Was Andreas Pirlo underrated?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Always thought he was limited in terms of anything other than passing, which he was the one of the best in the world at for much of his career. Needed to have workers in midfield around him to cover for his lack of physical attributes.

In a system that suited him, he was one of the best in the world but ultimately I thought he was one dimensional. Rated guys like Schweinstiger, who had a much more rounded game and could play multiple positions, higher.

His hair was amazing though, suited his style of play as well :D

Devil81

Pirlo, Seedorf, Nedved, Scholes, Xavi, Iniesta and Zidane.

Those players off the top of my head were worth gate fee's alone. Just a complete joy to watch with a ball at their feet. Scousers will say Gerrard and yes he was unbelievable but I don't believe he could control a football and dictate a game in the way the players I've mentioned could. I might be being a bit kind on Nedved but I loved watching him play.

I'm sure I've missed a few world-class players out but the names I've mentioned were a joy to behold during my years supporting.

POF

Very similar story to the Scholes revisionism.

They both won everything in amazing teams in their prime, and were un-droppable, but were not the "glamour" players for their respective teams so weren't spoke about as greats at the time.

Then once all the Beckhams had moved on, they were a throwback to those classic teams and importantly still performing in elite teams, and could play breathtaking long passes that the fans and pundits loved. The pundits were also important, because by the time the pair of them were 35, most new pundits had played with or against them, or knew someone that had, so each game you would have a familiar player in the studio going "playing with Scholes is the easiest job" etc.

Both players are absolute legends and deserve their spot in footballing history, but do get a small amount of inflation due to the timing and longevity of their careers.
Really good post. I hadn't thought of the pundit factor but that is a really good point.

Pirlo is a really difficult player to compare with his peers because he played such a unique role. He was one of the first players to play in front of the back 4 who was awful defensively. So, his team had to surround him with workhorses (Gattuso/Amrosini or Vidal/Marchisio) to cover.

But on the ball he was fantastic. His passing range was incredible. Right up there with the best in his era. He didn't control games to the same level as Xavi (I've not seen anyone else who has) but he was definitely in the tier below on the ball.

In a very ordinary Italian national team that lacked quality, he was a really key player.