Virgil van Dijk | Performances

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Based on my eyes and having watched VVD before he joined Liverpool. He's a bit old school in the sense that he dominates aerially. But his reading of the game can be very slow at times and with a young defense around him, those stats aren't going to last for an entire season.
They're lasting for more than half a season now yet you're convinced they won't last for an entire season, which means it's going to have to change rather sooner and pretty drastically as well. Even if we stay in the top 5 defensively he has improved us massively.

RedCurry

They're lasting for more than half a season now yet you're convinced they won't last for an entire season, which means it's going to have to change rather sooner and pretty drastically as well. Even if we stay in the top 5 defensively he has improved us massively.
You really consider being top 5 defensively to be a massive improvement? Liverpool were top 5 defensively in PL just the season before VVD joined.

Murray3007

It's interesting because in 6 games so far they've conceded 4 goals, of which two were down to dumb individual mistakes and one was offside and should not have stood. 6 teams and all have barely managed to create any sort of chances against them
Yeah and they should have conceded 2 pens in those games as well if you want to play that game. also Leicester and spurs had good chances but poor finishing cost them

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Would be interested to hear from Liverpool fans on who they think is better in their respective position.

Andy Robertson or VvD. I think Robertson is a better left back than VvD is a cb, but I think Van Dijk is comfortably in the top 3/5 cb's in the league.
Robertson might just be the best left back in the league. Van Dijk for me is one of the top 3 centrebacks in the league, might even be the best though its a harder call to make.

Van Dijk gives us much more than Robertson though. And I love robbo.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You really consider being top 5 defensively to be a massive improvement? Liverpool were top 5 defensively in PL just the season before VVD joined.
Yeah maybe that's a bit OTT given that we were always going to be top 5 with Arsenal's current demise.

However, we conceded 50, 48 and 50 during Rodgers' last two seasons and Klopp's first. Two most recent seasons it was down to 42, then 38 and now, although way too small a sample size, we've got the best defensive record in the league after six games. Given our defensive issues over the last half decade, I'll take that, and it shows that Klopp has improved us defensively, something he was unable to do according to lots on here. Not to mention he's doing it with a a very young back four that has immense room to improve.

Van Dijk was the missing piece in our defense, and if the recent trend is anything to go by we're only going to get better defensively over the course of the whole season, rather than the opposite (what you're claiming). We had already conceded more goals after one game last season than we have after six games right now.

(Not saying we will definitely not fall apart, but it's unlikely based on current stats and form imo)

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Yeah maybe that's a bit OTT given that we were always going to be top 5 with Arsenal's current demise.

However, we conceded 50, 48 and 50 during Rodgers' last two seasons and Klopp's first. Two most recent seasons it was down to 42, then 38 and now, although way too small a sample size, we've got the best defensive record in the league after six games. Given our defensive issues over the last half decade, I'll take that, and it shows that Klopp has improved us defensively, something he was unable to do according to lots on here. Not to mention he's doing it with a a very young back four that has immense room to improve.

Van Dijk was the missing piece in our defense, and if the recent trend is anything to go by we're only going to get better defensively over the course of the whole season, rather than the opposite (what you're claiming). We had already conceded more goals after one game last season than we have after six games right now.

(Not saying we will definitely not fall apart, but it's unlikely based on current stats and form imo)
Last year was the first season for 8 years where we conceded less than 40 goals. & even then it was Rafa's final one where we only scored 61 goals.

When Klopp took over at Dortmund (2008 I think) they had the worse defensive record in the Bundesliga. 3 years later they won the league & had the best defensive record. I think he knows what he's doing on that score. But like you say, it's early days yet. Still 99 points to play for & a lot more twists & turns to come. We've had a good start & that's about it. Consistency over a full season has been our downfall in recent seasons.

ZAGREB RED

Hate to say it, and sticks in my throat, but if they get another top class CB in there beside VvD, along with signing Alisson, they could really become a top team, more than capable of winning the EPL and possibly more if they continue to progress.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
Hate to say it, and sticks in my throat, but if they get another top class CB in there beside VvD, along with signing Alisson, they could really become a top team, more than capable of winning the EPL and possibly more if they continue to progress.
I'm not sure which top class CB would be available to join us. I wanted us to sign one this summer, but so glad we upgraded on the GK options we have. Having said that, I have really enjoyed watching Gomez play with VvD. So much so that I certainly hope he isn't dropped for Lovren (albeit it's inevitable). I think if he's groomed properly, and taken good care of (injuries wise) he will be a great talent, both for LFC and England. I certainly wish him the best and hopes he continues to grow and get better.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Id go for De Ligt if I were Liverpool. Partly because it will benefit Holland to have a backline with 2 teammates.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
It's interesting because in 6 games so far they've conceded 4 goals, of which two were down to dumb individual mistakes and one was offside and should not have stood. 6 teams and all have barely managed to create any sort of chances against them
It's hard to accept the defensive improvement in 2018 considering that the majority of this year has been spent with Karius in goal. It's a theory that gets ridiculed but Karius was actually looking like a really good (albeit a level below top tier) goalkeeper in the second half of last season. Unfortunately for him, the final happens and that's what he'll be remembered for.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's hard to accept the defensive improvement in 2018 considering that the majority of this year has been spent with Karius in goal. It's a theory that gets ridiculed but Karius was actually looking like a really good (albeit a level below top tier) goalkeeper in the second half of last season. Unfortunately for him, the final happens and that's what he'll be remembered for.
Karius never looked good. At best he looked passable, but it was clear the next big mistake was waiting right behind the corner. And it was clear the team didn't have a lot of confidence in him

