We will never win the league with De Gea in goal | Prophecy fulfilled

Hughie77

We have .and will again, he's the best stopper in the world, back 4 sorted and he's even better, just give him the money.

We need an rvn

We have .and will again, he's the best stopper in the world, back 4 sorted and he's even better, just give him the money.
genius idea. give a keeper £300kp/w and then see what your wingers / creative midfielders / strikers will want once he signs. He is already the best paid keeper in the world, shouldn't be on more.

What so many don't seem to get is that sometimes it's so much better to spend money on a transfer and keep the wage structure in check than cave into wage demands.

Imagine if we caved into 29 year old Herrera on (arguably) £200k for 5 years, Mata the same, De Gea on £300 etc. It would be crazy when Rashford or Pogba or Martial want a new contract. We have Romeo who will do a fecking good job in goal. £200k p/w is what, £10m per year. I'd rather spend £40m and £100k p/w on Rice and have him at United for 10 years than a 29 year old who hasn't really sold it for me (eg Herrera)

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I've long held the idea that if de Gea should leave, it'd actually prompt us to finally get a top notch defense again as it'd be obvious that we couldn't overlook it any longer...

This would probably lead to us actually becoming a better team - so the thread might not be as ludicrous as it initially appears.

If you hypothetically imagine a lesser keeper like, say, Heaton, with VVD and Ake in front of him, and compare it to DDG with Smalling and Jones in front of him - as a team, the former would be better.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I've long held the idea that if de Gea should leave, it'd actually prompt us to finally get a top notch defense again as it'd be obvious that we couldn't overlook it any longer...

This would probably lead to us actually becoming a better team - so the thread might not be as ludicrous as it initially appears.

If you hypothetically imagine a lesser keeper like, say, Heaton, with VVD and Ake in front of him, and compare it to DDG with Smalling and Jones in front of him - as a team, the former would be better.
I have been saying for four years or so, De Gea is the one and only reason we have have not been scuffing around mid table, he faces more shots (or did until Ole took over at least) than any other keeper in the league, our defense and midfield have been a complete disaster during that time.

If we didnt have him it would definitely have put a rocket up the powers that be arse and made them sort our dogshit defenders and pathetic midfield out.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
genius idea. give a keeper £300kp/w and then see what your wingers / creative midfielders / strikers will want once he signs. He is already the best paid keeper in the world, shouldn't be on more.

What so many don't seem to get is that sometimes it's so much better to spend money on a transfer and keep the wage structure in check than cave into wage demands.

Imagine if we caved into 29 year old Herrera on (arguably) £200k for 5 years, Mata the same, De Gea on £300 etc. It would be crazy when Rashford or Pogba or Martial want a new contract. We have Romeo who will do a fecking good job in goal. £200k p/w is what, £10m per year. I'd rather spend £40m and £100k p/w on Rice and have him at United for 10 years than a 29 year old who hasn't really sold it for me (eg Herrera)
Different scenarios there at the bottom.

De Gea has a valid case to be in best keeper in the world conversations.

Herrera doesn't get anywhere near any conversation in our own division.
Mata doesn't get anywhere near any conversation in our own team.

Rhyme Animal

I have been saying for four years or so, De Gea is the one and only reason we have have not been scuffing around mid table, he faces more shots (or did until Ole took over at least) than any other keeper in the league, our defense and midfield have been a complete disaster during that time.

If we didnt have him it would definitely have put a rocket up the powers that be arse and made them sort our dogshit defenders and pathetic midfield out.
Exactly, it's interesting how things like that can balance out.

Thomas Hunter

This is the dumbest shit I've read today. If players rely too much on de Gea then they are the problem. We can't make our players have a more attacking mindset because they don't trust the goalkeeper. This is dumb af.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
If we can get £80mill+ I'd bite their hand off.

Even in 1 on 1 situations I would back him but now I have no faith in him. He seems to have taken to the habit of standing planted while the ball flies past him. His effort was pathetic against wolves.

He looks like he wants away and I wouldn't be too fussed if he left.

Rhyme Animal

This is the dumbest shit I've read today. If players rely too much on de Gea then they are the problem. We can't make our players have a more attacking mindset because they don't trust the goalkeeper. This is dumb af.
Not players - the board.

Our defense is shit, laughably shit - Young, Smalling, Jones, Bailly.

Lose DDG and the board would know, without question that Top Class CBs were in order ASAP.

AndyJ1985

£80m, promote Romero and Henderson, spend the money on an outfield player.

