Was it a penalty?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The one on Harry Kane? Yep, was a stonewall pen.

JB7

How in the world is it a dive? Even if you people don't think it's a penalty, there is clear contact from two defenders before he goes down. It certainly wasn't a "clear and obvious error" from the official. Honestly the bitterness levels are ridiculous.

Withnail

It was as much of a penalty as the Damsgaard free kick in my eyes
Absolutely. Both decisions could easily have gone the other way.

The one on Harry Kane? Yep, was a stonewall pen.
The one where Kane kicked the defender before jumping to the ground? You may need to watch that back. :lol:

How in the world is it a dive? Even if you people don't think it's a penalty, there is clear contact from two defenders before he goes down. It certainly wasn't a "clear and obvious error" from the official. Honestly the bitterness levels are ridiculous.
How in the world is it not a dive? Clear contact? He's barely touched by the.first guy and on his way down before he touches the second. Take off the blinkers ffs

JB7

How in the world is it not a dive? Clear contact? He's barely touched by the.first guy and on his way down before he touches the second. Take off the blinkers ffs
The only blinkered ones are people like you calling it a dive. The second touch upper leg to upper leg is more than enough for a penalty in the modern game, it's no different to half the penalties United have been winning over the last 18 months that everyone on here has been lapping up.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The one where Kane kicked the defender before jumping to the ground? You may need to watch that back. :lol:
It was a stonewall pen. Maybe you should take off your green blinkers.

alexthelion

It was a pen but it was soft, just like the free kick the Danes scored from. Why is noone accusing them of cheating to score a goal?

Withnail

The only blinkered ones are people like you calling it a dive. The second touch upper leg to upper leg is more than enough for a penalty in the modern game, it's no different to half the penalties United have been winning over the last 18 months that everyone on here has been lapping up.
Wow this is possibly the most deluded post I've read in a while. Fair play you deserved to win but take off the England specs. The fact that you're even describing it as a 'touch' says it all.

I can't recall United getting a penalty as soft as that ever. Touches don't cause players to hit the deck ffs :lol:

Show me where the foul happened

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Another sterling special. He should join the British diving team in Tokyo. He’d knock Tom Daley right off his perch.
Can you imagine the uproar if it was the Danes that got that one.

JB7

Wow this is possibly the most deluded post I've read in a while. Fair play you deserved to win but take off the England specs. The fact that you're even describing it as a 'touch' says it all.

I can't recall United getting a penalty as soft as that ever. Touches don't cause players to hit the deck ffs :lol:

Show me where the foul happened

Can't imagine why you've used that angle. How about this angle, with added comments from a former Premier League striker with no reason to be biased.

As for United, we literally got a penalty for Bruno fouling a Villa player at one point during lockdown.

Withnail

Can't imagine why you've used that angle. How about this angle, with added comments from a former Premier League striker with no reason to be biased.

As for United, we literally got a penalty for Bruno fouling a Villa player at one point during lockdown.
In either angle it's no more than a brush. You described it as a 'touch' yourself.

A touch is not enough to make a player go down and does not constitute a foul.

Good to see you call out United players for making the most out of situations in the box but not City players.

JB7

In either angle it's no more than a brush. You described it as a 'touch' yourself.

A touch is not enough to make a player go down and does not constitute a foul.

Good to see you call out United players for making the most out of situations in the box but not City players.
I don't see how you don't go down when you're running into the box and get contact on both legs from two defenders. Anyone saying you stay up in that situation clearly hasn't played football to any standard. He'd be an idiot not to not have gone down in that situation.

And no, I have no issue with United players making the most of contact in the box. If something knocks you out of your stride however minimal, you have to go down or you get nothing.

Point is, whether you think it's a penalty or not is up to you, but it quite clearly is not a dive.

Withnail

I don't see how you don't go down when you're running into the box and get contact on both legs from two defenders. Anyone saying you stay up in that situation clearly hasn't played football to any standard. He'd be an idiot not to not have gone down in that situation.

And no, I have no issue with United players making the most of contact in the box. If something knocks you out of your stride however minimal, you have to go down or you get nothing.
Touch, making the most of contact, idiot not to do down... So we agree, he dived.

USREDEVIL

It was a pen but it was soft, just like the free kick the Danes scored from. Why is noone accusing them of cheating to score a goal?
I'm with you. There was contact in the box that could arguably put off Sterling's run, especially as it looks like he was off center already. Eggshell plaintiff if you get my drift.

berbasloth4

lads football is horrendus if sterling was touched like that in the pub he wouldnt have fell down.

he won the penalty. do what ya have to to win

JB7

Touch, making the most of contact, idiot not to do down... So we agree, he dived.
We don't agree at all. If there is contact from two defenders in the same movement, it is not a dive. If there had been no contact from either of those defenders, then we would agree it was dive. If one of them had made contact and the other missed then I'd say he's made the most of it. If there is contact from both, it's a foul. If you're too blinkered to see that then that's on you.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Obviously not.

There was contact though, so those who said there wasn't (as Kevin Doyle seemed to be responding to above) are definitely wrong.

As for whether it's a dive, that depends on how you define "dive" I suppose. Some people think making the most of very minimal contact isn't quite diving, others think it is.

Jam

No but we’ll take it, had far worse decisions go against us at major tournaments before.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It would be bad if that was called in a blowout game during a league season but you can't ever call that in extra time of a Euros semifinal that's tied...

If the game was played anywhere else I don't think it gets given at all either. The stage was too big for this ref.

Italy will take advantage of the controversy too in the final, no doubt that they'll dive inside the box at every opportunity.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Obviously not.

There was contact though, so those who said there wasn't (as Kevin Doyle seemed to be responding to above) are definitely wrong.

As for whether it's a dive, that depends on how you define "dive" I suppose. Some people think making the most of very minimal contact isn't quite diving, others think it is.
This nails it.

Contact but definitely not enough contact for a penalty.

He made a wrong judgement call initially and then basically just didn't have the balls to reverse the call. Playing at Wembley might have helped England in that.

Withnail

We don't agree at all. If there is contact from two defenders in the same movement, it is not a dive. If there had been no contact from either of those defenders, then we would agree it was dive. If one of them had made contact and the other missed then I'd say he's made the most of it. If there is contact from both, it's a foul. If you're too blinkered to see that then that's on you.
A brush from the first and he's on his way down when whatever contact happens with the second. It's the softest penalty I've seen in a while.

All you've done is use words which are used as euphemisms for diving. Quite noticeable you never once said tackle or foul but yeah I'm the blinkered one. Good night.