We are the second best team in the league

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You guys have had a relatively nice fixture list up until now yet the results against the 'big teams' hasn't been great. What is it? 2 points from 4 games Vs Arsenal, Spurs, City and Chelsea? You are getting results against mid table and lower teams ok which obviously is important but so far against your main rivals you gave come up short. You haven't even played Liverpool yet. Not saying you aren't a good team because you have some really talented individuals but I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

Mind you, at this rate anyone could win the league including Utd.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You guys have had a relatively nice fixture list up until now yet the results against the 'big teams' hasn't been great. What is it? 2 points from 4 games Vs Arsenal, Spurs, City and Chelsea? You are getting results against mid table and lower teams ok which obviously is important but so far against your main rivals you gave come up short. You haven't even played Liverpool yet. Not saying you aren't a good team because you have some really talented individuals but I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

Looks like we are more title contenders than Spurs.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Looks like we are more title contenders than Spurs.
Possibly sure, I'm not saying we are any better though we have had a tougher fixture list so far. At least we have beaten City, Arsenal and Utd. You guys have yet to beat a top team which is why saying you are the second best team is perhaps a little optimist?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

I think in the 'big games' we've been too passive. If we can fix our confidence at home, and tighten up then who knows. Our record against big teams ain't the best but I think we can punish any team but the problem is United let in some clownish goals. Too many really.

GazTheLegend

And last season we beat everyone worth beating including City and Chelsea. It's dropping points in the games against the defensively minded 'lesser teams' playing on the break that have hurt us, the Sheffield Uniteds, Fulham's, Tottenham's etc. Beating those teams is what wins titles. Anybody can lose to City, Liverpool or ourselves, it's consistency that's required.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
And last season we beat everyone worth beating. It's dropping points in the games against the defensively minded 'lesser teams' playing on the break that have hurt us, the Sheffield Uniteds, Fulham's, Tottenham's etc. Beating those teams is what wins titles. Anybody can lose to City, Liverpool or ourselves, it's consistency that's required.
Yes I agree but the op has suggested you are the second best team in the league yet you have not yet been able to beat a direct top 4 rival.

GazTheLegend

Yes I agree but the op has suggested you are the second best team in the league yet you have not yet been able to beat a direct top 4 rival.
Alex Ferguson didn't always have the best record against the teams in the top four - they are always VERY good teams after all. The keys just to be competitive in all those fixtures to be honest and win the ones you can, usually the home ones. Unfortunately with covid home and away fixtures seem meaningless at the minute so having played mainly the better teams at home is a hindrance should fans come back but we are capable.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

Before Wednesday night we had played the same fixtures as Spurs have with the exception of the Burnley game we still have in hand.

roonster09

Scout
Possibly sure, I'm not saying we are any better though we have had a tougher fixture list so far. At least we have beaten City, Arsenal and Utd. You guys have yet to beat a top team which is why saying you are the second best team is perhaps a little optimist?
Last season we had probably best or second best record vs top 6. No one said we were second best team because of that record.

Also not sure about fixture list either. We played same games more or less except Liverpool.

Btw I don't think we are in title race just like how Spurs are not in the title race, if people think Spurs, Chelsea are in the race then I don't think how they can exclude ManUtd,

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Before Wednesday night we had played the same fixtures as Spurs have with the exception of the Burnley game we still have in hand.
Sorry mate that's simply not true, we have played way more matches this season than Utd

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Last season we had probably best or second best record vs top 6. No one said we were second best team because of that record.

Also not sure about fixture list either. We played same games more or less except Liverpool.

Btw I don't think we are in title race just like how Spurs are not in the title race, if people think Spurs, Chelsea are in the race then I don't think how they can exclude ManUtd,
If we end the month within 3 points of Liverpool, would you put us in a title race at that stage? Would be almost half way through the season at that point.

RORY65

I think the reason United have been dismissed so far is that we are the one side who haven't put in a really convincing 90 minutes that you expect champions to do, the sort of game where you're a couple of goals up at half time and just manage the game from there. Pretty much every game has been a struggle and we've been very reliant on comebacks and late goals which doesn't feel as sustainable. That and the fact that our fixture list has been fairly generous.

That being said in many of those games there have been bursts, for like 20 or 30 minutes, where we look maybe better than anyone. There are issues to sort out (our home form generally, even against the lesser sides, how slowly we start games and being too passive against the big sides since the Spurs loss) and I still think Liverpool are clear favourites but I think we have to be considered contenders right now.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
this thread won't age well, come back in May when we're 5th and preparing for another season of Sunday/Thursday and tell us all we're the 2nd best team in the league, and you can bring your ''we comfortably have the 3rd best squad in the league'' friends with you.

roonster09

Scout
If we end the month within 3 points of Liverpool, would you put us in a title race at that stage? Would be almost half way through the season at that point.
Depends on how convincing we look in the games, whether the form is sustainable.

I think the reason United have been dismissed so far is that we are the one side who haven't put in a really convincing 90 minutes that you expect champions to do, the sort of game where you're a couple of goals up at half time and just manage the game from there. Pretty much every game has been a struggle and we've been very reliant on comebacks and late goals which doesn't feel as sustainable. That and the fact that our fixture list has been fairly generous.

That being said in many of those games there have been bursts, for like 20 or 30 minutes, where we look maybe better than anyone. There are issues to sort out (our home form generally, even against the lesser sides, how slowly we start games and being too passive against the big sides since the Spurs loss) and I still think Liverpool are clear favourites but I think we have to be considered contenders right now.
Yeah, somehow we are in touching distance. Right now I would say Liverpool are clear favorites and if City are back in form then they will be title contenders. Rest all are up there but not good enough to push all the way.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Don’t have to beat them to finish 2nd though. I also don’t think we’ll finish 2nd.

