Was Sanchez our worst ever transfer?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Interesting, maybe I'm wrong then.

Sanchez must be loving life, rest of his contract paid and onto a new one.

Why would we do that and not just loan him again? Inter would surely cover 50% again and even if no one did we could just ship him off and cover 100% if it came down to it?

Edit: apparently a partial payout which makes sense.
Rest of his contract is not paid out. It's a small pay out, Inter spread his 2 year wages into 3 years at 7 million net, so he will make 21 million net + signing on fee + Small payout from Manutd,

sp_107

Rest of his contract is not paid out. It's a small pay out, Inter spread his 2 year wages into 3 years at 7 million net, so he will make 21 million net + signing on fee + Small payout from Manutd,

Anyone knows the full details? If we really paid even some % money of his next 2 years contract then it is really disappointing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Anyone knows the full details? If we really paid even some % money of his next 2 years contract then it is really disappointing.
His contract was reported by Di Marzio, saying it's 7 million net and 3 year contract. Di Marzio also said by giving him free transfer, Manutd saved 60 million in wages owed to Sanchez.

We won't be saving those if we paid his entire contract. Also Guardian stated it's a small payout.

shaky

Certainly wouldn’t put Schweinsteiger in there. I could name 10 worse transfers that that. Bloody hell, let’s find 10!

Bebe
Taibi
Lukuku
Depay
Darmian
Valdes
Rojo
Kleberson
Falcao
Zaha
Bosnich
Djemba x 2
Liam Miller
Tosic

I don’t think those are too debatable, I’d also add Veron and Lukuku.

The first two of Sanchez and Di Maria are the biggest mistakes we have ever made.
I'd debate Zaha and Depay being bad signings. I'd say they were decent signings that our managers failed to make the most of. You can add Schneiderlin to the list though.

The Purley King

When Di Maria left very few of us showed any good will towards him, and we still do not like him one bit. There was a perception that he never really tried for us.

I think with Sanchez most of us just feel a bit sorry for him (despite his salary). He definitely tried, but it was like he was running in treacle with Luke Shaw on his back. It was like watching a old dog who can’t understand why his back legs can no longer support him.

In summary, Di Maria was his fault, Sanchez was our fault. I think that makes Di Maria worse.
Sums up my feelings pretty accurately.
Objectively he's probably the worst transfer in English football history. Torres to Chelsea might be up there and Andy Carroll to pool.
There are a few stories that he's a bit of a loner, doesn't make any effort to fit in etc, but cannot fault his effort. He tried hard, he's just done in.

Nickelodeon

Woodward wanted 20m for him in July, then 15, now he is leaving for free.
Inter can't match his wages at United so his valuation at 15m is used to make up the wage difference. This isn't rocket science.
Do you not understand that the 15 million which is being foregone is not going to Sanchez? Sanchez earned 500k roughly at United. At Inter, he will earn 325-350k. Which means there's roughly a differential of 150k a week. There have been certain situations where the selling club has had to continue paying that differential for the remainder of that contract. Fortunately for us, that isn't the case.

Eire Red United

Yes. To add insult to injury as well he knocked Rashford/Martial out of the team, Martial especially was flying at the time.

Nickelodeon

His contract was reported by Di Marzio, saying it's 7 million net and 3 year contract. Di Marzio also said by giving him free transfer, Manutd saved 60 million in wages owed to Sanchez.

We won't be saving those if we paid his entire contract. Also Guardian stated it's a small payout.
I believe the small payout would be the loyalty bonus part of his contract which is normally given when a player is sold without a transfer request.

UpWithRivers

When Di Maria left very few of us showed any good will towards him, and we still do not like him one bit. There was a perception that he never really tried for us.

I think with Sanchez most of us just feel a bit sorry for him (despite his salary). He definitely tried, but it was like he was running in treacle with Luke Shaw on his back. It was like watching a old dog who can’t understand why his back legs can no longer support him.

In summary, Di Maria was his fault, Sanchez was our fault. I think that makes Di Maria worse.
Totally disagree. Tried hard! What? He did absolute jack. He had no fight. No leadership skills. Nothing. He did Nothing. Both on and off the pitch. We needed leaders. We were crying out for the experienced players to stand up and guide us through troubled times. Where was he? Even if his form was bad he could have been an influential presence. He wasnt. He literally robbed us of millions and destroyed our wage structure and caused unrest in the dressing room. Insular. Sad. Like there are two Sanchez's. Are all comments made about him. And thats what we saw. A player for wahtever reason just looked like he never wanted to be at Utd. Looked like was depressed and ready to sit around taking a fat paycheck. How anybody still has afections for a man that did this to the club is beyond me.

Red Royal

Totally disagree. Tried hard! What? He did absolute jack. He had no fight. No leadership skills. Nothing. He did Nothing. Both on and off the pitch. We needed leaders. We were crying out for the experienced players to stand up and guide us through troubled times. Where was he? Even if his form was bad he could have been an influential presence. He wasnt. He literally robbed us of millions and destroyed our wage structure and caused unrest in the dressing room. Insular. Sad. Like there are two Sanchez's. Are all comments made about him. And thats what we saw. A player for wahtever reason just looked like he never wanted to be at Utd. Looked like was depressed and ready to sit around taking a fat paycheck. How anybody still has afections for a man that did this to the club is beyond me.
He did play a mean Piano..

