Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trizy

This is exactly why I have said I'm still nervous of him. Even while he was in his class form (for at least 2.5 months) which I have more than given him great credit for, he just looks like he has a bottler or two performances in him. He just doesn't fill me with confidence.

What was that heading about? He lost out of Lacazetta at least 3-4 times in the air from a standing spot. If a striker makes a better run on a crossed ball and finishes you'd say fair enough, the defender should have done better but to lose out to someone 7-8inches smaller than you from a standing spot it outrageous for a CB.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I think teams will figure out that puting someone physical or quick on him and they'll get chances from it. Smalling switched to left Cb mid game as Lindelof was getting handled physically by the two strikers. Putting him in the middle left him more of the sweeping role he is better at.

Just to weak in physical duels especially with balls in the air.

jesperjaap

For me he isnt as poor as todays game and also not as good as people seem to think from his last few performances. Fact remains though, since Rio/Vidic retired, Smalling has been our best defender and that really needs to be addressed. Thought Bailly was going to be really good, but not sure his fantastic athleticism will develop in other areas that let hi down. Lindelof is an average defender for me that has been doing well, there isnt anything he does fantastically, we stilll seem to have six squad centre backs. The fact Jones got a new contract worries me. I am with Gary Nevilles recent comment, we need to rebuild the back four, two centre backs, a right back, Baird called up and and a clear out would be ideal throughout the back four

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm gonna give this lad a break. I've criticized him in the past but he's been consistent and maybe could do with a rest.

Prodigy24

Disappointing today. Made the midget Lacazette look like a 6'5 powerhouse with the way he lost his aerial battles with him.

Hope that was just a one off.

A-man

Poor match today but so many are over reacting. Been one of Uniteds best players this season and has one poor game (still did not have anything to do with any of the goals conceded) and people doubt he’s a good player.

He has faced physical players before with no problem. For me his problem today was his timing, it was not really there. There was one aerial duel which I think he won, but didn’t know where the ball went. And one aerial against Aubayemang which he also won be Auba still got the ball. And then the ball that went over his head. All three looked like poor timing to me.

Also a bit curious about his stats today. Says he won 7 aerials and lost zero, compared to Smalling who won their 3. Felt the other way around, but I guess the stats are correct?

Last edited:

Timo.utd

Wasn't a calamity today, was having a very good run of games just had a shaky game today, probably was tired but you can't say he had lacazette under control at times looked poor but still rated victor high, just remember what everybody was saying after Psg match.

Raven

Lindelof seems like a moody player who's displays tend to match the teams overall confidence and form . He's only really impressed when the goings been good. Not taking anything away from him as he's improved massively, but im yet to see him perform well or with the same confidence when the team is struggling in other areas on the pitch. PSG was similar.
What an absolute leap. He was pretty much excellent against PSG in both legs and the same with Juve.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Alderweireld is a must for £25m - automatically becomes the best defender, but can also teach the like of Lindelof a lot.

He’s decent, but nothing special and actually reminds me a lot of Jonny Evans.

Raven

I think teams will figure out that puting someone physical or quick on him and they'll get chances from it. Smalling switched to left Cb mid game as Lindelof was getting handled physically by the two strikers. Putting him in the middle left him more of the sweeping role he is better at.

Just to weak in physical duels especially with balls in the air.
For me he isnt as poor as todays game and also not as good as people seem to think from his last few performances. Fact remains though, since Rio/Vidic retired, Smalling has been our best defender and that really needs to be addressed. Thought Bailly was going to be really good, but not sure his fantastic athleticism will develop in other areas that let hi down. Lindelof is an average defender for me that has been doing well, there isnt anything he does fantastically, we stilll seem to have six squad centre backs. The fact Jones got a new contract worries me. I am with Gary Nevilles recent comment, we need to rebuild the back four, two centre backs, a right back, Baird called up and and a clear out would be ideal throughout the back four
You two are embarrassing yourselves.

Bobski

Pool match today but so many are over reacting. Been one of Uniteds best players this season and has one poor game (still did not have anything to do with any of the goals conceded) and people doubt he’s a good player.

