

Seems ridiculous
They use the furthest point forward so it makes sense based on the rules but I've been saying for ages in here i think it's ridiculous they don't just use feet only

Withnail

They use the furthest point forward so it makes sense based on the rules but I've been saying for ages in here i think it's ridiculous they don't just use feet only
Yeah I think it should be the feet as well. One player leaning further forward or just being a bigger man than another shouldn't really be the determining factor in an offside decision.

arnie_ni

Yeah I think it should be the feet as well. One player leaning further forward or just being a bigger man than another shouldn't really be the determining factor in an offside decision.
Definitely. Would make the assistants life easier as well

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So many issues could easily be fixed if they just got a panel of football fans with several pints of beer and packets of crisps making up the rules instead of IFAB

VAR would work fine then too

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
If we got away with that against Liverpool Klopp would be barking about it until the end of time.

Arsenal, City, Liverpool all get penalties there.
Odegard giggles and runs away into the horizon.