We have guided every manager to failure

led_scholes

First of all, this is not a thread claiming that the "manager is not be blamed". All of them have proved in their post-United managerial career, that they were not anything special, even though some have found some kind of success elsewhere (Moyes at West Ham, even Jose at Roma).

However, what hopefully will change under Ineos, is our short term vision, which has hampered the club and therefore any manager. Under Glazers the goal was simple; top four. They never had a clear plan or a vision of how to build a team that can challenge for titles. The only time that they seemed to understand that their strategy was flawed, was when they brought Rangnick. But then again, after a few months they had already moved away from this plan. I actually believe that Rangnick got a lot of underserving slack if we look at the bigger picture; many old players at the end of their contract, players performing poorly, Greenwood, no incoming transfers, rotten form etc. But I would agree that Rangnick was not an elite manager as well, but he was not brought to be the permanent manager. After many years of crazy spending and low achievements, the senior players who were getting paid as elite but were just either mediocre, or inconsistent and toxic (eg AWB, McT, Shaw, Rashford, Martial, Maguire, Ronaldo) would not get another chance under the new manager.

When ETH was made the manager, there was a clear red flag concerning his role on transfers and his powers. Again, the "blame game" strategy of the previous regime had started from day 1 of ETH's appointment, and ETH by his own decision, drank their poison chalice. I am sure they promised him a transfer budget and powers that he did not have with Ajax. And they delivered those to him, even though it was obvious that he had to reach top four. We did not bring ETH to rebuild the squad, which can take up to two-three years, but to deilver fast. Thus, we went in the summer just buying and chasing any player that ETH knew, and when the season started and we were getting hammered left and right, we panicked, as always, and bought Antony and Casemiro (again, someone has to wonder, would we have brought a player with Casemiro's profile with Rangnick as a consultant or in an important role?). Two years after his appointment, the same issues as before, more or less exist.

For me the success of the new manager (and the ones following him), would depend on one thing; build a structure to win titles and not just for top 4. That means that it is better to sell the underperformers in one summer and accept a mid to lower table position, than continue tolerating them for the sake of top 4 (and after spending alot again). We have a young spine that can wait for a year or two before starts challenging. Hopefully, Ineos are already monitoring these players this year and have made their plans to clear them out. Otherwise, we would need again another cycle of managers before we clear out the deadwood. No need to rush again and expect fast "success". No need to repeat the same mistakes.

Crashoutcassius

Agreed. that said ETH has the team performing well, well below the standard of the players he has, which is nothing to do with structure and everything to do with his ability to coach.

MonkeysMagic

I'm more inclined to think that the managers we hired just weren't up to it and would have failed inspite of the 'good structure' everyone is pining for!

So there is a failure of structure in that we have continually hired poor options...but we more than any other club also have this tendency to think that if you make a poor judgment error, if you just give more time it'll come good and apart from one time in our history, it never does!

Korwas

When I see teams preform badly for as long as we have I feel there are institutional problems within the entire club. Ronaldo talked about how the club is behind the times, Ragnick said we needed open heart surgery. I don't think changing a manager is enough and I think our problems might go deeper and effect our morale at every level. Maybe the food is bad in the cafeteria, maybe the facilities are bad, maybe our fitness team stinks, maybe our pools are cold etc etc. I think everything compounds and effect the morale and player performance which is why we never improve regardless of players or coaches. I've seen teams in other sports that are bad forever. They can have the right players and the right coach but they still suck and it must be the organisation itself because the players and coach can leave and do good things outside the poisoned organisation.

Sgreddevil

When I see teams preform badly for as long as we have I feel there are institutional problems within the entire club. Ronaldo talked about how the club is behind the times, Ragnick said we needed open heart surgery. I don't think changing a manager is enough and I think our problems might go deeper and effect our morale at every level. Maybe the food is bad in the cafeteria, maybe the facilities are bad, maybe our fitness team stinks, maybe our pools are cold etc etc. I think everything compounds and effect the morale and player performance which is why we never improve regardless of players or coaches. I've seen teams in other sports that are bad forever. They can have the right players and the right coach but they still suck and it must be the organisation itself because the players and coach can leave and do good things outside the poisoned organisation.
Then we probably need to relook if we have been attracting the wrong type of players. I'm quite sure our facilities and support may be outdated but it should still be better than the likes of bournemouth or other teams with much lower budget. If their players are willing to give a feck and fight despite that, there is no excuse our players can't do at least what they have been doing. Like what Rangnick mentioned, it is likely we need a complete surgery to remove and rebuild.

redcucumber

The PL is very competitive and at a club like United you'll get found out. None of the managers we have hired have been good enough.

I actually feel we’ve given almost every manager the opportunity to buy a smörgåsbord of his favourite players and these players for the most part have failed.

Our failure as a club has been the belief of finding a new Fergie and giving the manager this power rather than understanding that we are likely to have much shorter managerial stints in future & the club will be much better to get a structure in place for the club rather than for the manager, who should just be someone who comes in to coach them to the best of his ability.

