Walking to Old Trafford from Piccadilly Station

Parma Dewol

I've decided that I'm no longer going to fight the traffic and drive into Manchester. Recently moved to Shropshire and can get the train direct to Piccadily Station - takes about an hour and a half but there are no changes so it suits me!

Now that I've booked tickets for the first couple of games, I'm wondering what's the preferred/best route to walk from the station to Old Trafford?

Will probably use the tram in the winter, but while the weather's good I figure walking will save money and provide a bit of exercise! Can anybody recommend a nice, safe route to take, along with a rough estimation of how long it takes?

Thanks in advance!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I've decided that I'm no longer going to fight the traffic and drive into Manchester. Recently moved to Shropshire and can get the train direct to Piccadily Station - takes about an hour and a half but there are no changes so it suits me!

Now that I've booked tickets for the first couple of games, I'm wondering what's the preferred/best route to walk from the station to Old Trafford?

Will probably use the tram in the winter, but while the weather's good I figure walking will save money and provide a bit of exercise! Can anybody recommend a nice, safe route to take, along with a rough estimation of how long it takes?

Thanks in advance!
That's a fair walk that mate. An hour at the very least but more likely around an hour and a half. Can't really suggest any routes though, sorry.

Can you not just get off the train at Salford Crescent rather than Picadilly? Then at least you only have the walk down Trafford road pretty much.

YzWayne

When heading to Old Trafford, try to be slightly earlier then you can avoid the traffic by taking the tram. But when going back, it takes up to 2hours queuing for the tram.

JB7

Wherabouts in Shropshire have you moved to? I live in Shrops and still find it easier to drive, usually head for a meal after the match though to miss most of the traffic - even if we do head straight back we aren't usually in traffic for more than about half an hour.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Done the walk quite often. About 45 minutes going at a pace. There is the direct way or you can walk up the canal...maybe takes nearer an hour.

hebegebe

Don't do it! with the route you'll have to take, you will get propositioned at least twice (male and female) and probably mugged once.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
That's a fair walk that mate. An hour at the very least but more likely around an hour and a half. Can't really suggest any routes though, sorry.

Can you not just get off the train at Salford Crescent rather than Picadilly? Then at least you only have the walk down Trafford road pretty much.
It's not that far mate...unless you're walking with a little un like. Then I.wouldn't!

littlepeasoup

I usually take the Eccles line tram to either Pomona or Exchange Quay from Piccadilly. Sometimes I'll get off at Salford Quays and have a wander to OT from there. Depends how much time you've got before/after the match.

I'm getting into Manchester pretty early before the Swansea game so I'll probably do the latter.

Carl

It's not that far mate...unless you're walking with a little un like. Then I.wouldn't!
Never actually done the walk to be honest so the timings were an estimate based on it being between 3-4 miles away. Fair fecks though, 45mins isn't half bad along the canal. Wouldn't fancy it at night though! :nervous:

I usually take the Eccles line tram to either Pomona or Exchange Quay from Piccadilly. Sometimes I'll get off at Salford Quays and have a wander to OT from there. Depends how much time you've got before/after the match.

I'm getting into Manchester pretty early before the Swansea game so I'll probably do the latter.
Well that's nice 'n' all but has nothing to do with what the OP asked...

Aussie_Red_Devil

Seems like a big walk haha the taxi ride seemed at least 10 mins lol must be at leat an hour or so walk, way to long for me.

Carl

Don't worry - Ravel is safely behind bars at the moment...
Due to be released today actually. So not only was your joke not funny but it was actually incorrect too.. :p

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I know you mentioned saving money and all, but I'd rather pay the £2.00 for the tram!

