Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

Decent night for him - on their goal I feel his only realistic option is to foul Ronny, which would have likely been a red. That said, 1 in every 10 of those is on target so can't fault him too much.

A top RB & CB are needed, think Shaw, Lindeloff is ok on the left for now

A-man

Good game! Yes he would make better passes from the right side but now he has 4-5 really good performances in a row on the left side. Don’t jinx it.

The Bonucci pass and run& volley from Ronaldo was very good, difficult to defend in the box. Maybe midfield could put more pressure before the pass and Victor push Ronaldo a little, but then risk for penalty and/or red card and certainly no 3 points today.

He was excellent aside from a few shaky minutes after the goal, which he can't really be blamed for. Sometimes you have to hold your hands up. The movement, the timing, the strike, all absolutely world class and practically impossible to defend against.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm usually one to criticise harshly when we concede but that was a really hard goal to defend against, the ball over the top was sublime and the finish even better. Other than that I think he did well again, maybe he's finally settling, maybe he's got a bit of confidence, whatever it is I hope he keeps it up.

James Peril

He was excellent aside from a few shaky minutes after the goal, which he can't really be blamed for. Sometimes you have to hold your hands up. The movement, the timing, the strike, all absolutely world class and practically impossible to defend against.
Not really true at all. His anticipation is off and his movement is amateurish in what follows. The goal was pure greatness as it happened, but a top defender anticipates the ball, takes out space in behind and heads that one out for a corner. To put it like this; if that same situation happens with Chiellini, it’s not even a chance.

Lindelöf also lost the ball in a very dangerous posistion after the interval, could have been a very big chance but we got lucky.

We have kept like 3 clean sheets in the last 16, which is abysmal by our standards, and Lindelöf is basically the only new part of the block that kept a record amount of clean sheets last season. Not good enough for a club with ambitions.

Not really true at all. His anticipation is off and his movement is amateurish in what follows. The goal was pure greatness as it happened, but a top defender anticipates the ball, takes out space in behind and heads that one out for a corner. To put it like this; if that same situation happens with Chiellini, it’s not even a chance.

Lindelöf also lost the ball in a very dangerous posistion after the interval, could have been a very big chance but we got lucky.
:lol:

Ronaldo did a few things that were absolutely top drawer.

- he positioned himself behind Lindelof, so he couldn't see the ball and the man at the same time.
- he timed his run so we had to keep in line, but he wasn't offside.
- he got quickly in front of Lindelof so he couldn't be safely tackled.
- the finish.

If Lindelof anticipates it and drops early Ronaldo goes to the side and is onside in acres of space. He is strong and fast enough that Lindelof can do nothing about his run without giving away a penalty.

Bwuk

Goal was world class, find it hard to blame Lindelof for that.

Our best defender tonight.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I remember around minute 32 he was pressed and pushed into midfield very swiftly and nicely with the ball, which surprised me and had me screaming 'yes!'. He was finally showing that bit of composure under pressure which is required at the top level. Maybe there's a player there somehwere after all.

A-man

I am not so sure about that. If we compare with Chiellini, one of the best CB in the world, we should look at last seasons CL, when Real visited Juve and Ronaldo scored two goals and created tons of chances, most of them in the center. Also Marcelos goal came in the center, assisted by Ronaldo.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He'd look world class if he had a leader besides him

shabz

Performance levels have been great recently, confidence is key. Just need to get him an experienced partner who can organise the line and it will be really exciting to watch his development.

Sauldogba

I thought he played well tonight but its quite worrying that as a cb he's so error prone.
Hes definitely got a mistake in him.Can anyone else confirm this but hasnt his ill judgement cost us a goal in each of our last 4 games?

Halftrack

He'd look world class if he had a leader besides him
He looked very good for Sweden during the WC, and I think a lot of that (aside from Sweden's defensive tactics) was down to having a calm and experienced player like Granqvist next to him, so this checks out.

