Was that the worst game in your lifetime?

Eurotrash

In terms of embarrassment, Sundays 0-5 was the worst of all time. But in terms of disappointment it was not really, as I didn't have any hopes for a result.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Nah, I expected us to be shit and we were shit and got what we deserved. It hurts but it's what should have happened.

The game that hurts me to this day is when we lost to Arsenal in the fa cup final on pens. They had like one shot on target and we battered then for 115 minutes.

Then they won on pens :(

reddevilz007

Sunday was pretty bad, considering all of our star players were available except for Varane, and we had home advantage.

Liverpool let off the gas pedal after Pogba was dismissed, and they started a passing-possession drill for the last 30 mins. We’re talking about a third of the game where we’re being toyed around.

The worse thing is that Ole started the exact same group of players that went down 2-0 pathetically to Atalanta just days before, a club that’s not even in the top 10 European clubs. He didn’t learn anything, it’s just incompetency at its finest.

The Oracle

The most I have been disappointed with the result:
Premier League 94/95
West Ham 1-1 Man Utd

The most I have been disappointed with the players:
Premier League 21/22
Man Utd 0-5 Liverpool

The West Ham one really hurt.

With regards the Liverpool match, we had beaten Liverpool at Anfield 5-0 back in 1946, so it may have taken them 75 years, but fair play to them for finally getting us back.
The players attitude and complete lack of effort against Liverpool though was completely unforgivable. None of them deserve to wear the shirt.

Rooney24

This. It was the definition of being put in your place.

We'll never have anything like this in return
Exactly. Its a once in a lifetime result and in all our lifetimes we will most likely never experience the same - winning 0-5 at Anfield.

They have one over us forever basically.

The Oracle

Exactly. Its a once in a lifetime result and in all our lifetimes we will most likely never experience the same - winning 0-5 at Anfield.

They have one over us forever basically.
Are you aware of the ultimate one we have over them?

1977 FA Cup Final
Liverpool 1-2 Manchester United

They had won the league, and were already in the European Cup Final.
They were on course to win the 'Holy Grail' of English club football... The League, the Cup, and the European Cup

We stopped them from achieving that.

22 years later we went on to become the 1st and only English team to achieve the feat (a record that still stands to this day)

You are also aware that in 1946 we went to Anfield and beat them 5-0*
So it may not have been in your lifetime, but it is in the history of the club.

When you count trophies, you count them from the whole history of the club.
When you count the highest goalscorers, you count them from the whole history of the club.
When you count highest appearance makers, you count them from the whole history of the club.

Why should results be any different?

*and just to rub salt into the wounds, in the very next match against them we beat them 5-0 again! (Actually at Maine Road, due to the extensive damage done to Old Trafford during The War)

Last edited:

MrBest

0-5 ? At home, to Liverpool? Somehow that is not as bad as a 4-4 draw?
Very odd way of thinking.
5 nil was embarrassing, the 4 4, we threw it away and City won their first league on goal diff. All ifs and buts, but that's how i thought of it.

G4stars

Losing to Madrid in 2013 in CL, with the Nani red card that was never a red card. Sir Alex's last season and he was robbed, could of won it that year.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Losing to Madrid in 2013 in CL, with the Nani red card that was never a red card. Sir Alex's last season and he was robbed, could of won it that year.
That was down to bad luck. At least we did play some good football during the game.
Watching last Sunday would make you want to give up.
It was that bad.

Moriarty

Hard to isolate one particular game but I'd say Palace away in 1972 was pretty bad as was Ipswich away in 1980. Last Sunday's result is probably on a par with them.

Loony BoB

For me it's generally less about what the opposition do to us and more about what we don't do to the opposition. I'm pretty sure I recall a game where we only had one shot on goal, and losing to lower teams in the league when the title is on the line always hurts me more than losing to an incredibly good team with an incredibly good manager who are clearly better than us. I mean that still hurts, don't get me wrong, but not as much as watching us do nothing against people we should be steamrolling. Especially when we don't seem to even try. I recall a Sunderland 0-0 that had me absolutely infuriated quite a few years back.

RedElf

Has to rank as one of the worst defeats. Post covid lock down and the crowds are back inside the ground to watch that performance, its was criminal.

Ibi Dreams

The loss to Liverpool is certainly one of the worst I can remember. Having said that, I didn't care half as much as I did about some of those other games in the past. I fully expected us to get spanked and when it happened I felt like I was watching it as an outsider, not a United fan. So abject that I couldn't bring myself to feel anything but apathy

big rons sovereign

Actually being there, has to be 0-0 PSV or 0-0 city under LVG. What a load of shit.
Or losing 3-0 at villa.

Not there has to be the 1-4 against the vermin. The camera kissing twat.

Or the 1-5 at city.
Oh and the 3-5 at Leicester. It was so obvious that twattenburg was bent after that.