Besides, whether you get off at Trafford Bar or Old Trafford tram stop, you've still a ten-minute walk to the ground anyway so plenty of opportunity to exercise!

bishblaize

Thanks in advance!
My guess for the simplest route is to come out of the lower exit of the station, turn right down Whitworth St and follow that road til it ends, about a mile and a half. Then turn left (at a bar called Atlas) and that road will take you to Old Trafford, in maybe 2 or 3 miles. However it includes a dual carriageway section that you're not supposed to walk down (but everyone does anyway). You can go round via Chester Road, but it adds to the journey. You're probably looking at about an hour via that route. You could maybe save 10 minutes if you know the area, but personally I wouldn't walk that far unless it was a glorious day and I had time to kill.

As others say, get the tram. Then kill time in the pub.

Ixion

I've done OT to Victoria and it's not that bad, almost a straight line really and took about 50 minutes. I don't mind walking though.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
An hour and a half? ...exactly what speed are some of you walking at?

Last time I walked it was about 45-50 minutes...and that included getting lost.

Unlikely lad

Done it a couple of times, I prefer walking than taking the tram, but my mates never want to :(

bishblaize

Done it a couple of times, I prefer walking than taking the tram, but my mates never want to :(
tbh if you're going down Bridgewater Rd, its just a dull walk along a big main road. Not so bad if you cut through old trafford and hulme, but even then its not exactly interesting. Not sure why you'd want to do it, other than in amazing weather.

Parma Dewol

The time taken to walk it seems to vary between 45 minutes and an hour-and-a-half, but I'd get into the city quite early so wouldn't in too much of a rush. The train doesn't stop anywhere else particularly useful, the calling points are Shrewsbury, Whitchurch, Nantwich, Crewe, Wilmslow, Stockport and then Manchester Piccadilly.

When heading to Old Trafford, try to be slightly earlier then you can avoid the traffic by taking the tram. But when going back, it takes up to 2hours queuing for the tram.
Yeah queuing for the tram on the way back is what puts me off using it, just figure if the weather is reasonable, it'll be 'easier' just to walk.

Wherabouts in Shropshire have you moved to? I live in Shrops and still find it easier to drive, usually head for a meal after the match though to miss most of the traffic - even if we do head straight back we aren't usually in traffic for more than about half an hour.
Live in Church Stretton and I've done the drive a few times and you're right, it is quite an easy route. But this season I'll be heading into Manchester on my own and meeting mates there. I don't really fancy sitting in the car on my own - with the train I can just chill out and read a book or something. That said, there are going to be awkward games when I'll have to drive - the early kick-off against Everton at the start of October is the first one that wouldn't work on the train, I think.

Done the walk quite often. About 45 minutes going at a pace. There is the direct way or you can walk up the canal...maybe takes nearer an hour.
Walk down the canal - I used to do that for mid week matches after work if the weather was nice. Will take an hour from piccadilly.
Just had a look at the map and the canal path actually looks quite nice! Are there usually people about on that route? Sounds much better than the dual carriageway...

Given myself loads of time for most games. Figured I may as well make a day of it each time, so I'm usually going to have a few hours spare either side of the game - useful for stopping somewhere to watch other important games happening on the day.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think I'm leaning toward canal path on a nice day and the tram when the weather's a bit iffy.

Sir A1ex

Just had a look at the map and the canal path actually looks quite nice! Are there usually people about on that route? Sounds much better than the dual carriageway...
Oh, yeah. There are people alright. You might get lucky and not encounter them though.:smirk:

In all seriousness, yes there are a few people, and it's fine in the daylight. I wouldn't do it in the dark though.

Parma Dewol

Just to follow-up on this, my mate and I walked the canal path for the Swansea game. On the way to the stadium we didn't see any fans taking the same route, and it was mostly deserted the whole way - not a problem in the day, but you really wouldn't want to walk down there in the dark. Strange, really, as it could be a good route, the path goes straight from the station to the stadium and is so easy to follow.

On the way back there were more fans walking on the same path and it feels a lot safer when other people are about.

Took us about 50 minutes to get from a to b at a modest pace. Think we'll try walking on the roads next time to see how it compares, but from first impressions, the canal is definitely an option in good light.