Vidic Return?

Maticmaker

According to the Google news app (quoting story from Express) Ed Woodward is in talks with Nemanja Vidic about a return to United... presumably linked to some background role. That makes three of our former warriors, including Rio Ferdinand and Darren Fletcher all supposedly about to return?

What is going on? Technical Director, or Director of Football? Centre Back coach? Box to box midfielder coach? are we in danger going from the sublime to the ridiculous as a club... next will it be tea-lady trainer!

Too many cooks!

ErranMorad

Eddie has all of us fooled again. Here we are thinking that Fletch, Rio etc. are meeting him for important positions, while is just planning a big reunion party. Ronaldo and Tevez to meet him next.

IrishRedDevil

The club needs a cultural reset. I'm all for getting as many past players involved as possible, as they actually know what it means to play for United.

Less accountants, more footballers, can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Form some kind of transfer committee where the past players, Ole, Mike, new Technical Director, and scouts all vote on potential targets. That way it’s a group decision in terms of what’s best for the team with forward planning in mind.

The likes of Vidic and Rio should have a good eye for a defender, Fletcher and Carrick a good eye for midfielders, Ole for strikers. I would feel more comfortable knowing actual footballers are assisting Woody and the scouts.

Will it work? Who knows. But what we have been doing for the last handful of years certainly hasn't been working.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

According to the Google news app (quoting story from Express) Ed Woodward is in talks with Nemanja Vidic about a return to United... presumably linked to some background role. That makes three of our former warriors, including Rio Ferdinand and Darren Fletcher all supposedly about to return?

What is going on? Technical Director, or Director of Football? Centre Back coach? Box to box midfielder coach? are we in danger going from the sublime to the ridiculous as a club... next will it be tea-lady trainer!

Too many cooks!
Don't think there's anything ridiculous about bringing in former players as long as they're suited to the job - would assume it's a similar conversation to that which he had with Rio? Likely they'll be competing for DOF rather than all being hired in various capacities surely?

Vidic actually strikes me as someone who could be decent, unsure about Rio or Fletcher

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Replace every single position at the club which an ex United player.

AgentP

It's good to have ex-players working for the club. Nothing wrong with that. One of the big issues we have had is a lack of football people at the club aside from the coaches. They will definitely help with transfers, player development and so forth.

RedCurry

Could be just all PR but maybe we are moving towards a transfer committee of sorts like Liverpool instead of director of football?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The club needs a cultural reset. I'm all for getting as many past players involved as possible, as they actually know what it means to play for United.

Form some kind of transfer committee where the past players, Ole, Mike, new Technical Director, and scouts all vote on potential targets. That way it’s a group decision in terms of what’s best for the team with forward planning in mind.

The likes of Vidic and Rio should have a good eye for a defender, Fletcher and Carrick a good eye for midfielders, Ole for strikers. I would feel more comfortable knowing actual footballers are assisting Woody and the scouts.

Will it work? Who knows. But what we have been doing for the last handful of years certainly hasn't been working.
Sounds like management by committee to me with everybody having their finger in the pie but nobody taking final responsibly.

What we need right now is someone with a clear vision of what is necessary to take our club back to the top.
That vision then would require a fully funded and resourced plan to deliver that vision and that person to relentlessly drive things forward to become number one again.
That person has to demand the best from every function within the club.

nameischarles

I’m all up for past players joining as long as they have the proper knowledge of the role and what they are expected to do. I would hate if some of these players are on the job training.

I think this is a PR wet dream for Ed, past players with past glories. His really deflecting attention away from the issues.

If any of them or a proper DoF gets hired I have a feeling Ed Woodward will get the final say, but in the end we can only hope they influence the board to make better decisions.

RedDevilRoshi

So Phelan, Fletcher, Rio and now Vidic. Who’s next from that great team we had that Woodward wants to reassemble for a committee of technical directors? Anderson?

OleGunnar20

So Phelan, Fletcher, Rio and now Vidic. Who’s next from that great team we had that Woodward wants to reassemble for a committee of technical directors? Anderson?
Bellion & Fangzhou for the in-house crime fighting duo would be my preference.

Outside of that, Ruud seems quite switched on, throw him in the mix.

wilkie1990

What if Woodward is meeting these former players to understand what made these mentally, structurally etc so that he can identify the right people for the job rather than hiring them.

0le

Its all well and good hiring ex-United players. But I strongly believe hiring people with no affiliation to United will also help to give a different perspective - which is always important when making decisions. So I can understand trying to set up some sort of committee, but I think it also now needs an individual with no past experience with United.

varga92

I think he's already returned. He's a club ambassador or something.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Wasn’t a fan of how he had signed with Inter mid-season.
Not the greatest act from a captain, even if the ship was sinking, he could’ve waited for the summer.

Last edited:

reddevil702

So first we complain about not having enough football minds on board and now that we are potentially adding former players who only know football, it's a bad thing? Prior to Ajax's achievement in the CL, very few wanted VDS as our DoF. Fast forward to today and a few wins later and he's the perfect candidate. One win doesn't validate his work anymore than one loss would disprove it, it's that type of short-termism thinking that got us in this mess to begin with. If Ed & Ole have a clear vision of what they want United to be 2-3 years from now and the likes of Vidic, Rio and Fletch can help and share that same vision, then why not add them? Why add someone like Paul Mitchell, who may have a different view or vision, when that's not the direction we want to go in. It only adds conflict and stagnates the process.

Skills

Snitch
Wasn’t a fan of how he had signed with Inter mid-season.
Not the greatest act from a captain, even if the ship was sinking, he couldn’t waited for the summer.
Why would he risk himself getting injured and having nowhere to go?

jb8521

Hopefully it's as u23s manager since he did his coaching badges on the same course as Nicky Butt

redshaw

Perhaps goes along with what Jose was saying about having help managing with the players. I think it's good to have some ex players around the club.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Too many cooks!
Damn, my eyesight is failing. I thought you said...

Minimalist

A revival more like. Although for some reason there's a few who don't like Ole reminding people what a Manchester United player/team is supposed to look and play like.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Vidic is a very intelligent guy. I don't mind having him around.
He's an ambassador for us anyway, so Ed must know what he's like.

oggy boy

I am his compatriot and a big fan, but is United trying to involve all their previous big footballing names in some club roles just because media and fans say so or because they think that is the best thing to do?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxbatt

Vidic as a coach for the central defenders would be great.

Bojan11

Is he trying to hire the whole 07/08 squad?

Tevez next?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm fine bringing in ex important players who understand the club but They must NOT be good mates with pundits.
The last thing We need is politics/agendas among ex-players.

I consider Vidic&Rio still neutral. So I'm fine with this one if it's true.