Wealth Tax in the UK

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Maybe this country needs Tom Selleck to sell people reverse mortgages.
We have that. It's called 'equity release' and it's the next major financial scandal brewing, in my opinion.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
We have equity release, if that's what our equivalent is- there's been massive scandals around it over the years as it's a renowned rip-off. We had Cilla and Parky flogging crap life insurance products to the elderly, way less cool than Selleck.

It's better for me to keep my mortgages for the tax benefits. I get to write off all kinds of expenses and depreciation is ace too. I'm about to refinance though as the rates are too good to ignore now. I'll pull some money out and use elsewhere for a better return.

MikeUpNorth

My mate works for the civil service. They pay in 28% on top of his contribution (8% I think).
Everyone is envious of the civil service Alpha scheme. To be fair, I console myself that they get paid like shit for the amount of work stress they have to endure.

MikeUpNorth

If the oldie times it right then doesn't it work out well? It's only the kids who get screwed out of their inheritance?
There's generally a lot of nasties lurking in the small print.

Conor

Small two bed flats are over £500k in zone 2 and 3, they're not luxury pads in Mayfair or even 'extremely nice'. They are just functional flats that would probably cost £120k in say Hull.

The issue of being cash poor is a real one though, as others have said- a pensioner who bought their modest three bed home under right to buy in the 80s could easily be sat on a £1m property, but be living on £80 a week on the basic state pension. They are not wealthy by any stretch. Clearly the definition of wealthy is very individual to people.
Well obviously in that situation, it would be extremely unfair to ask that 80 year old to pay 2k a year for 5 years, but that isn't what the majority of people in here are talking about. My specific points are related to some people saying that earning 150k a year doesn't make you wealthy.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's better for me to keep my mortgages for the tax benefits. I get to write off all kinds of expenses and depreciation is ace too. I'm about to refinance though as the rates are too good to ignore now. I'll pull some money out and use elsewhere for a better return.
Yeah you get all kinds of tax perks like that- we just get taxed on everything, making it barely worthwhile. We might be renting our place out if we potentially move this year, so will be asking advice on that in a few months hopefully.

With equity release, you tend to get a shite lump eroded by charges and the provider creams off any rise in property value when the oldies croak it.

Jippy

Staff
Well obviously in that situation, it would be extremely unfair to ask that 80 year old to pay 2k a year for 5 years, but that isn't what the majority of people in here are talking about.
The problem is that tens of thousands of pensioners in SE England will be caught by this purely because of property price inflation. I'm not defending people earning £100k+ who are moaning about having to pay more.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
There's generally a lot of nasties lurking in the small print.
Yeah you get all kinds of tax perks like that- we just get taxed on everything, making it barely worthwhile. We might be renting our place out if we potentially move this year, so will be asking advice on that in a few months hopefully.

With equity release, you tend to get a shite lump eroded by charges and the provider creams off any rise in property value when the oldies croak it.

Then surely there is a niche for offering a much fairer version of the service?

MikeUpNorth

Interesting question of how you calculate that for a wealth tax. I'm not sure on who is technically the legal owner/beneficiary of the property in the period between equity release and death, and whether the delayed liability would be able to be offset from the property price.

Classical Mechanic

Small two bed flats are over £500k in zone 2 and 3, they're not luxury pads in Mayfair or even 'extremely nice'. They are just functional flats that would probably cost £120k in say Hull.

The issue of being cash poor is a real one though, as others have said- a pensioner who bought their modest three bed home under right to buy in the 80s could easily be sat on a £1m property, but be living on £80 a week on the basic state pension. They are not wealthy by any stretch. Clearly the definition of wealthy is very individual to people.
If they're sat on a £1m property but surviving on £80 a week then they'd be best advised to sell up, down size (in terms of value) and live far more comfortably. They could also pay the wealth tax too.

MikeUpNorth

Then surely there is a niche for offering a much fairer version of the service?
Yes, but I'm not sure it should be encouraged from a public policy perspective. It would be much more beneficial for oldies to sell and move out of the houses they've outgrown and free them up for families who need the space.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
If they're sat on a £1m property but surviving on £80 a week then they'd be best advised to sell up, down size (in terms of value) and live far more comfortably. They could also pay the wealth tax too.

My mum has a flat worth 500k in London and lives on a small pension. She doesn't want to move though because her whole social life is in London and she would have to move somewhere new and start all over with making friends and whatnot.

