We need to stop giving players so many chances

Josep Dowling

Since Ferguson retired I’ve seen so many players underperform. They are dropped for a few games and then come back into the fold. Fans talk about the likes of Lingard, Jones and Rojo and why on earth the club still has them on the books (and rightly so) but our problems are much deeper than this.

How many chances does Shaw need? Martial? De Gea? These 3 players would go into most United fans first 11 but their form is so hot and cold. Where is the consistency of top class players? After all these three players have all been given bumper contract extensions recently to make them the highest paid players at the club.

We need to move players on quicker when not performing. If Pogba doesn’t want to be here, move on as well. Our player turnover is so slow compared to the other big clubs yet we need the players in the most.

Chelsea realised after one season Kepa was’t good enough. They have signed a better keeper after signing about 6 first team players. It doesn’t matter that Kepa cost £70m. They don’t associate cost with quality. His replacement has cost a fraction of that and they have cut their losses and benefited from that.

Matthew84!

Well unfortunately we can't get rid of 7 or 8 in one window, lets get rid of the ones who don't play first then we can think about get rid or swapping Pogba, Martial, Shaw, perhaps Matic and Mata will need to go as they're are quite old too

L1nk

The people at the top dont want to keep forking out millions to buy new players, thats why we don't have the player turnover that we should

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Utd and Chelsea are different beasts entirely with one having owners running it like a business and taking a cut of the profits. Chelsea on the other hand have a multi billionaire with deep pockets to clear up any mistakes in the transfer market.

While I agree with your point on Shaw, I personally (opinion not shared by all) think DeGea has a little more left in the bank with fans the others. Being player of the year for two (or was it three) years and deservedly so says he is worthy of a bit of support from us when he is underperforming.

Out of interest with the current football economics environment and Woodward tying players down to stupidly prohibitive contracts, how do you propose we move them on quicker ?

RedDevil@84

Some people act as if De Gea has gone full Karius. Only because there is a fancy new toy on the bench.

GuyfromAustria

While I agree with your point on Shaw, I personally (opinion not shared by all) think DeGea has a little more left in the bank with fans the others. Being player of the year for two (or was it three) years and deservedly so says he is worthy of a bit of support from us when he is underperforming.
Four years!
As fantastic as he was, that's also really sad...i'd much rather have a striker winning it every year.

Greck

Agree on everyone but De Gea, replacing him is going to be a nightmare even with his decline. Like how hard it was after Schmeichel where we tried so many duds. We had Henderson start that Istanbul game and couldn't shake the feeling De Gea might have saved one of those goals. I do think Romero is the 2 nd best keeper at the club and Ole has screwed up marginalising him

Last edited:

el3mel

De Gea has been actually mostly playing well this season.

And Shaw has also improved drastically since his first year here. He's easily our best fullback at the moment.

Agree on Martial though I just don't trust him at all as our main striker.

Murray3007

Well unfortunately we can't get rid of 7 or 8 in one window, lets get rid of the ones who don't play first then we can think about get rid or swapping Pogba, Martial, Shaw, perhaps Matic and Mata will need to go as they're are quite old too
we could but we choose not to, simply certain players the like of Jones, Rojo, Jesse etc are all not wanted here and all should have been moved on in the summer, even if it meant another youngster in the squad instead, lets be honest majority on here would much rather see Mengi at cb then Rojo or Jones, or Mejbri instead of Lingard. so much average players in the squad its no wonder we are inconsistet because no one is pushing players for positions.

Gabagoo

I completely agree with this. I'm so tired of seeing the same players.

Jones, Shaw, Mata, Lingard and Martial have all had enough chances. Time to get rid.

hastoro11

TBH last season, when we lost Shaw for the rest of the season after the Southampton game, we came to realize that Shaw was a really integral part of the team. Brandon Williams was not able to perform on Shaw's level at all: no forward moving, safety passes, etc. On top of that he's right footed: it was awkward to see when he ran ahead on the left side the he needed to turn back to be able to pass the ball with his right foot.
This year we have Telles too, but IMHO he's not an upgrade to Shaw.

But what about AWB? I don't see him developing at all, rather regressing.

city-puma

Bias is really deep inside many of us. Except that Shaw still periodically gets injured, he has been very consistent. Why to target him? Martial is not mentally as strong as steel, but he always tries to give the best. I just hope he can quickly remove the seemly unnecessary level of pressure out of his mind. Then, he will surely come back again.

Dominos

Martial was our best player over the course of last season. Why on earth would Ole have sold him in the summer when he'd just scored 23 goals (without taking pens and missing 12 games through injury)?

arthurka

Agree on everyone but De Gea, replacing him is going to be a nightmare even with his decline. Like how hard it was after Schmeichel where we tried so many duds. We had Henderson start that Istanbul game and couldn't shake the feeling De Gea might have saved one of those goals. I do think Romero is the 2 nd best keeper at the club and Ole has screwed up marginalising him
Funnily I have had the same feeling regarding DDG in many games this season.