Wenger was spot on

Lynty

I've supported United since the mid 90s. I'd 100% choose to run down my contract to have more choice/career opportunities.

It's naive to think there's any loyalty in a business relationship.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That’s an extremely heartless way to explain football, when football is built on passion and loyalty, you think it’s just fine for a player to run down a contract and walk then to get the most money he can? Then I think why even bother with it.
I'm not explaining Football, the vast majority of footballers are amateurs, with them you will have loyalty and passion as the main reason they play for a club. Professional footballers are different, it's their job, you don't really think that a guy from Sao Paulo move to Ukraine, France or England for passion and loyalty? This applies to coaches and a large amount of club executives.

A large amount of players are perpetually homesick and can't wait to go back home.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Wenger has a degree in economics if I remember correctly, so no wonder he understands those things. It's better for the clubs as well to pay higher wages over extended period of time rather than spend a spend big fee at once.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Wenger has a degree in economics if I remember correctly, so no wonder he understands those things. It's better for the clubs as well to pay higher wages over extended period of time rather than spend a spend big fee at once.
The overall package is the same. The money just goes to players, not the clubs own their registration. Clubs from now on will have less incentive to pile up players, loan them out and try to "sell" them for a profit in the future.

Depay only signed a 2 year contract with Barcelona. This is the trend.

Deery

Dreary
I'm not explaining Football, the vast majority of footballers are amateurs, with them you will have loyalty and passion as the main reason they play for a club. Professional footballers are different, it's their job, you don't really think that a guy from Sao Paulo move to Ukraine, France or England for passion and loyalty? This applies to coaches and a large amount of club executives.

A large amount of players are perpetually homesick and can't wait to go back home.
I can get my head around that and understand their reasoning but I think this nonsense with Lingard has swayed me a bit seeing him and to an extent Pogba run down a contract just stinks of Mino Riaola being in their ear turning them.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The overall package is the same. The money just goes to players, not the clubs own their registration. Clubs from now on will have less incentive to pile up players, loan them out and try to "sell" them for a profit in the future.

Depay only signed a 2 year contract with Barcelona. This is the trend.
True but the payment structure is more beneficial for the club. In most cases every business will prefer to pay the same amount over time, you have full control over expenditures. On the other side, you risk not getting any money back even if you bought a 20 year old and turned him into a star over 5 years. Basically makes no sense to invest in youthf (from financial POV).

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I am talking about the principle. You pay huge fees for an asset(registration) that can walk away for free. Don't know any other industry where that happens.
That's how a contract works. You are literally not breaking any rules or ethics for running it down.

JPRouve

Scout
I can get my head around that and understand their reasoning but I think this nonsense with Lingard has swayed me a bit seeing him and to an extent Pogba run down a contract just stinks of Mino Riaola being in their ear turning them.
It may not talk to you but it's the exact same process at a different level. In Football every years thousands of youth players are abandoned by their clubs around the age of 18-19 without proper education because they weren't good enough on the pitch. Football clubs are the first to apply conditional loyalty, as long as you perform well they will "care" for you. It's the same logic for players, as long as you pay, play and offer them the prospect of silverware they will care for your club otherwise they are out and it has always been the case, the few exceptions don't make the rule and it's generally a particular case where the player is playing for the club he genuinely supported as a kid.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
True but the payment structure is more beneficial for the club. In most cases every business will prefer to pay the same amount over time, you have full control over expenditures.
For smaller clubs they do have the incentive to develop and sell young players. As long as they don't price them out of the market and destroy the business model themselves. Also the home grown players rules in EPL force the clubs to invest in youth.
On the other side, you risk not getting any money back even if you bought a 20 year old and turned him into a star over 5 years. Basically makes no sense to invest in youthf (from financial POV).
See Haaland/Raiola's contract with BVB as a perfect example.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
True but the payment structure is more beneficial for the club. In most cases every business will prefer to pay the same amount over time, you have full control over expenditures. On the other side, you risk not getting any money back even if you bought a 20 year old and turned him into a star over 5 years. Basically makes no sense to invest in youthf (from financial POV).
Actually it makes even more sense. People don't realize that what they are describing is how Rugby works and every club has an incentive in producing starting caliber player on an almost yearly basis.