I'm basically a genius.
Provided the player we bought was actually very good and worth the money, we'd probably be stronger for it. The gap between Romero and De Gea isn't as great as the gap between Ashley Young and a decent RB for example, or Lingard and a good RW.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
See i dont think he is a problem, i think he is the main reason our fairly rubbish past five years have not been worse.

We have wasted hundreds of millions of pounds, and are still starting players who were not good enough five years ago and even worse now.

Swiss_Red89

Is this thread serious? Serious question.

Because we've already won the league with him in Goal...

MikeeMike

Sorry, but i didnt read through all 6 pages of replies due to disbelief at original post.
WUM or otherwise.. DDG has been player of season since he signed.

My personal view, he has only stayed because he repeatedly saves the team and knows it.
He moves to Madrid and is kicking his heels most games...

When fans start slating DDG i despair

Hughie77

So if DDG, gets what he wants, the rest will want the same? Herrera is not worth it , so don't give if, Mata is not a mercenary who will most probably except a rolling contract, or leave him go, Pogba is Pogba a weak minded individual who will listen to others, Martial, is already on decent money, sort that out when needed, as For Rice have him for 10 years, after 2 becomes a world beater on a 3 or 5 year deal, then asks for mega money. What happens then?

DDG, the thread was about, and basically he's worth keeping if we want to move forward. Juve kept hold of the best keeper for a generation until he was over the hill, and moved on for big bucks in probably his last contract, that's why PSG, are offering it to DDG, if it's true, they want stability in that position. Clever though if we keep Romero, and sell DDG. Backwards step.

We need an rvn

So if DDG, gets what he wants, the rest will want the same? Herrera is not worth it , so don't give if, Mata is not a mercenary who will most probably except a rolling contract, or leave him go, Pogba is Pogba a weak minded individual who will listen to others, Martial, is already on decent money, sort that out when needed, as For Rice have him for 10 years, after 2 becomes a world beater on a 3 or 5 year deal, then asks for mega money. What happens then?

DDG, the thread was about, and basically he's worth keeping if we want to move forward. Juve kept hold of the best keeper for a generation until he was over the hill, and moved on for big bucks in probably his last contract, that's why PSG, are offering it to DDG, if it's true, they want stability in that position. Clever though if we keep Romero, and sell DDG. Backwards step.
I agree Romero is not as good as DDG and obviously most of us want to keep him - and I never said Romero would be the backup choice if he were to go either. My whole point is you don't mess up a wage structure to keep a player at a club unless it's Messi / Ronaldo etc. £350k p/w for DDG is stupid, simple as and no one will convince otherwise.

Hughie77

I agree Romero is not as good as DDG and obviously most of us want to keep him - and I never said Romero would be the backup choice if he were to go either. My whole point is you don't mess up a wage structure to keep a player at a club unless it's Messi / Ronaldo etc. £350k p/w for DDG is stupid, simple as and no one will convince otherwise.
Wage structure was messed up years ago, when Keane and others wanted more, it was given for them to stay, it's all about money, nothing else, it has to be paid or players don't stay or come. And I say again to keep DDG you pay. Is there another quality keeper like him around if there is there going for big bucks, kepa, Allison just 2.. makes more sense to pay him to keep him. And there still not as good as DDG. Both £60 plus million, how much wages is that for DDG, fare few years.

manunited1919

This whole thread is a joke, you aren’t supposed to make as much sense as you are making.

But I think our chief problem is not in defense (Smalling & Lindeloff), but in midfield, where Matic won’t last a season playing all the time, and him and Herrera are not the ideal companions to Pogba. We need at least one and possibly 2 DMs so we can unshackle Pogba.

Rhyme Animal

Wage structure was messed up years ago, when Keane and others wanted more, it was given for them to stay, it's all about money, nothing else, it has to be paid or players don't stay or come. And I say again to keep DDG you pay. Is there another quality keeper like him around if there is there going for big bucks, kepa, Allison just 2.. makes more sense to pay him to keep him. And there still not as good as DDG. Both £60 plus million, how much wages is that for DDG, fare few years.
Not as shot stoppers, no. But DDG's awful delivery is notable at this point.

I think Allison and Ederson with their delivery and command over their box, are equal to DDG at this point.

But again, not as shot stoppers.

Hughie77

Not as shot stoppers, no. But DDG's awful delivery is notable at this point.

I think Allison and Ederson with their delivery and command over their box, are equal to DDG at this point.

But again, not as shot stoppers.
Spot on I think . He is out of form with passing out from goal, can't always be the best.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Still can't get over that pathetic punch in the last minute against PSG. Still would keep him but he isn't as important as he once was.