Wayne Rooney Interview

flameinthesun

Thought his comments on ferguson were interesting, that rooney wanted to leave to city because he felt the club were declining. They had sold tevez, then ronaldo and not brought in adequate replacements. Then said Fergie left a few years later because he also realised the club was declining. Obviously biased from Rooney's view but interesting nonetheless.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Thought his comments on ferguson were interesting, that rooney wanted to leave to city because he felt the club were declining. They had sold tevez, then ronaldo and not brought in adequate replacements. Then said Fergie left a few years later because he also realised the club was declining. Obviously biased from Rooney's view but interesting nonetheless.
It's disingenuous to say Fergie left because we were on the slide after having given more than 20 years of his life to the club. In Fergie's autobiography he mentioned that his sister-in-law had died and he intended to retire a season earlier but wanted to go out as a champion after the disappointment of the 11/12 season.

Rooney comes across as slightly bitter even if he was right that we weren't bringing in quality.

I maintain that the Glazers had tight purse strings because they knew Fergie could work miracles on a shoe string. Only once they needed to spend they did so but by then they probably pocketed a lot of money.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Good lord he's 70+ when he retired. About time, nothing to do with decline etc.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Oh boy! That's a crazy thing to admit.

I believe the game he's referring to is the 3-0 game at the Bridge. If it is, isn't that the very same game he broke a bone in his foot causing him to miss the beginning of the 2006 world cup?

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's disingenuous to say Fergie left because we were on the slide after having given more than 20 years of his life to the club. In Fergie's autobiography he mentioned that his sister-in-law had died and he intended to retire a season earlier but wanted to go out as a champion after the disappointment of the 11/12 season.

Rooney comes across as slightly bitter even if he was right that we weren't bringing in quality.

I maintain that the Glazers had tight purse strings because they knew Fergie could work miracles on a shoe string. Only once they needed to spend they did so but by then they probably pocketed a lot of money.
Yeah I agree. People slate the Glazers even now but they do splash the cash. I’ve got more issue with the non-football men actually running the club than the owners. I’ve got no doubt they tightened the purse strings around 2010 though, as since you say Fergie could get results regardless. This definitely held us back long term though.

I believe the game he's referring to is the 3-0 game at the Bridge. If it is, isn't that the very same game he broke a bone in his foot causing him to miss the beginning of the 2006 world cup?
Yep. Karma huh?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why do footballers do this? What exactly will he gain from this(well, except money)?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He also did the unthinkable by challenging manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

"We sold [Carlos] Tevez, then we sold Ronaldo. I was the one player left with high profile," Rooney reflects.

"I went into Alex Ferguson's office and I said, 'what's the plan here?' His response was, 'get out of my office'."
It was a refreshing honest interview, but this bit is a bit hard to agree with him with. Bear in mind he’s saying this in a team with the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Van der Sar, Carrick, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Berbatov…etc. These aren’t basic run of the mill players, not by any stretch. That’s the core of a 3 time PL winning team, and a CL.

And considering we lost the title by a single point, primarily because Rooney had a ankle injury in the run in, he should really understand that the Manager isn’t someone you need to question in terms of squad management, performance and ambition.

Trequarista10

Read a quote from Colleen somewhere about Wayne's shagging, and it was to the effect of "I know people just think I stayed with him for the sake of the kids and keeping the family together", and it made me laugh cos nobody thinks that is the reason she $tayed with him.

Trequarista10

It was a refreshing honest interview, but this bit is a bit hard to agree with him with. Bear in mind he’s saying this in a team with the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Van der Sar, Carrick, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Berbatov…etc. These aren’t basic run of the mill players, not by any stretch. That’s the core of a 3 time PL winning team, and a CL.

And considering we lost the title by a single point, primarily because Rooney had a ankle injury in the run in, he should really understand that the Manager isn’t someone you need to question in terms of squad management, performance and ambition.
Yeah, I think he meant attacking players, which is a little harsh on Berbatov but not really as he was underwhelming. Lazy phrasing from Wayne but I get his point.