The Oracle

The loss to Liverpool is certainly one of the worst I can remember. Having said that, I didn't care half as much as I did about some of those other games in the past. I fully expected us to get spanked and when it happened I felt like I was watching it as an outsider, not a United fan. So abject that I couldn't bring myself to feel anything but apathy
I completely understand.

What was the match?
A league game

What was it worth?
3 points

Was it a title decider?
No

Did either team add to their trophy haul at the final whistle?
No

The Oracle

Actually being there, has to be 0-0 PSV or 0-0 city under LVG. What a load of shit.
Or losing 3-0 at villa.

Not there has to be the 1-4 against the vermin. The camera kissing twat.

Or the 1-5 at city.
Oh and the 3-5 at Leicester. It was so obvious that twattenburg was bent after that.
I agree that felt worse due to how unexpected it was. Luckily for us we still went on to win the league that season, stopping them in the process :)
Also that team contained a lot of players of theirs that I will politely say I wasn't fond of.

Actually being there has to be the 2-3 Real Madrid, with a large part of the disappointment being felt for Roy Keane as he was desperate to make it past Madrid to have a chance at making it to a Final that he missed out on the previous season through suspension.
Of course matters weren't helped when he put through his own net to give Real a precious away goal... and a lot of confidence to go on and win the match, and go through.

MUFC07

I think almost all of them have been covered or most of them. But this last one is possibly the worst along with the 1-6. Only way we could get back at them would be doing the same at Anfield for a title decider or European late-stage KO and that won't happen, I don't think during our lifetimes at least or not within the foreseeable future. That's the worst part.

I will throw in the 1-2 v Portsmouth in the FA Cup 2008, should have been a treble run and I can't get it into my head how we didn't score that day. Arsenal FA Cup final 2004 was also tough because we absolutely battered them for almost 120 mins and didn't score.

Boro away that made Keano throw a rant that would be the end of him was also so strangely hurtful because it was a spineless team that day... and we weren't used to that hahaha now it'd just be Saturday

Von Mistelroum

Some of those were awful to take at the time, but mostly came as a shock and were not an indication that we were weak. The things that made the most recent one the worst by far for me were:

1. Non-competitive - this wasn’t a match that just got away from us. We were easily handled as though we were minnows facing a giant.

2. Humiliation - after going 0-5 down Liverpool very clearly took their foot off the gas and played in first gear like it was a friendly. Blatantly not needing to try too hard and most likely attempting to avoid humiliating us too badly which was ironically even more humiliating.

3. Expense - our incredibly, ridiculously expensive put together squad of world class players makes this defeat even worse than if it was a lower table side that hadn’t spent hundreds of millions on players.

4. comedy - with the Gary Neville japery, the comedic display by many of our players and Ole apparently wanting to go 4:4:2 with only 10 players we look like a complete joke.

5. Home turf - it was at OT and vs our most bitter rivals.

Lee565

Yes, when we got beat by large margins in the past it was by teams almost fully strengthened, we got thrashed by a team with a midfield of keita, Milner and henderson and to make matters worse they treated almost the entire second half like a training match, it was downright embarrassing.

Yik

Some of those were awful to take at the time, but mostly came as a shock and were not an indication that we were weak. The things that made the most recent one the worst by far for me were:

1. Non-competitive - this wasn’t a match that just got away from us. We were easily handled as though we were minnows facing a giant.

2. Humiliation - after going 0-5 down Liverpool very clearly took their foot off the gas and played in first gear like it was a friendly. Blatantly not needing to try too hard and most likely attempting to avoid humiliating us too badly which was ironically even more humiliating.

3. Expense - our incredibly, ridiculously expensive put together squad of world class players makes this defeat even worse than if it was a lower table side that hadn’t spent hundreds of millions on players.

4. comedy - with the Gary Neville japery, the comedic display by many of our players and Ole apparently wanting to go 4:4:2 with only 10 players we look like a complete joke.

5. Home turf - it was at OT and vs our most bitter rivals.
All valid points.

It was like an acid trip gone bad tbh for me sat in the Stretford End. Especially that first half - I think I just had my head in my hands for most of the half or I'd look back at the scoreboard every now and then - out of morbid curiousity - It's like when we beat Roma 7 - 1, the scoreboard just looked odd - like it had glitched out or something.

Cloud7

The worst game in my lifetime was the 09 CL final loss to Barcelona. We had the best United team I’ve watched in my lifetime, reigning champions, and then we were dominated and outplayed in a way that I had never seen before. This was so painful because realistically it was as strong a team as we could have put out at any point in my time as a United fan (No I do not buy that if Fletcher was available it would have made a difference) and we were simply outpassed and outplayed by a superior team.

The second worst was the 11 CL final, which was supposed to be our chance at revenge even if our team was weaker, and we ended up being even more dominated and outplayed.