Korwas

Then we probably need to relook if we have been attracting the wrong type of players. I'm quite sure our facilities and support may be outdated but it should still be better than the likes of bournemouth or other teams with much lower budget. If their players are willing to give a feck and fight despite that, there is no excuse our players can't do at least what they have been doing. Like what Rangnick mentioned, it is likely we need a complete surgery to remove and rebuild.
A Bournemouth level player probably won't expect the same from an organisation that a Real Madrid level player does. Maybe a better player is more effected by a worse organisation because he is used to professionalism.

didz

A Bournemouth level player probably won't expect the same from an organisation that a Real Madrid level player does. Maybe a better player is more effected by a worse organisation because he is used to professionalism.
There's an element of truth there. Nobody at Bournemouth is gonna complain about having to pay for an orange juice or not having a state of the art jacuzzi, but you can bet your life Zlatan and Ronaldo will. Expectation breeds disappointment, a fact that we should all have learnt by now.

Chumpsbechumps

If INEOs setup up like a normal successful club, then even if we were to hire the exact same kind of managers we did under Circus ringmaster Woodward, we will do better by default.

Fellaini will not be our “Moyes 2.0” one and only summer signing. There will be at least 2-3 targeted signings improving the squad.

Since the squad isn’t really ready to properly challange , our LVG 2.0 won’t be getting a Di Maria player whose more interested in leaving his current team more then any focus on where he’s going. LVG 2.0 has inherited a stronger and balanced squad so the 2-3 additions (along with continual discarding of players who have bit been good enough over 24 months.

LVG 2.0 finishes top 4 both his seasons and wins FA cup. Early knockouts in CL and no clear progression means he’s replaced with Jose 2.0.

The squad has been continually improving in spite of managers. Jose 2.0 has successful pedigree and 2-3 big signings take the squad up a level. Jose 2.0 wins the league by year 2. Falls out with Pogha 2.0 and club makes decision to sell Pogba 2.0.

Jose 2.0 ends up falling out with team and is sacked Christmas, Ole bounce and team finishes top 4. Ole does well, plays nice football , team gets top 4 but it’s clear he’s not elite. They win an Fa cup.

That’s the sort of improvements I expect. It’s clear that the bullsh*t structure has undermined everything and everybody (managers and players).

leontas

Indeed we setup ETH for failure by backing him with more than £400m in transfers and going after his primary targets without really questioning if they’d be a good fit.

witchtrials

First of all, this is not a thread claiming that the "manager is not be blamed". All of them have proved in their post-United managerial career, that they were not anything special, even though some have found some kind of success elsewhere (Moyes at West Ham, even Jose at Roma)
Bit of a tangent as I know this isn't your main point but (as I think I mentioned in another thread) I don't know if you learn that much by looking at their post-United records. The fact that they have been through the United mincer means that all their failings have been magnified a thousand times and their reputation is permanently tarnished through years of intense criticism and association with the United permacrisis.

The aura of top level managers is fragile, and it's probably hard to regain that sense of invincibility once you've been dissected and ridiculed every week. Meanwhile you can fail managing, say, Everton and go on to manage Real Madrid. People barely remember if you did a good job at Everton or not.

AndyMUFC

Our recruitment has been our main problem.

Especially since Mourinho, we've completely ballsed up by signing players suited to counter attacking football and each successive manager has just added to the problem. We've now ended up with a squad completely ill suited to playing like a top side and we're stuck with it for the foreseeable future, which as much as ETH should go, is likely still going to cause us problems for years.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I agree. Under the glazers we have had the ambition to get top four and no big picture view leading to regular panic buying and a lack of investment when things look ok.

I did think ETH was the man but he’s only himself to blame for ditching what seemed to be working up until the Carabou Cup final last season and making us as bad as we’ve ever been with a dysfunctional counter attack system.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If you boil down to the source of our current crapness it is the midfield. Casemiro is too old. Erikson is too slight. Amrabat is too clumsy. Mount is too injured and too average. All these players were purchased by the club when they should not have been and when players like Rice and Bellingham were for sale. Now we pay the price with a midfield that anyone can swan through. The defense has similar problems.

A decade of missing ambition and false economies will not be swept away in a couple of years. Mainoo and Martinez are a start. But that's all.

mintyred

ETH is a weak manager. He's failed to implement his style of play and instead played to the players who've been letting us down for years. If he went all in with his style, at least we could say he gave his all and was strong, even if it didn't work out.

Red Regista

If INEOs setup up like a normal successful club, then even if we were to hire the exact same kind of managers we did under Circus ringmaster Woodward, we will do better by default.

Fellaini will not be our “Moyes 2.0” one and only summer signing. There will be at least 2-3 targeted signings improving the squad.

Since the squad isn’t really ready to properly challange , our LVG 2.0 won’t be getting a Di Maria player whose more interested in leaving his current team more then any focus on where he’s going. LVG 2.0 has inherited a stronger and balanced squad so the 2-3 additions (along with continual discarding of players who have bit been good enough over 24 months.

LVG 2.0 finishes top 4 both his seasons and wins FA cup. Early knockouts in CL and no clear progression means he’s replaced with Jose 2.0.

