We need a magician

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
You have Pogba, Sanchez and to some extent Martial who can create something out of nothing. Even Lukaku is a striker whom you can just lump high long balls or crosses into.

clarkydaz

We probably thought Sanchez was this player who would unlock defenses and give us the edge in major games, after having seen Pogba not do that. Now we've seen that Sanchez (even if he improves his performances next season) doesn't have the pace to beat defenders though his wayward passing and, at times, suspect decision making might improve next season. Pogba might also improve, but he goes from the sublime to an absolute passenger, so clearly he is not that type of player.

Is there any player out there who fits that bill?

Scholes was saying the same after the game. Said we have a lot of good players but no magician. A game winner.

I know we'll address the glaring issues in the squad, the lack of full backs, the poor-with-the-ball-at-their-feet defense, the lack of a right sided attacker. That will of course improve us significantly, but even so, at the highest level, say CL semis or in games like today against sides that get an early lead and out-Mourinho Mourinho, we need that magician.

Who is that player?
Thought Scholes sounded a fool there,

"We need to buy players"
"You bought Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez"
"Yeah but... they aint matchwinners. Messi and Ronaldo, we don't have that"

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Let’s keep fixing team problems by buying new players completely unfamiliar with our team.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Thought Scholes sounded a fool there,

"We need to buy players"
"You bought Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez"
"Yeah but... they aint matchwinners. Messi and Ronaldo, we don't have that"
Yeah, the Messi, Ronaldo mention was a bit Alice in wonderland, but he also mentioned Hazard. Our best teams have all had at least one world class outfield player. As it is, we have none. The best outfield player in their position we have is Matic. I wouldn't worry if we had 11 players as capable in their role as him.

I don't disagree with people who think that the highest priority is getting players capable of forming a cohesive 11 (the positions that have been mentioned a billion times). I just think that even then, at the highest level, having that extra spark is necessary and I don't see that in our team.

Even outside of managerial leadership (as that's what's become the only topic in the thread), people can imagine any manager they want, we still do not have this type of player. Jose or no Jose.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Mata should be starting as our number 10, we would atleast have a player who is able to control the ball, have vision and play through balls in a critical area of the pitch, rather than a local lad that runs great off the ball and dabs.

clarkydaz

Yeah, the Messi, Ronaldo mention was a bit Alice in wonderland, but he also mentioned Hazard. Our best teams have all had at least one world class outfield player. As it is, we have none. The best outfield player in their position we have is Matic. I wouldn't worry if we had 11 players as capable in their role as him.

I don't disagree with people who think that the highest priority is getting players capable of forming a cohesive 11 (the positions that have been mentioned a billion times). I just think that even then, at the highest level, having that extra spark is necessary and I don't see that in our team.

Even outside of managerial leadership (as that's what's become the only topic in the thread), people can imagine any manager they want, we still do not have this type of player. Jose or no Jose.
Sanchez was supposed to be that wasn't he? Why we pay him gazillions to be the finished bona fide real deal. Is it the player or the system at fault

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I will be honest, I don't think there are many individual players that would help us the way we play. Never thought I would say it, but for example, buying Dybala or Griezmann in this system wouldn't help one bit imo. There is too much to ask for any attacking player to break the wall of defenders on his own.

Maybe someone like Modric, Kroos type of player beside Matic would change things a bit, but we don't seem to head in that direction.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sanchez was supposed to be that wasn't he? Why we pay him gazillions to be the finished bona fide real deal. Is it the player or the system at fault
The system isn't flawless, our lack of balance is a concern, but I've seen enough not to expect world class performances from Sanchez next season. Why pay him so much? I have no idea. I don't defend that. Nor the length of contract. I think we'll regret it. I still think he will have a better season next season, but that's hardly difficult is it.

Moos

Supports
Liverpool
Only a player like Suarez would thrive regardless of the defensive Mourinho tactics.

I'm sure that Mourinho could turn a front three of Salah, Mane and Fimirno into dogshit within a few months. So yeah, signing another world class player is not gonna be the solution to your problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

gavdim2002

Why José brings Mata on in the 85th min. in a match crying for creativity, flair and the final pass is beyond me anyway. To win this FA Cup we didn´t need any "magician coming out of the blue", we only needed to play our (own current) players and a plan (or two) about how we play our attacking football.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We have martial and sanchez. Plus pogba in midfield. It is enough. We need world class magician defender

The Kag

No, we need some cohesion and synergy in attack. What you're suggesting is exactly what's wrong with our attack. Relying on individualism to bail us out of matches.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why José brings Mata on in the 85th min. in a match crying for creativity, flair and the final pass is beyond me anyway. To win this FA Cup we didn´t need any "magician coming out of the blue", we only needed to play our (own current) players and a plan (or two) about how we play our attacking football.
Agreed. Had Mata come on 20-25 minutes earlier we would have won the game in 90 minutes. We just needed to put the sword through them and Mata seemed an obvious answer!