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Agreed. He'd been mostly fine in goal before THAT game, and even made a few very good saves here and there.

I think the biggest area we've improved is set pieces. I remember that I used to dread them whenever an opposition corner came in, but nowadays it's never a major concern.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Id go for De Ligt if I were Liverpool. Partly because it will benefit Holland to have a backline with 2 teammates.
Isnt he a longterm target for Barcelona? In any case Gomez is playing pretty well and by mid season we'll know if he will be the longterm solution next to Van Dijk.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Easily the best player in this Liverpool side. Not sure that has been said about a CB in any PL team before.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Him and Gomez were excellent today. It’s been a common theme this season that our defenders have impressed more than the offensive players have.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
His most valuable ability for your defense is having true leadership qualities. I think his sheer presence alone instills a lot of confidence into your other defenders. Probably your most important player currently. Very similar to what Hummels was in Dortmund.

le tard

he's very very good, we should have bought him last summer when southampton hit pool with the 'tapping up' charge.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Still think he should shave his head to look more bad arse.

If some of our attacking talent manages to develop the future of our nations might be quite good. De Ligt and VVD will be an excellent back 2 and with Stefan de Vrij as back up we even have depth there. It's just nearly all other positions we're shite.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
His most valuable ability for your defense is having true leadership qualities. I think his sheer presence alone instills a lot of confidence into your other defenders. Probably your most important player currently. Very similar to what Hummels was in Dortmund.
Definitely our most important player. Your Hummels at Dortmund example is very apt. Although VVD is a better defender and more athletic.

SambaBoy

Knew he would be a good signing for Liverpool and worth the price tag in the long run. Was disappointed when we didn't get him. You could see it at Celtic, he used to just stroll through games and looked too easy for him which led to the odd mistake. You knew when he made the step up, he would start to iron them out.

Southampton was another stepping stone for him where he proved his class in the PL, still looked a rash young defender at times but the move to Liverpool has been the true making of him thus far.

Rouge McDuck

Supports
Liverpool
Anybody left wondering why we Liverpool fans are going so mad over him, they should watch his performance last night. World Class is an understatement. He’s un-fuxking-believable. Again I’d say... I’d swap him for exactly nobody.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
He just swats it long on either foot, picking out his winger/fullback with relative ease.
I think he's the most complete defender in Europe.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
I’ve been saying it for about 2 years now to my mates and have been getting laughed at but... Best CB in the world. Was already elite at Celtic, clear for anyone who watched him to see. £75m an absolute bargain, fair play to Liverpool

izec

Small majority on the Caf could see him being a beast (@Mciahel Goodman being a big fan i remember), while the majority were slagging him off on here. There were some on here who called him average and garbage etc. I dont understand what games people were watching. I wasnt watching every Saints game, but the top games i saw he was immense, with a few mistakes here and there that could easily be ironed out, but the basics were top class. I always wanted him here since seeing him at Saints, but oh well, Lindelöf cost half as much and is utter shite. We need to go back in the market and buy another CB, thats what you get if you have shit scouts or dont pay up.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He just swats it long on either foot, picking out his winger/fullback with relative ease.
I think he's the most complete defender in Europe.
Ramos is still likely the most complete defender IMO.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ramos is still likely the most complete defender IMO.
Indeed, throughout history I don't think there's been a CB that made accumalating massive amounts of dumb red cards look quite so easy.

Seriously though Ramos is a good defender, but he has way too many shitebrain mistakes in him to be the best imo. Real steamroll 99,9% of the teams they face, that's a nice situation to be a defender in.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Small majority on the Caf could see him being a beast (@Mciahel Goodman being a big fan i remember)
He's the CB we should have signed. Natural heir to Stam only technically better if not as dominating in the box. VVD has it all for a CB and that's been plainly obvious since his late Celtic days, cemented at Southampton.

Zoo

What was the “best defender in the world” doing for Napoli’s goal?

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
What was the “best defender in the world” doing for Napoli’s goal?
Not really his fault, got drawn out of position because Robertson was pushing higher to press. Back line should have shifted, then Robertson get's outpaced for the cross to the goal.