We're 1 good manager away from turning it around

Caesar2290

A bit of positivity...

Despite all the doom and gloom of how hopeless everything looks I would like to remind everyone that we are 1 good manager away from being a force again.

Just look at City and Pool as an example. When Pep was hired they finished level on points with us.

Before Klopp, FSG and Pool used to be a laughing stock. Now everyone is praising how "well run" they are.

Also anyone on here remember when Levy was praised as a shrewed owner when Poch kept things steady?

At the end of the day, a good manager will mask all the shortcomings of the board. SAF did this for close to a decade by himself. No transfer comitee. No DoF. No nothing. The man was a genius.

As of right now we have a DoF. We actually have a good scouting system. And we have Ralf on board who has plenty of experience in building clubs from the ground up. We also give a lot of time so that the manager can implement his vision.

And most importantly: Woody is about to feck off. Contrary to many on here, Woody's problem wasn't that he was a banker. It was his ego. I think Arnold looks like a much more down to Earth guy.(at least as far as bankers go)

We will get this right eventually. Mark my words.

steffyr2

A bit of positivity...

Despite all the doom and gloom of how hopeless everything looks I would like to remind everyone that we are 1 good manager away from being a force again.

Just look at City and Pool as an example. When Pep was hired they finished level on points with us.

Before Klopp, FSG and Pool used to be a laughing stock. Now everyone is praising how "well run" they are.

Also anyone on here remember when Levy was praised as a shrewed owner when Poch kept things steady?

At the end of the day, a good manager will mask all the shortcomings of the board. SAF did this for close to a decade by himself. No transfer comitee. No DoF. No nothing. The man was a genius.

As of right now we have a DoF. We actually have a good scouting system. And we have Ralf on board who has plenty of experience in building clubs from the ground up. We also give a lot of time so that the manager can implement his vision.

And most importantly: Woody is about to feck off. Contrary to many on here, Woody's problem wasn't that he was a banker. It was his ego. I think Arnold looks like a much more down to Earth guy.(at least as far as bankers go)

How much money did Pep and Klopp spend? So... we're one great (not good) manager and a mountain of money (on top of the money we've already spent) away from being competitive.
Since we don't have that, maybe we should be a bit more forgiving towards the Man Utd players we have at the moment.

ExoduS

We are also 1 bad manager away to reset any progress if Rangnick makes any. We need more than just a good manager. We need good structure and stability. Manager is just another puzzle piece. Important one for sure. Pep and Klopp are elite, but they also have players like De Bruyne, Salah, Mane, Concelo etc... In our team Pogba and Ronaldo are supposed to be superstars - and they are - but just not at the right place at the right time sadly.

So we are 1 great manager away and 2 great players (for a long run) away from being a decent team.

Even Chelsea is dropping slowly because they don't have superstars to cary them when times are tough. Mane and Salah can do that.

Dante

Average bang
So is every team in the Premier League. But, yeah, I take your point.

A weaker version of this group of players got 3rd place in 2020 and 2nd place in 2021.

They broke all-time records for remaining unbeaten away from home. And they also broke a record for comeback wins after going a goal down. And they got the record biggest win in PL history. And at one point had the most clean sheets in Europe.

So there's undeniable quality there. And there's a obviously a good team spirit when the mood takes them. It just needs to be coaxed out again.

There's a pervasive video-gamer's mentality on here that our football can be fixed with just formations and transfers. But there's more to people than that. And United's squad are people before they're footballers. If it were anything else, you wouldn't see such massive swings in form from game to game and from half to half.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Get a system. Stick to it. Recruit for and towards realising that system. Get better at buying and selling players. Use youth for the squad players instead of expensive contract renewals. It’s easy really. They’ve made such a mess of something that should have been simple with the amount of the clubs money they are throwing at it

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
A bit of positivity...

Hindsight is 20/20 for a lot of people. It is ridiculous. But, I agree with you sentiment that we are one good manager from getting back to where we are suppose to be. Getting Ralf in as a consultant seems like we might be heading in the right direction, moreover the candidates we are looking into for our next manager. We should follow the same formula of giving our next manager financial backing because without it we would be struggling even more than we are.