The squad has been continually improving in spite of managers. Jose 2.0 has successful pedigree and 2-3 big signings take the squad up a level. Jose 2.0 wins the league by year 2. Falls out with Pogha 2.0 and club makes decision to sell Pogba 2.0.

Jose 2.0 ends up falling out with team and is sacked Christmas, Ole bounce and team finishes top 4. Ole does well, plays nice football , team gets top 4 but it’s clear he’s not elite. They win an Fa cup.

That’s the sort of improvements I expect. It’s clear that the bullsh*t structure has undermined everything and everybody (managers and players).
Yeah pretty much, but don't let the players off the hook so easily.
Some of them have and are still behaving like proper arseholes while beeing a United player...

It's not like we bought a bunch of championship level players and expected them to be playing like ballon d'or finalists.
Most of them were good players, highly rated and some of them world class, it's just that they turn into 15 year old children, the minute they sign that fat beefy contract here.
Don't want to train, start whining, beat up some people, party all night, play FIFA all night, shy away from challenges, mishandle social media etc. these are the common traits in a lot of United players ever since SAF and David Gill left.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Mourinho was a very capable manager that just wasn't a good fit for United, long term. Everybody knew he wouldn't be a good long-term manager here, but Glazers were hoping he would win a quick EPL title, which would give them carte blanche of 10 more years of fecking around. Except they didn't even support him properly in the transfer window and it's not that easy to win EPL title with Pep and Klopp next to you.

We may not have had the best managers but our biggest problem has been atrocious recruiting of players. Believe Pep if you don't believe me, who always says that winning is mostly about having good players and he wouldn't be able to do anything with bad players

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
We have made consistently shit appointments and have coupled that with consistently shite recruitment. 10 years of that and we have what we currently have.

TheGodsInRed

Agreed. that said ETH has the team performing well, well below the standard of the players he has, which is nothing to do with structure and everything to do with his ability to coach.
It's structural too. Ten Haag has said he doesn't have the players to play the Ajax way. Well then why did we sign him if we can't support the structure he succeeded in the past?

There was no evidence he could coach a counter attacking team like this, the players can't keep hold of the ball, it's not something easy to coach. It's like signing Bruno to play him full back. Maybe he would be a good full back, but it would be better to sign a proven one.

tjb

Indeed we setup ETH for failure by backing him with more than £400m in transfers and going after his primary targets without really questioning if they’d be a good fit.
Managers complain about the lack of structure, but I actually think the true victims have been the players. The previous lack of structure ensured that managers weren't held accountable until the very end of their tenure. Managers like LVG and Ten Haag were allowed to experiment with stupid tactics and create friction with players. The players during this time have let people know from time to time what has been going on. Unfortunately, as a club, we give the manager so much unearned support, that these conversations are shut down, despite the fact that its the players that have more insight on the manager's performance than anyone else.

We do not hold managers accountable. We give them a blank slate to work off with complete control on how they play and treat the players. Where clubs who have been more successful in the last decade such as Chelsea, Real Madrid and Bayern have taken active steps to listen to players when comments are made, United always goes on the defensive and instead uses it as proof that the manager has a big job. United as a club, including representatives in the media, have always been more concerned with defending its decision to hire a manager and selling that to the fans, than actually assessing managers when they arrive. So it's not a surprise that we always find ourselves here every few years, as its almost a guarantee that despite poor to average performances, the manager will at least get two seasons. No other big club acts with this sort of lack of urgency.

Ten Haag literally came to this club talking about " the impossible job" prior to even playing a single game. The club treated him like he had come to save us, despite the fact that we're supposed to be one of, if not the biggest club in the world, acting like a manager who has never won a major league title or a champions league had the proven track record to save us. Of course, like they all do, these managers milk it as much as they can. As a manager coming to a new job, how can you say that people were advising you not to join at a club that so many people are trying to join. Imagine if a player said that? Yet fans lapped it up. It's this attitude toward managers that allows them to have the arrogance to think they deserve time. Now fans are acting like the lack of structure we have is the root cause of all our failures on the pitch. Yet the reason it took so long to get this structure was because we didn't want to reduce the power of the manager. This ironically was supported by the likes of Neville and Carragher 10 years ago, now all of a sudden its just proof of how behind the times we are. That's the annoying part about this whole thing. The narrative has always been skewed to support the manager regardless of their failures. We haven't played coherent team football consistently for over a decade. The job of a manager is to get a group of individuals to player coherent team football. In that time, we've seen teams with less quality players be able to do that. At the end of the day, structure, recruitment, Glazers, Murtough, Woodward, Arnold...its just always been an excuse to absolve the majority of our poorly performing selfish managers from actually taking true responsibility for their failures. Out of the lot, Ole is the only one that I can excuse, mostly on the basis of his lack of experience.

RedRover

The PL is very competitive and at a club like United you'll get found out. None of the managers we have hired have been good enough.
This. Like in most fields, very few people are in the elite 1%. Most fail.

RedRover

This is my view.

Having most of our centre-backs injured is not his fault. Setting the team up in such an open manner so as to expose an under strength defence is his fault.

There are other, non-elite PL managers who would get more out of this squad.