War in space

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This is not an idea I've seen regularly discussed or depicted in popular media but will we see the first conflicts in space this century?

Will it be conducted by our current nation states or will they represent some kind of celestial object?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is not an idea I've seen regularly discussed or depicted in popular media but will we see the first conflicts in space this century?

Will it be conducted by our current nation states or will they represent some kind of celestial object?
Its already ongoing now. Satellites able to spy and disable other satellites etc.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
There was that James Bond film where they had a big fight on the space station with moon lasers, and there was that one guy who was even more dangerous than the moon lasers because he had the power of biting people with his teeth.

This is the problem with wars in space, you go through all the fuss of creating interplanetary travel and weaponry, carting it all up there, and then some geezer just turns up and bites you on the arm really badly.

Other problems with wars in space:
- Wouldn't know if you were holding your moon laser upside down or not, because you might be upside down.
- Space is very big. You could fire a nuke at someone and they can just stand far enough away to move out of the way or have evolved into a form of non matter based consciousness before it arrives.
- Time is space, which would make it a time war and then you'd get sued by Doctor Who.
- Americans would still accidentally bomb a hospital.
- If aliens got involved we'd probably lose. We're actually not very good at wars. We have multiple countries that have managed to end up losing a war against themselves. Australia literally lost a war against some Emus that didn't even now there was a war going on.

lilcurt

Depends what you mean by war, in terms or satellite coverage around the planet that is somewhat already played out.

The idea of war in space seems a long way off. Wars tend to be fought over territory, to do that you need something to claim, a reason to claim it and the ability to defend it.

Therefore until we are somewhat capable of colonising planets with a degree of regularity I don't see conflict being an issue, it will also more likely be achieved by private enterprise than nations in the future. In the space age I foresee corporations being bigger players than nations. Afterall, how silly does it seem to worry about nationality when you're not even on the planet.

Bert_

Depends what you mean by war, in terms or satellite coverage around the planet that is somewhat already played out.

The idea of war in space seems a long way off. Wars tend to be fought over territory, to do that you need something to claim, a reason to claim it and the ability to defend it.

Therefore until we are somewhat capable of colonising planets with a degree of regularity I don't see conflict being an issue, it will also more likely be achieved by private enterprise than nations in the future. In the space age I foresee corporations being bigger players than nations. Afterall, how silly does it seem to worry about nationality when you're not even on the planet.
Yes, the first space war will be fought on the moon between Megacorp 1 and Megacorp A over mineral rights. I've watched enough scifi stuff to know its inevitable!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The issue of space junk being knocked off its orbit and then that cascading disaster as depicted in the movie Gravity always fascinates me. There is a possibility that such a disaster could make it incredibly difficult to launch into space. Weapons in space seems like a ridiculously stupid idea to me