Yeh I keep saying if Klopp can turn a fairly average Liverpool team into world champions then we need our own elite manager who can do the same for us. It’s the only way we will achieve success but the problem is finding that person and convincing them to join us.

I hope the board are bombarding Ten Haag with love letters right now!

mctrials23

City and Liverpool both have fantastic structures and people throughout. A good manager can hide all manner of issues but those issues will always come to the surface sooner or later. Spurs have been run reasonably well from certain angles but we saw what happened to them after they stumbled in the CL at the last hurdle. They didn't "go again" they crumbled. They also have 2 players that absolutely carry their team time and time again. Son and Kane.

All the top clubs in the world have a fantastic structure from top to bottom and they don't suffer fools at any level. That includes the playing staff. United are poorly run from top to bottom and we encourage our players to behave like entitled *****.

A good manager will improve us a lot but lets not kid ourselves that it will do any real good long term if the board isn't supportive and if we don't start to operate like a modern rich football club.

Seveneric

I feel like I've heard this before. It was supposed to the LVG, then Mourinho, so hopefully 3rd (not counting Moyes, OGS and Rangnick) time's the charm.

RooneyLegend

How much money did Pep and Klopp spend? So... we're one great (not good) manager and a mountain of money (on top of the money we've already spent) away from being competitive.
Since we don't have that, maybe we should be a bit more forgiving towards the Man Utd players we have at the moment.
When did money become a problem for us?

RooneyLegend

City and Liverpool both have fantastic structures and people throughout. A good manager can hide all manner of issues but those issues will always come to the surface sooner or later. Spurs have been run reasonably well from certain angles but we saw what happened to them after they stumbled in the CL at the last hurdle. They didn't "go again" they crumbled. They also have 2 players that absolutely carry their team time and time again. Son and Kane.

All the top clubs in the world have a fantastic structure from top to bottom and they don't suffer fools at any level. That includes the playing staff. United are poorly run from top to bottom and we encourage our players to behave like entitled *****.

A good manager will improve us a lot but lets not kid ourselves that it will do any real good long term if the board isn't supportive and if we don't start to operate like a modern rich football club.
Our board is very supportive, they've just invested in the wrong guys. If we threw the money we did at the inept coaches that we had at a really great coach we'd start moving in the right direction in a hurry.

Zen86

We have a talented squad, albeit with a couple glaring holes. The capability is largely there. We’re only one good manager away from being back in the game, however we have a habit of backing the wrong horse.

Litch

The stuff that’s unfolding suggests it’s going to be very much dependent on what happens in the next few months. There are a lot of players potentially leaving along with the recruitment of a new manage…..

Lee565

I know it's been the in thing to bash our squads as not being supposedly good enough under van gaal, Mourinho, ole and ragnick but even under a clearly past it van gaal and Mourinho we actually won trophies, now imagine if we had both of them managers in their prime what other trophies they could have won with the same players?

I don't know how fans can be so blind to the fact this is what we have been missing since fergie left, a top class manager still in their prime, simple as that. Also winning the league has been as hard as it has ever been with pep taking it to another level with the points tally that is needed to win the league

tomaldinho1

We'll get there, it's just been a bit of a comedy of errors on the managerial front and it took us too long to modernise our approach to transfers.

Football is a really simple game, you have maybe 10 (max) top level managers in Europe who are proven and 9 times out of 10 the winner of those will simply be the one with the most money. You can think certain managers are better than others but what is undeniable is United have not had a top class manager since SAF and our PL rivals (City, Pool, Chelsea) have all had at least one. We've all spent a shit tonne with City clearly top of that pile. Guess which teams have won trophies?

zenith

We have turned it around so often that we keep running in circles

Oranges038

The squad right now is quite similar to the one Fergie took over, some good players in there. Back then they preferred drinking to working hard on playing football and being the best, he had to weed them out. Now they aren't drinking heavily that we know of, a lot of them just prefer to dick about on other crap, football just isn't their top priority and it looke like they don't really care about being the best.

A fair bit of weeding to be done. So it's got to be one good manager who will conduct a proper clearout and bring in players with the right attitude and quality.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
that’s what the chinese restaurant near me thought and when their new manager was caught interfering with the low grade meat he was buying wholesale for their chow meins, they had to close down.