Jippy

Staff
Interesting question of how you calculate that for a wealth tax. I'm not sure on who is technically the legal owner/beneficiary of the property in the period between equity release and death, and whether the delayed liability would be able to be offset from the property price.
That's actually a really good question. I'm sure that the insurers running the schemes will have something in the small print making sure they don't have to pay a share. If they took the amount due in tax off the end value of the property when the person dies, not sure who'd stump up the cash in the interim. Guess it would be the policyholder somehow.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Yes, but I'm not sure it should be encouraged from a public policy perspective. It would be much more beneficial for oldies to sell and move out of the houses they've outgrown and free them up for families who need the space.

Well that's veering into something else unsavoury!

Jippy

Staff
Yeah it sounds easy, but you're asking an elderly person who's probably paid tax all of their lives to move out of the family home, away from their established friends and networks, to live in a shitter area. It's not exactly a silver bullet to the problem.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah it sounds easy, but you're asking an elderly person who's probably paid tax all of their lives to move out of the family home, away from their established friends and networks, to live in a shitter area. It's not exactly a silver bullet to the problem.
I keep threatening to put my Mum into a home but I fear for the other pensioners if I did that.

Classical Mechanic

My mum has a flat worth 500k in London and lives on a small pension. She doesn't want to move though because her whole social life is in London and she would have to move somewhere new and start all over with making friends and whatnot.
There will be losers no matter what tax grab is implemented. Old people sat on large assets have options where many in society have none.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think we’re talking at cross purposes and there’s a fundamental misunderstanding of the issue here, which don’t get me wrong I understand.

At no point is the purpose of this to “stick it to” anyone (I used that term for why a CGT increase is an easy political win but doesn’t actually solve the problem), it’s to dig the country out of a hole during highly unusual circumstances.

It’s a problem solving exercise, where the UK government has a £250bn (not sure of the number that’s just for illustration) spending shortfall it needs to recover via increased tax yield as an emergency one-off event.

The question is how do you accomplish that in the fairest way possible.

Nobody is arguing that £500k is “outrageously wealthy”, it’s simply one of the thresholds that has been suggested as a point where the people who will be impacted by the proposed tax can afford the impact of it.

Someone with £600k net wealth can afford to pay £1,000 per year for 5 years without it causing them undue problems, no matter where that wealth is held. Certainly a lot better than it could be absorbed in the way of an increase in tax on income or sales, which will have a higher impact on lower income/less wealthy households.

None of this is about punishing anybody and the mental gymnastics from some in this thread to paint themselves as not being wealthy is not only laughable in some cases but is just missing the point.
Agree with all of that, it's just that for me the name is a bit misleading in that case (not sure if it's proposed as an actual "wealth tax" either). Because it seems like it's the (upper) middle class that's gonna be bearing the majority of the the cost and not exactly the extremely rich (not sure that that was the aim to begin with, mind). It's basically coming down to taxing those who can afford it to dig yourself out of a hole, and whether that is fair or not is a different discussion.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I mean, this is a reach. They could just move into a smaller place locally?

There will be losers no matter what tax grab is implemented. Old people sat on large assets have options where many in society have none.
The response to that argument is the same as when people ask why those in council houses in central London can't be moved out to cheaper areas to free up billions of pounds of property.

Jippy

Staff
I mean, this is a reach. They could just move into a smaller place locally?
I guess if the government forces the elderly into moving house it can scoop up more cash in stamp duty too, win win.

Why don't we just burn the elderly as an untapped and abundant source of fuel? If a government policy is to potentially turf tens of thousands of pensioners out of their homes, then it probably needs rethinking.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Agree with all of that, it's just that for me the name is a bit misleading in that case (not sure if it's proposed as an actual "wealth tax" either). Because it seems like it's the (upper) middle class that's gonna be bearing the majority of the the cost and not exactly the extremely rich (not sure that that was the aim to begin with, mind). It's basically coming down to taxing those who can afford it to dig yourself out of a hole, and whether that is fair or not is a different discussion.
Yea I think that’s part of the problem, it’s semantics around the word “wealth” which most people automatically connect to “high wealth” and think of the super rich rather than it simply meaning assets less liabilities or “net worth” which is what it means in this context.

It’s essentially just distinguishing it as being a tax on accumulated assets rather than the movement of money, be that as income or sales.

MikeUpNorth

Yea I think that’s part of the problem, it’s semantics around the word “wealth” which most people automatically connect to “high wealth” and think of the super rich rather than it simply meaning assets less liabilities or “net worth” which is what it means in this context.

It’s essentially just distinguishing it as being a tax on accumulated assets rather than the movement of money, be that as income or sales.
I think the point about forcing people to raise cashflow from illiquid assets is a fair concern.

Just taking the case of property, why require people to pay 1% of the value now? Why not just say the government effectively owns 1% of all property in the UK and require payment of 1% of the sales price whenever someone sells a house. The net effect is the same and the government is far more able to cashflow this than an individual, and at a far cheaper borrowing cost.