Teja

I'm actually trying to work out who the victim is here.

Let's say all the football clubs in aggregate have a set pool of money for transfers / wages. It seems like more of this pot of money will go to players / agents instead of clubs, but if it's too significant an amount across all the clubs, they will end up making less money resulting in the overall pot of money shrinking and wages naturally self correcting.

EDIT

Just saw this - yeah I think youth development is a good point.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
You can also see clubs nowadays are getting harder to sell players. The market doesn't exist anymore. Only EPL clubs are still spending crazy money in transfer fee.

ChaddyP

Isn't this a bit like siding with the Corp over the workers rights?
It is and i always find this topic fascinating . You go in the general and its all Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos abuse workers and their rights and they should be paid their worth , Then you come to the football forum its all about players have too much power and paid too much and the club need to stick them in reserves to teach them a lesson :lol:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It is and i always find this topic fascinating . You go in the general and its all Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos abuse workers and their rights and they should be paid their worth , Then you come to the football forum its all about players have too much power and paid too much and the club need to stick them in reserves to teach them a lesson :lol:
because football fans have a head of slave driver?

Crashoutcassius

I don't really see it:

Messi - last year he supposedly wanted to leave, but wasn't allowed to; this year he supposedly wanted to stay, but Barca wasn't allowed to extend
Mbappe - Real and Mbappe were supposedly eager to transfer immediately, PSG being the ones to block it
Pogba - are we seeing Pogba run down is contract, or are we seeing him trying to leave, but no one having the money for an offer that United deem acceptable
Ramos - he's at an age where two years is a long term contract and his transfer value is minimal
Agüero - see Ramos
Memphis - wanted to leave last summer, probably only waited, because no one was willing to buy him out due to Corona
I think pogba and mbappe are good examples. Clubs say they won't sell unless for a lot of cash. Players just wait. Obviously we are a year out from seeing if that materialises.

Messi is different of course

littleman

I've supported United since the mid 90s. I'd 100% choose to run down my contract to have more choice/career opportunities.

It's naive to think there's any loyalty in a business relationship.
I think it's more that, a typical player's professional lifespan would probably be comprised of, what, three 5-year contracts at a top club? 15 years. So, if he goes pro at 18, that'd take him to 33. Some contracts are even longer now at 6 years.

If you had some normal amount of movement, it's probably double that number at 5-6 contracts.

These 3-6 contracts probably comprise of 80-90% of a pro player's lifetime earnings -- they're typically not going to make much more after retirement. Almost all of this "run-down" is happening when a player is at least 25, so they're really only going to have ~3 more contracts.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think pogba and mbappe are good examples. Clubs say they won't sell unless for a lot of cash. Players just wait. Obviously we are a year out from seeing if that materialises.

Messi is different of course
But if its the clubs who are blocking transfers, then it's not an active decision of players to run down contracts?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
His coats are long like brontosaurus neck but he was always the genius one. He saw things people couldnt.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Always had time for Wenger - even at his whiniest

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
How should smaller clubs react to this development?

The crazy fees were also an opportunity for the runner ups since the costs of other investments (buildings, scouting networks, etc.) weren't inflated at the same rate as the player fees. It was a way how the money was passed down the pyramid, at least to some extent. If players choose to let their contracts run out, that revenue stream will subside.

I imagine smaller clubs will still insist on relatively long contracts and seek to extend them early on. After all, elite clubs aren't a very good entrance into professional football for young players and even if they were, they can't just hoard talents. They rely on smaller clubs granting them playing time. If young players then choose to let the contract run out, we might actually see more players in their prime playing for smaller clubs before moving on to bigger outfits.

But to be honest, I believe that this development primarily affects players who are already at an elite club. Young prospects still seem to move for relatively big sums, e. g. Havertz, Sancho, etc. This scenario of letting your contract run out seems to be the most likely one when he is already on a big paycheck and at a decent team.

