We need 3 new CMs. Who do we sign?

croadyman

Fair point. As I said, I like the links to him more than some other names, especially to British players (like Toney or Branthwaite). One thing that I like is that he is left-footed.

Not a fan of Onana though. I'd personally go for Guido Rodriguez on a free (to have one experienced DM) and try to get Archie Gray
Can Gray make the step up,mind you I would say the same about Scott at Bournemouth as well

aeh1991

Can Gray make the step up,mind you I would say the same about Scott at Bournemouth as well
I would hope so. He looks immensely talented and mature for his age. and behind a more experienced DM like Rodriguez (or Casemiro if we can't sell him), he would have less pressure (in theory, but of course we are United and cursed with injuries...).

G-manc

Archie Gray looks brilliant.

I dont think we can miss out on him.
There’s zero chance we get him.

I think people underestimate the hatred for us from the Leeds side; he has 4 generations of family who are entrenched in the clubs history. It’s the same reason Kalvin Phillips was never on when people suggested him.

The only players we’ve got from Leeds have either had no close affiliation or because they needed to sell due to finances.

aeh1991

I think people underestimate the hatred for us from the Leeds side; he has 4 generations of family who are entrenched in the clubs history. It’s the same reason Kalvin Phillips was never on when people suggested him.

The only players we’ve got from Leeds have either had no close affiliation or because they needed to sell due to finances.
We never know until we try. Even though the chances are as slim as you say.

G-manc

We never know until we try. Even though the chances are as slim as you say.
Leeds are more than likely going to be promoted and even if they don’t, they don’t need the money.

He’s their prize asset outside of maybe Summerville, you’d have to be talking silly money (which we don’t have) for Leeds to consider selling to anyone.

He a got a younger brother in Leeds academy who is very good too.

croadyman

Yeah does seem he has that strong family connection to Leeds which Phillips always has

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Angelo Stiller would be an interesting option I think. 23yo DM who is the heart of Stuttgart at the moment (who probably play the second best football in Germany right now and give Bayern a race for finishing second in the league now). Came through Bayern's youth and then moved to Hoffenheim to get BL experience, now in his first season for Stuttgart already one of their key players.

didz

I think those 4 generations also all played for Scotland. Archie Turncoat anyone?

I did always chuckle when people suggested Kalvin Phillips for exactly this reason, so I probably should be doing the same with Gray. Chances are he ends up at an Arsenal or a Liverpool.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think those 4 generations also all played for Scotland. Archie Turncoat anyone?

I did always chuckle when people suggested Kalvin Phillips for exactly this reason, so I probably should be doing the same with Gray. Chances are he ends up at an Arsenal or a Liverpool.
Even abroad. Bayern hold a serious interest

E-mal

I’d rather Varela and Neves, with how Newcastle are being over Ashworth they’d want an absolute fortune for Guimares.
Oh I know and we are not really that more attractive than Newcastle for players at that age because it’s not that we have guaranteed ucl or trophies

aeh1991

Amadou Haidara has a release clause of only 25m. He's been a key player for RBL and is very strong defensively, good pressing and press resistance, energetic. Kind of the perfect no.8 next to Mainoo. But he's got the same problem as Neves which is his height (1.75). If we sign a different profile DM/CM who is tall, he would be a great addition.

Remember the geese

Someone who can be our Rodri. Someone who can be a backup to our Rodri. Someone who will allow us to rotate/rest Mainoo (I'd suggest Angel Gomes).

I'd even argue that we could do with a fourth, but I don't see us pursuing that particular profile of player while Fernandes and Mount are still here.

Hammondo

Someone who can be our Rodri. Someone who can be a backup to our Rodri. Someone who will allow us to rotate/rest Mainoo (I'd suggest Angel Gomes).