EDIT: I mean 1% of the realised price, after paying back the mortgage.

Last edited:

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I think the point about forcing people to raise cashflow from illiquid assets is a fair concern.

Just taking the case of property, why require people to pay 1% of the value now? Why not just say the government effectively owns 1% of all property in the UK and require payment of 1% of the sales price whenever someone sells a house. The net effect is the same and the government is far more able to cashflow this than an individual, and at a far cheaper borrowing cost.

You of all people trust the government to allocate that money suitably? :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

EDIT: I mean 1% of the realised price, after paying back the mortgage.
It’s absolutely a valid concern that would need to be factored in to the design of any policy, but it’s still fairer than alternatives.

Your suggestion there could work, but I do think it would massively reduce the yield because a huge portion of the population won’t be moving house at any point in the next 10+ years, if even ever in some cases, so it doesn’t solve the immediate problem.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I guess if the government forces the elderly into moving house it can scoop up more cash in stamp duty too, win win.

Why don't we just burn the elderly as an untapped and abundant source of fuel? If a government policy is to potentially turf tens of thousands of pensioners out of their homes, then it probably needs rethinking.
What's the alternative? Young people bear the burden of cost and be worse off than their grandparents?

MikeUpNorth

It’s absolutely a valid concern that would need to be factored in to the design of any policy, but it’s still fairer than alternatives.

Your suggestion there could work, but I do think it would massively reduce the yield because a huge portion of the population won’t be moving house at any point in the next 10+ years, if even ever in some cases, so it doesn’t solve the immediate problem.
There isn't really an immediate problem. The government can borrow at historically low rates.

It can borrow for 10 years at 0.62%, and 30 years at 1.22%.

Don't Kill Bill

I disagree with this and think the point is incorrect;

Older generations didn't have a wealth of organizations ring-fencing job opportunities and making them available to "graduates only". They were able to enter the workforce without a huge need to encumber themselves with debt. Also, those who did go into higher education faced zero debt repayments.

To say that free education is not a generous govt policy is strange. The policy wasn't that they capped higher education levels at 30%, it was that university wasn't required to be able to be competitive in the job market, so they uptake in higher education was lower?
If you send 2/3 of people out to work without higher education and only 1/5 of the current levels to university we could have free university. Would you want to swap to that system?

Jippy

Staff
Haha, with a glass window into her toilet?
That would be more a punishment for me, not her!
What's the alternative? Young people bear the burden of cost and be worse off than their grandparents?
I don't know, but it's not like property wealth hasn't already been taxed, given it was bought out of taxed income and stamp duty paid.

The government can borrow at record low interest rates, so it's not an immediate problem. They'll probably look to erode the debt pile by trying to stoke more inflation.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

That would be more a punishment for me, not her!

I don't know, but it's not like property wealth hasn't already been taxed, given it was bought out of taxed income and stamp duty paid.

The government can borrow at record low interest rates, so it's not an immediate problem. They'll probably look to erode the debt pile by trying to stoke more inflation.
The increase in the asset price, hasn't been taxed, isn't that the point? I am not agreeing with either way but you purchase a house twenty years ago and haven't sold, what tax have you paid?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

As per the recommendations that were made, that wouldn't happen though.

No one would be forced to sell their home to pay the wealth tax. If you genuinely could not pay the tax out of your income and savings over the standard payment period of five years then a ‘statutory deferral scheme’ would apply under which the tax could be deferred until there were sufficient liquid funds available, for example from the proceeds of a later sale. We have tentatively suggested a generous test so that indefinite deferral would be available for anyone whose wealth tax bill was more than 10% of the combined total of their net income (after all other taxes) plus their liquid assets such as cash savings. This threshold could be adjusted by the government if it chose.

Jippy

Staff
The increase in the asset price, hasn't been taxed, isn't that the point? I am not agreeing with either way but you purchase a house twenty years ago and haven't sold, what tax have you paid?
No you haven't paid tax on the price rise, but if you're buying out of taxed income and are taxed on the way in, do you think further tax is really warranted? We are a high tax country as it is. Target corporation tax, not the average Joe.

As per the recommendations that were made, that wouldn't happen though.
Hope they listen to that recommendation, it sounds sensible. Lower the higher rate tax threshold, surely that can grab a decent chunk of money.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Hope they listen to that recommendation, it sounds sensible. Lower the higher rate tax threshold, surely that can grab a decent chunk of money.
You think targeting it at people earning below £50k is fairer than at people with a net worth in excess of half a million?

Classical Mechanic

:lol:

Settle down Jippy. Is there even any evidence that there are tens of thousands of property rich but impoverished old people that this would affect anyway?