Walcott retires

Fabio Rochemback

He played well as a striker and then got moved back out wide, as I recall it. Probably should have left Arsenal earlier.

Gazautd18

Chicken without a head.
Always thought he was going to follow an Henry trajectory but his career as someone said was just "decent"
I like him as a person though so fair play to him trying a career in the media.
Could even be the next Jermaine Jenas.....

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Who was more talented between Walcott and Lennon? For me, Lennon was brilliant at running with the ball. His close control resembled that of Messi. He kept the ball really close to his feet at high speeds, accelerating like a man obsessed and still being able to be this really agile and nimble player. I think he was the only player that was really capable of out-accelerating Evra. The problem was his end product. I remember someone saying that blocking his crosses to a corner created a more dangerous chance for the opposition than just letting him do his thing.

I think in the modern game with inverted wingers who are not expected to play like out-and-out wingers running to the byline for a cross, Lennon would be more efficient than he was at his prime, and more efficient than Walcott would be - he would struggle in the same set-up, and would struggle as a lone striker.
Didn't expect to see an Aaron Lennon love-in post on here :D

I agree though and there's always been this lazy misconception that all he had was pace, he was actually technically very good and also had the intelligence to go with it. People forget this but he was playing in a World Cup quarter-final shortly after turning 19, he was seriously talented but a few things held him back. One was that his game never really developed, had he been managed by a Pep Guardiola type I think he could've been seriously good but alas he came through at a time where all he was ever trained to do was to run down the wing and cross. Secondly he just couldn't strike the ball with much power, he was a composed finisher and could place the ball well but whenever power was needed he was sorely lacking. Lastly he had his issues off the field and wasn't the most professional, which is a shame.

He and Walcott were different players and each had their own strengths. I think Walcott will probably be remembered as the better player but Lennon, especially when he first broke through, was one of the most exciting players to watch. I still remember his debut for Spurs, he came on as a sub against Chelsea and no one really knew he was but by the end of the game he was all anyone was talking about.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
I think he had a very good career for his skill level.

Such a frustrating player as he always flattered to deceive. He had some great games and then was completely anonymous for others.

GlasgowCeltic

I agree though and there's always been this lazy misconception that all he had was pace, he was actually technically very good and also had the intelligence to go with it. People forget this but he was playing in a World Cup quarter-final shortly after turning 19, he was seriously talented but a few things held him back. One was that his game never really developed, had he been managed by a Pep Guardiola type I think he could've been seriously good but alas he came through at a time where all he was ever trained to do was to run down the wing and cross. Secondly he just couldn't strike the ball with much power, he was a composed finisher and could place the ball well but whenever power was needed he was sorely lacking. Lastly he had his issues off the field and wasn't the most professional, which is a shame.

He and Walcott were different players and each had their own strengths. I think Walcott will probably be remembered as the better player but Lennon, especially when he first broke through, was one of the most exciting players to watch. I still remember his debut for Spurs, he came on as a sub against Chelsea and no one really knew he was but by the end of the game he was all anyone was talking about.
I can remember Jol trying Lennon on the left and it just seemed strange

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
him going to the 2006 world cup despite not even playing in the PL for Arsenal is one of the most bizarre decisions I can remember

after that I expected him to be some amazing wonderkid level talent, but he was 'just' a decent player
Pretty much.

People always assumed he'd mature into a world class CF like Henry and Wenger did play him upfront for one season but his back to goal hold up play wasn't effective enough at elite level and finishing inconsistent.

Good career but one of those who burned out a bit after being involved at top level form 16/17 which isn't surprising.

Rossa

Agree with you 100%. Lennon had that extra something. As I said, the way he was able to dribble with the ball was Messi-esque with more acceleration. He really was that great at carrying the ball, albeit not to the extreme consistent level Messi would pull off game after game. It was, however similar in style. He was also, as you say quite intelligent in his play. On the other hand, his final ball was often missing. In the modern game, that wouldn't be as important. Playing for Pep, I think he would've been brilliant. He was never an out and out winger, despite having more than enough pace for it. Can you think of a player with better acceleration off the line? Maybe Traore?

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
No manager other than Arsene would have been able to get 12 seasons of promising/underwhelming/utter shite/decent/adequate/occasionally brilliant performances out of Theo. An immensely frustrating player to support because you could see there was just a few steps for him to become really very good, but he had next to no football brain at times. That said, when he turned it on, he was electrifying (Liverpool in the CL, jesus christ that run)

Fare well, young Theo, you've made me feel very old today.

Last edited:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Sack Sturridge, sign Theo !
Will always remember that run against Liverpool and Adebayor being a selfish idiot trying to get all the glory for a tap-in

mikeyt

Massively overrated because he was quick. Nice enough character but yet another English youngster to add to the ever growing list of players destroyed by being overhyped by the media.

Basically an older, English version of Dan James.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Oh, that's very Rawk-ish of you - how many times did you hit the post that if only they had gone in? I guess you were the only team who had injuries that year?
It was a tired tune for us by that point - 2007/08 being a similar disaster post some key injuries.

Truth is, we were just never deep enough or mentally strong enough to push for the entire season. AW was basically working with kids and pennies at his disposal (relatively speaking) and still managed a fair go at it, but those injuries set us back a lot worse than they would a deeper, better squad.

bringbackbebe

Was super scared when Arsenal got him from Southampton, I think he was touted as the next Henry or something. Fair to say the comparison was slightly off. Great start but like most Wenger prodigies, failed to live up to expectations. Still had a decent career. All the best to him.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
As far as I am aware, he is a really nice, genuine lad.

Never bad news against him. Think he even wrote some children's books when he was at Arsenal?

Bizaare that he is hanging up his boots, but I think someone mentioned above that football doesn't seem to be his passion, merely he is just good at it. He can easily get a move to the MLS or Saudi probably but I guess money isn't his intention.

Wish him the best for his next adventure.

MegadrivePerson

I didn't even realise he was still playing!

Interesting Walcott fact, the only world cup squad he was ever selected for was the 2006 one when he was 17.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Keown described him as a rolls royce player on Talksport. :lol"

Abraxas

The hype was next level when he came through. Another example of how expectations don't always match reality with young players. I do think he had a lot of talent when he was young, I don't think all the coaches that rated him did so just becasue he could run quick.

There is so much that happens between being 16/17 and becoming a rounded, peaked footballer. Some just don't continue to improve at the expected rate, all their improvement was in the early teenage years taking them ahead of their age groups. The ones that become world class tend to have that continual improvement, he just sort of plateaud at a decent PL level.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
He didn't have that football IQ like some other top young talents. He couldn't really be played anywhere to great effect. Too limited technique for the wing, not the best at making runs and finishing to lead the line. Not a bad player but just too limited to be a great one. I did like him, but he could frustrate sometimes. Also, I think he did lose some time to injuries it seems to me. Every year he was out for 10 games or so and couldn't get back right away into the groove.

Zen

The only genuine performance I remember from him was being on the end of Rooney's best England performance against Croatia...

In fact, my only two memories of him are linked to Rooney... the other being that well, the World Cup call up as the fourth striker when 2 of the ones above him were injured. Not sure why an announcement was needed.

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Theo was decent, his touch and being soft stopped him from becoming a top striker. Still he scored 100+ goals for Arsenal which is a good return. Used his pace well and was clinical in front of goal. He scored some good goals against Chelsea,Spurs and in FA Cup final vs Villa.

Wenger did experiment him as striker but he couldn't hold the ball and then was shunted out as winger. He did have some good games as a winger, but overall his contribution apart from scoring was negligible.