I'd even argue that we could do with a fourth, but I don't see us pursuing that particular profile of player while Fernandes and Mount are still here.
I question our clubs ability to find a Rodri.

luke511

Palacios from Leverkusen. If we sign him and Neves then we're in fantastic shape. A rotation between them, Mainoo and Bruno for the 3 spots would be perfect, along with a scouted prospect or free transfer for squad depth.

gajender

Palacios from Leverkusen. If we sign him and Neves then we're in fantastic shape. A rotation between them, Mainoo and Bruno for the 3 spots would be perfect, along with a scouted prospect or free transfer for squad depth.
Do we really need another sick note shouldn't we be getting rid of them rather than collecting new ones .

luke511

Do we really need another sick note shouldn't we be getting rid of them rather than collecting new ones .
21/22 - 32 appearances
22/23 - 34 appearances
23/24 - 30 appearances so far

In a league where they only play 34 games a season, that's fine by me. Also good for rotation between Mainoo, Neves and Bruno, who would form a formidable midfield as a collective anyway.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Rodri is a big unit though, which adds intimidation to his obvious skills. Angel is talented by he is tiny. We need muscle in that midfield.

DomesticTadpole

Why would someone leave a club that is going to be in the CL with a manager who is admired by a lot of clubs.

DomesticTadpole

I was suggesting Gomes as an alternative to Mainoo. Not as an alternative to the Rodri type that we need.
Sorry about that. Pity we didn't keep him, but he wanted games and it has done him good going away and getting them. We definitely need depth to the squad. Not picking up players who couldn't get a game for their former teams, players who are terminally injured so we might get cheap, not that we even manage that one.

Remember the geese

I question our clubs ability to find a Rodri.
They are hard to find. We need to get one though. A deputy for that player is needed too. No idea why we haven't bothered to find cover for Casemiro at any point. We just seem to think we can amble on with McTominay or Mainoo filling in for him when necessary. It's the same where a centre forward is concerned. You can't count Martial as a player. We have just tried to cover over the cracks by using Rashford there when required. It's piss poor.

DomesticTadpole

Fair point. I’ve got faith our new management would be able to sell the project to him, but may not be enough.
Not sure it will yet. Think it has been an issue for quite a while, which is why we sign so many rejects and players past their prime just here for the money. You wonder how much the manager in charge is an attraction to players as well.

ArbeitervonWien

Joao Neves, Xaver Schlager and if we sell McTom and Casemiro another cheap acquisition for me. Neves and Mainoo could form a special midfield in couple of years. And for now we'd have Bruno, those two plus a prime Schlager and maybe a fit Mount, which should still be a very competent midfield.

L1nk

Wieffer/Hjulmand/Zubimendi
Khéphren Thuram
Sverre Nypan (long term for Bruno)

gajender

21/22 - 32 appearances
22/23 - 34 appearances
23/24 - 30 appearances so far

In a league where they only play 34 games a season, that's fine by me. Also good for rotation between Mainoo, Neves and Bruno, who would form a formidable midfield as a collective anyway.
You might wanna check his injury record and these stats aren't just for the league , also just look at the minutes played per season if you still want him here.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You might wanna check his injury record and these stats aren't just for the league , also just look at the minutes played per season if you still want him here.
He missed 9 matches due to injury this season, 5 because he was on the bench and 1 because he was suspended for yellow cards. So he was fit for 80% of their matches this season. That's absolutely normal and no reason to call him a sick note.

Also don't forget that Leverkusen can easily rotate/sub him with Andrich, they don't need to field him all the time.

luke511

21/22 - 48 minutes a game av
22/23 - 67 minutes a game av
23/24 - 75 minutes a game av

He's getting better in terms of injuries. I do get your point, he may not be worth the fee given the risk, but he still would be a fantastic addition and is exactly what we need.

gajender

He missed 9 matches due to injury this season, 5 because he was on the bench and 1 because he was suspended for yellow cards. So he was fit for 80% of their matches this season. That's absolutely normal and no reason to call him a sick note.

Also don't forget that Leverkusen can easily rotate/sub him with Andrich, they don't need to field him all the time.
Thanks for the detailed breakdown for this season it's better than usual , but his overall injury record doesn't paint a pretty picture and carries a significant risk which United couldn't afford .