g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

We should replace Pogba with a DM

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Martial has very high potential during his first season with us, remember? We once thought he was future Ballon D’or winner, or something.
And he has failed to live up to such potential - hopefully Greenwood doesn’t

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The number 9 position for United is a graveyard shift. Now that Pogba’s back hopefully that changes. Martial & Greenwood have both underperformed in front of goal but Martial’s link up, ball control, & overall football ability is just way higher right now.
I don’t think he’s way ahead in anything. Being our main #9 and not scoring 4 goals (2 in that 9-0 win) is appalling.

If you could get that Martial that played City we would be content. He’s been very poor though.

Abraxas

I don't think it's about DMs. For example, Meite did a pretty nice job of defending for Milan. He harried, got stuck in, was strong. Everything a defensively minded midfielder should do. He looked the archetypical defensively minded player.

But the fundamental question would be.. would he have done anything at all to solve our issues?

We lack in building up play from deep areas, playing through a press, somebody available with the regularity of our past midfield influences. We don't want Pogba to do it because it is fairly obvious that if you task him with what role he is necessarily spending less time in using his athleticism, ball carrying ability and goal threat. He's only one man on a football pitch so to display his full array of abilities you have to allow him a role where they can be displayed, that role has to be one offering flexibility because his skillset is also flexible.

I think the issues with a McTominay and Fred partnership are well discusssed so I'm not going to go into that, except to say it is not clear they chime well with Pogba either. It seems to result in Pogba being very deep as otherwise who is building our play? It's either Maguire trundles out of the back, or it's McT/Fred despite the fact that even together they struggle to do this.

The skills needed are primarily technical, positional and especially personality to be constantly available for the ball. I would be scouring the globe for players that are critical to a teams play from a positional and possession standpoint. It wouldn't signal the end for our current players by any means, it would just allow us the balance that Matic no longer appears capable of offering.