A couple league games can never compare to those.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Any one of the 0-0 borefests under LVG were worse because I hated them so much.

Not that I ever want to lose but in some ways Sunday was a welcome dash of cold water in the faces of the more credulous fans in a way that a last minute 2-1 defeat would not have been. In that sense at least Sunday achieved something.

cletus7

The pain from that game felt self-inflicted through crazy pitch antics and malcoaching (if that’s a word) … It’s felt much worse when the team has been outclassed by Man City in the past.

FatTails

Embarrassment and how bad we were yes. I think Liverpool could’ve easily scored another 2-3 goals if they wanted to in the last 30 minutes. It wasn’t a 0-5 game and it could’ve been a lot worse.

In terms of disappointment, no. 2009 UCL final probably was the most disappointing, followed by Madrid in the UCL when Nani was sent off, and then the 2011 final.

Classical Mechanic

3-1 vs Barca 2011. Completely outclassed in the CL final. With the Liverpool game last weekend, at least we‘re used to major disappointments these days. They happen every season in one form or another. Think of the Europa League final penalty shootout just a few months ago. Tragicomedy is what we do these days.

Frank Grimes

3-1 vs Barca 2011. Completely outclassed in the CL final. With the Liverpool game last weekend, at least we‘re used to major disappointments these days. They happen every season in one form or another. Think of the Europa League final penalty shootout just a few months ago. Tragicomedy is what we do these days.
People say this about that 2011 final but I was much more disappointed with the 2009 final. Barca in 2011 were amazing and I felt that it would take a minor miracle to beat them. I remember looking at the betting odds before the game and Barca were 10/11 or something very similar, I genuinely thought it was the best price I'd ever seen as they should have been closer to 1/3. If I hadn't been a United fan I would have lumped on.

choccy77

Barca were on a different level then, but we should have beaten them in the final before, that was a depressing day.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I completely understand.

What was the match?
A league game

What was it worth?
3 points

Was it a title decider?
No

Did either team add to their trophy haul at the final whistle?
No
It’s more than just 3 points when you play Liverpool.What about prestige? Confidence?
These games are an end in themselves .
We have spent big and we can’t give our most hated rivals a game.
How sad is that?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Not the past Liverpool game really. In fact I'm happy that it's probably going to get Ole the sack which has been a long time coming. Worst was probably the CL final losses.

Zed 101

Not the worst game by a stretch, going into that game anyone who wasn't expecting a sound drubbing was deluded, and in actuality we had stone cold chances to get probably 3 goals 1st half as bad as we were we could have gone in 4-3, there were games last season and this where we have failed to have any creativity in the game that I found more disheartening than the Liverpool defeat

The worst thing about the Liverpool defeat is the thick Liverpool fans who see it as anything but what it was

The City and Barca defeats stand out for me at times when we should have been better, given a better account of ourselves and were just flaccid, and those were under SAF, the Bayern away collapse also stung

The Oracle

It’s more than just 3 points when you play Liverpool.What about prestige? Confidence?
These games are an end in themselves .
We have spent big and we can’t give our most hated rivals a game.
How sad is that?
There are many ways to look at things.
The way I analysed the result was like this...
When you dish something out against someone, you have to be prepared to take it back.

We recorded our biggest ever win at Anfield 75 years ago when we won 5-0 on 16th February 1946
On Sunday Liverpool recorded their biggest ever win at Old Trafford with the same score.
The biggest surprise? It took them that long to do so.

You mention about prestige, and it is easy to see where our prestige comes from by looking at what we did before anyone else:
1st English team to win the European Cup
1st English team to win the Champions League
1st English team to win the Premier League
1st English team to win the Club World Cup
1st English team to win the most difficult Treble there is

A lot of fans are not aware of one of the most significant matches ever between Manchester United and Liverpool:
In 1977 Liverpool was on course to win the elusive ‘Holy Grail’ in English club football.
The League, the FA Cup, and the European Cup

They had already won the League, and they were through to the final of the European Cup. They then met us.
Manchester United beat them 2-1 in the FA Cup Final and ended their dreams.

We all know what happened 22 years later... we won the elusive ‘Holy Grail’ and in doing so we became the first and only English club to achieve the feat of winning the League, the FA Cup, and the European Cup in the same season (a record that still stands to this day).

We have climbed Mount Everest.
Liverpool never has.

You can now fully begin to see why Liverpool are not us, and why we are not Liverpool.

In a nutshell the difference between the two football clubs is this:
Manchester United always lead the way..
Liverpool only ever follows after us.

lawliet354

You can now fully begin to see why Liverpool are not us, and why we are not Liverpool.

In a nutshell the difference between the two football clubs is this:
Manchester United always lead the way..
Liverpool only ever follows after us.
To be able to act like a smug elitist after 5-0 defeat is surely one way to cope