Canagel

We're not. Most of our players are overrated and not good enough.

We need better players and a top manager.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
We have a talented squad, albeit with a couple glaring holes. The capability is largely there. We’re only one good manager away from being back in the game, however we have a habit of backing the wrong horse.
You have a group of talented players that sometimes shines because of individual brilliance.
The big question is whether there is a system that fits these group of players and can make them even stronger as an unit.

Even more importantly are these talented players ready to work hard enough to implement a new system. Recent it's releases and interview (Shaw and Ronaldo) cast a big doubt about the professionalism and attitude of some of the players.

If some of the leaks are true that players feel overwhelmed with tactics, detailed nstructions where they have to play and analyses of their mistakes, then i can only wonder what outcry and reaction a perfectionist like Pep would cause. He puts the system always over individual brilliance and expects players to fully buy into his philosophy.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
White text in the title where it says, "Plus Some Good Players"?

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
So it's got to be one good manager who will conduct a proper clearout and bring in players with the right attitude and quality.
Think you need 2 managers. One who clears out and lays the foundation. Then another manager who actually implements a successful system.
Fergie's great strength was that he could do both but even him this task took years. These days he wouldn't have been given that time.

ETH maybe can successfully imminent his system afterwards but i strongly doubt he will be strong enough to do both.

wolvored

The thing is at the moment this team is a mishmash of players bought in and promoted from within, that all suit different styles. The manager recruitment hasnt had a thought either. Not one of our managers post Fergie have aligned with the previous ones ideas on how to play.

The only way I can see forward is to pick a system we will play going forward. Murtough/Fletcher and maybe Rangnick to decide (lets say possession just as an example) then get the best manager we can get to implement this. Let him sign at least 4 players, the spine of the team who can play this. Move on 4-5 players who cant play this system for whatever reason, even if they cost a fortune. Get all the reserve/youth teams below to play this way as well. Replace the coaches at this level if they dont suit the system. If this isnt working (as in finishing at least top 4/no trophies}, after 2-3 seasons and with signings/promotions of players who suit this style, dont scrap everything, just pick the next possession based manager we can get. Eventually within the next 5-6 years at most we should have a winning formula.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't know. I'm kinda losing hope. In my eyes it's on the players now. Ole was a very nice, respectful manager, basically handling the player with care and they disappointed. Now we have Ralf, a fecking intertim manager and there were already stories about how some of the players don't like him and it also showed on the pitch in several games. What kind of manager do they want exactly? do they think the likes of Klopp and Pep will put up with their shit? no it's the opposite. They had it easy. Even now it's still an easy mode for some of them. The players have too much power.

Dookingham United

I have to say that I don't think that we are anywhere near where we should be. Even if we get a top manager in, any success will only be temporary.

This is why I think that -
Our rivals have built the clubs up so that they were ready for the arrival of the elite manager (City had Begiristain come in and lay the groundwork for Pep and they improved their club in nearly every area to a higher level then us. They saw what the future of football was and moved towards that with purpose to the point that they are one of the best run clubs in the world now. Liverpool had FSG takeover, and being a sports company they did the same as City.)
Now those clubs are ready for the future, they have elite structures and plans so that they know what to do and when (City had a player with incredible potential in Torres who they let join Barcelona for £46.7m, potentially rising to over £50m, just 18 months after joining from Valencia for £20.7m. Was that the best move? Will he turn out to be one of the world's best players? Only time will tell, but it shows that City want a team with the right abilities and mentality to play for them and if something changes they let them go. And they get a profit for them.
Compare that to United - We have a midfielder that some say is the world's best that we are going to let go for free again. He has always given the impression that he is bigger than Utd and has been consistent only in his inconsistency. (We got rid of these superstars in the past) We have a CB that is our captain who seems to have the weakest mentality of our group coupled with a lack of ability to play at the very top.
We should have plans for who to get and when, but we don't do that. Varane is available - buy. Ronaldo available - buy. Sancho has been chased for ages - finally get him. Where they who we need and when we need them? Varane - absolutely. Ronaldo and Sancho? Not over our midfield.
When we get a new manager, whoever you want, we will still be at the mercy of the people who run our club who do not understand football. They will force decisions on the manager like players that do not suit our team for the sake of shirt sales etc. because we are being run as a business.