He has faced physical players before with no problem. For me his problem today was his timing, it was not really there. There was one aerial duel which I think he won, but didn’t know where the ball went. And one aerial against Aubayemang which he also won be Auba still got the ball. And then the ball that went over his head. All three looked like poor timing to me.

Also a bit curious about his stats today. Says he won 7 aerials and lost zero, compared to Smalling who won their 3. Felt the other way around, but I guess the stats are correct?
One of the reasons he won more is, perversely, because he looked vulnerable and Arsenal targeted him. Not going to knock the ball to a striker up against Smalling in the air. Stats can only tell you so much.

He has been much better aerially recently but the swirling wind brought out an indecisiveness in him.

AshRK

The whole backline bar shaw looked nervous. Lindelof is young and still learning and thats why I would not be harsh on his performance today. And this is where I question smalling, 200th PL appearance and yet very little leadership quality. I would prefer to gove lindelof another full season and let him improve than have smalling getting chance after chance. If anyone needs replacing that is smalling/jones and not lindelof or even bailly.

Loublaze

ATLien
What an absolute leap. He was pretty much excellent against PSG in both legs and the same with Juve.
He wasn't excellent in the first leg. Both him and Bailly weren't at fault for any of the goals but neither were commanding. Smalling should've started alongside him

Canagel

For a supposed ball-playing defender, he really do adore a 5 yards sideways pass.
He takes too long to get it out of his feet. I'd say shaw is our best defender passing out from the back.

SteveW

Really poor today. So weak and indecisive. It reminded me of pretty much every game he played last season. Thought he'd got over that

Loublaze

ATLien
What do you define as excellent?
Commanding your area, nullifying or destroying your opponent and winning most of your challenges. Neither Bailly nor Lindelof looked very comfortable against PSG in that first leg.

MadMike

The whole backline bar shaw looked nervous. Lindelof is young and still learning and thats why I would not be harsh on his performance today. And this is where I question smalling, 200th PL appearance and yet very little leadership quality. I would prefer to gove lindelof another full season and let him improve than have smalling getting chance after chance. If anyone needs replacing that is smalling/jones and not lindelof or even bailly.
If at this stage you still think Bailly is a better defender than Smalling, you probably don’t understand football half as good as you think you do.

Litch

reflection of the team and was due one. Not read anything but I'm pretty sure after one bad game, the vultures will have started circling again....

Loublaze

ATLien
Terrible reasoning. You're giving Lindelof a pass for a poor game on his age? Smalling cleared the fires Lindelof couldn't handle himself against Arsenal. Even when Lindelof inexplicably missed a routine header and almost let Lucazzette through on goal it was Smalling who came across to narrow down the angle. If playing the role of two in a defensive pairing isn't showing leadership I don't know what that is.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Looked off but still been easily our best defender this season.

Steerpike

I'd say that Lindelof was the only one of the back four who had a poor game today. Smalling was excellent again, as he has been every game since returning to the team recently, and I wonder where you get your point regarding his leadership quality from: it was perhaps Smalling who initiated the position swap with Lindelof when he realised his partner was struggling.

I too don't feel inclined to be harsh with Lindelof. His performances prior to today have been decent and, as you say, he's still young for a CB.

AshRK

If at this stage you still think Bailly is a better defender than Smalling, you probably don’t understand football half as good as you think you do.
I don't know about my footballing knowledge but i know for sure you don't read well. Never said bailly is a better defender than smalling. The fact that smalling has been at this club for close to 10 years and still cannot lead our defense is a concern. I would prefer to give chance to bailly and see if he can grow as a player rather than wasting another 4 years on smalling.

