Television Vikings

Nucks

RT History Department
Hearing the actors trying to pronounce their names is the best thing about this poor show, it's a hilarious butchering of the Norse/Icelandic language.

Otherwise I agree with Revan on most accounts.
Revan hates it because he can't read the book and then spoiler it all!

El-Manos

This show should be getting a lot more praise, almost as good as GOT in my opinion. Nearly finished season 2 there, can't wait for season 3 ! Also Lagertha is amazing. The fighting sequences in this are vastly superior to GOT's.

Loublaze

ATLien
So is anyone still watching? This show is underrated, or should I say it doesn't have a wide audience. I think the characters in this are much stronger than the majority of the characters on GoT

Classical Mechanic

So is anyone still watching? This show is underrated, or should I say it doesn't have a wide audience. I think the characters in this are much stronger than the majority of the characters on GoT
Just finished the first three series on Prime. A really enjoyable show, even if it is historically fanciful.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
I haven't watched the new season yet, I'm waiting for it to finish so I can binge watch them all online. I don't know why, but in the UK they've only just premiered the second season in the UK, we're a season behind for some reason, and I've watched that all last year. It's possibly the channel it's on too why it doesn't get much attention. Who watches the History channel? Not much publicly or advertising for a channel like that, to a channel say like Sky1/Sky Atlantic, or 5.

Classical Mechanic

Most of the characters are historically accurate, it's just the chronology that's patchy.
And everything else. Not that it really matters. It is a lot of fun without being ridiculous like Spartacus. The lead characters seem to be invincible though.

I have just realised that I have not seen all the episodes from season 3, Prime only has eight at the moment!

KeaneSixteen

"All they can talk about is Manchester United."
Ragna is the one main character that historians are uncertain as to whether he existed or not. Rollo was at the siege of Paris and later went on to rule Normandy, though he wasn't related to Ragna Lodbrok. All the 'sons' of Ragnar, including Bjorn, Ivar, Sigurd and Halfdan were legendary in there own right.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Floki used to be a good character but he's annoying me now.

Loublaze

ATLien
Ragna is the one main character that historians are uncertain as to whether he existed or not. Rollo was at the siege of Paris and later went on to rule Normandy, though he wasn't related to Ragna Lodbrok. All the 'sons' of Ragnar, including Bjorn, Ivar, Sigurd and Halfdan were legendary in there own right.
I guess no records existed of their fathers. Were they even actually brothers? Vikings just introduced me to these historical figures so I don't know and haven't read much about them.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
Just finished the first three series on Prime. A really enjoyable show, even if it is historically fanciful.
I agree.

I haven't watched the new season yet, I'm waiting for it to finish so I can binge watch them all online. I don't know why, but in the UK they've only just premiered the second season in the UK, we're a season behind for some reason, and I've watched that all last year. It's possibly the channel it's on too why it doesn't get much attention. Who watches the History channel? Not much publicly or advertising for a channel like that, to a channel say like Sky1/Sky Atlantic, or 5.
I love the history channel. It gets good ratings in the US especially for its specials. The 10 part miniseries 'the bible' for instance got 13M viewers for its premiere in 2013. Those numbers beat the Walking dead's ratings which average over 12M. Off course it must be totally different in the UK.

KeaneSixteen

"All they can talk about is Manchester United."
I guess no records existed of their fathers. Were they even actually brothers? Vikings just introduced me to these historical figures so I don't know and haven't read much about them.
Anything related to Vikings is factually sketchy, as the only people keeping a written record at the time were the people they were fecking over on a regular basis. History seems to agree though that Bjorn, Ivar, Sigurd, Halfdan and another brother Ubba were related. Ragnar possibly didn't exist, as their father or not, but it's possible he's an amalgamation of a several other Viking leaders.

Loublaze

ATLien
Anything related to Vikings is factually sketchy, as the only people keeping a written record at the time were the people they were fecking over on a regular basis. History seems to agree though that Bjorn, Ivar, Sigurd, Halfdan and another brother Ubba were related. Ragnar possibly didn't exist, as their father or not, but it's possible he's an amalgamation of a several other Viking leaders.
King Arthur of the Vikings

shabz

Season 4 mid season finale was epic and weird all at the same time.

It seems like the old Ragnar is back now.

Last edited:

GloryHunter07

Season 4 mid season finale was epic and weird all at the same time.

It seems like the old Ragnar is back now.
I thought the acting was cheesy as feck. Not sure i like the way this season has been directed either.

Classical Mechanic

Enjoyed the season overall but the last episode was terrible. Too many complaints to list. OK they had to advance things to move onto the exploits of Ivar and Arthur etc but it was all very rushed and I was not keen on some of the new casting choices.

GloryHunter07

Enjoyed the season overall but the last episode was terrible. Too many complaints to list. OK they had to advance things to move onto the exploits of Ivar and Arthur etc but it was all very rushed and I was not keen on some of the new casting choices.
That fist fight..

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
I stopped caring about the show by the time the second season was done and it took a lot of patience to last that long. I realize The History Channel doesn't have a huge budget but surely they could have invested some money in hiring good writers? I can live with less action but the plot is shit and dialogues are worse. As for the actors, the guy playing the main character is so bad he makes Ashton Kutcher look like Al Pacino. Apparently smiling weirdly and rolling your eyes in between saying something pointless in a dumb accent is supposed to convince you he's a viking warlord.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

I stoped caring about the show by the time the second season was done and it took a lot of patience to last that long. I realize The History Channel doesn't have a huge budget but surely they could have invested some money in hiring good writers? I can live with less action but the plot is shit and dialogues are worse. As for the actors, the guy playing the main character is so bad he makes Ashton Kutcher look like Al Pacino. Apparently smiling weirdly and rolling your eyes in between saying something pointless in a dumb accent is supposed to convince you he's a viking warlord.
Yeah, he isn't a great actor by any stretch. Floki is a bit hammy too. I still like the show though.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
I thought it was alright season bearing in mind this season is the first time it's split in half and extended to 20 episodes so it does lose its quality a bit like other shows.

I think this season was building up for the second half mainly, they've had to develop and explore the stories of Paris and Wessex because that's what the Vikings did they explored and travelled.

I thought the ending of the finale was strange, it was more like the ending of the next opening episode. It felt rushed to fast forward several years, make Ragnar look old and all his sons are now grown up, they should have been introduced after the break.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Binge watched this and got to mid season 4 now.

I hate you for leaving me :(:(:(:(

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Watched all 4 seasons with the wife over the last month... I've absolutely loved it, Can't wait for the rest of Season 4 at the end of the year.

Rollo is the man.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but 3 was a bit of a disappointment so I still haven't got round to season 4.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Watched all 4 seasons with the wife over the last month... I've absolutely loved it, Can't wait for the rest of Season 4 at the end of the year.

Rollo is the man.
Traitor!!!

Did you watch the season premier?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Traitor!!!

Did you watch the season premier?
Finally got round to watching it last night, bit of a low key start to the new series (I imagine any new viewer would probably be quite turned off by it) but then, considering how many years they skipped forward, it's a pretty neccesary episode to have to establish the current world, who his sons characters are now (as they're basically new characters) and what their motivations are.

Can't wait until we see Rollo though, what a boss that man is :drool:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Wiki says that there is only one venomous snake in England - adder. Where did they got all those different snakes to fill the hole?

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Wiki says that there is only one venomous snake in England - adder. Where did they got all those different snakes to fill the hole?
No clue but the real Aella was supposed to have a pit of snakes that killed the real Ragnar.

starman