We are an averagely coached team

tomaldinho1

9. Crystal Palace
10. Manchester United

Four times over. Where is that not the case?
I don't understand, just go on filter through. This isn't to say bloody Palace are the benchmark but what you've said is categorically untrue.

We are better than them for Shots, xG they have scored more and are better from set plays. They face more shots than us but being a defensive team (and us being cack) have better defensive stats than us. We pass more than them, transition the ball forwards faster than them and have better stats for both building attacks (10+ passes) and direct attacks. We beat them on all pressing stats as well bar goal saving actions (which is quite niche given they have 1, we have 0 and the highest score is 3 from Spurs)

I hope you read the piece before posting next time or just refrain from being sensationalist. This is not correct.
Crystal Palace are above us in every single metric and yet we expect our team to beat theirs. Heh.
Heh.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't understand, just go on filter through. This isn't to say bloody Palace are the benchmark but what you've said is categorically untrue.

We are better than them for Shots, xG they have scored more and are better from set plays. They face more shots than us but being a defensive team (and us being cack) have better defensive stats than us. We pass more than them, transition the ball forwards faster than them and have better stats for both building attacks (10+ passes) and direct attacks. We beat them on all pressing stats as well bar goal saving actions (which is quite niche given they have 1, we have 0 and the highest score is 3 from Spurs)

I hope you read the piece before posting next time or just refrain from being sensationalist. This is not correct.

Heh.
I’m on this link: https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/premier-league-stats-2023-24/

we’re behind them on everything there on scroll. I didn’t look beyond that, no. Should I? The fact we can even go back and forth on whether or not we’re ahead or behind them, or, if you’re correct that we’re ahead in one or two areas, whilst they have a clean sweep of the page I looked no farther than, doesn’t really back your point.

We’re clearly in a very bad way to be behind Palace in any kind of constructive sweep.

tomaldinho1

I’m on this link: https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/premier-league-stats-2023-24/

we’re behind them on everything there on scroll. I didn’t look beyond that, no. Should I? The fact we can even go back and forth on whether or not we’re ahead or behind them, or, if you’re correct that we’re ahead in one or two areas, whilst they have a clean sweep of the page I looked no farther than, doesn’t really back your point.

We’re clearly in a very bad way to be behind Palace in any kind of constructive sweep.
Filter the tables.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head when you say they aren't capable of doing what is asked of them.

I agree with the questions too, for example I disagree with making Rashford a star player with the shiny new contract. For large periods of the previous seasons including this one I'd literally take a player like Bowen ahead of him.

But Ten Hag has also been astute in getting players that believe in him to join the club. A lot of people trash in the Antony signing for example but they also underweight the importance of having a player that says he'll follow the manager anywhere. Licha loves him and having a core handful that is on his side is vital when controlling the squad.

I think hel get it right, it's just an ugly period for us. The threads talking about sacking or successors are over the top.
It’s just a mess of a situation and I would be lying if I said I had certainty it’ll be worked out for the better with ten Hag overseeing the whole project.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This is the most disappointing element of the ETH tenure. I thought at the bare minimum we’d start to look like a well coached side. But here we are a season later and there just hasn’t been that impact made by the coaching staff.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I personally feel team coached well but certain circumstances your players mismanaged their position. For example hojlund in good position to release rashford towards goal but instead he choose to shoot. These kind of things certainly impacted results. May be rashford could miss but he is in better position hojlund utilised rashford run better. It's nothing to do with coching but player s attitude.

These kind of things not only enable goal scoring opportunities but also give opposition a dilemma in how to contain the attack. Next time they try to contain rashford run that will enable hojlund more space and time. Football is a team game if you utilised team mates more you will get more chances to impact results either by assist or created space to score by yourself.

Great teams always have that team spirit.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
There is a reason why every coach, effectively since Moyes, ends up playing 4231 with a mid/low block and counter attacking.

Only two coaches have tried something different to this: Ole, and it cost him his job in 2021-22. Ten Hag, and it may well cost him his job this season.

For whatever reason, our squad just isn't built to do much more than defend deep and hit teams on the break. Trying to turn a team that wants to score goals in 3 passes into one that does so in 30 passes keeps falling. Is it worth it to keep trying? Especially if the club isn't going to cut it's losses on players that can't play totalfootball.

Baxquux

There is a reason why every coach, effectively since Moyes, ends up playing 4231 with a mid/low block and counter attacking.

Only two coaches have tried something different to this: Ole, and it cost him his job in 2021-22. Ten Hag, and it may well cost him his job this season.

For whatever reason, our squad just isn't built to do much more than defend deep and hit teams on the break. Trying to turn a team that wants to score goals in 3 passes into one that does so in 30 passes keeps falling. Is it worth it to keep trying? Especially if the club isn't going to cut it's losses on players that can't play totalfootball.
Part of that has to be recruitment and part of it has to be coaching (conviction and ability to coach)- there's nothing 'genetic' in the club that says we can't play with technical control. If the club suddenly unearthed equivalents of prime Modric and Kroos and the manager insisted upon building the team around them, binning players that weren't working hard to press and retrieve the ball then make runs for those midfielders to find them, insisting on a competent, high-line defence to support them etc, training combinations on the edge of the area with inside channel runs and 1-2s rather than speculative shots or blind alleys etc, then...we'd play much better football.

Tottenham moved from Mourinho and Conte to Ange-ball without buying 11 new 1st choice players; Liverpool went from Hodgson stolidness to nearly winning the league with a fluent style under Rodgers not long after, there are numerous other examples...