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I think that if LvG hadn't fecked up Di Maria, our attacking football would be alot better now.
We'd actually have a top class player who could attack from the right.
(Not saying we should bring him back)

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
No we don’t. Take a deep breath everyone!

...we’re in the process and need to upgrade our other starting positions just as we did with Pogba/Matic/Bailly/Lukaku/Alexis. Once we do that we’ll actually have capable starting players - a team.

As for Alexis, he came in midway and is adjusting. Still had MOTM a few times but now that he’s had a taste of things, next season there’s no excuses for him and what he will be judged on.

iHicksy

The problem is the system....or lack of system. Sure we have some players that aren't good enough but so do many of the other top teams. Look at spurs and Liverpool, they aren;t overflowing with incredible players in every position but they clearly work on their attacking patterns in training and we don't. "But Hicks" I hear you cry "How can you pretend to know what we do and don't do in training?" ...Simply watch us play, we've had static positioning, not only in attack, but in midfield as well. The players simply don't move as any kind of unit. Instead, we stand in a flat bank of 3 next to the defenders whilst our midfielders stay in their defensive block looking for some kind of movement, of which there is none.

There's no one bursting through from midfield either to break their line of defence or trouble the defenders into thinking "Who should I pick up?"...there's nothing. This is further compounded by the fact that we have Valencia on the right who refuses to take his man on and has reverted back to his trusted LVG form of jump up and down on the spont as the ball comes to him, race up the touchline then stand, pivot next to the defender for what seems like an eternity....before passing it back into the centre of midfield, behind him.

ravi2

I think that if LvG hadn't fecked up Di Maria, our attacking football would be alot better now.
We'd actually have a top class player who could attack from the right.
(Not saying we should bring him back)
Or we could get over that and buy an actual right winger.
Not sure what our aversion to wingers is but our play suffers because of it.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Or we could get over that and buy an actual right winger.
Not sure what our aversion to wingers is but our play suffers because of it.
RW and FBs. That makes up a ton of modern football yet we don’t have that thus the linkups.

No LB to link up the LW. No RW for RB to link with and Valencia is past it now too so gonna need a new RB.

3 integral pieces missing which is a huge huge dynamic(s) missing.

RedStarUnited

A player like Hazard would win us loads of points. If posters feel more comfortable with it, you could swap the term "magician" to "match-winner". A difference maker.

And then some probably think we just change a manager and the whole team will be liberated to play the beautiful game winning games 4-0 laughing all the way to the title.
That same Hazard that is winning Chelsea loads of points below us in the league?

Morpheus 7

We need full backs and to play as a fecking team, not a group of individual's. People want one player to make it all better but it's not that simple. It's about playing with desire, team work and chemistry. We are team waiting for someone to do something, not taking responsibility and playing to our potential with real purpose. It's no quick fix.

Fitchett

The problem is the system....or lack of system. Sure we have some players that aren't good enough but so do many of the other top teams. Look at spurs and Liverpool, they aren;t overflowing with incredible players in every position but they clearly work on their attacking patterns in training and we don't. "But Hicks" I hear you cry "How can you pretend to know what we do and don't do in training?" ...Simply watch us play, we've had static positioning, not only in attack, but in midfield as well. The players simply don't move as any kind of unit. Instead, we stand in a flat bank of 3 next to the defenders whilst our midfielders stay in their defensive block looking for some kind of movement, of which there is none.

There's no one bursting through from midfield either to break their line of defence or trouble the defenders into thinking "Who should I pick up?"...there's nothing. This is further compounded by the fact that we have Valencia on the right who refuses to take his man on and has reverted back to his trusted LVG form of jump up and down on the spont as the ball comes to him, race up the touchline then stand, pivot next to the defender for what seems like an eternity....before passing it back into the centre of midfield, behind him.
Yep, this constant utter nonsense from Valencia absolutely does my head in. He kills off so many attacks. How come LVG and Mourinho have put up with it for so long?

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
mourinho is gone ain't got it anymore. no passion. I've seen more passion in a UK Eurovision Entry coming last with 50% of the votes still yo come.

out ta fcuk

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That same Hazard that is winning Chelsea loads of points below us in the league?
The Hazard who has been the difference maker for Chelsea since joining them, yes. This season they've had an absolute mare, but managed to finish with a trophy.

