g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Virgil van Dijk | Performances

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Quality - something about him I fecking hate.

Probably the club he plays for :mad:

MUM

Deserved MOM, head and shoulders (in more ways than one) above the rest today.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yes he's the best in the league but the praise today was way over the top against a weak Everton attack. Everton launched long balls onto his head for 90 minutes. Keane at the other end arguably had a better game.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He seriously did not look this good at Southampton

Fracture90

Yes he's the best in the league but the praise today was way over the top against a weak Everton attack. Everton launched long balls onto his head for 90 minutes. Keane at the other end arguably had a better game.
I agree with this.

Andrew~

Class player but don’t like his attitude. Always seems to be looking for someone to blame for any little thing. Seems really petulant too.

Rajma

He seriously did not look this good at Southampton
I actually think all this hype got into his head and he started believing it himself, normally, it works to player's detriment but sometimes it fills you up with all the confidence in the world and it shows.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Class player but don’t like his attitude. Always seems to be looking for someone to blame for any little thing. Seems really petulant too.
He is a leader with no faults, and people buy into it. A game like today, what did he do? As someone said, Keane had a better game. However, because he points and shouts at others somehow he is a leader. Him hoofing the ball under pressure when his team need a goal, is somehow seen as a world class trait. Going by that standard Rojo must be fecking Baresi. He is a very good CB and probably the best in the league this season but when you got that going for you, no matter what you do people will give you credit. I mean, he was well protected against Everton so Liverpool couldn't really move forward enough. They did get the clean sheet but at what cost?

M Bison

Supports
York City
There was lots of this going on today, i noticed it too.

Whilst i think VVD is brilliant, he lacks the attacking presence that a prime JT had which often won games for Chelsea back when they were good.

DelBanco

Alessandro Nesta and Virgil van Dijk are the best CBs I’ve seen in my life. Virgil is dominant in the air, nobody can outmuscle him, faster than most wingers, profile of a perfect CB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh 76

Great CB.
Put Carragher when well over the top today.
Maybe he needed to put a positive spin on another crap day for them .

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He is a leader with no faults, and people buy into it. A game like today, what did he do? As someone said, Keane had a better game. However, because he points and shouts at others somehow he is a leader. Him hoofing the ball under pressure when his team need a goal, is somehow seen as a world class trait. Going by that standard Rojo must be fecking Baresi. He is a very good CB and probably the best in the league this season but when you got that going for you, no matter what you do people will give you credit. I mean, he was well protected against Everton so Liverpool couldn't really move forward enough. They did get the clean sheet but at what cost?
Did you see El Clasico? Even the likes of Ramos, Varane, Pique and Lenglet were hoofing it at times. Even in sides that play from the back CBs will occasionly have to hoof it under pressure.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The bastard is like a magnet when that ball comes into the box
Yep. First to every ball, high or low.

Attackers don't even bother trying to take him on anymore.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I actually think all this hype got into his head and he started believing it himself, normally, it works to player's detriment but sometimes it fills you up with all the confidence in the world and it shows.
I was actually going to mention the hype around him and how it's effecting the opposition because it is like opposition strikers are afraid to go near VVD. Would be nice to see someone really test him out and remove this air of invulnerability he has at the moment

Tony Clifton

Van Dijk has certainly progressed since he was sent to the stands by some 19-year old kid named Tony Martial.

Can be viewed at ~0:42 in the clip below.

Trizy

Van Dijk has certainly progressed since he was sent to the stands by some 19-year old kid named Tony Martial.

Can be viewed at ~0:42 in the clip below.

Feels like Martial has been gone for months.. can't wait for him to return :drool:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He wasn't the reason why Liverpool didn't score today.

the_irish123

Great player. Dominant center backs who allow you to attack and he wins 1 on 1 duels and aerially dominant are underrated in winning silverware. Its a big reason Real Madrid won so much (Ramos).

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He wasn't the reason why Liverpool didn't score today.
He scored two goals last game as well, so I agree they can't and wont blame anything on their defence, but you could speculate in Liverpool changing to a more conservative set up is doing their defence more favours than their attack. It is normal to be raised as a talking point somewhere. One year some say the best player in the world is a Liverpool attacker named Salah, next year when their approach changes Salah is unrecognisable at the same time their CB is being talked about as the best in the world. Maybe its form, maybe it's about circumstances and tactics, or maybe a bit of both. I fail to see the relevance of applauding a CB in a 0-0 game where they needed 3 points and he wasn't even the best performing CB on the pitch.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He's a truly excellent defender sadly.

Best centre-back in the world at the minute I think, just gobbles up absolutely everything with no drama whatsoever and you can see that most attackers are completely apprehensive about taking him on 'cause he always seems to win the duel.

Why weren't we in for him? Alongside Lindelöf would've been perfect.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He's a truly excellent defender sadly.

Best centre-back in the world at the minute I think, just gobbles up absolutely everything with no drama whatsoever and you can see that most attackers are completely apprehensive about taking him on 'cause he always seems to win the duel.

Why weren't we in for him? Alongside Lindelöf would've been perfect.
Van Gaal and them didn't rate him. Should have made the world cup squad and been bought from Celtic for the 16m we spent on Rojo. Signs were there.

Aloysius's Back 3

This is what happened.

Irrational.

He's annoyingly good. Great injury record too, Liverpool have been very lucky. Their defence would look pretty shite defensively without him.