Was it a penalty?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I am delighted but can anyone make a serious case for that not being a penalty. What do we think ?

Wilt

Obvious pen, Onana was nowhere near the ball

arnie_ni

Yes. The same way the martinez one against us last year should have been

Morpheus 7

It was 100 percent a pen, the ref has to go to screen. Crazy, delighted but they were robbed.

edgecutter

Happens every week and never gets called for a penalty. Dodgy decision making by Onana but i didn't think it was a pen.

Ace of Spades

No.

Their keeper clattered into Antony as well, so if one is a pen, so is the other.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I feel like keepers are quite regularly doing things like that and more often than the attacker is given a penalty, the keeper is awarded a free kick.

PSV

Not sure if it is, but pretty sure it should be.

Oddboy

It was, but we never get given them so I don't feel guilty. Always thought goalkeepers get far too much leeway with those types of challenges.

Trex

It would be if he stopped the player from winning the header but that's not what happened. Plus both his arms went either side of the wolves player.

LARulz

Honestly I don't even know. At first I thought no as he didn't lead with his fists implying he tried to pull out/minimize damage but then thought it was cos he obviously missed the ball

Roboc7

It should be but rarely do you see the goalkeeper penalised for that type of challenge.

Spaghetti

Mom's
It happened in the Brentford v Spurs game, the player shot (I think it was Mbeumo) and the keeper took him out. There was no drama or hissyfits about it.

Irwin99

I was expecting it to be given to be honest. It's hardly the worst foul you'll ever see but you never know these days :nervous: . The only things that saved him were he didn't catch him in the face with his gloves and the ball had gone before the contact.

Thom Merrilin

Not sure how anyone can argue it shouldn't be a pen. So what if other keepers get away with it, those incidents should be pens too.

El Zoido

The ball had gone by the time Onana got there. It was nothing. It’s not like he’d have scored if he hadn’t been clattered.

AaronRedDevil

Why WASN'T it given? Was it because they already headed the ball away so Onana didn't effect what happens after that?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Was very similar to the Vicario incident yesterday

VAR review: It's a question that's asked regularly: Why can a defender or goalkeeper take out an attacking player after they have released the shot? It's effectively an unwritten law that if a player completes the action of the shot, then there will be no foul unless it crosses the line to be reckless or dangerous.

In this case, Vicario was coming forward to make a genuine attempt to play the ball and it's judged that the players came together as natural football contact; there's nothing the player could have done to avoid the coming together.

Last season Éderson was adjudged to have fouled Arsenal forward Eddie Nketiah when coming out from goal, the difference being the Manchester City goalkeeper had no realistic chance of playing the ball in the way he challenged and was more likely to get the opponent than the ball. They are small but crucial interpretations -- is the collision inevitable or has the goalkeeper made sure the contact takes place?

Strelok

No it was not.

He's in his 6 yards box. Keepers are very protected and have extra privileges in that box. No ref gonna give a pen if a keeper collides with opponent players inside the box catching a cross. Unless he hit the said opponent player in the face/head I think.

PTSTSL

Definitely a penalty, also Onana would have definitely saved it. So who cares?!