JPRouve

Scout
His coats are long like brontosaurus neck but he was always the genius one. He saw things people couldnt.
The remarkable thing about him is how despite the lack of silverware his teams played decent football regardless of who was on the field. They mainly bottled it due to having generally less talent. In hindsight I think that I underestimated him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It may not talk to you but it's the exact same process at a different level. In Football every years thousands of youth players are abandoned by their clubs around the age of 18-19 without proper education because they weren't good enough on the pitch. Football clubs are the first to apply conditional loyalty, as long as you perform well they will "care" for you. It's the same logic for players, as long as you pay, play and offer them the prospect of silverware they will care for your club otherwise they are out and it has always been the case, the few exceptions don't make the rule and it's generally a particular case where the player is playing for the club he genuinely supported as a kid.
Loyalty has always been one-sided in football. It's been propagandised by football clubs, and the sport in general, to such an extent that a player leaving club A for club B and then B to C and then C to D will be accused of disloyalty by clubs B and C without the tiniest sense of irony.

TsuWave

I'm actually happy for players. I'd be doing the same. Considering they're one injury away from their career being effectively finished or whenever their form drops clubs and fans want to get rid asap, it's only right they start leveraging their contract lengths/contractual renewals.

tjb

On Pogba- No we should not pay just any fee. It would kill our wage structure as we have stars of similar or better quality than him here. Raiola is quoting 1m per week for Haaland, only Messi or Ronaldo are worth those wages( and I'm talking about then at their peak). If Pogba doesn't want to stay for reasonable wages that reflect his talent, then we should let him walk.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It works both way, though. Now Clubs can get players for cheap (Varane) or free (plus sign on fee).

Players with exorbitant transfer fee? well, no one forcing Clubs to pay those or getting those players, isn't it? If the Clubs are getting players for cheap, then the cost when losing them for free (or minimal fee) won't be a problem.

This may screw up smaller teams more, though. They need to be more vocal about this.

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I mean, if your contract says you’re there for x amount of years then expected to stay there for that long under any normal job circumstances wouldn’t you?

TrustInOle

I don't know why UEFA or FIFA don't bring in a wage cap.
I like the idea of a wage cap and possibly more restrictions when dealing with transfers, but what's to stop the richest clubs from doing it the "Man City" way? Hidden payments ect.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So you are using a pandeminc and zero attendance as a model? Surely you realize that your point is only relevant in the case where attendance is allowed otherwise the cost of a ticket is null for most sensible people. Then there is a limited amount of people that can attend a game and in the case of the clubs in question they are close to the max, so there is no reasonable point to reduce the entry fee, it's also an english issue more than anything else, so Bayern and Dortmund aren't a good example, in Germany attending a game is reasonably priced, if I'm not mistaken the highest season ticket price in the Bundesliga is half the price of the highest season ticket in the PL.
I give up, you are not really grasping my point here.

A club makes savings elsewhere, they can then pass them savings to the fans. Quite simple really.

I'm not saying they would, merely saying that's what should happen, and it'd be up to the fans in that situation to make sure it happened.

My point about the pandemic was it shows how much match day revenue means to clubs like United, we still made a profit at times during the pandemic, but without fans it left an almighty dent on the profit margins.
I used Dortmund and Bayern as an example because they have both sounded out a wage cap.

JPRouve

Scout
How does it work?
It's not really special players generally have short contracts, 2 to 3 years maximum, and they leave as free agents or extend with their current club, transfer fees are rare. And there is an incentive in producing your own players or at least a large part of your team, you can't rely on someone else to do it, the selection rules often require a large amount of homegrown players and with injuries it's also important to have youth players ready to be called at all time, you may bring a medical joker but it's not the best option.

Crashoutcassius

But if its the clubs who are blocking transfers, then it's not an active decision of players to run down contracts?
If clubs block transfers then players make the decision not to sign a new contract and hence run down contract.

I think in the past United would have a much stronger chance to get pogba on a new contract than todays environment, even after rejecting bids for the player. Today I think the chance is slim. Same for mbappe.