2 man midfield

Read a quote from Colleen somewhere about Wayne's shagging, and it was to the effect of "I know people just think I stayed with him for the sake of the kids and keeping the family together", and it made me laugh cos nobody thinks that is the reason she $tayed with him.
Surely if she really just wanted his money she could leave him and take him for half of all he’s got. He’s cheated on her like 8 times, any judge in England would award her the mother of all payouts. I think there’s other factors at play - haven’t they been together since school?

Irwin99

Yes, wonder if the studs might have caused his own foot injury? On a side note, I remember that game very well and Terry was really cut bad. It was also one of the worst performances i've ever seen from Ronaldo who was abysmal (like, you think he's bad now, watch that game :lol: )

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Yeah, I think he meant attacking players, which is a little harsh on Berbatov but not really as he was underwhelming. Lazy phrasing from Wayne but I get his point.
If that’s the case, then I get what he means somewhat but not totally.

I mean, Fergie made him the main man that season, gave him the CF position (which Rooney excelled in), buying Valencia to put crosses straight onto Rooney’s head. He was part of a fantastic trio before but somewhat behind Ronaldo in terms of preference and performance. If that was me I would have loved to be the top dog.

Gazza

Rooney knows how to play the media for his own ends. He has been slyly bitter about Ferguson since he left the club. One would have thought his own experience as a manager would imbue him with a bit of perspective.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We got to a UCL final after Ronaldo left. We went toe to toe with Real Madrid the year Fergie left with the Nani red card changing the game. We were competing at a high level.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Rooney knows how to play the media for his own ends. He has been slyly bitter about Ferguson since he left the club. One would have thought his own experience as a manager would imbue him with a bit of perspective.
I suspect he's bitter as Fergie was the first one who knew he was done at the top level and most likely would have sold him had he stayed on.

The British media still talked of Rooney as a world class player until Mourinho's first season.

Bennie Blanco

Reached out to Ferguson for managerial advice if my memory serves me right?

2 man midfield

We got to a UCL final after Ronaldo left. We went toe to toe with Real Madrid the year Fergie left with the Nani red card changing the game. We were competing at a high level.
Thanks entirely to Sir Alex. Once his magic was removed the chronic underinvestment was exposed.

Becks00

We were not, we went into that game feeling like underdogs and rightfully so. Rooney did a lot wrong during his time at United but him pointing out our gradual decline post Ronaldo isn't one of those.

City kept signing players we should be signing during that time to keep the gap between ourselves and the challengers and we let them sign them unopposed. The core of the team was declining, the midfield was in terrible shape and Rooney until Van Persie came in Fergie's last season was the only high profile attacker we had.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

I'm torn. It's obviously a cnuty thing to do but it was John Terry so it almost balances out.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We were not, we went into that game feeling like underdogs and rightfully so. Rooney did a lot wrong during his time at United but him pointing out our gradual decline post Ronaldo isn't one of those.

City kept signing players we should be signing during that time to keep the gap between ourselves and the challengers and we let them sign them unopposed. The core of the team was declining, the midfield was in terrible shape and Rooney until Van Persie came in Fergie's last season was the only high profile attacker we had.
I agree with this to be honest, but also I don't think Rooney's frustration with Fergie paints either of them in a bad light. Rooney's not blind and he's not stupid, he can see the squad is declining (relatively, the team can still compete and there are fine players but they are not being replaced like for like) so he goes to challenge Fergie on it face to face. Fergie and Gill are operating under a financial straitjacket imposed by the Glazers so when Rooney questions transfers to his face Fergie puts on a brave face by doing what he has always done with Rooney; giving him a harsh bollocking because he knows he can take it.

The whys and the wherefores of Rooney's 'questioning the club' 'angry and confused' era have been done to death but I have always thought he was working from a place of basic truth in that he genuinely didn't like what was going on with United's transfer strategy at the time, and that he was right to do so as there was very little to like. Fergie did what he had to do, worked miracles on the football side and put on a brave face to the media and disgruntled people within the club such as Wazza. I haven't got a huge beef with what either man did at the time (some of Rooney and Paul Stretford's conduct did leave a bad taste at the time but I'm over it now).

