Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

No need to shit on Lindelof mate. He had a great game.
Answer the question. You're the one who claimed one of our CBs looked so much better than the other. And now you claimed this one was the commanding leader at the back.

But Jones contributed at least double of everything from aerials won, to tackles, to interceptions, to clearances. Double or more than double everything Lindelof did.

So explain how the one who didnt do much stuff defensively was a "commanding leader at the back" ?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
However his United career pans out, today you could see exactly why we bought him. The talent is there.

Based Adnan

Was coming into his own as LCB but looked a different player playing on the right. Should have had an assist as well. Really good.

Classical Mechanic

:lol:

I agree with @Ekeke Jones was much better but won’t get any love because of who he is and, in fairness, Lindelof made a great run and pass which gets people giddy. He struggled with the Cardiff sub though.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Decent, but not sure he had a great game. His pace is an issue that we'll have to work around.

Nice distribution though.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
One of Lindelöf's best performances last season was in the 4-2 win away at Watford, where he also played at RCB albeit in a back 5. Plays with way more expression in that position.

Ekeke

:lol:

I agree with @Ekeke Jones was much better but won’t get any love because of who he is and, in fairness, Lindelof made a great run and pass which gets people giddy. He struggled with the Cardiff sub though.
I think both were good and Lindelof was a bit better on the ball with Jones being better defensively. I just didnt like someone making out that Lindelof was the leader at the back when he didnt do much defensively. He was more involved going forward

Classical Mechanic

I think both were good and Lindelof was a bit better on the ball with Jones being better defensively. I just didnt like someone making out that Lindelof was the leader at the back when he didnt do much defensively. He was more involved going forward
Lindelof was very good I agree. The run and pass was fantastic.

A-man

One of Lindelöf's best performances last season was in the 4-2 win away at Watford, where he also played at RCB albeit in a back 5. Plays with way more expression in that position.
That position brings out more of his offensive qualities, however I think all his best defensive performances have been on as LCB.

Classical Mechanic

What I noticed too is that we were playing a higher line offside trap. Once when the Cardiff sub got a run on Lindelof it was Jones’s fault for playing him onside. The next time when they got the line right Lindelof was applauding his mates for it. On the flip side, his lack of pace in a high line could be an issue.

King.of.Red

Strength is clearly his weakness, so hopefully he can improve it. A bit struggle against Zohora today. Still very good performance. He looked more confident to bring the ball forward

Litch

I hear people about his weaknesses but it's not like he's being worked or out sprinted by anyone that's not doing the same to anyone else too. The main issue for me is his lack of dominance in the air so you have to play him with someone who can...

The Real Treble 99

Fantastic performance today. He’s really grown in the team & I loved the fact he was going forward. Well played son keep it up.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Imperial performance today. Man of the match. Much more composed and confident playing on the front foot instead. A bit more physicality and he would be rock solid. Those runs were especially :drool:

dutchred

Does he remind people of Ronnie Johnson? Ronnie played in defense but subbed a few time times for Roy as defensive midfielder. i feel that he could do a similar job for us, subbing for Matic when necessary

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's good on the ball and had a decent game. His problem will always be a lack of pace and physicality in general. Zahore for Cardiff showed that a player with pace will give him problems.

Captain Paris

When he carried the ball forward the first time, I was surprised and he did it again and again and I was like :"Who the fook is that guy?" (Conor McGregor's voice)

If you want proof that the problem came from the tactics before, look no further than Lindelof today.

OldPop

He has been stable most of the season and made another good effort today. Nice to see his offensive qualities, I like to see more of that. Interesting to observe the other players, both opposing and co-players, they look totally surprised when he goes ahead and it was really a shame that Rash did not succeed in getting the ball in after his nice pass.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Really good run from him. It's very nice to see our players run into big spaces when they arrive. That was quite a big space though, the most impressive thing was his pass to Rashford. Shame Rashford didn't think of the cutback, although you can't really blame him as he was playing as a striker.

Red Stone

It's pretty obvious watching that clip that Cardiff hadn't even considered the possibility of one of our centre backs crossing the halfway line. Their entire team goes AWOL as soon as he gets past the first man. That being said, you can see his talent in how he carries and plays the ball there. I can't remember the last time I saw one of our centre backs actually play football to that level. Jones used to do some marauding runs for SAF, but even back then he looked more like a troll chasing a wild boar than a footballer.

Also great to see him and Rashford get so frustrated with it not ending in a goal even when the game is dead at 4-1. Attack attack attack!

Bwuk

It's pretty obvious watching that clip that Cardiff hadn't even considered the possibility of one of our centre backs crossing the halfway line. Their entire team goes AWOL as soon as he gets past the first man. That being said, you can see his talent in how he carries and plays the ball there. I can't remember the last time I saw one of our centre backs actually play football to that level. Jones used to do some marauding runs for SAF, but even back then he looked more like a troll chasing a wild boar than a footballer.

Also great to see him and Rashford get so frustrated with it not ending in a goal even when the game is dead at 4-1. Attack attack attack!
Exactly, and that’s why people who downplay the ability to play from the back are clowns.

If Smalling for example has the ball, teams can drop off as they know he can’t hurt them, it’ll be a sidewards pass or a hoof. You need players who can play between the lines.

Against sh*te teams like Cardiff our CB should and will have a lot of the ball. They need to be able to use it.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Exactly, and that’s why people who downplay the ability to play from the back are clowns.
I downplay the ability to play out from the back when a defender that do play out concede more goals than the defenders that don't, do you think I'm a clown?

Bwuk

I downplay the ability to play out from the back when a defender that do play out concede more goals than the defenders that don't, do you think I'm a clown?
You’ve answered your own question. If you can’t play out from the back you shouldn’t be at a top club in modern football.

Makes it far too easy for teams to drop off in banks of 4 or 5. If your a midfielder and you see Smalling on the ball - let him have it. He can’t hurt you. Lindelof can play between the lines. It’s something we’ve missed massively since Blind left.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He’s a player that does better when we set up aggressively. Ask him to push forward with the ball or get on the attackers first touch and he does very well. Ask him to sit deeper and he can get exposed.

He’s still getting routinely questioned, but as far as I’m concerned he is our best CB.

Bwuk

He’s a player that does better when we set up aggressively. Ask him to push forward with the ball or get on the attackers first touch and he does very well. Ask him to sit deeper and he can get exposed.

He’s still getting routinely questioned, but as far as I’m concerned he is our best CB.
We are Manchester United. We shouldn’t be sitting deep and shitting ourselves. Lindelof has shown he can sit deep with Sweden anyway.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You’ve answered your own question. If you can’t play out from the back you shouldn’t be at a top club in modern football.

Makes it far too easy for teams to drop off in banks of 4 or 5. If your a midfielder and you see Smalling on the ball - let him have it. He can’t hurt you. Lindelof can play between the lines. It’s something we’ve missed massively since Blind left.
Right. I think a player of Smalling's level can easily pass a ball between the lines if there is movement up front and risk is encouraged, so that is not the issue here. I don't know how you can call anyone a clown for thinking defenders should be good at defending before passing though. It sort of says whats important in the name "defenders". Maybe we should instead call it "centre pass it out from the backers"

Red_toad

He's good on the ball and had a decent game. His problem will always be a lack of pace and physicality in general. Zahore for Cardiff showed that a player with pace will give him problems.
Yes he's always going to have the same limitations and it's things that can't be coached. Going forward a good squad option, but if we wish to challenge, needs an upgrade.
But hats off to him very good against Cardiff.

Status
Not open for further replies.