Crashoutcassius

On Pogba- No we should not pay just any fee. It would kill our wage structure as we have stars of similar or better quality than him here. Raiola is quoting 1m per week for Haaland, only Messi or Ronaldo are worth those wages( and I'm talking about then at their peak). If Pogba doesn't want to stay for reasonable wages that reflect his talent, then we should let him walk.
But what if, to replace pogba, we pay 100m plus wages to someone else for 5 years, and it ends up far more expensive than just giving pogba the money he wants, let's say 50m more expensive.

I think because of sign on fees in place of transfer fees, the only way players can increase wages is by leaving on free, for the very reason that you said above - stupid sign on fees will probably become a way to pay a player without hurting your wage structure.

But then, when players get a tiny bit smarter, they will be signing massive sign on fees with every new contract they sign.

If pogba wanted 40m to sign a new contract plua normal wages, should we take that? Are players smart enough to realise that this has in fact altered our wage structure ?

tjb

But what if, to replace pogba, we pay 100m plus wages to someone else for 5 years, and it ends up far more expensive than just giving pogba the money he wants, let's say 50m more expensive.

I think because of sign on fees in place of transfer fees, the only way players can increase wages is by leaving on free, for the very reason that you said above - stupid sign on fees will probably become a way to pay a player without hurting your wage structure.

But then, when players get a tiny bit smarter, they will be signing massive sign on fees with every new contract they sign.

If pogba wanted 40m to sign a new contract plua normal wages, should we take that? Are players smart enough to realise that this has in fact altered our wage structure ?
It's not just about him though, Bruno has outperformed him, we just took on CR7. Barca should be the horror story people should look at when thinking about giving in. I'm not saying Pogba is wrong to run down his contract, in fact I think players have actually been foolish, especially ones with ambitions to leave later on, to not run down their contracts prior. It's a contract with terms that have been met, regardless of whether fans like it or not, the player cannot be said to have run foul of the agreement. The more these contracts run down, the quicker it will be for fans to accept that its not a sign of loyalty, rather players taking care of themselves and their careers.

I think we have can replace Pogba without having to spend the type of wages Raiola would be demanding. He's a good player, one I feel would actually benefit from a slower paced league. However, there are midfields even within the league that have players on significantly less then what he is demanding that function better than we do. If people accept the fact that yes we will be letting a star player walk, they would open their eyes to the fact that we don't even use him in the position we are asking him to stay for. We need to control games better and Pogba has not been a consistent factor in helping us achieve that goal. People don't want the embarrassment of reselling him and the media frenzy, but the truth is, its been 5 years. He still has the same overzealous agent, his wage demands are exorbitant for his talent and production and we are in a much better place to let him go than we were a few years back. Clearly noone else can afford him in this market and we don't want to lock ourselves down to a massive contract of an inconsistent performer no matter how talented or popular he is.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think we have can replace Pogba without having to spend the type of wages Raiola would be demanding.
In EPL, Grealish just went for 100m and a salary of £300,000/week for Man City. I have no idea who can replace Pogba for much less money in both transfer fee and wages. Leon Goretzka will be/may be available for free next summer but he will demand big signing fee and wages, just like Pogba as well. Even the package for Varane is £340,000/week + £41m transfer fee. Unless Man Utd unearth a raw diamond otherwise need to pay big dollar for a like to like replacement. Pogba will get his money one way or the other. it is just a matter of man utd, real madrid or PSG.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In EPL, Grealish just went for 100m and a salary of £300,000/week for Man City. I have no idea who can replace Pogba for much less money in both transfer fee and wages. Leon Goretzka will be/may be available for free next summer but he will demand big signing fee and wages, just like Pogba as well. Even the package for Varane is £340,000/week + £41m transfer fee. Unless Man Utd unearth a raw diamond otherwise need to pay big dollar for a like to like replacement. Pogba will get his money one way or the other. it is just a matter of man utd, real madrid or PSG.
Got this from Arsenal's twitter accounts like AFTV, Welbeast?

Womp

idiot
It's either that - or the price bubble has to burst. It's getting to a point where the richer clubs aren't selling players they want to keep for prices nothing short of ridiculous. It incentives players to run their contracts down to be able to move to other clubs. Not to add, they get a fat bonus.