Clubs like City and Liverpool are lightyears ahead of us in terms of how to run a football club and when the next change in football comes around we will be left without a chair just like we were when SOF left.

DanielofLeyland

We need a manager who is tactically astute but can also create a culture within the club.

Moyes froze on the big stage and probably didn't have the respect of the players used to playing under SAF. Van Gaal and Mourinho may have had a tactical vision but didn't instil a culture where the team played for one another and enjoyed their football. Solksjaer brought squad harmony but was tactically inept.

SAF was famous for his hairdryer treatment but a lot of players also saw him as a father figure. We need the right balance of authority and concern along with a clear vision for success in order to succeed.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
No we're one solved problem away from dealing with the next unsolved problem you can't yet see because you're thinking sequentially and not structurally.

crossy1686

career ending
Stop putting so much stock in a manager as a saviour. We need to get the recruitment and culture right if we’re to be successful again. It doesn’t matter who the manager is if we don’t allow him to clear house and rebuild no matter the cost or how painful it gets.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This is what Watford keep thinking and keep finding it makes no difference with the same players. There's far more to it. Good recuitment being the main thing.

honirelandboy

It's the way the club is run is the major issue. Giving players like Matic, Mata, Jones, Cavani new contracts when they should be moved on and replaced.
Luke Shaw is on 150K a week and doesn't deserve it. Robertson was on 60K up to this summer and increased his wages to 100K with the new contract and he deserved it. Rashford is on 200k and demanding 300k to sign a new contract and doesn't deserve it.
We have average inconsistant overpaid players who don't deserve the wages and think they are better than they are. They have an easy ride at United. Pogba is looking for 500K a week and has done sweet feck all at United.

If we get two center midfielders we have a chance but the club is run rotten from top to bottom and no manager can fix that.

James Peril

As is every team in the world, relative to their realistic ceiling. It’s quite naive to think Erik ten Hag suddenly changes everything - the man has never managed a big team in a big league, he is the custodian of the top dog in a tiny league where the institutional setup has nothing to do with him. Seeing him fail in a new league would not be surprising at all, to be honest the odds would be in favor of just that at United. In a world with Pep and Klopp, we have very little chance to compete… but they will disappear soon enough. That’s pretty much what they said about Sir Alex for 20 odd years too.

Lentwood

A bit of positivity...

Couldn't disagree more. Pep and Klopp are fantastic but they were only able to be as successful as they have been because of the excellent work done under the radar by the likes of Txiki Begiristain and Michael Edwards.

Until we get recruitment, selling and the wage structure right, we're doomed to keep underwhelming on the pitch

Giggsy13

I disagree with this completely. With all due respect that’s probably the view of our incompetent board. Yes we need a good manager but the squad needs addressing. It’s not as simple as Poch or Ten Hag coming in and suddenly we’re competing for the title. We need at least 2 midfielders, striker and CB. New manager plus backing of at least £300 million is more like it. But kudos to you for at least trying to be positive, it’s a nice change.

steffyr2

When did money become a problem for us?
Haven't you heard? Our owners are evil blood-sucking leeches. \s
Anyone, even an owner who's a small oil-rich country might eventually get tired of throwing money away.

Oranges038

Think you need 2 managers. One who clears out and lays the foundation. Then another manager who actually implements a successful system.
Fergie's great strength was that he could do both but even him this task took years. These days he wouldn't have been given that time.

ETH maybe can successfully imminent his system afterwards but i strongly doubt he will be strong enough to do both.
Yeah, there's a lot of tough decsions to be made on players, some just need to go, some need to given an ultimatum, they either shape up or ship out.

I don't think any manager is going to be given the time to, by the club or the fans, unless maybe there is clear signs of progress towards building a competitive and successful squad.

lex talionis

It will require a manager AND a rebuild of the squad to enable United to compete with the top three. Quite a few top players will be gone this summer and they will need to be replaced.