After Liverpool anybody could finish top 4 in any order.

Gasolin

You're absolutely right you have beaten City, Arsenal and us. But I think that in the relative games we've both played, you are only 2 pts ahead while we have a game in hand.
We really should not have lost against Arsenal, and probably should have beaten them, but we can only blame ourselves, I suppose.

OppositionSpursManchester UnitedDelta
Everton
0​
3​
-3​
Southampton
3​
3​
0​
Newcastle
1​
3​
-2​
United/Spurs
3​
0​
3​
West Ham
1​
3​
-2​
Burnley
3​
Brighton
3​
West Brom
3​
3​
0​
Man City
3​
1​
2​
Chelsea
1​
1​
0​
Arsenal
3​
0​
3​
Crystal Palace
1​
0​
1​
Liverpool
0​
0​
Brighton
3​
Sheffield
3​

cyberman

You're absolutely right you have beaten City, Arsenal and us. But I think that in the relative games we've both played, you are only 2 pts ahead while we have a game in hand.
We really should not have lost against Arsenal, and probably should have beaten them, but we can only blame ourselves, I suppose.

OppositionSpursManchester UnitedDelta
Everton
0​
3​
-3​
Southampton
3​
3​
0​
Newcastle
1​
3​
-2​
United/Spurs
3​
0​
3​
West Ham
1​
3​
-2​
Burnley
3​
Brighton
3​
West Brom
3​
3​
0​
Man City
3​
1​
2​
Chelsea
1​
1​
0​
Arsenal
3​
0​
3​
Crystal Palace
1​
0​
1​
Liverpool
0​
0​
Brighton
3​
Sheffield
3​
Yeah, its nonsense to say anybody has had a tougher fixture list. Its all already evened out. How many big games are left in this half of the season? Us v Liverpool?
The top sides should really now be pulling away over Christmas

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
City are 9th best team in the league, comfortably.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Calm your tits. we are only 1/3 of the way into the season. Besides, as Ricky Bobby once said, "If you're not first you're last". We are Manchester United. Even if we are the 2nd best, that's not something we brag about...

Rossa

We beat Southampton, which is currently a top team. Everton.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

ya and they were all at home too. Second half of the season is going to be harder. Hopefully we can offset that with fitness, familiarity and Pelistiri or Diallo coming in and making some kind of a difference

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Calm your tits. we are only 1/3 of the way into the season. Besides, as Ricky Bobby once said, "If you're not first you're last". We are Manchester United. Even if we are the 2nd best, that's not something we brag about...
I long for the day the idiot Ricky Bobby stops being quoted

lex talionis

When we start beating sides like Sheffield United comfortably on a consistent basis can we entertain the notion that we’re second best in the league.

Right now we’re scraping wins over such teams.

432JuanMata

How long of football until you become better than someone else ? City are having a mare of a season so far but the last 3 seasons they have put us to shame. Is this based on this season alone ? So Southampton are better than Chelsea? Remember we just went out of the CL(yes it was a hard group) but if we are the second best we surely should be finishing ahead of Leipzig?

To be fair just enjoy the season we are a inconsistent side that have 5 points at home all season. We can be one of the worst in the league and one the best not game to game but minute to minute.

Though if we plan on winning the league anytime soon this has to be the season

McTerminator

A season ago the main complaint was our form against the minnows so I will take that happily.

End of the day you win the title against the minnows who are worth 84 points in a given season compared to the other big six who are worth a combined 15 or maybe lets say 30 max if you want to say you're doubling it for taking points off of rivals. There is an evolution going on at United, whether it will lead us to the promised land or not is a big question, but there is an evolution occurring slowly but surely of that there can be no doubt.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I long for the day the idiot Ricky Bobby stops being quoted
And maybe one day he will stop being quoted. That won't change the fact that for Manchester United finishing 2nd only means we didn't win. It would be a nice step to take, but not something to be celebrated...

HowYouDoin

True. We are just terrified of any big teams and we always set up extremely negatively.
Down to our incompetent manager but what can you do. Its the same reason we are out of the CL too.

With that being said, I think we are more lucky than good. Games against the likes of Brighton, Southampton, West Ham, extremely lucky. We got comfortably outplayed for long periods in many of our games. For example West Ham should have scored 4 in that first half, easily.

We are more lucky than good and eventually we will have a bad streak of 4 or 5 lossess, something like that and our luck will run its course.
You can only be so lucky with an incompetent manager and we have been more lucky than any team I can remember. Example Brighton game. They hit the post 5 times and we win after the final whistle. What can you say about that.

Bondi77

We are the second best team......in Manchester.
Hurts to say it but hopefully it won’t be long before we can turn it around.

cyberman

How have we had a nice fixture list? Its been a bit of a balls with the likes of Everton, Southampton and West Ham away, all right in the middle of their great runs. From last night until Liverpool in 5 games time is the easier run for us

Banana Republic

It’s almost the end of December and we’ve only scored 1 goal at home, that’s right 1 goal, from open play ( the other two were penalties) and that goal was in the 80th minute of the first game of the season...which we lost.
Other than those 2 pens, we haven’t scored at home since the first day of the season and we’re supposed to be the 2nd best in the league?

Game in hand or not, unless our performances and resilience improve dramatically over the next few weeks, our current relative league position will prove to be false, with mid-table beckoning again.
I hope that’s not going to be the case, but we’ve had too many false dawns of late to feel confident about Utd this season.