Ekeke

I don't know about my footballing knowledge but i know for sure you don't read well. Never said bailly is a better defender than smalling. The fact that smalling has been at this club for close to 10 years and still cannot lead our defense is a concern. I would prefer to give chance to bailly and see if he can grow as a player rather than wasting another 4 years on smalling.
So "Smalling cant lead" according to you, so lets put in a CB who not only cant lead, but also cant defend properly. Great idea, theres no way we'll pay for trying stupid experiments with our defense. Thats totally not what got us in a bad position at the start of the season, going with Bailly and Lindelof together, then playing Ander in a 3 man defense, McTominay in a 3 man defense and then Fellaini in a 3 man defense

AshRK

Terrible reasoning. You're giving Lindelof a pass for a poor game on his age? Smalling cleared the fires Lindelof couldn't handle himself against Arsenal. Even when Lindelof inexplicably missed a routine header and almost let Lucazzette through on goal it was Smalling who came across to narrow down the angle. If playing the role of two in a defensive pairing isn't showing leadership I don't know what that is.
Young players are bound to make mistakes. Problem is we are expecting lindelof to keep on having flawleas performance. Today he was nervous and this is where I expect some leadership from a senior player like smalling. I am not saying smalling is a bad defender, no he is not. I am just saying he has to sometimes bring some calmness to the defence which smalling fails to do.

Skills

Snitch
Considering that we moved Smalling to the left for Lindelof's ball playing, he was completely useless on the ball.

Loublaze

ATLien
Young players are bound to make mistakes. Problem is we are expecting lindelof to keep on having flawleas performance. Today he was nervous and this is where I expect some leadership from a senior player like smalling. I am not saying smalling is a bad defender, no he is not. I am just saying he has to sometimes bring some calmness to the defence which smalling fails to do.
Except he did bring calmness when Lindelof was a nervous wreck. Arsenal's two goals were down to a freak goal which should've been saved and a soft penalty call. They didn't cut through us like we did them on numerous occasions and failed to score.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Didn't put a foot wrong since Ole's arrival until last night, it can happen to anyone.

Not surprised with the criticism though, there are some absolute melts on here running rampant in performance threads.

Red_toad

Smalling was very good against Le arse. Looks like you’ve just got it in for him, but regardless I won’t let a lie stand without being challenged. Shaw was excellent and Young performanced as well as he can. Dave and Lindelof were both poor and made errors. But it happens, probably post PSG lag...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Alderweireld is a must for £25m - automatically becomes the best defender, but can also teach the like of Lindelof a lot.
Lindelof's been playing with one of the best CB on header for years.

Grande

One of the reasons he won more is, perversely, because he looked vulnerable and Arsenal targeted him. Not going to knock the ball to a striker up against Smalling in the air. Stats can only tell you so much.

He has been much better aerially recently but the swirling wind brought out an indecisiveness in him.
Except he did bring calmness when Lindelof was a nervous wreck. Arsenal's two goals were down to a freak goal which should've been saved and a soft penalty call. They didn't cut through us like we did them on numerous occasions and failed to score.
You’re back on Lindelöf’s back again, are you :) His ‘development’ must have grated, thankfully, now both he and De Gea showed their ‘real’ level.

It’s good that Smalling on his own could decimate the counter attacking threat of Lacazette, Özil and Aubameyang at The Emirates when we needed to go forward for 80 mins.

Trollholken

Jesus... Yes, he had a shocker yesterday, but so did dave and Rashford. People saying its back to square one or that he "showed his true level" after yesterday must have forgotten that he has been one of our best for almost 3 months. He will bounce back after that performance, no doubt.

A-man

In the beginning of the match Arsenal had most of their attacks on the Young/ Smalling side and as they created some chances there it looked as if OGS moved back Dalot to help them out. Then Arsenal switched to attack more around Lindelof.

A-man

He’s decent, but nothing special and actually reminds me a lot of Jonny Evans.
Have you even seen Alderweireld play? Both Lindelof and Smalling have been much better than him lately.

Mcking

He takes too long to get it out of his feet. I'd say shaw is our best defender passing out from the back.
Considering that we moved Smalling to the left for Lindelof's ball playing, he was completely useless on the ball.
His passing is underwhelming for a defender that has built a reputation of being a ball-playing CB. His range is next to non-existent and most of his passes are to his CB partner and the nearest fullback - he rarely even attempt to switch play and usually fails whenever he tries to. He completes the least long passes among our 5 senior CBs - according to Whoscored, and has the second worst % completion after hoofball-Rojo who has only played 104 minutes in the EPL.
I would really love to know what his average pass length is seeing as our other CBs are usually accused of being poor on the ball. He is comfortable in possession, but that's it really.

Status
Not open for further replies.