Victor Osimhen - £74m Napoli Signing

Mike Smalling

First I've ever heard of him - probably shows how little I follow football outside of United and the PL.

Strong start to the season for sure, but 10 goals in 30 games last season isn't all that impressive. Doesn't suggest a £100m player, unless there is something I am missing.

abundance

Supports
Inter
First I've ever heard of him - probably shows how little I follow football outside of United and the PL.

Strong start to the season for sure, but 10 goals in 30 games last season isn't all that impressive. Doesn't suggest a £100m player, unless there is something I am missing.
Last season involved adapting to new team and new league, missing two months from late november to late january for a shoulder injury and subsequently Covid, then another couple weeks off in february after fainting on the pitch after a heavy hit in the head...
He started just 16 games in the league and was subbed in 8 times.
He scored 8 of his 10 league goals after coming back in march, one every 110 minutes to the end of the season which ain't bad.

Dude oozed quality even in his brief, disoriented spells at the start of the season, and looks a real threat since last spring.
Not a £100m player yet for sure, but he could very well become one.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

He was wank for them last season. Looks completely different now.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I love Osimhen. He’s going to be class.

RooneyLegend

He was never gonna fail, hes basically Cavani with amazing speed. Players like that are pretty much sure deals.

criticalanalysis

Wow, not even one youtube highlights video in the thread so far.

How am I meant to judge him and call him the next '....'?

And on that basis, I'm out.

Pintu

Awesome player. But also a rather “funny” guy to follow on Twitter.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Even Lukaku scored a bag full in Italy?

Pintu

Even Lukaku scored a bag full in Italy?
This phrase works for Immobile, not for Lukaku… Because he didn’t anything different to what he did in England…. Lukaku scored NPG at the exact same rate as he’s always done in England. (One thing changed, he scored more penalties and that got him closer to the 20+ goals/season…

Pintu

Is this supposed to be a question?
if it is, the answer is: Lukaku scored at the same rate he is always done in England… until now… Because he is currently having his worst season ever goal scoring-wise.

He scores around 0,5/90 minutes in both Serie A and the PL.

Todd

Even if it winds up being 110-120 million, that's our #9 sorted for the next 6-8 years, so it's probably worth it in the long run.

We haven't invested in a proper goal scorer in a long time and now we have to pay the price for that.

What'll probably happen is we'll sign Kane for 80-90 million.

SuperiorXI

Even if it winds up being 110-120 million, that's our #9 sorted for the next 6-8 years, so it's probably worth it in the long run.

We haven't invested in a proper goal scorer in a long time and now we have to pay the price for that.

What'll probably happen is we'll sign Kane for 80-90 million.
As good as he is currently playing, there's no guarantee it translates to our club 100%.

croadyman

As good as he is currently playing, there's no guarantee it translates to our club 100%.
Yeah that's a valid concern,however will keep saying it,I reckon Erik can help him work on weaker areas of game and bring his strengths up another couple of notches

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I trust most signings under ETH, even Antony who I criticise.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We have an FFP problem next summer regardless of our owners.
Do we know how bad that situation will be? How much can we spend without selling? We need to be able to spend 200m on CM and Striker ideally

Ish

Lights on for Luke
His transfer fee to Napoli certainly raised a few eyebrows to say the least....now it seems like a genius move. On course to win the league with his as top scorer and will make a fairly significant profit on his sale if he is to leave.

My only worry would be the transition from Serie A to the EPL. Might be overstated at times, but there are a few who haven't transitioned well after doing really well in Italy. And it will take a massive fee to convince Napoli to sell.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Do we know how bad that situation will be? How much can we spend without selling? We need to be able to spend 200m on CM and Striker ideally
That's kind of hard to know without projecting the revenue forward. As is, we'll probably get a boost from champions league qualification but that would also mean that the player salaries get a little inflated with the CL bonus. Getting off of Ronaldo would have helped but Rashford, Fred etc need new deals. de Gea on a reduced salary would help as well. The most important incomings could be dictated by getting Maguire's salary off the books as well as getting a good fee for him. Easier said than done. Otherwise, you'll have to start accumulating cash from selling the likes of Lindelöf, McTominay, Sancho. Wan Bissaka and Martial, while replacing them with homegrown players and cheaper options like Garnacho, Mainoo, he who shall not be named and making the moves of Sabitzer and Weghorst permanent for low fees.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
That's kind of hard to know without projecting the revenue forward. As is, we'll probably get a boost from champions league qualification but that would also mean that the player salaries get a little inflated with the CL bonus. Getting off of Ronaldo would have helped but Rashford, Fred etc need new deals. de Gea on a reduced salary would help as well. The most important incomings could be dictated by getting Maguire's salary off the books as well as getting a good fee for him. Easier said than done. Otherwise, you'll have to start accumulating cash from selling the likes of Lindelöf, McTominay, Sancho. Wan Bissaka and Martial, while replacing them with homegrown players and cheaper options like Garnacho, Mainoo, he who shall not be named and making the moves of Sabitzer and Weghorst permanent for low fees.
Its worth a reminder that our next owner will probably wipe out our 500m+ pound debt. That shifts that money to our revenue column. Unless we get another set of broke owners like The Glazers. FFP won't really be an issue

Pintu

Didn’t realise Napoli paid 74m for him, wow!
Only on paper but not in reality.
Lille needed a very big sale to show good books before the French DNCG... He was bought by Napoli for around 55 M + 4 players (75 M total). The 4 Napoli players were a veteran GK with a 5,5M valuation + 3 youngsters estimated at 3M each... If you consider the real market value of the Napoli players going to Lille (the 3 youngsters never played for Lille anyway) it's barely 3M total... Which means he was bought for a maximum of 58 M. (More than 25% under the official figure). But that doesn't matter, his cost on the books is 75 (or 15 per season). And when they sell him, they will be looking at that number to calculate the potential profit...

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We could also benefit from dodgy sponsors from the new owners like City

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its worth a reminder that our next owner will probably wipe out our 500m+ pound debt. That shifts that money to our revenue column. Unless we get another set of broke owners like The Glazers. FFP won't really be an issue
Yes but that's a bigger unknown until we even see the bids rolling in to get an idea of the profile of people involved.