Born2Lose

Your biggest problem here is putting any value in the words of a guy whose cheated on his wife countless times.

RedDevil@84

So he barged into SAF's room and asked him where are the quality signings. No wonder Sir Alex asked him to get out of the room.

In general, I agree that Rooney was right, in spotting that we were declining and losing ground to City and the club did not seem to compete at same level. But I don't really think the picture that he is putting about himself is true.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm torn. It's obviously a cnuty thing to do but it was John Terry so it almost balances out.
That's fair, but the fact that he himself got a pretty serious injury in that game may have been the ultimate balancing of the universe.

stevoc

Haven't listened to the interview yet, but does he actually mention City? Or just that he wanted to leave?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
SAF made sure to tell everyone after his last match at OT that Rooney had handed in a transfer request and wanted to leave the club again. I think SAF had enough of Rooney and if he had stayed on another year he probably would've been sold if the right club/offer came in. Rooney can spin it all he wants but we all know he held the club to ransom in 2010 and was threatening to go to City. All his concerns about ambition went away when we put that big contract on the table.

Deery

Dreary
There’s a Rooney programme coming to Amazon Prime tomorrow.

I saw on the news he said “He used to drink for two days solid, Sunday and Monday, then take eye drops, mouthwash and so on, to be able to pass himself in training”.

Seems everybody was right about Rooney, when he wouldn’t come back from holidays fit or had a bug, was just hungover.

Oranges038

Just about

At that stage there was always a sense that Utd side were experienced in Europe and could get the job done but would have been considered underdogs in a lot of the ko games, including that one against Real.

Rooney at that stage was a bit like Keane, he was concerned about the decline in player quality and what it meant for the club as a whole in terms of being successful and competing at the top going forward. He was very lucky at that point SAF needed him and he couldn't afford replacement or he would have been out the door too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I saw on the news he said “He used to drink for two days solid, Sunday and Monday, then take eye drops, mouthwash and so on, to be able to pass himself in training”.

Seems everybody was right about Rooney, when he wouldn’t come back from holidays fit or had a bug, was just hungover.
This might just be my own memory being fuzzy, but I remember seeing a clip of the United squad on some kind of bonding exercise at the horse racing and Rooney was the only one carrying pint throughout the whole thing. RVP was carrying a bottle of water.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This might just be my own memory being fuzzy, but I remember seeing a clip of the United squad on some kind of bonding exercise at the horse racing and Rooney was the only one carrying pint throughout the whole thing. RVP was carrying a bottle of water.
Imagine if we had a Ronaldo style Rooney, never had a touch of alcohol or fast food.

Would probably still be playing now

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

I said it at the time and got pelters, he was unprofessional. He spent each summer acting like a brick layer on a bender in Marbella and was gash for the first month of each season.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I said it at the time and got pelters, he was unprofessional. He spent each summer acting like a brick layer on a bender in Marbella and was gash for the first month of each season.
Yeah, that's why he was always slow getting into the season

Irwin99

Can never quite believe that people can't see how we declined around 2009 onwards and how arguments about how we were still competing and reaching finals proves their point. We didn't just turn to crap magically over night, it was a slow decline with warning signs all over the place.

The reason why we were still competing is because that previous team was one of the strongest sides there's ever been in England. Our veterans were capable of putting in outstanding performances well into the twilight of their careers. Giggsy for instance saved us loads of times in 2010-11 season with some of his performances. There were some major red flags though: crap performances, getting knocked out of the CL group stage in 2011, getting wrecked by Athletic Bilbao in the Europa league etc.

flameinthesun

Your biggest problem here is putting any value in the words of a guy whose cheated on his wife countless times.
Your biggest problem is clearly not reading properly...don't shoot the messenger just because you don't like what Rooney said.

Green_Red

Surely if she really just wanted his money she could leave him and take him for half of all he’s got. He’s cheated on her like 8 times, any judge in England would award her the mother of all payouts. I think there’s other factors at play - haven’t they been together since school?
She would be awarded all that even without the infidelity in the UK.

Couldn't help playing the last part back in my head as a scooter song. "Infidelity in the UK!"