Andy_Cole

Harsh considering he only cost around £6million. Seeing an all time midfield great in a United shirt for that price was wholesome enough to excuse his forgettable time here.
Think it was just my personal disappointment. I thought we were getting the best midfielder in the world. But we were a holiday camp for him.

Fracture90

Yes. To add insult to injury as well he knocked Rashford/Martial out of the team, Martial especially was flying at the time.
One can even say Martial didn't get to go to the World Cup due to Mourinho and his persistence with Sanches..

Schneckerl

Different era: Garry Birtles was a big flop from what I've read about it on here. Hard to compare, but probably not as bad as Alexis.

Amerifan

In terms of player talent and ability: not a terrible transfer.
In terms of team fit and impact on salary structure: worst ever.

EwanI Ted

Given the amount of money involved, probably. Bang for buck it’s hard to see who could be worse. There have been worse players in terms of talent, but not anyone that cost us north of £100m all told for a handful of mediocre performances.

Superunknown

That's insane.

He's certainly our worst high profile transfer. Can't think of many moments where he looked comfortable in a United shirt. Just a huge disappointment, tbh. He is The Phantom Menace of transfers in the football world and even that had the podracing scenes.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Nah Lukaku for £75 million was worse for me, at least with Sánchez he was a top player so the intent was there. The wages were high of course but I doubt Lukaku was earning pittance on top of his ridiculous price tag.

He really was that bad.

Clearly the cost magnified it. But it’s in the top few worst transfers in modern football in the UK.

Nah Lukaku for £75 million was worse for me, at least with Sánchez he was a top player so the intent was there. The wages were high of course but I doubt Lukaku was earning pittance on top of his ridiculous price tag.
Shocking transfer as well, and as much as I think Lukuku was a very poor transfer, it doesn’t come close to Sanchez.

At least we managed to get money for a Lukuku, yes we made a loss, but nothing like the loss on Sanchez.

matsdf

We got $74 million back so I don't see how this possibly could be worse.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He won't have taken a pay cut on what he was due over the next 2 years. If Inter haven't made up the difference with a signing on fee then we will have.

Yes is the answer.

Gopher Brown

I felt like he tried when he played but he is so broken physically and mentally that he was unable to have any impact whatsoever. I don’t have any malice towards him, the club were absolute eejits to give him that contract and to sign him in the first place, and how much of his signing was an attempt to ‘humiliate’ City?
He didn’t destroy our wage structure or rob us, the club did that.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, money spent + actual contributions = absolute dogshit. If he isn't THE worst, he's certainly right up there.

Raw

No doubts for me, he's quite easily our worst ever transfer. Di Maria, while he is a complete twat, still contributed to 4 goals and 12 assists in 2017 minutes. That's a contribution every 126 minutes under a manager who had no idea what to do with him our any of our attack for that matter.

Sanchez however scored 5 and assisted 9 in 2781 minutes. A contribution every 199 minutes. So statistically he was worse. But financially he blew our wage structure to bits, he was hyped far more than Di Maria and his arrival fecked Martial so bad he almost left the club. And to be frank, I'm going to remember Di Maria's goal v Leicester (that we bloody lost anyway) than anything Sanchez has done for us.

The only redeeming factor Sanchez has over Di Maria was that he at least seemed like a nice guy.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I take it he'll be available if we have to pay Inter in the europa...can we trust him to have a horror. Have to admit, when we signed him, I really thought we'd done another Van Persie. Still trying to work out what the hell happened and did Arsenal send us his twin brother... :mad:
You can't stop a loanee facing his parent club in Europe (Tibo vs us, Jovic vs Benfica) so he'd have been available to face you regardless.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
We got $74 million back so I don't see how this possibly could be worse.
Yes but I also had to suffer through 2 years of absolute shite performances, at least with Sánchez we didn’t have to see him wasting space.

fps

I will never question Sanchez's application in being determined to be a success here. He really did run himself into the ground but his key footballing attributes/skillset just seemed to escape him completely.
Much like Rooney I guess.
100% like Rooney, he ran himself into the ground in his years of intense play and for those shorter players apart from Ribery I can’t think of too many who did that and had long careers, the latter never being a goal scoring monster either. Messi obvs but he’s different.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Think he might be the worst signing in the history of the Premier League. Probably there’s someone worse but he’s up there. Even Di Maria had some real brilliance early in his United career. Falcao was only on loan and was gone after a year. Sánchez is the worst.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We spend big on transfers or wages and get very little in return and this doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.

In Rainbows

Not sure how anyone could say Di Maria was worse. We actually sold Di Maria for a good amount and statistically outperformed Sanchez, while being on smaller wages. Take your feelings out of this equation. Its clear Sanchez was the worst.

£56.70m we sold Di Maria for. No way was he worse.