We need full backs and to play as a fecking team, not a group of individual's. People want one player to make it all better but it's not that simple. It's about playing with desire, team work and chemistry. We are team waiting for someone to do something, not taking responsibility and playing to our potential with real purpose. It's no quick fix.
If you read the OP then you'll see that I mean on top of fixing our most pressing issues.

Yep, this constant utter nonsense from Valencia absolutely does my head in. He kills off so many attacks. How come LVG and Mourinho have put up with it for so long?
Either he's not seeing what is clear as day or it's a budget-related issue. This summer will give answers about where we are actually heading.

Irrational.

The thread title reminds me of Teletext Summer Transfers page back in the day:

UNITED IN TALKS WITH WING WIZARD
RING 0901 999 999 FOR MORE INFO
(Calls charged at £1.50/ min. T&C Apply)

:lol:

Back on topic, I'm pretty fed up with big name signings. I'd rather have a signing that goes under the radar that produces than spunk another £100 million or £500k/ week on the likes of Pogba and Sanchez. Recently our superstar signings have been more miss than hit.

Morpheus 7

@Bastian you created a vague thread about nothing. You start of speaking about Sanchez, when on to mention Pogba, Scholes and full backs. Maybe best getting your thoughts in the post Chelsea thread. Instead of creating
'we need a magician' thread, click bait bs.

Sing you a song

We need to remember who we are
Stop making do with second rate squad players like the laughable
Valencia
Young
Smalling
Jones
Herrera
Matic
Mata
Darmian
Lindelof
Rojo
Mctominay
Martial
Rashford
Lukaku
Would any of them be regular starters for RM or Barca ?

we need to wake up smell the roses and stop settling for 2 nd / 3 rd best
FFS remember who we are at the moment we are a joke maybe in to 10 in Europe at best

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@Bastian you created a vague thread about nothing. You start of speaking about Sanchez, when on to mention Pogba, Scholes and full backs. Maybe best getting your thoughts in the post Chelsea thread. Instead of creating
'we need a magician' thread, click bait bs.
You're welcome to your opinion, but I view it quite differently, otherwise I wouldn't have created a thread. At the risk of repeating myself, and trying not to be vague, I think even with the reinforcements we are presumably after, if we want to get to the next level we are still short of a player who can win games. Like every great team possesses. The reason I brought up Sanchez and Pogba was that both came with the hope that they'd be that sort of player for us, neither has been. The reason I brought up full backs etc was to qualify what I was getting at, which is that it's not the priority, but it is necessary still, if we want to really challenge for the major titles. I mentioned Scholes because he highlighted the same point (which is not to say that it thereby gives it more credence).

Fer

We need to remember who we are
Stop making do with second rate squad players like the laughable
Valencia
Young
Smalling
Jones
Herrera
Matic
Mata
Darmian
Lindelof
Rojo
Mctominay
Martial
Rashford
Lukaku
Would any of them be regular starters for RM or Barca ?

we need to wake up smell the roses and stop settling for 2 nd / 3 rd best
FFS remember who we are at the morning meant we are a joke maybe in to 10 in Europe at best
Well, Pogba and Sanchez are not making any difference.

Liverpool is in the Champions League Final with players like Lovren, Henderson, Milner, etc.

We need to get the best out of our players, not to buy 15 new players to replace the ones you mentioned. However, we need to improve 5 positions of our team and start playing way better.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
We have a manager who has just gone on record today and used the lack of Lukaku and/or Fellaini and their presence to explain our lack of offensive acumen.

It's going to be hard to find a magician, flair player, difference maker that can have a significant and lasting impact in a system that is build on "presence" of the kind that we're using the absence of to explain our poor performance today. Simple as.

Sing you a song

Well, Pogba and Sanchez are not making any difference.

Liverpool is in the Champions League Final with players like Lovren, Henderson, Milner, etc.

We need to get the best out of our players, not to buy 15 new players to replace the ones you mentioned. However, we need to improve 5 positions of our team and start playing way better.
i agree with your point but respond to mine would any of the ones I mentioned be regular starters for RM and Barca ?

CR#7

still cannot believe this shit chelsea squad beat us

tentan

Poor man's poster.
But most people seem to think Pogba is our magician.

Zlatattack

We have Pogba and Sanchez, but we're leaning on them for everything. Mark them out of the game and what are the rest providing?

I have faith with a right winger and two fullbacks we have a title winning team, or finally enough reason to get rid of Jose.