Devil may care

Another solid perofrmance, nothing he could do about Ronaldo's goal, the movement and finish were world class from one of the greatest forwards of all time.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Shades of when we wrote Rojo off and he went on beast mode for half a sesson. Let's hope Lindelof maintains this.

cheeky_backheel

Cant fault anyone for that goal (except the football gods) - the pass, the run and the finish were all top notch.

That goal was a clear example of why they brought Bonucci back.

youmeletsfly

We have kept like 3 clean sheets in the last 16, which is abysmal by our standards, and Lindelöf is basically the only new part of the block that kept a record amount of clean sheets last season. Not good enough for a club with ambitions.
I do not think is right to expect that level of anticipation from a 23 year old that barely played last season, in an ucl game vs Juventus. Added to that you are comparing him with the mfecking standard of defending, Chiellini.

In such a situation is not exactly about anticipating the ball, as he was quite okay on that and started running a split second after cr7 did, it is more about the brain conflict of a young defender: Do I take a step back and keep the CF on side or do I step out and try to keep him offside.

If he would've been 26-28, yeah, I would give you the argument, but cut him some slack, he had Ronny almost for the entire game. That is your 23 year old defender playing against, most likely, the best goalscorer to ever play the game, you are expecting too much.

cheeky_backheel

Have to disagree on the goal.

The only ways you defend that goal is
- you pull off the offside trap
- the other defender was deeper and fast enough to come across
- or its a defender with enough acceleration to recover if CR7 tried to bring the ball down

CR7 was already goal side and trajectory of the ball basically took out Lindelof. The drop of the ball was very sharp and Bonucci is the only CB I have seen that could play such a ball. Once CR7 took it first time, there was no room to recover.

But then the fact that you think Lindelof, who has arguably been our best defender in recent weeks is the problem say a lot.

A-man

Cant fault anyone for that goal (except the football gods) - the pass, the run and the finish were all top notch.

That goal was a clear example of why they brought Bonucci back.
Could have put some pressure on Bonucci, he had twelwe minutes to pick his pass.

cheeky_backheel

Could have put some pressure on Bonucci, he had twelwe minutes to pick his pass.
The players were denying the ball to the deep midfield players (think bentacur and Matuidi). Bonucci stepped into midfield, played the 1-2 with Dybala and pinged the pass. Trying to close in on Bonucci would have left more spaces in the midfield.

It was just a great that most CBs would have hit into the clutches of the GK. Like I said that is why they have him back and were willing to trade caldara for him

sam147

Lindelof and Bailly dont seem to be a complementary fit. Both are not that great in the air. Bailly is a much better tackler, far more aggressive but his positioning is not as good as Lindelof and he can be prone to blunders. Lindelof looks more calm on the ball but Bailly is better on the ball imo. Need an actual top CB next to either one of them. Btw Lindelof could do nothing about that goal. Its easy for individuals to talk but if Lindelof dropped back then Ronaldo would be free on the side. Ronaldo made the perfect run and hit it first time. If anything DDG could've come out early or the forwards could've pressed better.

Ibi Dreams

But now you're putting the fault on the midfield who should have pressed Bonucci. Lindelof didn't do a lot wrong, he read the pass and tracked it but was unfortunate to be caught out by literally one of the best players of all time with an insanely good finish that you would never expect to happen. He could have read it faster, but in almost every case I think what he did would have been enough.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I personally thought Lindelof should have been smarter and bodychecked Ronaldos run, but I guess he fancied himself in a race.

Ronnie is still pretty quick over 10 yards and that pass was absolutely unstoppable.

Unfortunately you’ve got to say it’s just a world class goal.

SAFMUTD

Besides the goal, in which I think he should had done a whole lot better, he had a good game. Im still not convinced though, he needs to get more physical. Make his man feel his presence, he is often to cold. Like Jose said, "you cant be a good boy as a defender", you have to be ruthless. Still he is improving and I hope he keeps progressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.